Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Honest opinions of Rift

2

Comments

  • MothurMothur BoxtelPosts: 19Member

    I don't like it, just as "that other game" it has a very strong urge for me to return but the leveling is as monotonous as can be and the grind to level fifty is just plain horrible. But that's about the only reason I don't like it, there's plenty to do at max level but I'm not going anywhere there because of the horrible grind.

  • CericXCericX Columbia, MOPosts: 69Member

    Originally posted by Mothur

    I don't like it, just as "that other game" it has a very strong urge for me to return but the leveling is as monotonous as can be and the grind to level fifty is just plain horrible. But that's about the only reason I don't like it, there's plenty to do at max level but I'm not going anywhere there because of the horrible grind.

    Grind TO level 50? I must be misreading this. A couple weeks from 1-50 playing casualish.

  • MothurMothur BoxtelPosts: 19Member

    I'm not talking about the length of the leveling proces but rather of how grindy the leveling is:

    1-50 is a constant: "kill x" and "gather x" and they don't even try to make the quest text interesting at all.

    It's mostly just: "Well those goblins are irritating me, kill em!"

  • CericXCericX Columbia, MOPosts: 69Member

    Originally posted by Mothur

    I'm not talking about the length of the leveling proces but rather of how grindy the leveling is:

    1-50 is a constant: "kill x" and "gather x" and they don't even try to make the quest text interesting at all.

    It's mostly just: "Well those goblins are irritating me, kill em!"

    Never was big on quests, I've leveled one character up with just dungeons
    ifts, another with just PvP. Its all a grind of some kind but didn't seem overly tedious. Questing...yeah nothing different there compared to any other.

  • IrishChaiIrishChai St Louis, MOPosts: 529Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GrayGreene

    Originally posted by GoodAfternoon


    Originally posted by spacebot

    It's nothing bad as I made out!? Were do you live. I want your eyeballs.

    Do you understand the emotional truama that is rift armor//clothes whateverdoesntmatterit'swhatyourwearing!?

    HUHH? DO YOU YOU BLIND PERSON! I bet your character could wear a pink unitard with scuba fins and a a cowboy hat with ski goggles and you would it's the awesomest rogue sneaky class ever. BUT HOLD THAT NEON PHONE. It's rather like a clown. My characters feel like clowns. Dark fanasty clowns. That is it that's what they were going for! RIFT MOCKS US! and you, you sit there and try to put up a defence. A weak one cause you know, KNOW, that rift is causing mental problems with its armor style. 

    what?

    This is the most hilarious thread i have ever read.   I thought i was a bit crazy, but feel fairly sane after reading this.  

     

    OMG, spacebot.... I think this is the first post on the internet to actually make me dizzy trying to read it. image lol

     

    Anyhow, my honest opinion? I am really impressed by how far Trion has come with this game. I haven't played since they had a ton of those free weekends post-release. I'm completely burnt out from playing WoW from it's release to Cataclysm 4.3 update. I like Aion but I'm just going to wait for it to go free and play it casually after that. I like SWTOR, but the technical problems are literally keeping me.from being able to play it (frequent crashing with no help/support from EA). So Rift has a new fan! It's a great MMO and it's worth a try for anyone who hasn't played it recently.

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,185Member Uncommon

    I love the game.  It's fun and has decent combat.  If anyone is unsure they can play for free up until level 20 (with some moderately heavy restrictions) to try it out.

    Trion as a developer and publisher is pretty cool.  I'm a happy customer.

  • Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Tempe, AZPosts: 994Member

    My honest opinion is that it's one of the most boring MMOs on the market.  

  • IrishChaiIrishChai St Louis, MOPosts: 529Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    I love the game.  It's fun and has decent combat.  If anyone is unsure they can play for free up until level 20 (with some moderately heavy restrictions) to try it out.

    Trion as a developer and publisher is pretty cool.  I'm a happy customer.

     

    One of the reasons I went back to Rift is I've heard the words in green from a lot of people recently. I've also been hearing the endgame has vastly improved since release and turned out to be one of the best MMOs at endgame currently out right now. I have yet to see either their customer support or endgame personally, but I'm giving it benefit of the doubt and enjoying it so far without any complaint..

  • phatleetphatleet LleidaPosts: 19Member

    Originally posted by Mothur

    I'm not talking about the length of the leveling proces but rather of how grindy the leveling is:

    1-50 is a constant: "kill x" and "gather x" and they don't even try to make the quest text interesting at all.

    It's mostly just: "Well those goblins are irritating me, kill em!"

    Mmmm so what would you suggest in order to level other than killing mobs/Quests???

    Isn't that the whole deal of leveling? Is there any other game out there doing it differently?

    Maybe you could get xp from /dance in meridian, that would be a hoot...

    There is pvp also, fastest way to lvl, no reading needed.

    And about quest text... If they say "Kill  X" I go and kill it, no questions asked XDD

    They only ones that I pay attention to are the story lines, the rest are fillers and you should take them as such.

     

     

  • SmikisSmikis VilniusPosts: 1,045Member

    rift is splendit game, but leveling is far from its strong point, but dinging 50 is jaw droping, being suprised in a game after 10+ years of gaming is no small feat and was i surprised how much there was to do at lvl 50, so if you can get past mediacore lvling ( heck leveling is boring in most mmorpgs for me, and only fun if i am racing on release ) you will have blast at max lvl

     

    Rift is  best themepark mmorpg currently , only game that might be better is lotro, because it been ages since i played it, so i wouldnt know the state of it, but considering lotro is never really mentioned in this kinda conversation i doubt its even on par with rift....

    so if you like themepark ( war was themepark ) give rift a go, its basicaly free, you can find copy for 5-10~ bucks or whatnot

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member

    Originally posted by Chrisbox

    I never tried this game, however I have been hearing alot about it lately.  I know that it shares alot of similarities with WAR [ Which is one of my favorite games of all time]  so I could possibly be interested in trying it out sometime.  I'd like to no a little more about it though like how fun is the leveling [ boring WoW grind? I hope not ] , how is the end game progression and pvp? Things like that.

    I don't really see how the two compair.  There were more classes in WAR but less customization.  The pvp in WAR was infinitely better, and the raiding in RIFT is much better than in WAR.  This is why they are fundamentally different games.  WAR is a pvp gear grind and RIFT is a pve/dungeon/raid gear grind.

  • IrishChaiIrishChai St Louis, MOPosts: 529Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by phatleet

    Originally posted by Mothur

    I'm not talking about the length of the leveling proces but rather of how grindy the leveling is:

    1-50 is a constant: "kill x" and "gather x" and they don't even try to make the quest text interesting at all.

    It's mostly just: "Well those goblins are irritating me, kill em!"

    Mmmm so what would you suggest in order to level other than killing mobs/Quests???

    Isn't that the whole deal of leveling? Is there any other game out there doing it differently?

    Maybe you could get xp from /dance in meridian, that would be a hoot...

    There is pvp also, fastest way to lvl, no reading needed.

    And about quest text... If they say "Kill  X" I go and kill it, no questions asked XDD

    They only ones that I pay attention to are the story lines, the rest are fillers and you should take them as such.

     

     

     

    I don't see any difference at all anymore between every MMO and the types of quests you get. I'm like phatleet at this stage of MMO veterancy (<-- is that a word?). Someone says kill it, I go kill it. So long as I enjoy the game, combat system, environment, and community, I will have fun doing it. I've just accepted that so long as I am in the MMO genre, you are going to quest like that and it will feel a bit like you are grinding something somewhere in order to advance. Even with SWTOR and Bioware's effort to voice everything and make it more interesting, there comes a time when you are around level 30-40 (or earlier for some people) where the quests just get repetitive and less interesting whether it's voiced or via text. Maybe you would disagree with me on this if you've played an MMO and felt differently, but I haven't and my list of "been there, done that' in that MMO" is LONG (detailed on my profile if you really think that matters).

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member

    Originally posted by Cthulhu23

    My honest opinion is that it's one of the most boring MMOs on the market.  

    My opinion isn't that it is boring per se.  It is the one game I've ever played that I felt as though I wasn't really doing anything different than another game.  It also felt very small.  I use to be impressed with their rait of content production, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months.  I wonder if they will get it back to what it was for the first 6 months or so after release.  I wish every company would put out content at the rate Trion did in the beginning.

  • anthonypenaanthonypena VANCOUVER, BCPosts: 131Member

    We're not in azeroth anymore

  • PuremallacePuremallace Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,856Member

    Originally posted by niceguy3978

      I use to be impressed with their rait of content production, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months.  I wonder if they will get it back to what it was for the first 6 months or so after release.  I wish every company would put out content at the rate Trion did in the beginning.

    lol what?

    February 2011: Beta to Head Start

    March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1

    May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2

    June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3

    August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4

    September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5

    November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6

    February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7

    Next one is arounf April 18th. You realize people have actually used the fast content schedule in some perverse way as a reason to unsub lol
  • ThorkuneThorkune Eastern, KYPosts: 1,828Member Uncommon

    I feel that Rift is one of the most underrated games on the market today. It is a very entertaining game and has the most diligent development team in the industry in my opinion. I think once it is said and done, this game will have almost everything that fans want in an MMO, because Trion wants to please their customers. If/when they implement player housing and better crafting, I am going back to it for good.

  • ElderRatElderRat Syracuse, NYPosts: 899Member

    Originally posted by Chrisbox

    I never tried this game, however I have been hearing alot about it lately.  I know that it shares alot of similarities with WAR [ Which is one of my favorite games of all time]  so I could possibly be interested in trying it out sometime.  I'd like to no a little more about it though like how fun is the leveling [ boring WoW grind? I hope not ] , how is the end game progression and pvp? Things like that.

    I found it fun, though not challenging and eventually I quit it.  May go back to it at some point but am concentrating on 2 single player games instead of paying a monthly sub.

    Currently bored with MMO's.

  • natuxatunatuxatu Denver, COPosts: 1,371Member

    Honestly opinion: It's ok... which I guess is the biggest dissapointment. There is really nothing exciting about the Rifts themselves which was suppose to be the big draw to the game. The quests are also absolutely forgetable that you'll stop reading them fairly shortly... at least I did.

    BUT it's pretty and the combat and skills are decent enough, the sound is probably one of it's strongest aspects. Casting spells was always satisfying. But there is just other MMOs like WoW, LoTRO, or any fo them really that have at least SOMETHING that makes them stand out.. Rift does not.

    edit: as some have mentioned though it has done a fantastic job with adding new content and updating the game ect.

    image

  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,753Member Uncommon

    I would have stayed in Rift if Trion had added the replayability that other themeparks have. For example, different story for each race in their own areas (even if they all gather at some points, like WoW after the starting areas). Also the lack of Major cities in some areas turned me down. I am not the kind of person who sticks to 1 character. I never play less than 3 characters and i couldnt handle the repetition in Rift with every single character i rolled. The game is not bad, but its not a home for me. Sometimes i log in to the trial client to do some low level quests and hang around with low lvl peeps, nothing more.

    image
  • PuremallacePuremallace Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,856Member

    Rift is a game that has never really been given a chance. I mean it came out of closed beta in  December of 2010 and if you talk to anyone everyone talked about Star Wars coming out in March and Guild Wars coming out in July 2011 and how those games were what was really important.

     

    Now look at those people 1 year later. TOR has proved to be massively over hyped and poorly managed by a dev team out of touch with reality and caught up in their own hype. GW2 is what still 5-6+ months away if not more.

     

    Rift is free until level 20. Stop being a sheep and go play for yourself. Most of the tools posting in this thread have not played the game since the 1st months over half of them have Guild Wars 2 signatures, so take their opinion with a grain of salt. I am still waiting for someone to explain how the hell is Rift expected to compete with blind hype.

     

    You realize if Trion had listened to half of the crap you see people throwing around we would of had Ilum on launch and you see how much of a disaster that turned out to be. WvW is being hyped like it is jesus incarnent when all it really is Aions abyss concept with 3 servers. Take the lag you had in Aion and multiply it by 1,000, then you will understand why WvW will not work.

     

    People just want to right tthe game off as a WoW clone, so now you have a whole bunch of people creating a unbelievable toxic community over in WoW because they are bored silly. Read a WoW forum lately and see how bad it is getting as they get strung along from patch to long drawn out patch, then get told to pay $60 for shit I am getting for my monthly sub. The entire mmorpg community is full of shit.

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member

    Originally posted by Puremallace

    Originally posted by niceguy3978

      I use to be impressed with their rait of content production, but it seems to have slowed down quite a bit over the last few months.  I wonder if they will get it back to what it was for the first 6 months or so after release.  I wish every company would put out content at the rate Trion did in the beginning.

    lol what?

    February 2011: Beta to Head Start

    March 30, 2011: Patch 1.1

    May 10, 2011: Patch 1.2

    June 22, 2011: Patch 1.3

    August 3, 2011: Patch 1.4

    September 28, 2011: Patch 1.5

    November 16, 2011: Patch 1.6

    February 1, 2012: Patch 1.7

    Next one is arounf April 18th. You realize people have actually used the fast content schedule in some perverse way as a reason to unsub lol

    Going by that timeline the length between updates has increased between 40-50% which is quite a bit.  I can't imagine anyone being daft enough to cancel over content coming in too fast, but I guess there are people who will quite literally complain over anything.  I am not bashing the game when I ask this question, but it is an honest one.  Do you know/have any idea why the increase in time between content updates?  It went from anywhere between 1 month to 1 1/2 months for the first 6 months or so and up to 2 - 2 1/2 months for the last 6 months or so.  I'm not claiming that they aren't putting content out faster than anybody else at the moment because it would appear that they are.  I was just commenting that it has slowed down (and we can argue over the semantics of what "quite a bit means" but I don't think we'll get very far).  I just wonder why that is?  (I honestly have no idea nor much of a theory).

  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Portland, ORPosts: 1,277Member


    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I feel that Rift is one of the most underrated games on the market today. It is a very entertaining game and has the most diligent development team in the industry in my opinion. I think once it is said and done, this game will have almost everything that fans want in an MMO, because Trion wants to please their customers. If/when they implement player housing and better crafting, I am going back to it for good.

    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member

    great developement team, fastest output on content in history, the Rifts were a nice change from the static backdrop type games.

    The only two complaints i've ever had about this game were :



    1. not enough choices in Rift events almost all of them are kill kill kill


    2. end game currency grind is off the charts long, too much coin needed to get geared well.


     

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by itgrowls

    great developement team, fastest output on content in history

    Go back and look at history.  Free content?  Yes.  Overall content?

     

    EQ2, Guild Wars (if it counts as an MMO), EQ1 (by an ENORMOUS margin), DAoC

    LOTRO will end up being faster as well

     

     

    Yes, all those games relied on expansion but most had a lot of free content as well.  Doesnt change the fact that they added more content than Rift did during the first 13+ months of the game.

     

    They also all started out signficantly larger than Rift

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by niceguy3978

    Going by that timeline the length between updates has increased between 40-50% which is quite a bit.  I can't imagine anyone being daft enough to cancel over content coming in too fast, but I guess there are people who will quite literally complain over anything.  I am not bashing the game when I ask this question, but it is an honest one.  Do you know/have any idea why the increase in time between content updates?  It went from anywhere between 1 month to 1 1/2 months for the first 6 months or so and up to 2 - 2 1/2 months for the last 6 months or so.  I'm not claiming that they aren't putting content out faster than anybody else at the moment because it would appear that they are.  I was just commenting that it has slowed down (and we can argue over the semantics of what "quite a bit means" but I don't think we'll get very far).  I just wonder why that is?  (I honestly have no idea nor much of a theory).

    Im sure a lot of the first couple patches was stuff being worked on in development.  And the main thing of the february patch was the gear progression smoothing, so the last significant content was november which is why it feels even longer.  From mid november to mid april is 5 months of little content.  Of course the april patch looks huge which is why its taking so long.  Its been 9 months since the last 20 man.

2
Sign In or Register to comment.