Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifetime sub: Warning flag, or risk aversion?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

In all seriousness. To purchase a lifetime subscription to a game stull under NDA is simply not a good idea.

It's truly a gamble. This game should be far enough along by now where the NDA isn't needed. Is that a marketing attempt. Sort of like the Irony of the secret world still being a secret? Are they trying to protect their investment? Or are they hiding something? There are a lot of IFs. If you want to believe in Funcom, that's your perrogative. They have proven they can create a great MMO. But they have not proven that they can launch one.

Given their past, you cannot fault someone for suggesting to err on the side of caution.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

In all seriousness. To purchase a lifetime subscription to a game stull under NDA is simply not a good idea.

well, this I would agree with. Unless you actually play the thing and get a sense of it, it would be foolish to do so.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

https://www.safetysolutions.com/orderform/images/0117152.JPG

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Paying a lifetime subscription for a product with an indeterminable lifespan is nothing short of gambling. You'd be better off sinking the same amount of money into lottery tickets or slot machines.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by Tardcore

Paying a lifetime subscription for a product with an indeterminable lifespan is nothing short of gambling. You'd be better off sinking the same amount of money into lottery tickets or slot machines.

Except with lottery tickets and slot machines you might get 0 returns.

Buying the lifetime won't leave you empty handed although the value of 200$ is debatable.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

So far every game I've seen that offered a lifetime sub went F2P shortly afterward. To make it worth it the game would have to be sub based for at least 14 months.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

its a warning flag. the game wont be very popular and will go free to play model. they want to sucker people as much as they can before it goes free to play.

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

So far every game I've seen that offered a lifetime sub went F2P shortly afterward.

Yeah, but it depends on how they go f2p.

Look at LOTRO, I still fee the lifetime sub would have been completley worth it, regardless of the f2p.

You still get all the updates without paying additional money. f2p you have to pay money for all of that. I would go so far as to say the f2p is not worth it if you are one to play regularly.

The question is whether or not The Secret World is going to be an enjoyable and reasonably polished experience. If so then I don't see Funcom shutting it down (though they very well could make it f2p) and depending on how they go f2p the lifetime sub could still be an advantage. I'll admit i am not clear no the difference between a sub and f2p wiht AoC.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Salio69

its a warning flag. the game wont be very popular and will go free to play model. they want to sucker people as much as they can before it goes free to play.

" Ditto " With all things Funcom " Let the Buyer Beware ".

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Originally posted by Salio69

" Ditto " With all things Funcom " Let the Buyer Beware ".

AOC had a poor Launch, but is Probably the best MMO made in the last 5 years now. Its a matter of Opinion but those that have played AoC in the last year or 2 will likely agree with me whole heartedly.  Its insanity to think how good the game would of been had they not lost so many Subs in the first month.

In any case, of all the MMO companies out there I would say they are the least likely to release a game without it being completed and polished.  The have learned there lesson Im sure.... and there commitent to AoC, fixing it, growing it - shows there commitment to doing things right. 

They also make amazing games (Much better than any NA companies).

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Tardcore

While your First statement is true, on your second statement your ignorance is showing.

Millions to one odds in the case of lotteries. == Twelve to one odds in the case of MMOs. 

I have two games I payed lifetime subs for, Both have paid off big time, even After going F2P. 

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by bloodbone

AOC had a poor Launch, but is Probably the best MMO made in the last 5 years now. Its a matter of Opinion but those that have played AoC in the last year or 2 will likely agree with me whole heartedly.  Its insanity to think how good the game would of been had they not lost so many Subs in the first month.

In any case, of all the MMO companies out there I would say they are the least likely to release a game without it being completed and polished.  The have learned there lesson Im sure.... and there commitent to AoC, fixing it, growing it - shows there commitment to doing things right. 

They also make amazing games (Much better than any NA companies).

I liked AoC enough to stay subbed to it 3 months after release. That having been said, your post is grade A quality troll material.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

My thought is that The Secret World will be exactly what I said it will be, that Funcom will stick by the product but that it will go f2p at some point.

They want the lifetime sub so they can recoup some of their investment quickly.

After the game goes f2p then they will most likely make some sort of differentiation between subs, lifetime subs and f2p.

It probalby will still be worth it provided that the game is good.

Havnig said that, the game will have the same issues that SWToR has regarding and "end game" because it relies heavily on story.

That's my guess.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Nethriil

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by Sovrath

IF I could do it again, I'd buy a lifetime sub to LOTRO.

I don't see anything wrong with the title. If anything, I see a lot "right" as it seems like a very casual game that one doesn't have to dedicate all their time to playing.

It really depends on what they are willing to consider a financial success.

NC Soft is big on axing games but Funcom doesn't seem to be like this. As long as they are happy with a smaller share of the mmo pie the game should run for a while.

The problem is that there's so little of the title to see when it's relatively close to release. No Open Beta events planned, VERY few gameplay videos out and the title will be releasing around GW2 or even earlier.

The major internet reviewers haven't been given access to the game, so it's kind of evident that funcom is either lacking confidence, or the title is being pushed to release.

PAx east this weekend. Open to Play. So lots of feedback from users after this

Yeah, I'll be at PAX so I plan to try it out.

//\//\oo

I don't mind that there's so little to see. In some ways I prefer it. I'm tired of not having surprises. Movie previews show the highlights to the entire movie, games seem to be huge in letting players know every litle detail.

Maybe it's a generational thing but I don't mind being "surprised". As long as I can try the game beforehand to determine whether it's something I will want to revisit then it's no issue.

main problem is if you played enough you know pretty much what they gonna do, its rare you find something nad say well I don't see that comming, because most of time we do.

and pro reviews are biased to who is paying the most, several times they give a 9-10 for crap who only get 5 if you are in a real good mood. best way is let the game launch, read all the cry, hate, cursing, threaths of suicide, the queue dancing too, then you go see if the game is really worth. I say just for the P2P with CS I would steer clear from it, and I was following the game hoping it was good enough, but now, I don't even care.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbericAlberic Member Posts: 1

Definitely a warning flag ive been playing mmos long enough to know a scam and doodoo when i see it. [1994 to present]

only game that i have interest on right now are tera and archeage. Ill prob play tera for awhile before it gets boring since its the same old themeparkish formula, Archeage is the game that i believe has any chance of being genuinely fun and good since it follows what mmos used to be and that is worlds molded and crafted by the players and also the story of the game being crafted by players, and by that i mean epic battles for land and power and alliances and guilds duking it out for control of the world. This is only posible because of the effect that players can have on the land because of all the shit you can build etc something that themparks mmos cant do since the world is static and never changing.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

This is a total cash grab...>Can you imagine if they ahd done this with AoC??....Heck 87% left after the first month of launch....No telling how many of those would have been screwed out of a lifetime sub before they tried it.......There is hardly any vids on the game on youtube and even the ones that are labled "30 minutes of gameplay" are only a few minutes and mainly talking (the one I watched you saw one quest boss fight and that was it).......TSW just screams of "we are trying to hide as much as we can" and blindly buying a lifetime sub is a great way for a company to get 200 dollars out of someone that probably wouldn't have played more than a month normally.....Unless you've been in beta for quite awhile and know exactly what you are getting, a lifetime sub is incredibly stupid.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by garbonzo

The bonus for pre-ordering should be company stock, because that's basically what you're doing - giving cash to a corporation so they can develop a product and hope it succeeds. Pre-order customers ought to share in the profits for risking their money on an unknown.

In regards to SEC rules and regulations, I would hate to see what a lawyer might do in a worst case scenario.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I believe the first AAA MMO to offer lifetime was LoTRO.  This was a game done by a AAA developer, with a great IP and full expectation of great success on launch.  

Further to that, it ended up as a game that has stood the test of time and remains one of the best themepark MMOs on the market.  

My point?   There is no conspiracy.  Well, at least not related to product pricing.   In today's MMO world, it is quite common to have a lifetime sub offer, it is quite common to have a special edition of the game that cost more and gives you mostly irrelevant junk, it is common to have a game shop with cosmetic items.  NONE of these things are an indicator of game quality.  There have been good games with these payment options and shitty games with these payment options.  

For example, SWTOR was charging people an extra $100 for an edition that still only included one month of play and some other junk in the box.  A lifetime sub is at least a quantifiable thing to buy - you know the exact payoff (13 months of play or so).  If TOR had offered a lifetime sub, there would be about a million people out there feeling "ripped off" after the two weeks that it took for the novelty to wear off.  But, at the same time, a whole ton of people who LOVE LOVE LOVE the game and anything star wars would probably be thrilled and continue playing free for the next 5 years regardless of the game's quality.   

Lifetime sub isn't for everyone.  Not meant for everyone.  It doesn't mean anything in itself.  The game may go freemium.  But that might end up being a good thing.  LoTRO went freemium and it was one of the best things that ever happened to the game and it has resulted in a lot more content development and other improvements.  Lifetime subbers still go their money's worth.  STO is the opposite example.  Again, there is no conspiracy.  Developers offer different models, games succeed or fail.. you roll the dice, take your chances.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

Bleh... It's really upsetting.. It's just a money grab.... :(

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I don't think it means anything, it appears it's just the way they do things...I doubt I buy it, atleast not till I play normally, and if I love it, and as some have said you can still buy it afterward...So after my free time is up, and if it blows me away, maybe...  I generally am not trusting enough of anyone to do that though...Not just Funcom, but any company.

If you want to find something negative, you always can, or try to read into things, you can convience yourself of anything...I just see it as the way they do business.

I do not see why people are 'upset' either, it is not like they are making you do it?  I don't get that at all.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I had to vote warning flag in this case because I do think the companies reputation is relevant in situations like this.  I don't think as a general rule this is what is meant when a lifetime sub is offered as in LOTRO it launched offered lifetime subs and most of those with lifetime subs played well beyond the monetary expenditure suggested and they still reap benefits from having subbed lifetime. 

But fast forward to now and I'm growing skeptical of companies like SOE who don't last a year as a sub based mmo while making statements claiming they always intended to go free to play.

Funcom though has earned a bad reputation with me from misteps that are too easily viewed as underhanded marketing tactics like releasing games without features that are advertised on the box and limiting review sessions to sections of the game that are polished well beyond antything else in the game.

I'm just not willing to trust that Funcom wouldn't cross their fingers and hope that people would stick with them through a myriad of problems if they arose upon release.

I like the concept behind the game and do hope it works out but I will definintely have to wait and see in this case.

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

I agree. The concept of the game is a big plus, but it's the reputation that makes me very worried....

Plus, the lack of released content makes me wonder if there is a terrifying reason they have been so secretive. Also, if you look on their site at who they are hiring, they are looking for animators for the game, which, to me, indicates a lack of polish in their animation department. (which is very bad considering how close to release the game is.) 

I'd say it's best to wait until they either let out a slew of real videos showing real people playing the game, or even wait until after release to purchase the game. Funcom has burned too many bridges with their releases to deserve a 200 dollar lifetime sub without any real content shown to date. We have seen the same regurgitated videos for the last six months almost. 

• bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Warning flag.  Thats a no brainer.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Big time red flag.  All the recent LTS sub games have been terribad and have gone F2P (or worse) in under 2 years.  LotRO at least made it over 3 years before going F2P, and probably never would have to had gone F2P if it wasn't for so many people playing for free already.

The fact there is so little gameplay footage available this close to launch should be another red flag.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Really big warning flag. Just offering this is a really bad sign. You can fall for this once, but not twice. Rarely a life sub is worth the money. There probably won't be enough content to keep you busy for one or more years, let alone life.

imageimage