Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else went out on a limb to support Funcom through Lifetime?

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by Unshra

No matter if it's an indie company or a large corporation, if I like what I see in their product I'll buy it. In the case of The Secret World I know I like it and I'll leave it at that so yes I had no issue paying them for something I liked and truth be told I will have a harder time giving ArenaNet a similar amount for their MMO at this point in time but that's because I have yet to see it for myself.

GW2's lifetime sub is $60 image

That's pretty good for a game with no endgame.

Oh and throw in few expansions that aren't included in the "lifetime" :j

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

No matter if it's an indie company or a large corporation, if I like what I see in their product I'll buy it. In the case of The Secret World I know I like it and I'll leave it at that so yes I had no issue paying them for something I liked and truth be told I will have a harder time giving ArenaNet a similar amount for their MMO at this point in time but that's because I have yet to see it for myself.

Compared to recent MMOs, I'd say it has vastly more endgame than any of them.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Wait, you actually think that TSW expansions will be free for lifers? Oh boy, are you in for a rude awakening.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

I will get the life time as well, if it goes F2P in 2 years I still save money, if it does in a year I break even, and with the limits that F2P often has, it will still save me money over the years.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Have we seen any of the TSW endgame? You believe they are giving away expansions to life subbers in TSW??? image

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

Compared to recent MMOs, I'd say it has vastly more endgame than any of them.

Which is...?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

Thats a good offer in my opinion. Generally i am against standardization of p2p fee (since decade!)... It remind me internet or phone provider with their same price... I wait the day one of these publisher will lower their price and kill the offer...

I assume beeing a consumer in a capitalist world but beeing considering as a milk cow...

However i want to test it before deciding if i will play it (and think of lifetime subscription)

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Cinge

There is a reason FC is giving so many "pay extra" options before the release. They have failed twice now, they know their reputation is complete crap. The fact the offered all these extra options for more $ ( on top of box and sub fees) shows to me they are just trying to get as much money as they can right away. They probably don't have a lot of confidence themselves in their own game.

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner!

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I certainly anticipate a much juicier, more fufill Grilled Wars 2. Lol so many trolls in this thread when they should ne in their own games forums..

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Cinge

There is a reason FC is giving so many "pay extra" options before the release. They have failed twice now, they know their reputation is complete crap. The fact the offered all these extra options for more $ ( on top of box and sub fees) shows to me they are just trying to get as much money as they can right away. They probably don't have a lot of confidence themselves in their own game.

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner!

I'm more of the opinion that they look to go hybrid right out the gate, this is reflected in their wording "Life-time premium subscription". Personally have no issue with this and if it follow a model like AoC then those with a life-time account will get the expansions as part of the subsciption while those playing for free will have to pay. Lets face it even if The Secret World does not start out as hybrid it will quickly go that route after all Funcom started the whole damn thing with Anarchy Online it just took Turbine to make it popular.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Buying a lifetime subscription is utter foolishness.  Does money come that freely to you that you'll blindly throw a large chunk of cash at a product you have such limited experience with?

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by xZeRGz

Originally posted by EndDream

I think the game will certainly eventually be f2p... but they may give cool stuff when it does anyway.

Considering every other title they own is... me thinks it's a safe bet.

True....but..Anarchy Online was subscription from jun 01 till dec 04. three and a half years. Had they offered a lifetime sub and you played, that would of worked out to $4.73 a month. An incredible value.

You'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

As an aside, i played AO for 2 years and loved that game. One of the most underrated MMOs ever and ahead of its time.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Originally posted by maitrader

I certainly anticipate a much juicier, more fufill Grilled Wars 2. Lol so many trolls in this thread when they should ne in their own games forums..

Yes, everyone who disagrees with what you say are trolls.

Buying a lifetime to a Funcom game? It's actually hard to think of a worse way to spend $200. I won't even buy the game until 3-6 months have passed. Even then it would require Funcom to have held up to their hypemachine, which is doubtful at best.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Ekaros

Originally posted by PukeBucket

I don't think I'd life time sub to any MMO. Just cuz it's real easy for a plug to be pulled and that "investment" goes nill.

That's my decision. As a person in the creative industry I'm glad suckers are born every minute.

FC doesn't have history of killing MMOs...

On other hand, I don't pre-order it cause EUR-USD pricing and the fact their payment account don't allow adding it.

If they now offered life-time for AO, I would take it...

So true....if anything...Funcom has proven they won't let your MMO die at all. Good if you like their games and don't hold a grudge as if they killed all your kittens.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by Ekaros

Originally posted by PukeBucket

I don't think I'd life time sub to any MMO. Just cuz it's real easy for a plug to be pulled and that "investment" goes nill.

That's my decision. As a person in the creative industry I'm glad suckers are born every minute.

FC doesn't have history of killing MMOs...

On other hand, I don't pre-order it cause EUR-USD pricing and the fact their payment account don't allow adding it.

If they now offered life-time for AO, I would take it...

So true....if anything...Funcom has proven they won't let your MMO die at all. Good if you like their games and don't hold a grudge as if they killed all your kittens.

Good point...anarchy online has been going for almost 11 years. tell me all the mmo devs that have made mmos that lasted that long...not many, i assure you

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

Won't be supporting funcom, even though I did purchase Age of Conan and had a pretty good time playing it for 6 months or so.

Far too little information out there about this game, the combat in the videos looks really bad, most of the characters look like urban untrained nobody's who decided they should chop monsters with a Katana, and shoot sideways cause the movies did it.

No sign of your character actually being a Hero at all, your just a nobody with no skills. Even the dialogue has you sitting there listening to someone rant on, but you make no decisions.

It also sounds like they scrapped some of their ideas during production in regards to how PVP functions, leaving me to believe the game will release largely featureless again.

Sounds like a standard funcom dish. Pile of crap with a side of potential and a chef who's on smoko break.

• pinkpinkpinkpink Member Posts: 7

i got it al!

Love Fun com love ther games, been a AO player befor it whent F2P.

Played AoC for a long time, now its time for TSW :)

Go Fun Com!

Me and me.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm still waiting on required info on the game, there's so little out there that it's like buying a pie without knowing if it's apple, orange, cherry or dog-poop pie. I want to know before the purchase :)

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I had the pre order e-mail and I took a look at it then deleted it as soon as I saw the part where you only get 3 character slots but you can buy more at over £8 a slot.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Minn

I had the pre order e-mail and I took a look at it then deleted it as soon as I saw the part where you only get 3 character slots but you can buy more at over £8 a slot.

I hope you realise that one character can pretty much learn all 550 or so skills in the game, right? The only reason you'd need an extra character would be to explore the other factions and they give you three free slots for that already.

• Fallen40Fallen40 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by maitrader

Sup guys,

I have been a long-time fan of Funcom... unlike many people who nitt-pick the crap out of funcom and their games, it truly is the ONLY company to offer something different and revolutionary to the genre with each game... We need more FUNCOMS ... not more Blizzards and Anets... I dont make tons of money, but I wanted to support funcom for trying a brand new spin on the genre through TSW... such balls (regardless of whether it works or not) deserves to be supported.. especially in a genre full of clones trying to be EQ or WoW... This game is being done unlike any game before its time.. for the amount of time they have been working on it (4 - 5 years anyone?), I believe this game will be good at launch, and spectacular in time. WHO ELSE BOUGHT LifeTime?!

This whole thread is not about supporting the developer at all, it's about bragging rights.  Look at me I bought a lifetime sub to a game.  At the same time you hope the post gets some positive reassurance from other like minded individuals.  God forbid you are the only one to buy a lifetime sub, if that happened your world would probably implode.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Oh the irony. You realise that TSW has no 'endgame' either? Also Funcom won't be giving lifetime subscribers free expansions either.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Xasapis

I hope you realise that one character can pretty much learn all 550 or so skills in the game, right? The only reason you'd need an extra character would be to explore the other factions and they give you three free slots for that already.

And if you like to have characters on different servers?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Connmacart

Originally posted by Xasapis

And if you like to have characters on different servers?

I don't know if the 3 characters are universal or per server. Thing is, how many of us have been playing on multiple servers without tranfering our mains? And besides, are you going to level characters in more than three servers?

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

I'm not going to play at all just find the whole stance dismissive as if everyone does things the same way. What will it hurt you if someone has 5 characters on the same server or across many. Some might like to have characters with different personalities for example.