Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Cryo-Firefly Universe

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I got this email earlier this week and they are asking for money for invites and projects not even developed yet or are they so after reading this and going to their website.

Hello DarkCryo Fan,

Well this is likely the email you've been waiting for! You are invited to reserve your seat in the Winter 2012 Sandbox release of the Firefly Universe Online MMORPG. Regrettably, we can only present this offer to a limited number of DarkCryo IDents and urge you please go to http://darkcryo.com, login with your DarkCryo IDent, and level up your account from DCFAN to DCHERO as soon as possible. All DCHERO Accounts are guaranteed full, unrestricted access to all upcoming DC game titles.

Remember that this email is simply an invitation, and requires you to login to http://darkcryo.com and upgrade your IDent as soon as possible. Once complete, you are good to go! If you have any issues, please email your DarkCryo support team at [email protected].

Hope to see you inworld,

DarkCryo Support

Do you smell scam or anyone think this is really legit....??

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I unbookmarked the FUO site after getting this. Good luck to them, though.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

new trailer for this. i got that email too, theres no forum or really anything on the site, and the FAQ says they are building it under "fair use."  My limited understanding of fair use is that you can use bits and pieces of things to discuss or comment on something.  I don't see how an entire mmo is fair use.

and this cryptic comment on youtube: We have a detailed FAQ on that topic once logged in to the DC site. Short answer is no, and why the IP holders will likely? opt to have this engine closed to the general public.

this doesnt smell right.

They seem extremely active on the video page.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I really don't think this game will ever see the light of day. Dark Cryo is going to be squashed like a bug and they know it, which is why they're making a grab for cash now.

my comment recived a response in under 15 minutes:

Forums don't make something legit, however we are a little busy coding more important features at the moment. It will see the light of day for the right community of people, its the undesirables that? will be kept in the dark.

another comment about only a special group of people being involved.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I was really looking forward to this game, but this email made me lose a lot of hope. I understand small companies need money to make games, but asking for pre order money on a game you don't even own the rights to is a bit much.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

i asked how fair use applied to an entire mmo and got this response:  An Attorney might be able to hypothesize further for you, unfortunately that particular topic is reserved under? several 3rd party NDAs.

yeah im going with scam, that reply doesn't even make sense.

another gem: While we haven't come to rule it out, Kickstarter is really for exposure, but we aren't hoping for a million WoW refugees on this one. Our player-base is just over 5,000, halfway to our 2013-2014 targets already.

every comment they make is along the lines of we dont want a lot of people to play our game just the special few.  I can't help but feel this is a "youre one of the chosen (gullible) people, just send us x amount of money and youre in."

I'm a huge firefly fan, this angers me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Another game asking for money before they even make the game.

Thanks for no thanks. There are plenty of games that is AVAILABLE for purchase. I have no intention to pay for a promise.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

watching the 1.1 trailer.. im a list this game as possible vapor/scam until more concrete proof is presented, the model animations are cerca 1995... which will not stand up to gamers of today's eye candy demanding masses. 

while i liked the show of the eps/movie i watched of it.  that "mmo" doesnt really look like an mmo.. more like a fan created video. as well unless they can prove they own the rights to actually make the game  from the IP holders im not going to put much stock in to it being made. 

in a blink of an eye the IP holders can shut the game down instantly fair use or not.  as by all rights the name of the game is copy righted to the IP :/  and not open to fair use. (as far as im aware)

• zeekthegeekzeekthegeek Member Posts: 16

Yah these guys are DEFINITELY scammers, I got banned from their Facebook group because I questioned the fact that those are OBVIOUSLY Poser models in the 'trailer' they made. They even steal their fonts.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

I would have found that if they stated Firefly "inspired" I would have more faith of ths project seeing completion.

If they get The IP for this good on em, I would have to see more than that trailer to believe it will happen, or is happening. I certainly would not be making any purchases. Small companies have a hard enough time putting out their own IP, much less IP owned by corporate giants.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/20983

Alot of individuals mention in the above link mention that there was not enough content in the show to allow for an mmo world. I think that if this project were to see light of day that would be a bonus. I imagine it is much more difficult to "create" a compelling world with pre-existing constraints like Star Wars than it is to have the freedom to create it yourself. Not an easy task, but gives plenty of doors to walk through without limitations.