Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am now concerned about this game

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

A few red flags have been triggered by this recent annoucnement of life time subs.

1. The game currently does not have any beta at the moment, beta invites go out sometime this month but the game launches on June 19th.  Seems like a very short beta and not enough time to correct the issues that are identified in beta.

2. The lifetime sub being thrown out before a beta and at a cost just a hair above the one year price.

3. The current gameplay videos look clunky.  I understand some may be older but you would think that right before an annoucement for pre-orders you would release some of your best videos to entice people into buying.

4. The cash shop is being built in from the start with pets and inventory space leading me to believe that F2P is a viable option that FunCom has as a backup plan after the inital launch. 

I was really excited about this one and was thinking of grabbing the life time sub but now I am seriously rethinking it.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Talonsin

A few red flags have been triggered by this recent annoucnement of life time subs.

1. The game currently does not have any beta at the moment, beta invites go out sometime this month but the game launches on June 19th.  Seems like a very short beta and not enough time to correct the issues that are identified in beta.

2. The lifetime sub being thrown out before a beta and at a cost just a hair above the one year price.

3. The current gameplay videos look clunky.  I understand some may be older but you would think that right before an annoucement for pre-orders you would release some of your best videos to entice people into buying.

4. The cash shop is being built in from the start with pets and inventory space leading me to believe that F2P is a viable option that FunCom has as a backup plan after the inital launch. 

I was really excited about this one and was thinking of grabbing the life time sub but now I am seriously rethinking it.

EA = auto red flag.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I haven't been following this yet... but...

No large scale beta testing and yet they are already selling the game and life time memberships?

ouch ><

That's NEVER a good sign.

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

1. They've had several beta phases before this, it's not like this will be the first beta phase that they do...

2. Again, they've had plenty of beta phases before now, and from what I hear,  the lifetime sub will be available well into the launch life of the game.

3. I don't see what you see. The only problems I've seen are some of the animations. Maybe you're looking at GDC 2011 videos?

4. And?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Funcom, y u so mani red falgs?

Originally posted by DarkPony

LOL

What happened to your sig? It was classic!

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

There has been a closed beta going for quite awhile. They acknowledged that. They did Rise of the Godslayer the same way. I didn't get into closed beta till a month before it went into public beta and only then did I see the patch notes and forums from people went back several months.

As for lifetime subscription, if it does turn out to go F2P then I hope Funcom will do like other games that offered lifetime subs and give players that purchased a monthly stipen of points. But like LOTRO those that paid lifetime subs you basically paid for two years of service and that time has come and gone. So they push that marketplace into your face a lot now to everyone.

I'm sure you'll get into the beta, either closed or public beta as it gets close to release so you can make a decision if you want to buy a lifetime sub. I think they even said the offer would be good even shortly after release.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

haters gonna hate.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

Originally posted by DarkPony

LOL

What happened to your sig? It was classic!

It ate 10 gigs of bandwith in a week or so. So the photobucket people got real angry and shut it down and now they are trying to sell me a premium account for unlimited bandwith V_V

I'm glad I saw it. I shall remember.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Honestly. Im surprised that funcoms history (read AoC launch) isnt on your red flag list. I can tell you its nr. 1 on mine:)

But when ever i see Life Time sub i allways think of Hellgate and run away screeming, so im gonna watch this one from safe distance and hope for the best.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Game Currently is undergoing a closed beta.

Offer is extended upto and after games official release.

Im sure the marketing machine will continue to speed up right till release

Whats exactly wrong with having a Contingency plan? 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

C'mon, you pair up Funcom with EA and you just know there's going to be some shenanigans.

Sort of like pairing up bad and evil.  image

Definitely won't be pre-ordering.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Kyleran

C'mon, you pair up Funcom with EA and you just know there's going to be some shenanigan's?

Could you imagine Cryptic and Funcom pairing up?

Edit:  I don't think EA has anything to do with the LTS or cash shop.  SWTOR doesn't have either, and EA has to pay  royalties to Lucas Arts.  I think the sub+cash shop is all Funcom's doing.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Normally if they sell life time subs it means the game will be F2P shortly after release. They do that to boost profit and grab more money.

I dont think I would trust anything funcom is doing anyway. And I doubt they can release a quality game. Most of the players will probably leave after the first month.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

If Funcom was marketing this game as The next Big game or a WoW killer then i would have red flags. they really aren't. its like they are saying "this game will be what it is" they took their time in release, they held off excessive Marketing, the only thing they promised was new ideas.

the Funcom games i have played i have enjoyed. sure their launches suck, all launches suck. However i have complete faith that if the game isnt up to snuff at launch, it will be a month or 2 down the road.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

You shouldn't be, unless you invested in their stock, in which case.. I'm sorry.

I think this might be funcoms final endeavor.

Generally funcom products are hyped to all hell, but this one.. this one is shrouded in so much secrecy...

Contrast the gameplay footage from this game with that from AoC before it was released. This game could be the next big thing to hit the fan since STO... .well.. maybe not as big, since no major IP is behind it.

Still, it's sad to see a company go under and one that was among the original companies to put the genre on the map.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Originally posted by Talonsin

(snip)

(snip)

In this day and age, we are probably shifting away from the use of open beta as a bug-finding tool to open beta as a marketing tool.

See GW2. "Press beta"? Really? You think ANet is using the press to look for bugs? Nope, it's a demo, alright.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm right there with ya. I've been researching this game for a couple of days and although I like the concept I just can't justify dropping a dime on it.

It looks shallow and incomplete.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I like the game concept and what I've seen of it but no way I'm buying a funcom game on preorder.  They have historically had 1 aweful launchs and 2 incomplete games where the first 20 levels of aoc were awesome but the rest was be comparison poor and not complete.  No beta is bad news also.  yeah yeah I know they have closed beta but seriously have you ever really seen a beta that didn't have leaks.  For SW there aren't any leaks from beta testers.  That tells me they have a very small beta...

I'm hoping the 3rd times the charm.  I like the game concept.  I've preordered every prior funcom game and been disappointed.  This time I'm not gonna put faith in them.  I'll wait till the game is released or at least the beta feedback starts coming out.

---
    Ethion

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by LadyNoh

If Funcom was marketing this game as The next Big game or a WoW killer then i would have red flags. they really aren't. its like they are saying "this game will be what it is" they took their time in release, they held off excessive Marketing, the only thing they promised was new ideas.

the Funcom games i have played i have enjoyed. sure their launches suck, all launches suck. However i have complete faith that if the game isnt up to snuff at launch, it will be a month or 2 down the road.

Exactly.  They have said here is our game and this is what it is.  Its not having a ton of hype, I think they I read something about them deciding against it after AoC initial release.  Either way Funcom supports and fixes their products.  I'm sorry people are getting a red flag, from bad releases I held off from those.  The AoC engine is tested and proven now.  This game will be what I wanted, a modern day conspiracy theory with secret socities and all.  Awesome for me.

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

I can understand peaple being a little weary about the launches of FC ive been there when AO and AOC both came out but very soon after they came out fixes came and smoothed out alot of the bugs and yes i still play AO and im very excited about the secret world been following it for meny months i expect a few bugs in the beginning every game has them to start with but FC has alway smoothed out the bugs

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Ok people, its funcom, weve done this before.

FFS please dont play the game at launch if you rage over minor issues.  It probably wont be as rushed as AoC was, as i understand the owners of the IP/investors needed the game to launch regardless of quality.  They fixed the game eventually and its still running (was suppose to die months after launch remember?)

Ill be playing the game for the developers talent in bringing uniqueness into games that have become monotonous and similair in too many ways.  Ill wait and see a week or two if i want to jump in (unless i get desperate which i might)

EA is just publishing it, they havent touched the code...

This game is going to generate a lot of hate regardless of how good it is, its funcom and people are still hurt over AoC's launch.  I really just wish GW2 would launch before TSW to suck up all the wow-park pvpers and keep them occupied for that month before they go looking for a new game.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Kyleran

C'mon, you pair up Funcom with EA and you just know there's going to be some shenanigans.

Or Eminem and Royce da 5'9

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Gameplay videos especially, not terrible, just.. concerning.  Won't be preordering, might even just play Tera for a while, before trying this one.  I'll definitely try it eventually.  Hope all these red flags turn out the be nothing...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Crunchy221

Ok people, its funcom, weve done this before.

FFS please dont play the game at launch if you rage over minor issues.  It probably wont be as rushed as AoC was, as i understand the owners of the IP/investors needed the game to launch regardless of quality.  They fixed the game eventually and its still running (was suppose to die months after launch remember?)

Ill be playing the game for the developers talent in bringing uniqueness into games that have become monotonous and similair in too many ways.  Ill wait and see a week or two if i want to jump in (unless i get desperate which i might)

EA is just publishing it, they havent touched the code...

This game is going to generate a lot of hate regardless of how good it is, its funcom and people are still hurt over AoC's launch.  I really just wish GW2 would launch before TSW to suck up all the wow-park pvpers and keep them occupied for that month before they go looking for a new game.

This.

No matter what, the game was bound to generate hate and bashing, no matter what path it would've taken due to FC's past.

Personally, I don't mind the more down-to-earth approach they're using, better than the hyped up chest thumping that was seen pre-launch of AoC by Gaute and others. Also, I personally wouldn't mind if things were being kept low key, if it would lead the certain types of MMO gamers out of it, that are easily traumatised by former gaming experiences or auto-decide to not play a game because they can't ever see past a game company that has wronged them in the past. Or people who completely pull a love scene in a game out of proportion.

I myself wouldn't mind at all if those things would help filter the initial group of gamers that would play the game, who knows, it may help form a community that's different from the current crowd that's seen at MMO launches image

This discussion has been closed.