Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trolling is illegal.

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Well,  not yet,  but it could be!

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

Troll.  Go to Jail.  What do you think?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/arizona-bill-could-criminalize-internet-trolling-184547052.html
    "It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

Annoy will be difficult to define in law, lots of people here think my posts are intended to annoy them when in reality it just so happens its my genuinely held views that the muppets find annoying.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Arizona leading the way as usual!!!

Err, ok sometimes we get some things wrong, lol.

As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Basically I think the intent is good here but I can't see anyway that this could be implemented successfully at all.  Since basically anything said by anyone can be seen as offensive to someone.  It is nearly impossible to talk nowadays without offending someone with all the political correctness we have.

But at least here in Arizona we got DSL right :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Can't tell if Arizona government is trolling

Or just stupid.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Everyone knows that Arizona loves to poop on the US constitution and make idiotic laws that won't be upheld.  If there was any justice in the world then the US government would just give Arizona to Mexico.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

since everyone who says something you don't agree with is a troll today and since this is an excuse for everything...

The whole population will end up in jail.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by korent1991

since everyone who says something you don't agree with is a troll today and since this is an excuse for everything...

Truth

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Exactly. 90% of people on the internet don't even realize what trolling ACTUALLY is, and even fewer actually pull off real trolling attempts well.

People throw the word around as a replacement for "idiot" these days, so that being the case, calling someone else a troll is actually trolling in itself.

Yup. Whole population.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Originally posted by Ceridith

Or just stupid.

Probably both... ups, and jail it is for me.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

What do I think? Boards across MMO's will become very empty and EvE Online will have to close it's doors. ^_^

With that said they also contradict themselves by saying that it's "not" targeting trolls despite what the "wording" says. 

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So just for humor sake, This probably means you cant retaliate against a troll from a different region, but the other way round is lawful. lol.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    There was a report on a major UK news channel about trolling and they basically described harassment by social media text etc. Meanwhile away from the real world of normal people in the MMO universe to troll is at most saying something nasty about a game someone else likes in a way that will get them angry and is usually just having a different opinion to them.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Operation Desert Troll

Originally posted by sullivanj69

Everyone knows that Arizona loves to poop on the US constitution and make idiotic laws that won't be upheld.  If there was any justice in the world then the US government would just give Arizona to Mexico.

I so want to answer fully on this one but as to not derail the subject of this thread like you are trying to do I won't say anything past PFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Originally posted by melangel

Truth

What I was saying condensed down, also yes truth.

• dnadestinyxdnadestinyx Member Posts: 22

I don't think it'll happen...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Lol .. They prob dont have enough man power to enforce it even if they employ the whole pop of china.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The right to free speech leads to the right to remain silent.

How ironic.

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

Not illegal yet, it is in the process and has a very long ways to go. Nice topic header to draw people in on something that isnt true YET. Hopefully if it passes it stays in Arizona.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Ceridith

Or just stupid.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Fuggly

Not illegal yet, it is in the process and has a very long ways to go. Nice topic header to draw people in on something that isnt true YET. Hopefully if it passes it stays in Arizona.

I wouldn't worry. There is no way the Arizona law passes 1st Amendment muster...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DevokanDevokan Member Posts: 29

Well just respond to a topic with a troll post or something that looks like it on this forum and youll get a warning/suspension.

I remember responding to a SWTOR topic beforethe game launched and i stated why i dislike the game and wouldnt play it at launch (i got a warning for trolling)  As a matter of fact it was not trolling and in the end i predicted the future.

Rules are to strict.  i used to post alot more under a diffrent account here now i just lurk at times but most of the time go to a other but similar forum.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If this passes I'm going to hell... er, jail I mean.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by RefMinor

There was a report on a major UK news channel about trolling and they basically described harassment by social media text etc. Meanwhile away from the real world of normal people in the MMO universe to troll is at most saying something nasty about a game someone else likes in a way that will get them angry and is usually just having a different opinion to them.

I believe a couple of people have already served jail time, but as you said that's 'real world' trolling not the stuff here i.e. anything someone doesn't like.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Kyleran

If this passes I'm going to hell... er, jail I mean.

I'm pretty sure most people would... given they live in arizona.

Not sure how this would even work...  we already contend with moderators that are there to police their personal space of the internet,  so - what, they'll just round up the list of bans from MMORPG.com, see who lives in arizona and then make some arrests?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I'm writing Janice Brewer to take down her web site because it offends me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville