Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA is voted Worst Company in America, Now What?

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

EA exec :  " Worst company?  HAHAHA!  Or the best?  We're a huge corporation after all!  I can actually feel myself getting richer! " * Rolls $100 bill into cigar and smokes it*   " Oh Delores, you're the best secretary ever!  You made a little Bioware cake for me resembling the logo!"  * Faceplants into cake and gobbles furiously* 

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Funny.

Now if it was worst company in gaming industry I could see that arguement(activision is getting close).

But worst company in all of the US? No.

There are companies out there that literally made and make profits on people dying and on people losing their livelyhoods(houses, jobs, investments etc). Hell almost every company involved with the recent mortage nightmare(which BoA was apart of), that literally brought the US economy to its knees is 100x worse then anything that EA has done.

There are a plethora of companies that outshine EA in being the "Worst".

Survey just seems like a bunch of bitter gamers who's life is gaming and they can't seem to see past it. You can even see it in some of the editorials on this survey. They don't mention EA's horrible customer service or outsourcing, they just mention the actual games. They can't even be mad at EA for the right things.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by Mike221

Company screwing over franchises wins over company that took peoples houses without adequate reason....

Man people are stupid.

You just have to observe some kids when they have their toys taken away and you'll understand certain gamers.

HAH HAH... that suits this forum to a T.

In all seriousness - what a ridiculous way to run a poll - actually, just what a ridiculous poll

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by uofa13l

I see a lot of people posting how pathetic it is for EA to "own" this title in comparison to company A, B or C.

Since Exonn and BofA were mentioned the most I would like to ask why anyone thinks that these companies are most deserving of the title. I am not asking for direct comparisons between EA and these two just a staement or two on what practices specifically you hate about these companies that make you dislike them.

Well, I'll take a stab:

1. BoA: Has consistently been targeted by consumer advocates for being the leader is charging usuary rates and fees on their bank account and credit card holders. Has been sued in the US for illegally foreclosing on people's houses and in many cases, foreclosing on the wrong house! Recepient of millions in tax-payer funded bailout $$$ which they largely used to buy other banks, pay bonuses to top executives but did not use it make loans to the average middle class/small business owner like the money was intended to be used for.

2. Exxon: Responsible for countless oil spills all over the world (Exxon Valdez the most well known). One of the companies most sited for exsessive pollution but always can count on its pais politicians to have their back and remove any kind of regulatory muscle the EPA could use to hold them accountable. With other oil companies, has supported and  helped keep in power dictatorial regimes in Africa, Indonesia and the Middle East which have horrible human rights records.

3. EA = Killed my favorite game IP. Buys and kills cherished game companies. Sells crappy video games...

Just doesn't seem to compare does it?

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Ok so clearly kicking people outside homes or morally awful practices by Monasanto that will impact all of us are definately worse ,by far than anything EA does.

Anyway there is one good thing in this article

"If you want to topple EA, don’t vote in a poll. Vote with your wallet."

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

In an online poll, companies that annoy a huge number of people will always lose out to companies who completely screw over a fewer number of people.  I find it funny that so many people failed to understand this, I would recommend studying the flaws of utilitarianism.  I hate EA more than I hate Enron, because Enron never screwed me or anyone i know over.  I simply don't care about people I have never had contact with.  Most people are like this even though few probably will admit it. 

Now, there is a special place in hell for SallieMae since I have had to deal with them.  EA is more of a forum trolling stylized hate, where I dislike them intensely as a company but don't think about it all day.  SallieMae is more of true hate deserving of gypsy curses and unwanted magazine subscriptions.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Forget about homeles people who lost homes in the FNMA crisis. Forget about the insurance companies that "borrowed" billions from taxpayers to throw parties and hand out bonuses. forget about major corporations falsifying finaincial statements while going bankrupt taking retirements with them. Forget about oil companies who destroyed coastlines and econmies that depended on them. forget about companies ponzi schemed people's entire lives away. Forget about rich business men who adopt their girlfriends as daughters to transfer billions in wealth out of their own name to avoid paying in wrongful death drunk driving lawsuites.

There are MUCH larger fish to fry. I mean this company "butchered" the Star Wars IP.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

From SoE to EA, soon it will be Activision and possibly NCsoft with GW2. As mentioned in the article, EA isn't the problem. Big business is the problem. They want to please everyone by making content accessible and mainstream. Sad thing is, I don't see this changing anytime soon. Big business will continue buying smaller, creative companies in an attempt to turn a profit. Infuriating players in the process. It's a viscious cycle.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

In the gaming category i would have to agree that they are the worst, however, in ALL of America, definitely not.

BofA definitely fits that nicely considering they still are operated by criminals that never have been arrested or prosecuted for their role in 2008.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

And gamers voted the most venal, jaded, misguided, and out right selfish consumers on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I too have a very dim view of EA these days and have for awhile. But for people to vote a company that makes bad mindrot for kids over one that has helped to ruin a multitude of families security and financial viability, as the worst, shows a spoiled lack of care for anything outside their own tiny little lives.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Must be the majority  who voted for EA have no idea what corps like Monsanto are actually doing to people with there bullshit patents and genetic manipulation of foods. Oh ...and the hell with all the bailed-out financial institutions that fucked over millions only to give themselves great cash prizes at the end of the year. Year after year while they cut the benefits and wages of all their other employees. Who cares about that........ when EA charges me for DLC or keeps me waiting on line when I call customer service. They ruined my game...*sniff..fucking *sniff.

That they're even included among all those other consumer imperialists is a fucking joke.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Originally posted by Greymoor

What games did EA ruin?

Do we really need to name them all? You can start with Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and then we can start listing off all the failed MMO's they started and killed in record time. Earth and Beyond, The Sims Online, Motor City Online, ect.

Don't forget SWTOR

You forgot Warhammer Online.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Connmacart

What games did EA ruin?

Do we really need to name them all? You can start with Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and then we can start listing off all the failed MMO's they started and killed in record time. Earth and Beyond, The Sims Online, Motor City Online, ect.

Don't forget SWTOR

Want to just throw TSW on the pile as well then?

Oh and I don't have any love for EA quite the opposite.

The Secret World is Funcom, not EA.  Unless they're connected somehow and I don't know it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Biased poll via the internet, remember this.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

EA worst company in America...thats just really really sad.

I don't care how much you hate them...they just make video games. There are companies far worse that do much worse things then charge you to much for DLC or make bad games (or whatever the kids are complaining about these days).

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by Tardcore

And gamers voted the most venal, jaded, misguided, and out right selfish consumers on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I too have a very dim view of EA these days and have for awhile. But for people to vote a company that makes bad mindrot for kids over one that has helped to ruin a multitude of families security and financial viability, as the worst, shows a spoiled lack of care for anything outside their own tiny little lives.

Originally posted by itgrowls

In the gaming category i would have to agree that they are the worst, however, in ALL of America, definitely not.

BofA definitely fits that nicely considering they still are operated by criminals that never have been arrested or prosecuted for their role in 2008.

They are also the only bank that would give me a checking account when no one else would, despite a decent income.  If it wasn't for them I would still be stuffing money underneath a matress.  I'm forever indebted to them even if it was only through their own incompetence.   As far as the bailout, corporations are out to make money and THAT IS ALL.  They will do whatever it takes and are so predictable that you can bet that they will always take the course that gives them the most money.  This is why an economy must be regulated.  Having the Bush Adminstration in office for 8 idiotic years did not help the situation.  In summary, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Most people will think about themselves and the people close to them first, and people they don't know second.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's a harsh world.   It's okay to not give two shits about people you have never heard of. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Connmacart

What games did EA ruin?

Don't forget SWTOR

Want to just throw TSW on the pile as well then?

Oh and I don't have any love for EA quite the opposite.

The Secret World is Funcom, not EA. Unless they're connected somehow and I don't know it. 

EA is the publisher for TSW in NA.

• bomber009bomber009 Member Posts: 21

I really don't think they are the worst company in America.  They are certainly the worst gaming company probably ever, however the only way to force a change would be to stop purchasing their products. 

Oh how I wish EA had never bought Bioware.... woe unto us.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by red_cruiser

I know EA sucked, but beating out Bank of America, Monsanto, Wal-Mart and Exxon-Mobil is something else.

That's a pretty amazing (in a negative sense LOL), when you think about it.  And when you think about it some more, what makes it even more scary is that EA has in their hands the balls of alot of developers.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Unlight

What games did EA ruin?

And Syndicate.

But it's not so much about the games they ruined, but the promising developers they gutted and discarded.  The potential for some incredible games that they snuffed out is why I consider them the fucking scourge of the industry. 

Still not as bad as modern banks though, when you broaden your perspective, but I'll save that for letters to the editor of my local newspaper.  In this forum, EA IS the devouring chaos.

A complete list of studios EA destroyed in the name of profit....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by sullivanj69

They are also the only bank that would give me a checking account when no one else would, despite a decent income.  If it wasn't for them I would still be stuffing money underneath a matress.  I'm forever indebted to them even if it was only through their own incompetence.   As far as the bailout, corporations are out to make money and THAT IS ALL.  They will do whatever it takes and are so predictable that you can bet that they will always take the course that gives them the most money.  This is why an economy must be regulated.  Having the Bush Adminstration in office for 8 idiotic years did not help the situation.  In summary, don't hate the player, hate the game.  Most people will think about themselves and the people close to them first, and people they don't know second.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, it's a harsh world.   It's okay to not give two shits about people you have never heard of. 

But wait. If its ok to not give two shits about people you've never heard of, why should corporations be forced to act any differently? Why the need for regulation of the economy if the only people you should worry about are yourself and yours?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

The thing that pisses me of about EA is their Steam wanna-be Origin.. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Originally posted by kakasaki

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by red_cruiser

I know EA sucked, but beating out Bank of America, Monsanto, Wal-Mart and Exxon-Mobil is something else.

Wal-Mart and Exxon-Mobil are actually pretty good at giving their customers what they want at a price they're willing to pay.  Some people dislike for political reasons the business practices that they use behind the scenes to do that.  But it's not at all similar to how EA treats their customers.

Exxon-Mobile is not a good comparison. People are willing to pay for gas because (unlike video games) it is a necessity. People need it for the cars to get to work, companies need it to fuel the trucks that move goods from factories to markets. As most people how they feel about the oil companies and you aren't going to get may "I think they are great!" replies.

If you hate Exxon-Mobil in particular but not other oil companies, then it's easy enough to just buy your gas from a different company.  If you hate oil companies in general, then buying gas makes you ridiculous.  It is possible to avoid buying gas entirely; it's not like you'll die if you don't.  Certainly, it would be a major lifestyle sacrifice to give up much of modern technology.  But that's kind of my point:  hating oil companies for making your life dramatically better is ridiculous.

The argument for EA as a terrible company is not an argument against computer games in general.  It's that within the video game industry, EA is uniquely bad, and does obnoxious things that most other gaming companies would shy away from--or perhaps even dismiss out of hand without serious consideration.  Can you say the same of Exxon-Mobil?

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Just stop buying their games...

Play them if you feel you can`t live without them, but don`t buy new games from them. EVER. There are enough second hand game stores and other options for you to play their games without giving EA any money. Use them.

Hit them where it hurts, their income.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by sullivanj69

There is a big difference in corporations at the upper management levels and those who make local decisions within the communities they service. While that nice helpful human being used their limited authority to help you in a positive constructive way, there are people many layers above them that will poop on their own as fast as they's poop on you, actually sooner and moreso. You were fortunate to have found a good person who happened to work for that bank. But It could have been any bank. It doesn't mean the upper echelons are the same.