Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifetime sub: Warning flag, or risk aversion?

1235»

Comments

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

After Hellgate London I will not touch a life time sub with a 100 foot pole......and i didnt even buy one!

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If lifetime suscriptions were truly a Win/Win scnario from both the player and for Funcom, then they would still be available post launch. Get it then. It'll still be worth it a month or 2 later.

If this is a limited time offer, then I'd consider that a warning.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

TSW is a game I was looking forward to. When I went to preorder I was completely turned off to the game. The lifetime sub was the first warning. I do not know of any game that had a life time sub that did not go free to play.

The second warning was the bug that wanted to charge me for an additional 2 months worth of sub time. I understand that bugs happen and it was fixed pretty quickly but it just didn't sit right with me.

Third was the way that preodering the game made me feel like they were trying to nickle and dime me to death before I even played the damn thing.

I understand that the things I posted will not mean crap to other people. They will preorder and play no matter what and I think thats great. For me however the warning signs just out wieghed my desire to play this game. I believe it will be F2P in 6 months to a year and this preorder is nothing but a quick money grab preying on people who have faith in Funcom and the game.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Khrymson

Its Funcom...they have a rather horrible track record launching MMOs.  It's obviously a warning flag, that should be avoided and maybe checked back on in about a year or so.

I'm not going to wait an entire YEAR, but....I won't be purchasing this one right out of the gate like I once THOUGHT I would.  I still WANT to start playing at launch, but I'm not going to do so.  Sometimes a little self-control is a really good thing. I'm thinking this is one of those times for me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

:sniff:  False dichotomy?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• adventchaosadventchaos Member Posts: 1

Sad truth is this might have been a great game. However EA being who they are either 1) realized the amount of time/income ratio is too low for their profits or 2) realized the game would not become a big mainstream #1 smash hit.

either way they are most likey forcing a things along too quickly as usual and slapping a life sub on it in hopes of squeezing whatever they can out of it. If they get enough maybe just maybe they'll throw out a few bug fix patches and if it survives long enough they will let it go into their " f2p" model which is really just a we dont give a rats ass what you do with this game because we have moved on to our next wife and this is just child support to keep the last bitch and her bastard child plcatated.

Just remember most of the time its the pubs who do this and not the devs.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

It's a difficult question. Most games that have offered a life-time sub have either gone to the MMO graveyard or Free-to-Play. But even with that, these games still have premiuim subscription models, so I think it's nice to have that option to have a one-time fee and never have to pay a thing again.