Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Tourist or Purist?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It's almost 10 years exactly since I first found Lineage 1 and began my journey in the world of MMORPG's. 

I recall having a large aversion to the idea of gaming with others, partly because the gaming rag I read (CGW) slammed all of them so badly and being "a bit" older than the average player I was hesitant to get involved with "children"

So I went to the store and picked up two trials, one for EQ1 and one for Lineage 1.  I had a nonapproved video card (remember when MMO's would only work on specific video cards?) so EQ1 wouldn't work, so I fired up L1 and started on a 6 month stint there, moving over to DAOC once I had purchased a Mythic approved card.

There's a funny side story here, I played Lineage 1 for about a week, never communicating with anyone, and finally decided to break the barrier.  Started talking with a female elf on the starter island, was going pretty well until she said, how old are you?  I kept silent and she said, "I'm 12 and looking for some new friends"     Quickly logged off and didn't come back until I was sure the coast was clear. image

Fortunately the next person I spoke to was a 35 yr old male as we were riding a 10 minute boat ride to the mainland and I found out that adults too played online games.

Now the thing is, once I got the bug, I found that although I had played single player games for over 15 years they no longer held any sway for me.  Sure, I've tried a number of the big single player titles over the years and each time I last for a very short time, and spend almost all of my time playing MMORPG's.

I read with curiosity the folks on these forums who seem to play every new single player title out there, including console games and figure they either spend 16 hrs a day gaming or they spend a much smaller portion of their total playing time in MMORPG's.

So today's poll is whether or not you are a MMORPG purist (i.e. devote more than 75% of your total playing time to MMORPG's) or a tourist (are more diverse in your gaming tastes and spread it around quite a bit)

Just something I've been wondering about lately.  (if I'm the only person who confines most of his interest in MMO's)  For the purpose of this poll include all online games in your totals including MOBA's, MMOFPS, VWRPG's, MMOARPG's and whatever gets grouped under the flag of MMORPGs.  (but no sports games please, not ready to throw them in the genre, yet)

BTW, the categories are entirely my own fabrication, have no scientific basis and should not be taken as insults in anyway. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I chose "Purist" but the truth is, it depends on the current market. Right now the answer is 75%. 6 months ago my answer would be different.

Nothing is absolute. My first and foremost passion lies with MMOs but if the current selection sucks I can easily adapt to the multiplayer/single player market for my gaming fix

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I keep trying to play SPGs, but they just feel so dead that it isn't worth it most of the time.  Even tried to play a character on my son's Skyrim and though the game looks good and the stories are decent, the game just feels dead to me.  It may not be much, but the "unknown" quality of teaming with people as well as chatting with friends and guildmates makes the game come alive for me.  It is what keeps pulling me back after being disappointed with the latest SPG.  Even the multiplayer games have no draw for me, though that is mostly because I do not like the games themselves, not the "genre".

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Purist I guess... I would go nuts if all I played was MMOs... The general modern MMO culture alone drives me into gaming seclusion on a fairly regular basis.

Plus I would miss out on some amazing gaming experiences.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Before I went Navy was fanatic.   Now I just play stuff closer to league of legends.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Went with Fanatic as the term MMO Purist means something entirely different fhan how it is being used here and I rather not be associated with that term.  The majority of my game playing is MMOs, both for leisure and for work, but I do also enjoy multiplayer FPSs and singleplayer sims and RPGs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

I mostly play MMOs but I also love RTS and some TBS games.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I used to play MMORPGs, but then I took a SW:ToR in the knee.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Sythion

I used to play MMORPGs, but then I took a SW:ToR in the knee.

+1 internets

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I voted purist.

When I play an MMORPG (i.e. when I'm subscribed) I play only that game and nothing else. For me it's usually a sandbox, a hybrid or an older game (currently it's Ryzom).

I'm looking at single-player games when I'm not subscribed to any MMORPG and occasionally even buy and play one (last one was The Witcher 2, about a year ago I guess).

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

For myself, I used to be a fanatic, but lately the MMORPG space has been a bit dull for me, so I've sprinkled in a few single player titles such as Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I think maybe with all the new titles coming out this year I'm likely to stick with MMORPG's for the rest of the year at least.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon