Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

New York State Bans Sex Offenders From Online Gaming

245678

Comments

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    Originally posted by st4t1ck

    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    Originally posted by Nadia

    related article from 2009

    Sex laws

    Unjust and ineffective

    America has pioneered the harsh punishment of sex offenders. Does it work?

    http://www.economist.com/node/14164614?story_id=14164614&source=hptextfeature

    A report by Sarah Tofte of Human Rights Watch, a pressure group, found that at least five states required men to register if they were caught visiting prostitutes. At least 13 required it for urinating in public (in two of which, only if a child was present). No fewer than 29 states required registration for teenagers who had consensual sex with another teenager. And 32 states registered flashers and streakers.

    Ugh ... exactly what I meant. The gaming industry rolling along with that kind of populist, draconic (and frankly INSANE) lawmaking makes me want to file a complaint at Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the UN too.

    It's good to live in the good old EU when I read things like that.

     

  • kilunkilun Apopka, FLPosts: 709Member Common

    Originally posted by brody71

    Originally posted by fenistil

    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Originally posted by brody71

    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Originally posted by brody71

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

    Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

    They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

    um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

     

    this is true in the US? Or does it depend on state?

    wow, didnt know that. In the UK this would be perfectally legal.

    yes 18 is legal adult age. 

     

    Same as here, though the age of sexual consent is 16.

    + 1

     

    Age of sexual consent is diffrent from legal adult age in many countries. Heck even in some (just in some though) states in USA is lower than legal adult age.

    In some countries it is even taken far.  For example age of sexual consent depends on what age second peerson you have sex is.

    Cause it is uterrly (imho) stupid for in example 18 year old go to prison & punished for having sex with other person which is for example 16-17 year old.

     

    In some countries it is done like for example:

    - legal age - 18

    - general age of sexual consent - 16 (but under more law protection till 18 , ie law is sticter towards predator if some problem arise)

    BUT 

    - age of sexual consent can be f.e 15 if second person is 17-18 ,etc 

     

    Law obviosuly have to give boundaries but at same time it have to be sane. Cause punishing very severely one person of sleeping with "minor" when diffrence between them is like 1-3 years is dumb in first place. 

     

    End of rant.

     

     

    you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

     Good luck with that, most states have a state limit, Ohio for example is just a misdemeanor(M1).  Secondly until your daughter is in that situation you really can't say that.  What if its your best friends son who is 2 1/2 years old than your daughter? Or vice versa.

    Anyways the legal age of consent in most states is 16.  Meaning that 52 yearold person can go have sex with 16 yearold and nothing can be done about it if the 16 year old consented. (Yes I would not doubt deem that 52 yearold as a sick creep, but according to the law jack can be done about it.  Same thing if in Kentucky you decided to get married at 14 to so 50 year old sicko.  Oh well)

    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907.04

    www.ozumgames.com

  • DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member

    So instead of creepin on little kids from thousands of miles away; they will be doing something else to occupy their time... like visiting the local park.

    Seems like a bill that's half-arsed and will ultimately do nothing but funnel the problem into another channel.  But that seems to be the M.O. of lawmaking today. It's not about passing smart legislature, it's about talking points for their next election cycle.  

  • DraemosDraemos Antartica, AKPosts: 1,469Member

    Originally posted by brody71

    Originally posted by fenistil


    Originally posted by Vesavius


    Originally posted by brody71


    Originally posted by Vesavius


    Originally posted by brody71


    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

    Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

    They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

    um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

     

    this is true in the US? Or does it depend on state?

    wow, didnt know that. In the UK this would be perfectally legal.

    yes 18 is legal adult age. 

     

    Same as here, though the age of sexual consent is 16.

    + 1

     

    Age of sexual consent is diffrent from legal adult age in many countries. Heck even in some (just in some though) states in USA is lower than legal adult age.

    In some countries it is even taken far.  For example age of sexual consent depends on what age second peerson you have sex is.

    Cause it is uterrly (imho) stupid for in example 18 year old go to prison & punished for having sex with other person which is for example 16-17 year old.

     

    In some countries it is done like for example:

    - legal age - 18

    - general age of sexual consent - 16 (but under more law protection till 18 , ie law is sticter towards predator if some problem arise)

    BUT 

    - age of sexual consent can be f.e 15 if second person is 17-18 ,etc 

     

    Law obviosuly have to give boundaries but at same time it have to be sane. Cause punishing very severely one person of sleeping with "minor" when diffrence between them is like 1-3 years is dumb in first place. 

     

    End of rant.

     

     

    you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

    You're right. I do think it's dumb.  Handle your daughter instead of ruining some 18yr old kids life.

  • ElderRatElderRat Syracuse, NYPosts: 899Member

    I did a google on sex offenders by county in NY State - the total is 33,797.  link: http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/nsor/stats_by_county.htm.   So apparently they removed 1/10th of all sexual offenders in NY State.

    Currently bored with MMO's.

  • ElderRatElderRat Syracuse, NYPosts: 899Member

    Originally posted by Draemos

    So instead of creepin on little kids from thousands of miles away; they will be doing something else to occupy their time... like visiting the local park.

    Seems like a bill that's half-arsed and will ultimately do nothing but funnel the problem into another channel.  But that seems to be the M.O. of lawmaking today. It's not about passing smart legislature, it's about talking points for their next election cycle.  

    One of the triggers for doing this was a 19 year old using x-box live to lure a 12 year old to his near by residence.  There is a growing problem here in New York, and sadly it is not just in the city but the rest of the State.

    Currently bored with MMO's.

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    Originally posted by Draemos

    Originally posted by brody71

     

    you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

    You're right. I do think it's dumb.  Handle your daughter instead of ruining some 18yr old kids life.

    Agreed.

    Love doesn't care about age and an 18 yo and a 15 yo falling in love is simply natural. If you'd press charges over that chances are your daughter will run away as well, and for good reason.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

    Originally posted by ElderRat

    I did a google on sex offenders by county in NY State - the total is 33,797.  link: http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/nsor/stats_by_county.htm.   So apparently they removed 1/10th of all sexual offenders in NY State.

    thank you for clarifying

  • Bama1267Bama1267 Waterloo, NYPosts: 1,847Member

     Great job! While I do agree with people that there is a major difference in a pedo and a 21 yr old having sex with a 17 yr old. Until they change it , I could care less. Keep your sh it in your pants, you know the law regardless of "love". I've been there, others have been there ... some how we managed to not get ourselves in trouble. Not playign online games should be the least of anyone's worries who is on a sex offender list regardless of the reason why.

  • gaugemewgaugemew Madison, WIPosts: 158Member

    Online games have had EULA's that allow them to ban anyone they feel like for a good decade now.  So the argument that this is just a means to ban anyone they want is stupid.

    As for the the OP.  I think it's a good idea.  Online tools are generally how people pray on young girls, or sometimes boys.  It becomes much harder to pray in your own neighborhood.  I wish it would have limits other than sex offender though.  Such as specifying what t ypes of sex offenders.  Such as pedo' and rapists.

  • gaugemewgaugemew Madison, WIPosts: 158Member

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Originally posted by Draemos


    Originally posted by brody71

     

    you may think it's dumb but as a parent i would not want my 15yr old daughter having relations with an 18yr old.  and i would press charges and send his child molesting ass to jail.

    You're right. I do think it's dumb.  Handle your daughter instead of ruining some 18yr old kids life.

    Agreed.

    Love doesn't care about age and an 18 yo and a 15 yo falling in love is simply natural. If you'd press charges over that chances are your daughter will run away as well, and for good reason.

    Except that the 18 year old has the ability to act rationally enough that we consider the 18 year old an adult.  Where as the 15 year old is still going through puberty and is, most of the time, completely irrational.

  • ToS-DrakemorToS-Drakemor manistee, MIPosts: 18Member

    Stupid IMO, Ban the predators that were convicted of an assault that was intitiated in an online enviroment, I didn't read if this is how they built the guildines for these new bans, but thats what they should be based.

  • KalmarthKalmarth Lake Havasu City, AZPosts: 443Member

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    This is True in Arizona too, I live next to one of the more popular spring break spots and we have at least 2-5 collage kids heading home each spring break as sex offenders because they lets the jungle snake out to gold shower into the lake and someone was watching, its sad but true no one wants to see man meat or in a couple of instances beef curtains.

    Just if you got to take a leak get in the water and do it where no one can see you.

    oh this law is not in effect in the UK as I accidently urinated on a policeman one night coming home from the pub, teach him to walk up behind a guy taking a piss and ask him what he thinks he is doing.

     

  • cdesteycdestey Bethlehem, GAPosts: 70Member

    Kind of a non-story. It's just typical political pandering to those that still believe in this imagined epidemic of pedophilia. Thank you Chris Hanson.

  • LexinLexin Ellenville, NYPosts: 702Member Uncommon

    As a New Yorker I support this. Though it should not only be sex offenders.

    image

  • Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

     

  • ProfRedProfRed Duluth, GAPosts: 3,511Member

    First, this will be almost impossible to enforce unless they somehow get the ip of each of them.  They can just go make a new gmail account and be on their way.

    Second, as to the morals of this either side has rights and wrongs, but the way I see it is if this stops one underage kid from getting raped/kidnapped/murdered/etc. it is worth it to me being a parent of two young girls.

    I feel like there should be levels of sex offense though, not just one big umbrella.  If you get caught peeing on a tree because you are out at 1am and there happens to be a school closeby this would be a low level of sex offence to me and stuff like this should not apply.

     

  • astoriaastoria Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,681Member

    Originally posted by Vesavius

    Originally posted by brody71

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Hmm, good or bad depends on your definition of "sex offender".

    Looking how anal (no pun intended) sex offenses can be in the US I don't think this is such a great idea. Not sure about this but I once read an article about a 21ish year old guy having a normal relationship with a 17 year old girl and that making him a sex offender as well. I think that is slightly draconic, but whatever ...

    They should only restrict this to the actual "predators", who have been convicted for stalking and trying to groom minors (or worse).

    um, yeah a 21 year old with a 17yr old is considered rape.   and the 21yr old would be considered, and is a predator.   the 17yr is a minor.

     

    this is true in the US? Or does it depend on state?

    wow, didnt know that. In the UK this would be perfectally legal.

    it depends on the state. Many U.S. states have an age range in addition to the under 18 clause. For example, a 17 and a 19 year old would not be illegal in many states. I know a few it is 4 years. Best advice, do her mom until she's of age.

    Seriously though, this is obviously a reponse to Tera's imminent release.

    "Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    Originally posted by Four0Six

    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

     

    Yes, of course. The horror. Those kids will be marred for life with traumas. They'll be staring through windows and absent mindedly drawing pictures of bearded one eyed snakes for years to come. We shouldn't want that.

  • WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAPosts: 1,269Member

    Originally posted by ProfRed

    First, this will be almost impossible to enforce unless they somehow get the ip of each of them.  They can just go make a new gmail account and be on their way.

    Second, as to the morals of this either side has rights and wrongs, but the way I see it is if this stops one underage kid from getting raped/kidnapped/murdered/etc. it is worth it to me being a parent of two young girls.

    I feel like there should be levels of sex offense though, not just one big umbrella.  If you get caught peeing on a tree because you are out at 1am and there happens to be a school closeby this would be a low level of sex offence to me and stuff like this should not apply.

     

     

    What's funny is that in an article I read, there was a person from Microsoft talking about how the Xbox already has many parental controls built into it, that can protect children from stuff like this (supposedly, just what the dude said, I have no idea about said features).  He went on to say that unfortunately many parents don't know about the features so they go unused.  So instead, lets make some wide-reaching law that will most likely have no impact on anything hah.  Maybe try to educate parents about the features, so they can protect their own children?

     

    This is just political pandering at it's finest.

    image

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

    Originally posted by DarkPony

    Originally posted by Four0Six


    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

     

    Yes, of course. The horror. Those kids will be marred for life with traumas. They'll be staring through windows and absent mindedly drawing pictures of bearded one eyed snakes for years to come. We shouldn't want that.

    Bearded one-eyed snakes? image

     

     

    My childhood traumas just flooded back in. Curse you, Pony. Curse you. image

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

  • jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

    I live in the southern US.

    In my state the legal age of consent is 16 y/o. So if a 21 y/o has consenting sex with a 17y/o then it would not be a crime.

    I am not sure if I agree with this or not. Somehow I think if a criminal is trying to find a child to prey on cutting off his WoW account wont help much.

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member

    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Originally posted by Four0Six


    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

     

    Yes, of course. The horror. Those kids will be marred for life with traumas. They'll be staring through windows and absent mindedly drawing pictures of bearded one eyed snakes for years to come. We shouldn't want that.

    Bearded one-eyed snakes? image

     

     

    My childhood traumas just flooded back in. Curse you, Pony. Curse you. image

    Oh crap. Sorry about that, White :)

  • st4t1ckst4t1ck jonesboro, GAPosts: 600Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Four0Six

    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Originally posted by st4t1ck


    *snipage*



    This is kinda crazy, there are a lot of things stupid about the sex offender laws, in michigan public urination can be a Sex offense and make you register as a sex offender

    what bothers me the most is what happened to "do the crime pay the time"  you are punished you get sentanced to 5 years you get out and you find that you pretty much still being punished in every way

    Lol ... seriously?

    "That'll be no more online gaming for you mister tree sprinkler!"

    "Don't taze me bro ..."

    "BZzzzzt"

    It is all funny...until it is done in front of an elementary school, in front of a bunch of 8 year olds...

     

    i agree but that is totally different then stubmling out back a bar at 2 a.m and pissing by the dumpster

Sign In or Register to comment.