Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: NDA Lifts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The NDA has officially lifted for those players who have been beta testing Red 5's Firefall. Our own Grakulen has been a busy guy and has several awesome videos to show off some of Firefall's features.

Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Well in that case I will say.

I know it is beta but I seriously Hope that.

1. FPS is improved the game has major FPS issues at times.

2. That Character Models/Customization is improved major on release.

3. More customization because some battle frames look like crap.

Although it is still beta so only time will tell on release.

Hey speeaking of this game it makes me think about StarShip Troopers the game/movie.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Seems to have gone from annouced to NDA lifted in a couple months to me? That can't be a good sign can it?

..and I hate the way they have copied the Borderlands art style. I loved it in Borderlands, but not in copies.. no thanks.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Noone is expecting miracles out of this game but maybe that is a good thing.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Waited so long for this game and now that i've seen the character creation, I'm glad i stopped waiting.  Did they not label this game as a AAA quality   game that was f2p? and they are taking their sweet time to ensure that it is that good?  I can list many  F2P games what are not even near AAA and have a character creation process with infinitely more depth.

At least know i know why this game isn't out yet.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

i've been in the beta over a month.  

the main problem is lag.  monsters fairly regularly will warp/teleport to catch up with their long-distance lunges.

i was really surprised at how fast and mobile they make all the players and monsters.   there's constant up and down motion, and frequent back and forth as your jumpjets get enough recharge to kick in again, and most of the mobs are able to leap great distances.   while feeling really great and looking really great when things are going smoothly, these kinds of motions are known to exacerbate the perception of lag.   and so far they do.  i wonder if they will tone alot of that down severely, or be able to come up with the right tricks to make it seem less laggy.

if they can fix that, and get an acceptable amount of varied missions, environments, & mobs, ai behaviours, i can see the potential for this game to be a VERY big hit. 

i'm NOT PREDICTING that it will.

cuz along with depending on how much content it launches with, it will also take some time for pure FPS players to realize there is finally now a proper virtual world FPS option.  all those people that have ignored the MMO space so far........ it may take awhile before they are able to create a big hit out of this type of game.  by getting that critical mass going.  the potential audience needs time to be made aware of its existence.

needs an FFA arena mode for me personally.  and optional open world PVP (not coming until sometime AFTER release), but then it would be pretty close to the game i've been waiting for since 1999.

it takes the dream of Neocron and Endless Ages, and gets rid of most of the vertical progression, to feel like an uncompromized FPS experience.  at least with my limited experience.  i haven't PVP'ed but just a couple matches, since i don't play team games that rely on a predetermined set number of factions/sides (2).  its possible that they fail on the short vertical progression that they've been touting, but if they do it right, PVP should be fairly even.   or at least alot moreso than other virtual worlds have done so far.

so still some things left up in the air that could screw things up, but what is there is an EXTREMELY solid foundation.  at least game design wise.

and the world is beautiful and immersive.  well worth exploring.  ifyou have the remotest interest in FPS games you should check it out.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Clocksimus

Waited so long for this game and now that i've seen the character creation, I'm glad i stopped waiting.  Did they not label this game as a AAA quality   game that was f2p? and they are taking their sweet time to ensure that it is that good?  I can list many  F2P games what are not even near AAA and have a character creation process with infinitely more depth.

At least know i know why this game isn't out yet.

SOME of the apperance limitations are intentional.  much of its f2p cash shop design is to charge money for visual customization.

Corpus Callosum    

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Vannor

Seems to have gone from annouced to NDA lifted in a couple months to me? That can't be a good sign can it?

..and I hate the way they have copied the Borderlands art style. I loved it in Borderlands, but not in copies.. no thanks.

It got announced in 2010.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Third person shooter mixed with cel shading...for me, those are 2 cons right off the bat.  Ah well, I can take this one off my radar.  

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by elocke

Third person shooter mixed with cel shading...for me, those are 2 cons right off the bat.  Ah well, I can take this one off my radar.  

You can switch between 1st and 3rd person.

But the cell shading.....thats there to stay :).

another important thing to mention for oldschoolers......

there's extremely little penalty for jumping/flying and constantly moving at fullspeed.

the crosshairs do spread a bit and become slightly less accurate for SOME (but not ALL!) weapons, but its not much of a factor to worry about most of the time.

so no need for slow motion ironsights bullshit, and being motionless and crouching while shooting.  focus both on moving and aiming simultaneously, to your hearts content.

this is no slow tedious military style crap.   expect Quake/Unreal type oldschool action.

Corpus Callosum    

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Originally posted by Vannor

Firefall was announced well over a year ago, if I remember correctly.  I have been following its progress somewhat.  It has been in closed beta since November, I think.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by corpusc

another important thing to mention for oldschoolers......

there's extremely little penalty for jumping/flying and constantly moving at fullspeed.

the crosshairs do spread a bit and become slightly less accurate for SOME (but not ALL!) weapons, but its not much of a factor to worry about most of the time.

so no need for slow motion ironsights bullshit, and being motionless and crouching while shooting.  focus both on moving and aiming simultaneously, to your hearts content.

this is no slow tedious military style crap.   expect Quake/Unreal type oldschool action.

That's a good thing to hear. Currentlys pending a whole lot of time playing Tribes Ascend, I do not think I could ever again play a slow "modern style" shooter ever again. Missed that feeling of speed and frantic action over step-by-step with eye glued to iron sight that recent tiles offered. 

Speaking of that... are there rocket jumps in Firefall..or something like that? 

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

Looks promising....

However, it is free, so i will try it.

Hard to complain about a game thats free...

Uhh... what?

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by corpusc

That's a good thing to hear. Currentlys pending a whole lot of time playing Tribes Ascend, I do not think I could ever again play a slow "modern style" shooter ever again. Missed that feeling of speed and frantic action over step-by-step with eye glued to iron sight that recent tiles offered. 

while perhaps not totally pointless, the fact everyone has jumpjets similar to Tribes, i would imagine would keep you from wanting to do that in most situations.

not sure tho, i'll have to try that to see if you get a little extra boost, or height.  haven't noticed getting a bounce out of my blast radius gun tho.

Corpus Callosum    

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Ezhae

You have a JETPACK... why would there be rocket jumps?

There are however Gliders in the PvE world, which are used to cover vast distances.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I had hoped more from this IP, but being f2p shouldn't mean it has to have the lack of customization that it does.

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

Guys, remember that it's beta - you can't say there is really a lack of customization, they just put up the brand new character creation screen, which they said in patch notes is still in the "works". Relax y'all, don't jump on the hater bandwagon just yet, the PvP in this game is really solid and fun.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Been in the beta for awhile now and I find the game fun.The graphics dont bother me that much at least not the world and pve mobs but I dont really care for the character models myself.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

The art work just seems bad to me.  The cell shading should have been optional, like in Champions.  Was looking forward to this title, but now....I think I'll pass.

• VindictiivVindictiiv Member UncommonPosts: 21

The game is fun especially for just being in Beta.

So yeah some people care because they actually enjoy gaming - not just being a hateful troll because their RL sucks.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Looks cool to me personally.  Will be trying it out when it hits open beta or release for sure. 

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

This is a real Closed Beta and Red5 have made it evident that character customization, as of this phase, is barely more than an afterthought. Bug squashing and balance refining now, pretty princess later. The NDA only fell to prove the company has an open developent environment.

And why is everyone pitching a fit at the whole idea of it being free. Is nobody happy unless someone else is digging through their wallet?

I also have no idea whats wrong with the graphics that people are seeing, because the game looks fantastic on my end. I suppose having more than three colors is frightening to today's gamers.

Why everyone is bashing Firefall and praising the likes of Planetside 2 baffles me.

One will be fair for everyone, one lets you rent guns.

</rant>

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

its gonna be a good game

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Yep, just being able to turn off the outline in champions made the graphics much better to me.

• SillyPantzSillyPantz Member UncommonPosts: 15

love the game and pvp, everything! great game