Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else went out on a limb to support Funcom through Lifetime?

Comments

• ph3n0m73ph3n0m73 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by maitrader

Sup guys,

I have been a long-time fan of Funcom... unlike many people who nitt-pick the crap out of funcom and their games, it truly is the ONLY company to offer something different and revolutionary to the genre with each game... We need more FUNCOMS ... not more Blizzards and Anets... I dont make tons of money, but I wanted to support funcom for trying a brand new spin on the genre through TSW... such balls (regardless of whether it works or not) deserves to be supported.. especially in a genre full of clones trying to be EQ or WoW... This game is being done unlike any game before its time.. for the amount of time they have been working on it (4 - 5 years anyone?), I believe this game will be good at launch, and spectacular in time. WHO ELSE BOUGHT LifeTime?!

never started..and after seeing those prices yesterday..never will

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

I think lifetimes are good for niche games...it allows them to recoup the development costs faster. 

Funcom has 2 F2Pish games out right now so you know this one will go F2P as soon as they get out the red.  I'm not confident that Funcom will do right by players(the lfietimers) if(read when) this game goes F2P. 

I purchased a lifetime to DCUO because I knew it would go F2P and I was likely to get all kinds of perks out of it.  It turns out that was a wise choice because I play it a lot and now I get a $5 stipend so I am ahead.  I think buying a lifetime is a wise investment if you know what you are buying.  With TSW, I have no idea what this game is about.  It kind of scares me how little I've seen.  I don't actively search out for information but I hardly see anyone talking about it.  Recently, I've seen more Vanguard news than TSW.  That scares me off the game.  But good luck to them.  I'll try it one day.  Ramble off.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

Fool me once... Yes i was so excited for AoC and bought the CE, so next Funcom game im gonna buy is 3-6 months after release. But damn i hope its good. Really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Connmacart

I'm not going to play at all just find the whole stance dismissive as if everyone does things the same way. What will it hurt you if someone has 5 characters on the same server or across many. Some might like to have characters with different personalities for example. 

I'm sorry, I was not being dismissive. I can see how I game from my own point of view (I hate alts) and I know how my friends are playing, but I asked a question to see how other felt and how they would game.

For me Rift's design was close to heaven, TSW design is heaven. I don't have the time of my youth, so I can pool the time that I have into a single avatar and raise him to the max of my abilities. Of course I have my strong preferences in gameplay, so I'm not that strongly affected when playing a more traditionally restricted mmorpg, but a bit of freedom is always welcome.

So, for me three slots is two too many. Well, five slots is even more reduntant. The thing is, because the characters are so universal, I don't expect very diversity through advancing them, besides differences between factions (and those not by a large margin).

In any case, what does personality means?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Sup guys,

I have been a long-time fan of Funcom... unlike many people who nitt-pick the crap out of funcom and their games, it truly is the ONLY company to offer something different and revolutionary to the genre with each game... We need more FUNCOMS ... not more Blizzards and Anets... I dont make tons of money, but I wanted to support funcom for trying a brand new spin on the genre through TSW... such balls (regardless of whether it works or not) deserves to be supported.. especially in a genre full of clones trying to be EQ or WoW... This game is being done unlike any game before its time.. for the amount of time they have been working on it (4 - 5 years anyone?), I believe this game will be good at launch, and spectacular in time. WHO ELSE BOUGHT LifeTime?!

we definitelly dont need more BLizzards, but Anet? seriously? i dont want to sound weird but ANET is the only company that have shown they dont want to rip their customers pockets off. i do like Funcom games and i dont flame TSW for past AoC mistakes, but If you compare Anet with all other mmo companies we actually would need more Anets and less of the rest.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by rojo6934

Sup guys,

we definitelly dont need more BLizzards, but Anet? seriously? i dont want to sound weird but ANET is the only company that have shown they dont want to rip their customers pockets off. i do like Funcom games and i dont flame TSW for past AoC mistakes, but If you compare Anet with all other mmo companies we actually would need more Anets and less of the rest.

Let's wait for GW2 to release the final version of their cash shop.

We can then discuss whether Anet is going to rip off players or not. The latest BWE wasn't their best effort.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Connmacart

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by Minn

I had the pre order e-mail and I took a look at it then deleted it as soon as I saw the part where you only get 3 character slots but you can buy more at over £8 a slot.

I hope you realise that one character can pretty much learn all 550 or so skills in the game, right? The only reason you'd need an extra character would be to explore the other factions and they give you three free slots for that already.

And if you like to have characters on different servers?

I don't know if the 3 characters are universal or per server. Thing is, how many of us have been playing on multiple servers without tranfering our mains? And besides, are you going to level characters in more than three servers?

Well, based on history, that is 3 characters TOTAL.  AoC gave you 8, and that was 8 total, not per server.  Probably not that big of a deal since IIRC apparently there is only one server type, so no worrying about having a toon or two on a PvP server and/or RP-PvP server.

It's still a cheap nickel and dime move to only give you three slots. 

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by gt4980b

I think lifetimes are good for niche games...it allows them to recoup the development costs faster. 

Funcom has 2 F2Pish games out right now so you know this one will go F2P as soon as they get out the red.  I'm not confident that Funcom will do right by players(the lfietimers) if(read when) this game goes F2P. 

I purchased a lifetime to DCUO because I knew it would go F2P and I was likely to get all kinds of perks out of it.  It turns out that was a wise choice because I play it a lot and now I get a $5 stipend so I am ahead.  I think buying a lifetime is a wise investment if you know what you are buying.  With TSW, I have no idea what this game is about.  It kind of scares me how little I've seen.  I don't actively search out for information but I hardly see anyone talking about it.  Recently, I've seen more Vanguard news than TSW.  That scares me off the game.  But good luck to them.  I'll try it one day.  Ramble off.

You are probably correct.  LotRO also gave lifers (and subscribers for that matter) a stipend of $5 a month worth of TPs.  IIRC all Funcom gives AoC subscribers is $0.50 (yes 50 cents lol), and a small discount on the cash shop.

• mf16mf16 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Sup guys,

I don't know I LOVE AoC but I had a sub over there then they came out with an "adventure pack" and charged premium people a price for the "adventure pack" so i cant say i won't be surprised if they do that over here from the begining, very long update periods lump them together charge you for them even though you pay a sub then give you a free dungeon next couple months so that fanboys can say you still get your subs worth of content then do it again. Just my opinion but its made me very weary of this game and any funcom game from now on and i heard cash shop from the begining so thats where my adventure pack worry comes from.

BTW paying a liftime sub upfront when you can get it after playing the game later is a bit irresponsible and honestly if you do thats cool good on you do your thing just don't be one of those people that says the company scamed you because they didn't thats on you i'm just saying i bet you'll see one or 2 of those threads at least, not all or even majority but one or 2 at least. Just saying buyer bewware buy with your brain not your "heart". GL though and i hope you all get your money worth

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

I pre-ordered the game but ill be holding off on a life time sub untill i get 2 months into the game. If im still enjoying by the end of the 2nd month than ill look into it but for now im not tieing myself down with a 200$ price tag till ive gotten into the game. At least more than at Cons and beta.

• Tamsyn2002Tamsyn2002 Member Posts: 24

Haven't pre ordered yet but hubby and I will be getting the master pack in the next few days. I honestly am thinking about upgrading to the grand master with the life time sub sometime after. This is the first time I have ever even considered going with a life time sub. Mainly because I am that interested in the storyline and see this game keeping me for a long time. I am not a fan of Blizzard or Anet. None of the upcoming games from these folks interest me in the slightest. I do believe that at some point TSW most likely will go f2p...just because Funcom already has several other titles like that and also that they will make enough money off the cash shop with vanity items. I thoroughly expect that is possibly why they are offering the life time sub up front. People like me will spend what they would have spent on a sub on vanity items. My only thought about the cs is that they have a good variety of items and be constantly adding things. I won't spend money there if there is only like 5 or 6 different cosmetic items that everyone else is wearing.

As for hype, I think as others have stated, that Funcom have been careful to not make the same mistake by over hyping. They have done that before as have other recently released games. I think they know that there is a certain amount of distrust these days. I think that is why they have offered so many different pre order choices. I was pretty shocked to see the smallest one which is $14.99 but that comes with no free month. So you would have to buy the monthly sub which puts the total around $30. More like giving the interested skeptics the chance to put a toe in the water instead of forcing them to do a cannonball. I think its pretty clever marketing myself and shows confindence in their product. My opinion is that Funcom are thinking that once people get in they will see what they are getting and want to upgrade. Kind of the complete opposite of what others see as the motive for offering so many pre order choices.

Just the opinions of someone who likes to speculate.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

5.  You will start posting "I paid for a lifetime sub, I should get everything for free!"

Beats the 200 lines of fanboi s#it about GW2 from people who haven't even played the game.

as opposed to the TSW fanbois who haven't played the game and think its great? and waste 200 bucks?!?!!? Trust me.. the game SUCKS! but I know you won't.. you will just think im a "GW fanboi" and ignore my information which is from actual game experience. 

Now what I came back to this thread to inform you all of is the bad customer server from Funcom you can hope to experience. I just had 2 wonderful conversations with live chat because I need to verify my account for like the 3rd or 4th time...

ugg ok so the post is being dumb this part is supposed to be AFTER the live chat but it wont let me >.< Anyways I still cannot access any account, I had to EMAIL them to get things fixed. This is just not acceptable for a company.. emails from 1970?!?! really?!?!? and 2 different guys giving 2 different contact emails. Just be warry.

(01:50:25 PM GMT) Tony: Please make sure to add [email protected] to your contacts and I can try to resend your email verification again.

(01:51:40 PM GMT) Me: its added

(02:42:29 PM GMT) Greg: Have you checked your spam folder and your oldest emails? We have received reports about emails being listed as coming in from 1970 instead of 2012.

(02:42:29 PM GMT) Greg: Have you checked your spam folder and your oldest emails? We have received reports about emails being listed as coming in from 1970 instead of 2012.

(02:43:25 PM GMT) Me: well there is no NEW mails even if the date is wrong, but yes nothing in spam folder.. even checked my other email address in case that was the issue

(02:44:16 PM GMT) Greg: I see. Please add [email protected] to your trusted contact list, then disable any antivirus you have running. Once you do so, let me know so that I can send a new verification email to you.

(02:44:40 PM GMT) Me: last time the guy said to add [email protected] which I did

(02:44:54 PM GMT) Me: this is so I can access **NDA**

(02:45:32 PM GMT) Me: not age of conan

(02:45:58 PM GMT) Greg: I understand, but the verification emails come from [email protected] regardless of the game account.

Well its good to know that they wont noobify things for you and give you access to log into an account that may not be yours (due to your inability to get an email amd verify your account). NCSoft learned the heard way with Aion that you gotta be on the ball and stern when dealing with account issues... I am not suprised the FC rep was repetitive and from your stand point "unhelpful".

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I'm willing to preorder. im not willing to pay lifetime until i have atleast played the game. im hopeful and maybe as far as fangirl, however im still rational.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Tamsyn2002

Haven't pre ordered yet but hubby and I will be getting the master pack in the next few days. I honestly am thinking about upgrading to the grand master with the life time sub sometime after. This is the first time I have ever even considered going with a life time sub. Mainly because I am that interested in the storyline and see this game keeping me for a long time. I am not a fan of Blizzard or Anet. None of the upcoming games from these folks interest me in the slightest. I do believe that at some point TSW most likely will go f2p...just because Funcom already has several other titles like that and also that they will make enough money off the cash shop with vanity items. I thoroughly expect that is possibly why they are offering the life time sub up front. People like me will spend what they would have spent on a sub on vanity items. My only thought about the cs is that they have a good variety of items and be constantly adding things. I won't spend money there if there is only like 5 or 6 different cosmetic items that everyone else is wearing.

As for hype, I think as others have stated, that Funcom have been careful to not make the same mistake by over hyping. They have done that before as have other recently released games. I think they know that there is a certain amount of distrust these days. I think that is why they have offered so many different pre order choices. I was pretty shocked to see the smallest one which is $14.99 but that comes with no free month. So you would have to buy the monthly sub which puts the total around $30. More like giving the interested skeptics the chance to put a toe in the water instead of forcing them to do a cannonball. I think its pretty clever marketing myself and shows confindence in their product. My opinion is that Funcom are thinking that once people get in they will see what they are getting and want to upgrade. Kind of the complete opposite of what others see as the motive for offering so many pre order choices.

Just the opinions of someone who likes to speculate.

Me too ;) I do not buy Lifetime subs, but I decided to do this in A) support of the company and B) give the product solid feedback during beta test in order to  assist FC in releasing a very nice product.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Not going to happen. Especially after watching another video of the game yesterday. What a complete disaster.

TSW will will be AoC 2. 

5.  You will start posting "I paid for a lifetime sub, I should get everything for free!"

Beats the 200 lines of fanboi s#it about GW2 from people who haven't even played the game.

as opposed to the TSW fanbois who haven't played the game and think its great? and waste 200 bucks?!?!!? Trust me.. the game SUCKS! but I know you won't.. you will just think im a "GW fanboi" and ignore my information which is from actual game experience. 

Now what I came back to this thread to inform you all of is the bad customer server from Funcom you can hope to experience. I just had 2 wonderful conversations with live chat because I need to verify my account for like the 3rd or 4th time...

ugg ok so the post is being dumb this part is supposed to be AFTER the live chat but it wont let me >.< Anyways I still cannot access any account, I had to EMAIL them to get things fixed. This is just not acceptable for a company.. emails from 1970?!?! really?!?!? and 2 different guys giving 2 different contact emails. Just be warry.

(01:50:25 PM GMT) Tony: Please make sure to add [email protected] to your contacts and I can try to resend your email verification again.

(02:43:25 PM GMT) Me: well there is no NEW mails even if the date is wrong, but yes nothing in spam folder.. even checked my other email address in case that was the issue

(02:44:16 PM GMT) Greg: I see. Please add [email protected] to your trusted contact list, then disable any antivirus you have running. Once you do so, let me know so that I can send a new verification email to you.

(02:44:40 PM GMT) Me: last time the guy said to add [email protected] which I did

(02:45:58 PM GMT) Greg: I understand, but the verification emails come from [email protected] regardless of the game account.

Take it from someone who has a good friend testing the game... its not... but then again dont take it from me... just more biased unsupported hate...

Whe you can count on is GW2 being just another GW1 with updated graphics and EXTREMELY limited content outside of PVP.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Take it from someone who has a good friend testing the game... its not... but then again dont take it from me... just more biased unsupported hate...

Whe you can count on is GW2 being just another GW1 with updated graphics and EXTREMELY limited content outside of PVP.

Before opening your mouth maybe you should ask yourself "Do I know anything about this product?"  And if the answer is no then you should keep your damn mouth closed as you just make yourself look like an idiot ad ignorant with that statement.

I am not going into everything thats different and what makes GW2 very attractive to most as the list is long.  TotalBiscuit is VERY enthusiastic about the game which is something that is never really seen before.

People got sick of SWTOR vs GW2 pissing contest, we don't need another. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Empirical facts right there.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Some words of wisdom.

The credit card processing goes through a Euro processing source. My credit card company flagged it as fraudulent (possibly).

I called (my cc company) and approved it but the Funcom service didn't 'take' the payment even after I did.

I had to go in, opt for 'other payment options' and add the same card in under a new name. Then no problems. Never was overly impressed with Funcoms payment options/website....

2 online chats with customer reps + maybe 15 minutes sorted it out.

Looking forward to the game.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

For you lifetime sub haters, here's an eye opener that should provide some food for thought :

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/930659-diablo-iii/62453838

This developer is just a handful of gamers who are prob putting this together in their basement, yet people are willing to pony up $1000 to help them out. The game, path of exiles, is actually not a bad game. Its currently in beta.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I bought the lifetime edition.

Means after a year of playing it would of payed for itself anyway. And also Funcom is the only company out there trying something new to the genre where as other MMO developers are staying to the old cookie cutter of class, levels and quest hubs/instances which is making MMO's into a loby type game where you have to sit and wait for groups to form up before going out and running a flashpoint/dungeon.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

As much as this game looks wonderful, as much as I want to play it and WILL in fact buy it and give it a whirl, I'm not going to sign up for a lifetime of something that may or may not actually live up to the expectations, realistic or otherwise.

Too often have I seen friends do this and get bit in the behind.  Tabula Rasa & STO are the two big ones that I can think of.  Frankly only the one guy who got a LOTRO lifetime is getting anything out of it, and even then really didn't seem worth it.  If it's great, I'll pay the sub.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Olgark

Means after a year of playing it would of payed for itself anyway.

*snipage*

How do you know you will like this game so much that you will play it for a whole year?

To me personally that has become a very unlikely occurence.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Well its good to know that they wont noobify things for you and give you access to log into an account that may not be yours (due to your inability to get an email amd verify your account). NCSoft learned the heard way with Aion that you gotta be on the ball and stern when dealing with account issues... I am not suprised the FC rep was repetitive and from your stand point "unhelpful".

ummm except I have all my account info, their system was faulty.. not mine. I have verfied my account several times already.. btw they STILL haven't gotten back to me... Luckily their system went back up and I was able to get an email. Why should I have to verify my account every couple of months and even if I do don't make it my fault that your effing system is down and sending emails from 1970 or not at all! Guess what and I am am now doubley sure that those that wasted their money on lifetimes... truely wasted their money.

Whats hilarious is that you didn't even read my post or you would know they they weren't repetetive at all.. they were contradictory AND that it had nothing to do with me being unable to recieve an email.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Olgark

Means after a year of playing it would of payed for itself anyway.

*snipage*

How do you know you will like this game so much that you will play it fo a whole year?

To me personally that has become a very unlikely occurence.

I think they will log in, play it for 5 minutes and kick themselves lol