Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Final Beta Weeked Arrives

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

En Masse Entertainment has laid out the details of the final beta weekend. Starting today, Friday, April 6th and continuing through midnight Sunday, April 8th, the event will give players a last opportunity to try out and provide feedback for TERA prior to its May 1st launch.

In this last event, the Valkyon Federation, bolstered by a surge of new soldiers, strikes back at its foes, reestablishing control of troubled realms, and upsetting the meticulous plans of its enemies. In an effort to destabilize the federation and disrupt its momentum, Thulsa has decided to launch attacks at the relatively unprotected capital—Velika. The evil god is gathering a small army of monsters to fling them at the City of Wheels. The Mysterium's arcanists detected Thulsa's plans and alerted Fraya, who sent word to Velika. With little forewarning, will the federation be able to defend the city and thwart Thulsa's machinations? Be ready for a call to action in the evening hours of Friday and Saturday!

Read more on the TERA site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

[Mod Edit]

Set sail for F2P + Cash Shop within 6 months, when they start begging for new players.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

IMHO I like it a lot, both for gameplay and graphics, but if it fails, it will be because of how easy it is (until level 30's or so I'm told) which might turn off new players, the speed to level cap, and the pretty basic MMO features. That said, I did preorder it, but I don't expect to play it long-term.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Last Tera fun until it, hopefully, goes f2p in the future for me. I love the combat but everything else about the game is either blah or stinks for me. Here's to one last time! 

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

It doesn't get any better than having people who have never even tried the game, talk about how bad it is o_O.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by KWIGG77

[Mod EDit]

There's been plenty of beta keys gone out, I'm sure most if not everyone who was curious about the game got to try it at this point. I don't know why you think you're exclusive, or something. There's nothing new about the combat system in this day and age. If you think twitch combat is new, you need to expand your horizons a bit. It's only action-oriented if you're a meleer, if you're a caster it's the same as it always was; move out of the way of immediate danger, then stand still and throw fire and ice at things. How very dynamic.

I enjoyed teaming on my cleric, but there's not enough reason to do so and the solo play is boring and monotonous. I honestly enjoyed RaiderZ far more.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by agriffin85

It doesn't get any better than having people who have never even tried the game, talk about how bad it is o_O.

welcome to MMORPG!

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

[Mod Edit]

There's been plenty of beta keys gone out, I'm sure most if not everyone who was curious about the game got to try it at this point. I don't know why you think you're exclusive, or something. There's nothing new about the combat system in this day and age. If you think twitch combat is new, you need to expand your horizons a bit. It's only action-oriented if you're a meleer, if you're a caster it's the same as it always was; move out of the way of immediate danger, then stand still and throw fire and ice at things. How very dynamic.

I enjoyed teaming on my cleric, but there's not enough reason to do so and the solo play is boring and monotonous. I honestly enjoyed RaiderZ far more.

I stopped reading right THERE.  Good luck with that reasoning...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by agriffin85

[Mod Edit]

I stopped reading right THERE.  Good luck with that reasoning...

Im not sure what he was doing...

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    This is one worth trying if your tired of the same themepark gameplay. Sure, you can quest your way to endgame (or not) and 1-20 is pretty linear but it opens to a lot of group content and gameplay options. It has 95% of the systems you see in the titles up until now, plus some extras. Lastly, do not overlook who runs it. EME has done everything you could ask from a publisher. They are not just stewards of the game in NA but can hangs major parts of the gameplay. If you don't already know about TERA you should take some time to do so as this is a quality AAA MMO.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• SpunnySpunny Member Posts: 4

This game is just awesome :)

last weekend i tested the beta in the eu.

i tested loads of mmo's the last few years and stopped playing after 10/15 lvl's

but this one is different i want MORE and MORE!!!!!

and i can tell you thats a very long time ago for me. (Lotro at the start)

• BigHatLogan2BigHatLogan2 Member Posts: 16

I really like this game mainly due to the combat and open world pking.  The combat is awesome. Twitch combat has been tried before in mmorpg's like AoC and Darkfall, but TERA actually gets it right.  It is very smooth and tactical.  It feels a lot like Dark Souls which is a good thing.  For those who aren't into pking, the BAM's are cool PVE contant and it has both instanced and open world dungeons.  Combat is really what makes or breaks mmorpgs, and TERA has the best on the market and still beats out the future competition in development.  Since it is what you do 95% of the time in mmorpgs, it really makes the game great and gives them a nice base to build around. 

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

I had no interest in this game. However, I was able to get a beta key from the last giveaway and tried it out. I had loads of fun! I loved the combat.

• KWIGG77KWIGG77 Member Posts: 7

[Mod Edit]

Interesting... You honestly can tell me that the combat in this game has been done before? I mean variations of it have been attempted but this game actually has it's own very unique approach. And as a caster you cannot tab target, cast... oh wait i wasn't facing my target... auto turn... and cast with one key. You do have to aim, you have to know your distance to the target, you need to be mobile. As I type this I am not really sure why I am defending the game to idiotic posts like this that are just... well flat out lies but whatever. I hope people do try the game for themselves and not listen to the drones. Sorry if the game was not your cup of tea, but call it what it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I applied for beta but never got an invite.....My interest has pretty much waned since reading the beta leaks on it.....Like most of you I'm guessing it will be f2p within a few months and maybe I'll look at it then.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

The combat system is the best  in an mmo that I have seen so far, and has not really been done before in an mmo like this.  The closest I have seen is maybe Champions, but you don't have to depend on aiming like you do in Tera.  It makes the game much more interactive and exciting to play in my opinion.  The previous posts about casters is totally wrong as you have to be aiming the whole time as you are moving about to take down mobs.   Going to spend the rest of the weekend having a lot of fun!

• ByzokByzok Member UncommonPosts: 8

The game will be fun for a month, then fall off just like most of the recent new games.  I played the last beta weekend,  I think most of us just like exploring a new world/chrs and such.  The graphics are nice combat is ok.  But that is where it stops, leveling is boring as hell, go to quest pub get kill x creatures, collect x items that do not drop every time.  Turn in quests go to next quest pub kill and collect worthless items.  I know a lot are like it is an mmorpg what else did you expect?  Well SWTOR did one thing right and that was make the leveling up process fun as hell.  I felt like I was apart of the game with my chr, I was helping turn the tide for my side!  I cared about the dialoge listened/read it all.  This game I do not care, the story is blah.  I tried to get into it but I could not no matter how hard I tried making the leveling painfully boring.  PvP servers are going to have small populations because the hardcore PK'ers are going to power level, go to lower level zones and camp out choke points making it impossible for people to level unless they have high level friends guard them while they level.  Then the race traits are horrible.  If you want to PvP there is only a 2 or 3 races worth it, humans who have a trait when they are below 30% health they recieve less pvp damage and another race that gets a a reduction in damage from everything when they are less then 30%.  So you will see pretty much see a few races on the PvP servers because you need the good traitsn to be the best.  Not to say a few people will not pick the other races, I know I will because I like to be different.  Now I did pre order the game because my friends talked me into it, and I just hope I can ride it out until Diablo 3/GW2/PS2 comes out and atleast get my month worth. 

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I enjoy the combat except for the animation lock/root. And for those saying it hasn't been done before, well maybe not in a mainstream mmo. But games like Vindictus and C9 have this sort of combat. Now whether you consider them mmos, that is up for debate.

Anyway good luck to the game. Personally I wish it was just a buy to play game instead of subscription based. I most likely would purchase it then.

DCUO has a combat system very similar to this game.  I actually think DCUO is better, just they messed up the balance of the game.  depending on the right,left clicks of the mouse the different combos you would perform.  You could block or roll away, if they blocked you needed to do a block breaker.  Combat was fast paced and fun in my opinion.  They just messed up with the amount of bugs/balance which broke the game.  Wish they would have done a lot better with that game because I did like the combat. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I enjoy the combat except for the animation lock/root. And for those saying it hasn't been done before, well maybe not in a mainstream mmo. But games like Vindictus and C9 have this sort of combat. Now whether you consider them mmos, that is up for debate.

Anyway good luck to the game. Personally I wish it was just a buy to play game instead of subscription based. I most likely would purchase it then.

They are MMO's, just not MMORPG's in the traditional sense. (though not sure the term has much meaning these days)

Whatever, I decided to pre-order today so I could take the characters I made in the last beta a little further into the greater game world past the starter zone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigHatLogan2BigHatLogan2 Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Byzok

The game will be fun for a month, then fall off just like most of the recent new games.  I played the last beta weekend,  I think most of us just like exploring a new world/chrs and such.  The graphics are nice combat is ok.  But that is where it stops, leveling is boring as hell, go to quest pub get kill x creatures, collect x items that do not drop every time.  Turn in quests go to next quest pub kill and collect worthless items.  I know a lot are like it is an mmorpg what else did you expect?  Well SWTOR did one thing right and that was make the leveling up process fun as hell.  I felt like I was apart of the game with my chr, I was helping turn the tide for my side!  I cared about the dialoge listened/read it all.  This game I do not care, the story is blah.  I tried to get into it but I could not no matter how hard I tried making the leveling painfully boring.  PvP servers are going to have small populations because the hardcore PK'ers are going to power level, go to lower level zones and camp out choke points making it impossible for people to level unless they have high level friends guard them while they level.  Then the race traits are horrible.  If you want to PvP there is only a 2 or 3 races worth it, humans who have a trait when they are below 30% health they recieve less pvp damage and another race that gets a a reduction in damage from everything when they are less then 30%.  So you will see pretty much see a few races on the PvP servers because you need the good traitsn to be the best.  Not to say a few people will not pick the other races, I know I will because I like to be different.  Now I did pre order the game because my friends talked me into it, and I just hope I can ride it out until Diablo 3/GW2/PS2 comes out and atleast get my month worth. 

I really don't think the PVP servers will have small populations at all.  You will get high level pkers of course, but they are pretty easy to avoid.  The game world is huge.  I think the PVP servers will actually have higher populations than PVE just because how fun it is to fight other players in this game.  The quests are certainly boring, no argument there, but i don't play mmorpg's for PVE because it is invariably boring.  The BAM's may change my mind about that we will have to see on that one.  I'm going to be playing TERA for the awesome combat and open world pvp, everything else is secondary.   As far as leveling i plan on avoiding quests once I can solo BAM's anyway. 

• phatleetphatleet Member Posts: 19

It's soo good to have a job and be able to buy this game, that other one and that other...other one and not get sour and bitchy

making up excuses why not to buy. If it interest me I buy it, if I get bored with It I go to the next best shiny thing, isn't that what we

all do?... you guys really whine for nonsense =P, But I guess I should know by now.

15 min till they open the beta gates rigth? can't wait! =P

I should clarify, PvP servers will have the biggest populations at first just like most games do.  There is going to be a lot of fighting going on while trying to level, will be a ton of fun hopefully.  Some people will go hardcore max level and come back and wtf pawn all the slow leveling people.  Making it hard for them to level, killing them over and over.  The first month will come, a lot people will exit the game.  New people trying to get into the PvP servers will find it hard because of griefers, making most who come late get discouraged.  Few will stick through it leaving only a niche crowd. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Has anyone had problems loging in?  en masse sent me a beta code a few weeks a go and I tried it and thought the combat system was good but the rest was left wanting,  Well they sent me another beta code 2 days ago and when i tried to check in this Armor security popped up and said my Ip may be different(it was not) and they would send a security code to my email address, they sent a code which i plugged into the slot and then i got an notice that the code was invalid? WTF how could my code be invalid when they sent it? Something is wrong but i dont know what- my cookies are all acceptable, my java up to date, my IP the same as the last beta I played, I am useing a US IP-internet explorer and sbcglobal.net,  I cannot go to Support because I cannot log in, I sent out an email to en masse but have not heard back

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by eddieg50

Has anyone had problems loging in?  en masse sent me a beta code a few weeks a go and I tried it and thought the combat system was good but the rest was left wanting,  Well they sent me another beta code 2 days ago and when i tried to check in this Armor security popped up and said my Ip may be different(it was not) and they would send a security code to my email address, they sent a code which i plugged into the slot and then i got an notice that the code was invalid? WTF how could my code be invalid when they sent it? Something is wrong but i dont know what- my cookies are all acceptable, my java up to date, my IP the same as the last beta I played, I am useing a US IP-internet explorer and sbcglobal.net,  I cannot go to Support because I cannot log in, I sent out an email to en masse but have not heard back

Did you contact EME support? There is a thread dedicated to you and this problem here at MMORPG.com.  I'm starting to think this is a troll.  If you really want a solution to the problem please contact EME or wait for Open Beta which will not require a key and your characters will be saved past launch even if you don't sign up right away.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Originally posted by eddieg50

Did you contact EME support? There is a thread dedicated to you and this problem here at MMORPG.com.  I'm starting to think this is a troll.  If you really want a solution to the problem please contact EME or wait for Open Beta which will not require a key and your characters will be saved past launch even if you don't sign up right away.

I finally got it working by changing my password, why that would do it who knows but i am downloading as we speak,