Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?

Comments

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

If anybody, including the OP, has looked at all the information about GW2, and still don't see "anything special" about it.  Than no amount of added footage, or added features will convince them.  There is just no helping you people.  And if that's the case, perhaps MMO gaming isn't your thing.  Although Guild Wars 2 is an MMO, it has lots of other game genre's thrown in to...so maybe those people should take up table top gaming, or card playing instead of gaming altogether.  There is no helping you.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Originally posted by Camthylion

I haven't seen anything special... the graphics look Asian themed, the gameplay = nothing special.  I suspect in GW2 you create a character grind to max level then do epic quests.   I am not even planning on buying this game, it looks like the same shit I was playing 10 years ago.

Then, why are you in the GW2 forums?  I mean, isn't it like, "Gee, I don't have anything to do, I think I'll hunt up some Jehovah's witnesses to talk to"?

Holy crap!  You'll never guess who just knocked on my door!  Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses.  Just one of those oddities of life I suppose.  Glad I didn't say Mormons, those guys are a little tougher to get rid of.  Kinda like gum on your shoes.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by slicknslim88

If anybody, including the OP, has looked at all the information about GW2, and still don't see "anything special" about it.  Than no amount of added footage, or added features will convince them.  There is just no helping you people.  And if that's the case, perhaps MMO gaming isn't your thing.  Although Guild Wars 2 is an MMO, it has lots of other game genre's thrown in to...so maybe those people should take up table top gaming, or card playing instead of gaming altogether.  There is no helping you.

I totally agree with you.

Guild Wars 2 in my Opinion isn't a game that needs others to make you play. All the information is already given, you have all the closed beta footages that you can find. If you are not interested then you are not interested.

Its not like other MMO that requires other players to force you to purchase and play, the game itself should do it for you.

I was never hyped by other players or forum goers for Guild Wars 2, I saw some footages from the 2nd Closed Beta press footages and read about the features and then I made an decision that this is exactly what I was hoping MMO gaming was supposed to be like.

If you are not interested then there are plenty of other MMO out there, Tera , TSW , Titan ....etc

To be honest, I don't think there is anything else that hasn't been talked about for GW2, if you are still waiting for that SOMETHING SPECIAL, i think you will be disappointed.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• GWFandaddyGWFandaddy Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Monorojo

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

Nope, I have seen plenty 'special' enough in this game, from it's asthetics to it's lore to it's fundemental design philosophy to the obvious passion and imagination and problem solving that is going in to it.

It maybe is not the best thing 'since sliced bread', but it looks very much like, for me, the best thing to happen in this gaming space for a long long time.

What's so great about sliced bread? image

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Lucioon

Originally posted by Achrisos

Originally posted by Volkon

100 hrs? There were people logging 30 hours plus in the beta weekends alone and barely scratching the surface. In purely my opinion, 100 hours sounds a little pessimistic. :)
    Even if u level cap before 100 hours u still need to do the skill quest in order to have enough skill points to get all the skills. And then after that there is dungeon runs, Pvp, exploration and alts to experience the other races and storylines. LOTS of hours of gameplay!

You will probably spend all that 100 hours just to get all the skills for your weapons that is available to you and finding out how to use it.

Not to nitpick too much, but many reports have said that it takes about 5-10 minutes to unlock all 5 skills in a weapon set.

You also don't need skill points to unlock those, just have to have any quality of said weapon set you find/buy/are rewarded etc.

It is however probably going to take a considerable investment of time to aquire enough skill points from the skill challenges to unlock all of your elite and utility/healing skills though.

Originally posted by Camthylion

I haven't seen anything special... the graphics look Asian themed, the gameplay = nothing special.  I suspect in GW2 you create a character grind to max level then do epic quests.   I am not even planning on buying this game, it looks like the same shit I was playing 10 years ago.

Its like you are not even trying when you post stuff like this.

Not gonna go in detail but all it takes is 1 press beta review and your arguments disappears and makes you look silly.

There are stickies that explains in extremely simple terms on GW2, maybe you should try them before posting your opinions. So that atleast they are based off of actual facts.

• bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Something special??..........yeah a release date.  Then I will enter my order.

Originally posted by BadSpock

100 hrs? There were people logging 30 hours plus in the beta weekends alone and barely scratching the surface. In purely my opinion, 100 hours sounds a little pessimistic. :)
    Even if u level cap before 100 hours u still need to do the skill quest in order to have enough skill points to get all the skills. And then after that there is dungeon runs, Pvp, exploration and alts to experience the other races and storylines. LOTS of hours of gameplay!

You will probably spend all that 100 hours just to get all the skills for your weapons that is available to you and finding out how to use it.

Not to nitpick too much, but many reports have said that it takes about 5-10 minutes to unlock all 5 skills in a weapon set.

You also don't need skill points to unlock those, just have to have any quality of said weapon set you find/buy/are rewarded etc.

It is however probably going to take a considerable investment of time to aquire enough skill points from the skill challenges to unlock all of your elite and utility/healing skills though.

unlocking the skills is the easy part, learning how to use them isn't, especially when you get to switch your weapons and you get new skills.

And when you do Structured PVP you get all elite skills and utilities unlocked i believe ( not sure) so that you get to experiment more on how to play your character.

And thats not even touching the Dynamic events and personal stories, and the exploring.

Probably won't take me 100 hours, but you could...thats all i was saying.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by GWFandaddy

Originally posted by Vesavius

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

Nope, I have seen plenty 'special' enough in this game, from it's asthetics to it's lore to it's fundemental design philosophy to the obvious passion and imagination and problem solving that is going in to it.

It maybe is not the best thing 'since sliced bread', but it looks very much like, for me, the best thing to happen in this gaming space for a long long time.

What's so great about sliced bread? image

heh...don't ask me, i'm just quoting the other fella :)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Is there still a lot to reveal, except complete and concrete information about what will be in the cash shop? There may be a few more forms of competive PvP. There will be some more dungeons. there is starter areas of Asura and Sylvari, the personal stories minigames etc. If nothing shown thus far really interests you, then you'll have to wait a bit before digging in.

Hopefully GW2 will be a smash hit and you'll still be tempted to try the game.

imageimage
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Cinge

Oh boy the GW2 white knights are going to come ridiing in on their noble steed soon to roast you.

Actually they're not, there's no mounts in GW2 :P

Anyway, the dynamic events are propably my favourite so far and looks very entertaining and fun, should keep me busy for some time, if there's any point in playing in the open world besides leveling, assuming it's true that gear means basically nothing in this game (hope there's some rewards besides the "JUST FOR FUN :D" in quests and events).

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by BadSpock

unlocking the skills is the easy part, learning how to use them isn't, especially when you get to switch your weapons and you get new skills.

And when you do Structured PVP you get all elite skills and utilities unlocked i believe ( not sure) so that you get to experiment more on how to play your character.

And thats not even touching the Dynamic events and personal stories, and the exploring.

Probably won't take me 100 hours, but you could...thats all i was saying.

Personally I'd advise against rushing through... there's so much to do and see that I promise if someone is hitting 80 days or weeks ahead of me all I'll be wondering is what he missed. This isn't a WoW style game where everything begins at max level, it really does matter that you enjoy the journey.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by cali59

Currently, I have seen all the information that has been offered on the winternet pertaining to beta.

Not a single thing seems even remotely interesting atm. I am banking on the fact that Anet is holding back some information or footage that will be revealed closer to launch to actually make me want to buy this game.

As of now however, I have no will to buy it whatsoever.

You've started 5 previous threads in the GW2 forum, titled...

"So can we call GW2 the ultimate care bear MMO?"  (locked)

"LF1M DPS ResurrectionOrb required"

"So what are the benefits of a Pay to Win game like GW2?" (locked)

"So if you love healing, avoid this game like the plague, right?"

and "So what exactly will keep people playing?"

And then you continue the trend by insulting the people who would have taken the time to give you a thoughful answer to your question.

I see no reason why anyone should give this thread any serious consideration whatsoever.

A+  response.

...wondering when someone with actual powers will notice this trend with all these "beehive pokers" and do something about this kind of trolling.  I know they don't have any problems issuing warnings to the rest of us if we if we much as "insult" anyone by calling them ignorant.  I don't even care that they're ripping on Anet, I rip on Anet plenty myself.  It just seems that the noise to signal ratio in this forum has gotten A LOT worse since this intentionally misleading vocal minority showed up....

• MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Armchair moderators are hilarious.

Anyway, it seems like those using the "wait and see" method are actually  the majority in this topic. I am glad seeing this :)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by iller

It just seems that the signal to noise ratio in this forum has gotten A LOT worse since this intentionally misleading vocal minority showed up....

Some of them got insulted that a few GW2 fans said that their favourite games weren't as cool as GW2, and ever since then they have been on a crusade of misinformation and hysteria to water down the GW2 hype with slogans like 'pay to win', 'nothing to do at end game' and 'asian MMO'.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by slicknslim88

If anybody, including the OP, has looked at all the information about GW2, and still don't see "anything special" about it.  Than no amount of added footage, or added features will convince them.

i agree - and nothing wrong with that :)

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Armchair moderators are hilarious.

Who's in an armchair?  I AM an administrator.  ...(just not for this network)

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

Originally posted by drakaena

I think people just need to have a realistic idea of what exactly GW2 is. I don't really even consider it a MMORPG. It's more of a CORPG. It's basically a lobby game. Where I think GW2 will succeed is that they offer many different gameplay styles that are easily accessible. DE's, Dungeon Crawls (with various difficulty settings), E-Sport PvP, and owPvP. All these features seem well done, but none in and of themselves are revolutionary. GW2 is a jack of many trades but master of none. It looks like a lot of fun though, and that's all that matters. 

Lobby game?! The only lobby aspect is for competitive PvP, that's it. The persistent world is fully MMO, even WvW is MMO in it's persistence.

Lobby game. HA! You silly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Lobby game?! The only lobby aspect is for competitive PvP, that's it. The persistent world is fully MMO, even WvW is MMO in it's persistence.

But you can access all of these features instantly from your interface. It's not really an open world at all. It's extremely instanced. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

But you can access all of these features instantly from your interface. It's not really an open world at all. It's extremely instanced. 

If you want it to be it probably is instanced. Try not fast traveling, it's all on how you want to play the game. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

You access every feature of every game through it's interface... that's why we have interfaces.

The world is an open world. You go into the world, you're out there with every other player that went into the world as well. Only dungeons and personal story lines are instanced. (This, of course, uses the traditional MMO definition of instance as being a private copy of a game area for you and your party only.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Amjoco

If you want it to be it probably is instanced. Try not fast traveling, it's all on how you want to play the game. 

I suppose... but it's obviously designed with the intent to use fast travel. Why try to force the game into becoming something it's clearly not. And even if you went that route, each zone is still instanced from the others, so you aren't in an open world regardless. Maybe an open zone, if that's how you choose to see it.

I'm not bashing the game. I'm excited to preorder just like I'm sure most of you are. I'm just realistic in my expectations about what I'll be getting. 

I suppose... but it's obviously designed with the intent to use fast travel. Why try to force the game into becoming something it's clearly not. And even if you went that route, each zone is still instanced from the others, so you aren't in an open world regardless. Maybe an open zone, if that's how you choose to see it.

I'm not bashing the game. I'm excited to preorder just like I'm sure most of you are. I'm just realistic in my expectations about what I'll be getting. 

Of course it's designed for fast travel. Fast travel is a part of Guild Wars lore. It would be immersion breaking to not have fast travel.

No, the zones aren't instanced from each other. Everyone that goes into a zone is in there together. You can pass through a portal, I can fast travel to a waypoint, someone else an enter from a town that's in there and we'll all be in the same place together. You can factually say that there are zones, but you're definitely using the wrong definition of "instance" as it pertains to MMOs.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Of course it's designed for fast travel. Fast travel is a part of Guild Wars lore. It would be immersion breaking to not have fast travel.

No, the zones aren't instanced from each other. Everyone that goes into a zone is in there together. You can pass through a portal, I can fast travel to a waypoint, someone else an enter from a town that's in there and we'll all be in the same place together. You can factually say that there are zones, but you're definitely using the wrong definition of "instance" as it pertains to MMOs.

Now I could be wrong... but its my understanding that if you manually walk your character from one zone to the next you will be presented with a loading screen. Not only that, but you can only cross zones by traveling on a specific path. Which I imagine is a very small portion of the zone itself. It isn't like I can go exploring a mountain, and cross the other side, to find myself in another zone. Call it what you want, but to me, that isn't an open world.