Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of... theme?

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

There is a story/theme, they have a famous novel writer doing books for the game. Already released one fairly large book!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Greymoor

There is a story/theme, they have a famous novel writer doing books for the game. Already released one fairly large book!!

Thats interesting... do any of the stories feature a guy in bermudas on a donkey with a bucket on his head going to a disco?

Or are they written as 'serious' high fantasy?

Honest question.

Originally posted by Dewm

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by MarlonB

It doesn't dirsturb me ... yet :) ... i would love to be able to form an opinion about that SOON.

Any one seen suckerpunch? ... bunch of styles mixed ...

I don't think people are understanding 'internal logic' here at all.

The mash up of genres in Sucker Punch works because it follows it's own internal rules of the 'reality' it portrays... it isn't random, it follows and is true to it's own logic.

What the OP is aying that bothers him is the same as watching Game of Thrones and seeing an extra in bermuda shorts, wearing a fruit hat, and riding a space hopper bounce through one of the scenes.

Obviously this would make the majority say 'WTF??', because GoT has it's own internal truths, as every fantasy narrative needs to have, and that inclusion would betray them.

If AA's lore explains and rationalises all of it's inconsistences from the start, then a guy in scuba gear with a bucket on his head at a nightclub is absolutely fine, but if it dosen't... if it presents itself and tells it's lore as epic 'serious' tradtional high fantasy and makes no effort to accomodate the more eccentric parts of it's content... Then many will have an issue with that as the 'WTF??' moments continously jar them out of their immersion.

I will hire you to say what I am trying to say.

lol I wouldn't... most don't read what I write anyhow :P

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Gameplay  >  Lore/Theme

Not having great features like siege cannons, gliders with weapons for air PVP, or underwater helmets for treasure hunting just because it doesn't fit the theme would be a waste.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by spaceport

Gameplay  >  Lore/Theme

Not having great features like siege cannons, gliders with weapons for air PVP, or underwater helmets for treasure hunting just because it doesn't fit the theme would be a waste.

No, but having a magic helm that allowed extended breathing underwater would fit better (in my estimation)

...and I dont' see how burmuda shorts helps anyone gameplay.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Gameplay  >  Lore/Theme

No, but having a magic helm that allowed extended breathing underwater would fit better (in my estimation)

But we aren't only talking about bermuda shorts here.

I mean would you rather have gliders with weapons for air PVP or not? just because it's weird and doesn't fit the theme?

it's still awesome, it's gameplay, more features.

It does look weird, but having tons of different things to do is more important than some arbitrary concept of what is acceptable and what is not in a fantasy setting

Well, at least for me, seriously, are we really complaining about all this great features? would you rather have a generic fantasy MMO with nothing to do but quests and raids?

What im trying to say it's that an unconsistent theme is a small price to pay for being the most feature and gameplay rich MMO since UO.

There is NO way to fit gliders, siege tools, boats, underwater gameplay, farming tools, eastern themed mounts, etc all in 1 fantasy theme.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by waynejr2

Rules, in a fantasy game?  The limits are the limits of the imagination.  I can imagine this, why can't you?

Actually there are rules in a fantasy game, world, book, etc.

Otherwise it follows the "everything but the kitchen sink logic".

Throwing stuff in "just because it's cool" is bad writing.

Or bad creation.

Now, putting stuff in and finding a way to mesh everything together because of an internal logic, a sense of design, is, well, better design.

This doesn't mean one can't break this "rule" (and I put it in quotes  because it isn't so much a rule as an adoption of certain design conventioins) But it has to be done in a way that works. And that is dependent on the creators.

So for instance, one can take a pop song and suddenly have a head banging heavy metal solo and it will feel tacked on and incongrous to the genre.

but (and whether you like it or not) there are hip hop songs that draw upon bits of other types of genres, sample them and weave them into the work in a way that has its own sense.

But as someone else said, it's sandbox, it's open world, I'm there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Sovrath

Rules, in a fantasy game?  The limits are the limits of the imagination.  I can imagine this, why can't you?

Or bad creation.

Now, putting stuff in and finding a way to mesh everything together because of an internal logic, a sense of design, is, well, better design.

This doesn't mean one can't break this "rule" (and I put it in quotes  because it isn't so much a rule as an adoption of certain design conventioins) But it has to be done in a way that works. And that is dependent on the creators.

So for instance, one can take a pop song and suddenly have a head banging heavy metal solo and it will feel tacked on and incongrous to the genre.

but (and whether you like it or not) there are hip hop songs that draw upon bits of other types of genres, sample them and weave them into the work in a way that has its own sense.

Yes, there are rules.  I would think you would have been smart enough to understand where I was coming from.  You can have tanks in a fantasy game, IF YOU SAY YOU CAN"T that's your issue.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Or bad creation.

Yes, there are rules.  I would think you would have been smart enough to understand where I was coming from.  You can have tanks in a fantasy game, IF YOU SAY YOU CAN"T that's your issue.

here you go.

And to clarify, I wasn't thrilled with the limits of the imagination line because it can also be taken by some as "if you can imagine it then it can be thrown in".

It doesnt' necessarily speak to the idea of examining conventions and seeing where they can be bent and folded to create an internal logic that works. Just a bit broad.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Gameplay  >  Lore/Theme

I mean would you rather have gliders with weapons for air PVP or not? just because it's weird and doesn't fit the theme?

It does look weird, but having tons of different things to do is more important than some arbitrary concept of what is acceptable and what is not in a fantasy setting

Well, at least for me, seriously, are we really complaining about all this great features? would you rather have a generic fantasy MMO with nothing to do but quests and raids?

What im trying to say it's that an unconsistent theme is a small price to pay for being the most feature and gameplay rich MMO since UO.

There is NO way to fit gliders, siege tools, boats, underwater gameplay, farming tools, eastern themed mounts, etc all in 1 fantasy theme.

This is all in my opinion BUT: 

Gliders siege tools, boats all fit. 

The weapons on a glider? they would fit if they were old musket style with the flaired end.... but mounted on the glider.

Like I said about the underwater gameplay, I have no problem with that, but make it a spell you get. Instead of a prop from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Farming, instead of magic steam powered tractors, have a plow that is pulled by your mount, like a horse? (which is already in game)

and as far as the eastern themed mounts... ehhh i'm 50-50 on this one. while I think the giant rabbit is retarded looking, I also did play FFXI for alot of years.. so I think I could get past it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a few examples of things that they could change in game to give it a better theme (in my opinion)

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Im not in the least bit excited about AA but I will defend the lack of theme is for a better word a sandbox element that is sorely lacking intodays AAA MMO genre.  Having the player be in command of what to do and when to do it is the best way to make a game and harkens back to the gilded age of MMO's.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• negilumnegilum Member UncommonPosts: 27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_battery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_alexandria

The Greeks also had a cattle driven rail system circa 250 BC.  Imagine if they had replaced the cattle with steam engines. The world would be a much different place.

Or bad creation.

Again, and I keep saying thi, but thats only because folks seem to not get it...

Yes, there no limits to fantasy, by defintion, but even fantasy has to abide by it's own internal logic of the particular story you are trying to tell. Even fantasy has to create it's own 'reality'. Otherwise it is just a heap of nonsensical ideas thrown in a heap, which is just bad story telling by any standard.

Yes, you can have tank, and whatever else, in a fantasy game, but throwing Shermans randomly and without explanation into, say, a story set in Middle Earth would be... well, I hope you get what it would be.

Answer my earlier example please? If you was watching Game of Thrones and a guy rode a space hopper through a scene with a bucket on his head dressed in bermudas would this jar you at all? Would it shatter your willing suspension of disbelief with regards to that particular story? Would it make you say 'WTF??'.

I will ask again, because I haven't read it, does the fiction of Archeage feature a guy on a donkey in bemudas with a bucket on his head going to a nightclub? Does it establish and explain the seemingly conflicting aspects of the gameworld? In other words, does what we are being shown follow the internal logic set up by the established lore? Or is it random 'well, thats funny and cool, throw it in, it's just a game'?

I ask this because without knowing what AA sets as it's lore and how it rationalises it it's impossible to have this conversation about that game's world specifically, which is why I have been trying to keep my point general.

Originally posted by negilum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_battery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_alexandria

The Greeks also had a cattle driven rail system circa 250 BC.  Imagine if they had replaced the cattle with steam engines. The world would be a much different place.

You guys debating what techology is posible in any given age are missing the point of the OP.

This isn't about that at all.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I will be able to forgive a lot of the aesthetics and may even wear Bermudas and have a bucket for a hat if the damn game is good.

Originally posted by RefMinor

I will be able to forgive a lot of the aesthetics and may even wear Bermudas and have a bucket for a hat if the damn game is good.

I feel the same way, but I get why others don't.

For many a game world and an avatar they can emotionally buy in to is extrenely important, hence why so much value is put on character customisation and the like.

Maybe it comes down to whether the player is jut looking for a 'game' or a 'world'... I'm not sure. Each is valid, but they are uually very different perspectives as to what is 'acceptable' when it comes to stuff like described above.

Ref, do you usually care about and read lore, in (quest texts etc) or out of the game?

Don't be silly, ofc there is.

In fact, from a story telling perspective, something like the original Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon pretty much did all that, and did it in a way that stayed true and consistent to it's internal logic.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I see theme in AA. 

Ofc it is not such sharp theme like was (until some point when sillysness started to pur there as well) in i.e Ultima Online , but there is one.

Anyway I am perfrectly fine with AA 'theme' it is fun , just hope they won't have some silly ideas after release.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by RefMinor

I feel the same way, but I get why others don't.

For many a game world and an avatar they can emotionally buy in to is extrenely important, hence why so much value is put on character customisation and the like.

Maybe it comes down to whether the player is jut looking for a 'game' or a 'world'... I'm not sure. Each is valid, but they are uually very different perspectives as to what is 'acceptable' when it comes to stuff like described above.

Ref, do you usually care about and read lore, in (quest texts etc) or out of the game?

To be honest, it's more the fact we have been so starved of a decent sandbox that I am willing to overlook the aesthetic irritants, if others are not going to be able to do it, then they should shout out in the hope that changes are made in some of the more minor aspects( I would think siege engines and gliders etc are fixed in place) but I understand their concerns and hope a more aesthetically coherent AAA sandbox comes along a few years later for them to enjoy.
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Many people in this thread underestimate the value of consistency.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• XebiozXebioz Member Posts: 19

Gameplay  >  Lore/Theme

This is all in my opinion BUT: 

Gliders siege tools, boats all fit. 

The weapons on a glider? they would fit if they were old musket style with the flaired end.... but mounted on the glider.

Like I said about the underwater gameplay, I have no problem with that, but make it a spell you get. Instead of a prop from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Farming, instead of magic steam powered tractors, have a plow that is pulled by your mount, like a horse? (which is already in game)

and as far as the eastern themed mounts... ehhh i'm 50-50 on this one. while I think the giant rabbit is retarded looking, I also did play FFXI for alot of years.. so I think I could get past it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a few examples of things that they could change in game to give it a better theme (in my opinion)

You do know I take it that the book you are talking about was written in the 1870's? At a time when there were no such things? Crazy inventors in the game might create stuff that seem out of place without actually being out of place. In addition some inventions (like described earlier in another post) run on limited resources, so that might be why the technology is around, but it isn't used very much. To me it kind of seems like what you find in dystopic worlds, where there might be an abundance of tech, but it is only used by those who can pay for them (in this case very few probably). 

All in all I think it's important to either get to know the theme by playing the game or by talking to a dev, because you are basically getting the theme from visual input only (unless you know Korean, which is entirely possible). Unless you know that there is no real reason given for these items in-game you shouldn't automatically assume that they break with lore. I don't think it's entirely impossible for these items to be there.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Being able to make ships, castles and soon aircraft as a guild! Sorry but that trump theme for me. I'm more concerned with how much cool stuff you can do in a game, than how good a game is at telling its story at me.
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Being able to make ships, castles and soon aircraft as a guild! Sorry but that trump theme for me. I'm more concerned with how much cool stuff you can do in a game, than how good a game is at telling its story at me.

This is pretty much my sentiments. I'm not too concerned if certain pieces of gear or equipement don't fit perfectly in the lore if I have the freedom to do things. At this point with all the insane features I'm seeing the only thing I'm worried about is the combat. It's one thing to watch a video of someone playing combat and you actually getting in and playing the combat yourself.

I do see the weirdness of the diving helmet vs a spell to help you dive under water. The issue probably is that all classes don't have the access to the spells and actually I would assume they don't. So if it is necessary to have a diving helmet I will go ahead and have a diving helmet.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

And I agree with you, (hence the reason I'm still going to buy the game)

Another thing that bothered me, and I saw a vid about this back in CBT2? I think.. But people could upload there own image to put on a sale on there boat. (it was either the sale or the flag)

Which bothers me... because I just know I am going to be running around my fantasy world, and there goes pamila anderson floating by.. 

So it is what it is, I just wanted to know if I was the only one that noticed these things.

Originally posted by Xebioz

opinion)

You do know I take it that the book you are talking about was written in the 1870's? At a time when there were no such things? Crazy inventors in the game might create stuff that seem out of place without actually being out of place. In addition some inventions (like described earlier in another post) run on limited resources, so that might be why the technology is around, but it isn't used very much. To me it kind of seems like what you find in dystopic worlds, where there might be an abundance of tech, but it is only used by those who can pay for them (in this case very few probably). 

All in all I think it's important to either get to know the theme by playing the game or by talking to a dev, because you are basically getting the theme from visual input only (unless you know Korean, which is entirely possible). Unless you know that there is no real reason given for these items in-game you shouldn't automatically assume that they break with lore. I don't think it's entirely impossible for these items to be there.

UHmm.. what book?