Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am now concerned about this game

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Who has 2 thumbs and won't spend a penny til' he can play it in beta?

THIS GUY.

imageimage

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Margrave

I was excited for TSW forever, until recently.

The three character slots only, the three quest limit, etc...

Some of these limitations are turnoffs for me. Then I saw their pricing structure. It comes across as a moneygrab to me.

Also, anytime a game offers a lifetime sub. it ends up a free to play title. To me when a company offers a $200 lifetime sub they're just trying to get as much as they can as fast because they know it will be a free to play title before long.

I now look forward to trying the f2p release of TSW.

Both Funcom's F2P titles....really arent.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I don't really mind supporting Funcom.  EA is just the publisher of the product.  It lets them add a little extra clout to Origins.  There are some fresh ideas going into TSW.  That gives them a lot more leeway to add new and interesting features to the game down the road.  Having three factions instead of just two will open up worlds of new possibilities for PvP.  Just imagine what they could have done with DAoC with a modern day engine?  Plus, it sounds challenging.  Hopefully they don't Funcom up the release this time. 

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

LOL @ lifetime subs to a game still under NDA 1 month from release.

Sounds like EA mischief to me...

edit: or has the nda been lifted? I see alot of people in this thread talking about the game in great detail...

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Talonsin

A few red flags have been triggered by this recent annoucnement of life time subs.

1. The game currently does not have any beta at the moment, beta invites go out sometime this month but the game launches on June 19th.  Seems like a very short beta and not enough time to correct the issues that are identified in beta.

2. The lifetime sub being thrown out before a beta and at a cost just a hair above the one year price.

3. The current gameplay videos look clunky.  I understand some may be older but you would think that right before an annoucement for pre-orders you would release some of your best videos to entice people into buying.

4. The cash shop is being built in from the start with pets and inventory space leading me to believe that F2P is a viable option that FunCom has as a backup plan after the inital launch. 

I was really excited about this one and was thinking of grabbing the life time sub but now I am seriously rethinking it.

Life time subs..Really..How many players do you really think buys this just like that.??

It's 200 dollars..So If you waste that much on a game your not very serious about, well then I must say..suit your self..

You mean it doesnt have an open beta..Im sure they are testing it right now,,

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Alucardlb

Originally posted by Gwahlur

Originally posted by Alucardlb

and for people who say " all yea he isnt in the beta" here is a hint, you can only have 3 quests at any one time, those in the beta know what im talking about.

That's commonly known though, the devs have said so several times. Any other proof?

Never played illuminati so this is just about dragons and templars

Alright here you go, they just added Dragon to the mix, at least dragon and templars have the same character intro videos, you are laying in bed,a bug flys in your mouth you have magic powers and at this point the only thing that changes based on your factions is who comes to your door after you eat the bug and get your voodoo powers. You are then tossed into a really nice looking city,  its more or less empty with nothing to explore, you wander down the road from point a to point b, why are you doing this, i dont know you really dont have a choice so you just go along with it.

Once you get to point B you meet a random woman and some dude with a bunch of tattoos that look like something a 5 year old did with sidewalk chalk. Anyways she takes you to a room and she starts talking about how you have all these choices but you have none as the conversatin just goes on with nothing you can add to it. when she is done she climbs on top of you, kisses you then goes down on you * not even joking*

(if you are a templar, at this point are at a rally in a park and you passout)

You then wake up in a subway system with 3 other people and its all panic and crazy, then some monsters come though the vents to your left, the door closed in front of you opens and you run though the sub system fighting monsters ( more or less your normal here is how you play the game tutorial)

NOTE: this is the same tutorial for both factions, this is all a dream or something they keep calling you sara. 

Thern you get dumped into a city based on your faction where they give you weapons and you can look at skills and whatnot, then they leave you on your own to find agartha, its this wierd portal world, once your done with this you end up in the city of Kingsmouth * note this is the same town for both factions*

is that enough stuff to prove im not pulling shit out of my ass?

all im saying with my past comment was at the very least if your a fan of this game, save your money and wait till more info is out, im not going on about how you should play this game or that, just that this game isnt want is was made out to be .

Not really.  *Almost* everything you mention is in the 35 minute video linked in another thread on this site.  Anyone even remotely following this game knows this stuff, especially if they go to a certain well known beta leak website which will go unnamed here because I don't want to get banned.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Charas

edit: or has the nda been lifted? I see alot of people in this thread talking about the game in great detail...

You realize EA is only handling retail distribution, right?  If EA is behind the LTSs, why doesn't SWTOR have one?  People need to stop blaming EA for Funcom's greed.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Originally posted by Charas

People need to stop blaming EA for Funcom's greed.

Tell me how a lifetime  sub has anything to do with greed.. ..There will only be a selected few that will buy this on chance..So how is this greed ?

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Yeah, actually I thought I heard something about that, but what exactly does it mean...quest of each type?

Hmmmm, I can't really remember the three types atm.... "Regular" quests, investigation quests, and... ? ....

They have split quests into 3 different categories at least

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Could you imagine Cryptic and Funcom pairing up?

I just shuddered with terror.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Beta leaks are all saying the game is trash.

Big surprise.

There is a reason we know almost nothing about the game, so close to the launch.

Avoid at all costs, nothing more than a money grab, 200$ lifetime subs with the NDA still in place should be more than enough.

How many signs do you need?

Ahhh who cares, we all know you are gonna buy 4 lifetime subs to support Funcom.

Enjoy your ragequit after 2 weeks.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by spaceport

Beta leaks are all saying the game is trash.

Big surprise.

There is a reason we know almost nothing about the game, so close to the launch.

Avoid at all costs, nothing more than a money grab, 200$ lifetime subs with the NDA still in place should be more than enough.

How many signs do you need?

Ahhh who cares, we all know you are gonna buy 4 lifetime subs to support Funcom.

Enjoy your ragequit after 2 weeks.

HAHA! only there is no ragequit. There is only "Why oh why didn't I listen to all that sound advice on MMORPG.com?"

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

The atmosphere and feeling of the game was really making me interested but still with NDA and game soon to launch there's a big risk on wasting money. 

Originally posted by bloodaxes

The atmosphere and feeling of the game was really making me interested but still with NDA and game soon to launch there's a big risk on wasting money. 

It's ..well 2 months before the game get's reeleased..There is nothing wrong with having the NDA intact

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

You know how when you get so excited for something and even though you know when the time comes its not going to be near as good as you had always antisipated but it dosnt matter cause the excitement you felt was part of what made it worth it all anyway, thats how I feel about this game at the moment. 

I dont know whos with me when they can honestly say "im so fricken sick of themepark instanced games that I could puke", but mmo players arnt sissy boys and we have to accept what is out there.  Im willing to look past the standard mmo fair and consume what good the game can bring. 

I dont understand though, where are all the spread sheets and number crunchers that every other mmo deals with.  Why dont I know what kinda playerbase this game is going to have and how well its going to do in todays market?  Is this game going to be a niche game to a few hundread thousand or even less, like 50-125k?  I keep up with my mmos and I have posted many times on TSW's forums, but it puzzles me this game what its trying to acomplish.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by eycel

You know how when you get so excited for something and even though you know when the time comes its not going to be near as good as you had always antisipated but it dosnt matter cause the excitement you felt was part of what made it worth it all anyway, thats how I feel about this game at the moment. 

I dont know whos with me when they can honestly say "im so fricken sick of themepark instanced games that I could puke", but mmo players arnt sissy boys and we have to accept what is out there.  Im willing to look past the standard mmo fair and consume what good the game can bring. 

That's exactly why we keep getting fed the same garbage because we keep eating it. Perhaps it's time we collectively try a different approach? Say, not spending our money on crap?

Just a thought. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Zekiah

That's exactly why we keep getting fed the same garbage because we keep eating it. Perhaps it's time we collectively try a different approach? Say, not spending our money on crap?

Just a thought. image

But what if some of us like what we play, for whatever reasons that people like you don't? Despite the buggy launch I had an awesome time in AoC, great guilds I was in, made some great friends, and overall had a fun gaming experience, just what I was looking for, for the money I spent on it.

Are we allowed to play games that you dislike or find crap? Or should we join your crusade against companies of games you had a bad time in? Because the other way around, I'm ok with if you don't play a game that I like.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Just a thought. image

But what if some of us like what we play, for whatever reasons that people like you don't? Despite the buggy launch I had an awesome time in AoC, great guilds I was in, made some great friends, and overall had a fun gaming experience, just what I was looking for, for the money I spent on it.

Are we allowed to play games that you dislike or find crap? Or should we join your crusade against companies of games you had a bad time in? Because the other way around, I'm ok with if you don't play a game that I like.

Are you asking me for permission to buy the game? Consumers are free to make their own decisions but if you need help please let me know. I know it can be difficult at times making the correct decisions so it's good we can all discuss our thoughts and feelings freely before purchases which we can then ignore if we like.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Are you asking me for permission to buy the game? Consumers are free to make their own decisions but if you need help please let me know. I know it can be difficult at times making the correct decisions so it's good we can all discuss our thoughts and feelings freely before purchases which we can then ignore if we like.

Seems that you know what's good for all other MMO gamers, so that's why I asked. I think it's going pretty well, everyone posting their thoughts and feelings.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by emota

Awesome, did you just wake up or has your ignorance been in slumber? The TSW closed beta has been live for ages under a strict NDA, your post is rediculous at best!

Couple of things...

1. There is no easily accessible information on any ongoing beta on the website.  There is only a mention of beta invites going out soon to those who have pre-purchased things to get an automatic invite.   It was a simple mistake but still seems odd that those that were promised beta invites still have not gotten in yet.

2. Your statement makes no sense.  You said "did you just wake up or has your ignorance been in slumber".  If my ignorance has been in slumber, how would my post be ignorant?  If I just woke up, are you implying I have not eaten breakfast yet and might not post at my fullest potential?  What you should have posted were two negative things like "Are you a moron or just braindead"? Hope this helps for your future trolling efforts.

3. At least I can spell ridiculous.

In the end, who is the most ignorant?  The one who displays ignorance or the one wasting his time pointing out the ignorant one? 

Your missing the glaringly obvious point, TSW has been in beta for ages, the longest period for any Funcom product prior to release, just because your not involved or didnt know about  this means it isnt happening in your opinion? wrong, like i say its been in testing for a long time! [Mod edit]

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The fact that so many of you are being negative about this game, makes me like it a lot more.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Awesome, did you just wake up or has your ignorance been in slumber? The TSW closed beta has been live for ages under a strict NDA, your post is rediculous at best!

Couple of things...

1. There is no easily accessible information on any ongoing beta on the website.  There is only a mention of beta invites going out soon to those who have pre-purchased things to get an automatic invite.   It was a simple mistake but still seems odd that those that were promised beta invites still have not gotten in yet. 

Your missing the glaringly obvious point, TSW has been in beta for ages, the longest period for any Funcom product prior to release, just because your not involved or didnt know about  this means it isnt happening in your opinion? wrong, like i say its been in testing for a long time! This is fact, get your ignorance around it.

Exactly. When you get into the beta Talonsin be it closed or open beta go back and look at the first forum post. You'll see it has been going on for awhile. They did this for Rise of the Godslayer. I didn't get into closed beta for that until two months before release. I checked the forums and the posts to see it went back months.

In a way I'm glad I didn't get in until the later stages. A lot of stuff is missing in the early stages, lots of bugs, poor performance, etc. I'm older now and don't have that kind of patience anymore, haha.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• loradoveloradove Member UncommonPosts: 62

Just a reminder, there has been a number of posts here concerning the game in its beta stage. The game is still under NDA, please refrain from discussing it.

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Fallen40

Originally posted by loradove

Just a reminder, there has been a number of posts here concerning the game in its beta stage. The game is still under NDA, please refrain from discussing it.

[Mod Edit]

Or maybe they're just a bit more careful about what they promise and show you because of the things gone horribly wrong back at AoC launch, where they hyped and hyped the game and everything, you know, one of the reasons why so many people spill a lot of hate on Funcom...

Showing everything you have to show long before launch can go horribly wrong, because an overhyped product is unable to live up to the expectations AND there's the possibility that people get fed up with news and finally lose interested.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by TheSedated

Originally posted by Fallen40

Originally posted by loradove

Because they don't want you to know the truth and Funcom are an advertiser on this site. It has knob all to do with NDA's and beta's etc. 

Or maybe they're just a bit more careful about what they promise and show you because of the things gone horribly wrong back at AoC launch, where they hyped and hyped the game and everything, you know, one of the reasons why so many people spill a lot of hate on Funcom...

Showing everything you have to show long before launch can go horribly wrong, because an overhyped product is unable to live up to the expectations AND there's the possibility that people get fed up with news and finally lose interested.

Possibly.  But there is a way of talking about features and releasing information about a game without 'hyping' it.  Either many features are incomplete or they just don't want people finding out excactly what kind of game it is.  It's in testing period so an NDA is understandable.  Just bothers me when companies (EDIT:  companies like Funcom, with their reputation of poor launches) ask you to pay sums of money for preorders and character slots and fancy starter weapons money before they drop the NDA.  Then again I don't preorder games, so maybe I am different.

This discussion has been closed.