Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple question

Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Guild wars 2 is ofc a sequel, but I was just wondering how many peeps are planning on getting GW2 but haven't played GW. Also, I logged into GW today for old times sake(and to check my b-day gifts hehe). And experienced ye old nostalgia. I have to say how much of a brilliant job they did with GW. The total cost of buying all three games + exp. cost me about £100, and I spend a good 1500 hours+ playing GW. It was one hell of a game, had some awesome times with guildies, trying to come up with unorthodox good builds, like the Me/W who weilded a sword, tryna kick ass with illusionary weaponry lol. I really am looking forward to GW2, planning on building a new rig just for it.

Oh I would appreciate if we can keep this one thread for this sort of talk, no critisism of the cash shop or WvWvW, some of us appreciated GW for a damn good reason and will hopefully expect the same with GW2.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I played GW1 for a while.  Some of the limitations of the engine frustrated me and I didn't end up loving it or anything, but I'm really looking forward to GW2.  

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Have close to 6000 hours played in GW1

Haven't played much in the past year though. Definitely will pick up GW2.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have the campaigns and played briefly. I even broke it out again last week to try and get HoM stuff for GW2. I am not slamming GW1 at all and I admire you guys that played it, it wasn't my cup of tea and I can't get into it. 

I am very stoked about GW2 though. I have even started reading the novels! :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Played GW for 1month, very limited game, fortunately only lore as anything to do with GW2 and structured pvp

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Loved GW although I don't really play it anymore. I did get the 30/50 HoM though, 50/50 requires a lot of gold and I didn't want to grind. One thing that always frustrated me was the lack of jumping but otherwise it's a solid game, especially the Nightfall campaign and the Eye of the North expansion. One thing that I really liked about GW was all of the different builds you can create for your character and your heroes. There was no "one perfect build" to own everything and certain content required a different approach and skill set.

It's a bit hard to pick up but once you get a few decent builds going for yourself and your heroes, it becomes a blast to play.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I loved GW1. 4000+ hours (not including my alt account) playing, most of those were GvG (Top 100 guild, if anyone stills cares about that) but a lot were the holiday events as well as grinding 40 sumodd HoM points.

I really liked the Holiday events, and I hope many of them make a return (Mad King Thorne <3) or better (Roller Beetle Racing could be a lot more fun with the new engine).

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Played Guild Wars for about a month.  It sucked balls.  The reason I'm going to give GW2 a look is because it's apparently nothing like Guild Wars.  If it was even remotely similar, I wouldn't touch GW2.  

I plan on using GW2 as my backup MMO, for when I need a break from my current one.  Will probably play it a few hours a week casually.  

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

All the games cost me around $200 something. Played the first one, but it seems like not a lot of the GW2 fans did.

So... what did you do in those thousands of hours? In my playtime I know I was accumulating gold. Getting prestiege armours. Tried getting FOW armor but way to expensive and drop rate luck crazy. Too bad all the monks got the goodies though.

What do you think the end game PvE side is going to be?

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

I like GW1.  I only played it for a month the first time around, got halfway through a campaign but then went back to WoW.

Since I heard about GW2 I went back and gave it another chance.  I've since completed the stories for Prophecies and Factions and have made good progress in the other two.

I don't think it's the best game ever.  The camera is pretty bad and some of the interface and mechanics can be clunky.  I do think though that it's an incredible value though for the cost.  I think it tells a couple of pretty good stories and I think they made real progress in those 2+ years.  I probably have 400-500 hours in it and if GW2 wasn't coming out I could definitely see spending more.  Right now I'm just making a point of trying to wrap up Nightfall.

The people who didn't like it, I understand.  I think it tends to be a hit or miss game for people.  If people haven't tried it, it's probably still worth checking out.  You can probably find it for $20 in a sale and they're not going to shut the servers down.  Even if the mechanics are totally different you can still see some of the design philosophy as well as more appreciate the easter eggs in GW2.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• AzmariaAzmaria Member Posts: 22

I've logged about 2500 hours of GW1 throughout all of the expansions.  I loved the PvP (well, most the GvG) - I still hold it up as the shining example of what structured PvP should be in a MMORPG.  The PvE storylines were fun enough for a run through or two, but they got old after that.  

I'm surprised to find that I'm excited about the PvE in GW2 as much as I am for the PvP.  Maybe it's the dynamic events, maybe is that I have to continue to think in PvE (rather than making sure I have a healer) - I'm not entirely sure.  I'm eagerly awaiting April 10th and all of the following landmark dates that will be announced.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Played GW for a few months around launch. Not really my kind of game. The sharded world, henchmen and lobby cities put me off. Even though I loved the graphics and atmosphere.

Very curious about GW2 but not really convinced yet. More than anything I'd like to hear some long term player reports; people who played the game up to and including level 80 for a considerable time.

And for some crucial things I'll have to wait and see untill after launch I suppose; like the "final" cash shop itterations, WvW mechanics in a match up between full servers (any queues?), length of loading screens, etc.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

I played GW for quite a while and loved it.  Planning on the pre-purchase in about a week.

• DarknezzzzDarknezzzz Member Posts: 82

Didn't really play GW1. Yeah, yeah, I know - "GTFO NOOB" and such.

Just never encountered it at the right time, was to busy playing some other stuff. Tried it couple of months ago, and it just didn't seem to be that good. Maybe because now my taste is spoiled with shiny graphics, or I'm just too lazy to go into details. Probably second, because from time to time I still play old games. 

But definetely want to try GW2.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Darknezzzz

Didn't really play GW1. Yeah, yeah, I know - "GTFO NOOB" and such.

Just never encountered it at the right time, was to busy playing some other stuff. Tried it couple of months ago, and it just didn't seem to be that good. Maybe because now my taste is spoiled with shiny graphics, or I'm just too lazy to go into details. Probably second, because from time to time I still play old games. 

But definetely want to try GW2.

GTFO NOOB!! :P

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, I never go into WoW because of the £9 a month sub and £30 cost for the game was too taxing for my pocket money lol, GW was the cheaper option, so maybe I would've really enjoyed WoW. Since you tried it a couple of months ago you probably noticed how dead the outposts in the prophecies and factions campaigns. So I don't blame you for finding it hard to get into the game so long after release.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Loved GW, still play it on occassion. Already fully paid for the collector's edition of GW2 at GameStop.

Me happy.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I played/own GW1 but never really invested much time into it - to be honest I didn't like it very much.

GW2 is top of my list for future games and I cannot wait to pre-purchase in a week and give the game a whirl in beta.

I've heard it said that GW2 really is a completely different beast than GW1 unlike most sequels, but still has all the "Guild Warsy-ness" of GW1.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Never played GW. Didn't appeal to me as a concept. I'm lovin' everything I've seen about GW2, though.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I played GW 1. I think I started playing it with my wife, and we played for 6 months.  the camera angle hurt her eyes so we stopped playing it, but we both left agreeing that, control wise, it was a better experience than the latter games we played.  

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I didn't spend thousands of hours like some, but I played GW enough to get Legendary Guardian for beating all the missions in the three campaigns in hardmode.

Interestingly the main thing I liked about GW - the team-based hero play - is not in GW2. I'm still mad excited about the new things GW2 is bringing, though.
  • stormseekazstormseekaz Member UncommonPosts: 168

I played GW1 for about a month or less, and I am not planning on purchasing GW2.  Under most circumstances I will give every new AAA mmorpg a try, but there are alot of new games coming out in May and I think I will be occupied with one of them when GW2 arrives.

The main reason I am not excited about GW2 is because I never really got into GW1.  If there is such thing as a "Casual" MMORPGamer, then I am the opposite of that.  If the game arrives and it lives up to the hype then I will almost surely try it out.  3 faction large scale PVP is very appealing to me.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by BadSpock

I've heard it said that GW2 really is a completely different beast than GW1 unlike most sequels, but still has all the "Guild Warsy-ness" of GW1.

About as well as I've ever seen it explained image

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

FOR SURE THE FIRST CHOICE. PLAYED GW, LOVED IT, AND

THEN FELL IN LOVE GW2

AWESOMENESS

COOL

COOL

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I've played the entire GW1 universe off and on (mostly on) for about 5 1/2 years now.  It's just a well made and fun game.  GW2 has me really excited and I believe it will be another well made and fun game.

Impatiently waiting for April 10th!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!