Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowrun Returns!

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I know there are a few Shadowrun fans here, so I wanted to make you guys aware that the original creator of Shadowrun is trying to make a new Shadowrun game funded by Kickstarter.

If you guys are like me and want to see Shadowrun come back, then check out his page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Oooh, shiny!  Thanks for the heads up!

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

Ive been waiting a long long time for a new Shadowrun RPG. loved both the snes and genesis versions. this game world would be perfect as a co-op rpg shooter, mmorpg and like their planning on making turn based. not a fan of begging for starting funds instead of pushing their idea to a big devoloper and getting proper funding, this seams to be the trend as of late

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by Creslin321

I know there are a few Shadowrun fans here, so I wanted to make you guys aware that the original creator of Shadowrun is trying to make a new Shadowrun game funded by Kickstarter.

If you guys are like me and want to see Shadowrun come back, then check out his page:

Nice, love shadowrun.....

Just donated 100

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Absolutely loved that game. It'd be nice to actually see something happend.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

This is great news. I cant wait to get my hands on that editor.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

nice, any word on a when?

Currently bored with MMO's.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

All I can say is...............KICK ASS! This looks like just what the street doctor orderd. The best I.P needing a new game bar none.  Good find O.P. Will be keeping close tabs on this one and probably sending them some cashto boot.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Caponestyle

Ive been waiting a long long time for a new Shadowrun RPG. loved both the snes and genesis versions. this game world would be perfect as a co-op rpg shooter, mmorpg and like their planning on making turn based. not a fan of begging for starting funds instead of pushing their idea to a big devoloper and getting proper funding, this seams to be the trend as of late

I think the problem is that big publishers just don't want to publish the niche games that so many of us like.  They are all about monetization now...if they can make more money doing CoD 99 than they can on a really unique, deep game...then they are going to do CoD 99.

Personally, I really hope that this whole Kickstarter craze pans out into a legitimate funding model and doesn't just die as a fad.  Because it actually allows a game dev to appeal directly to the end consumer for investment...instead of having to go through a publisher that will always just try to maximize profits, art be damned. 

It really all depends on the success or failure of these current Kickstarter projects though...if the big ones like Wasteland and Double Fine flop...then I think Kickstarter will wind up just being a fad for game funding.  Here's to hoping that these Kickstarter projects knock it out of the park...

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

I got really excited for a second and then watched the video. Turned based RPG, not an MMO. I played a console version of Shadowrun years ago which was fun, but I find I get bored with single player games extremely fast. Unless there is content which requires team cooperation, and high level incentive to continue playing a game, it ends up getting removed from my PC in favor of games that have some longevity and bring me a sense of community. I LOVED the Shadowrun world and concept. Would be much more excited if this were going massive muli-player however.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Its been a great month for returning franchises, Wasteland, Leisure Suit Larry, Double Fine, now this and possibly the Gabriel Knight Series as well. All my gaming goodness as a child is coming back in force thanks to these people :D Donated to the Shadowrun Project :D Loved the Super NES version hard as hell... :P

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I bought the first 6 Novels, even a couple of "Never Deal with a Dragon" becuase of the printing glitch.  And most of the RPG manuals ( I am a manual collector ).  Never played any of the Video Games, weren't on PC, or a flawed implementation.  A single player game with Online Co-Op ( 4 - 8 player teams ) game play could work.  But I to would prefer if it was an MMO.  Beleive it or not the whole reason I played the Matrix Online (MxO) was becuase it was he closest thing to Shadowrun.  Wouldn't it be cool if some indie developer was working on a Cyberpunk + Magic MMORPG, with player made Corporations & Gangs, Totaly Destructable / Constructable environment, and minimal themepark ( TBA ).

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Valmarill

I got really excited for a second and then watched the video. Turned based RPG, not an MMO. I played a console version of Shadowrun years ago which was fun, but I find I get bored with single player games extremely fast. Unless there is content which requires team cooperation, and high level incentive to continue playing a game, it ends up getting removed from my PC in favor of games that have some longevity and bring me a sense of community. I LOVED the Shadowrun world and concept. Would be much more excited if this were going massive muli-player however.

I believe there is going to be a Shadowrun MMO, but it's just not this project.  This is from the FAQ of the Kickstarter Shadowrun project:

Shadowrun Online is a 3D in-browser, mission based MMO with an emphasis on co-op and PvP gameplay being developed by Cliffhanger Productions and scheduled for release in mid-2013. The game is set in the 2070 era of Shadowrun and will pick up on some of the plotlines and characters in our game, Shadowrun Returns, which is set in 2050.

So your hopes shouldn't be dashed just yet :).

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I just pledged. I never thought I would support a Kickstarter project. I couldn't think of a game that would compel me to. But as soon as I saw "Shadowrun" I knew I had found the game that would.

If I can't have a Shadowrun MMO, a tactical, turn-based rpg is the next best thing for me. I just love this game world with it's high-tech meets high-fantasy motif.

• AlienShoresAlienShores Member UncommonPosts: 79

Originally posted by Konfess

I bought the first 6 Novels, even a couple of "Never Deal with a Dragon" becuase of the printing glitch.  And most of the RPG manuals ( I am a manual collector ).  Never played any of the Video Games, weren't on PC, or a flawed implementation.  A single player game with Online Co-Op ( 4 - 8 player teams ) game play could work.  But I to would prefer if it was an MMO.  Beleive it or not the whole reason I played the Matrix Online (MxO) was becuase it was he closest thing to Shadowrun.  Wouldn't it be cool if some indie developer was working on a Cyberpunk + Magic MMORPG, with player made Corporations & Gangs, Totaly Destructable / Constructable environment, and minimal themepark ( TBA ).

I love the idea of a new Shadowrun game, but I also wanted to address your post in particular :)

If you haven't already, check out the in-development Otherland MMO based on the great series of novels by Tad Williams.  Definitely not the same feel as Shadowrun, but the IP allows for scif settings + fantasy settings + virtual reality + politics.  The recent development videos have really sparked my interest.

Now I'm off to see about donating to this Shadowrun Kickstarter project!

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I've loved Shadowrun since 1991.  I played the hell out of the PnP game (all four versions) and adored the SNES and Genesis games. 

I'm so in.

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Valmarill

I believe there is going to be a Shadowrun MMO, but it's just not this project.  This is from the FAQ of the Kickstarter Shadowrun project:

Shadowrun Online is a 3D in-browser, mission based MMO with an emphasis on co-op and PvP gameplay being developed by Cliffhanger Productions and scheduled for release in mid-2013. The game is set in the 2070 era of Shadowrun and will pick up on some of the plotlines and characters in our game, Shadowrun Returns, which is set in 2050.

So your hopes shouldn't be dashed just yet :).

I'm glad you caught that because I watched the video before heading out to work today and looked as best I could to see those words. I obviously missed them. Thanks for teh info. :) I am reinvigorated!

28k more to go to the goa!! :D looks like Shadowrun is definitely returning :D

Originally posted by firefly2003

28k more to go to the goa!! :D looks like Shadowrun is definitely returning :D

It certainly looks like it.  Asof right now, we just have a little over 12k to go.  I'm pleasantly suprised at how fast the goal is being met.

If you can't use Kickstarter, our PayPal is now LIVE! Go to http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal  to back us!

Update #1 - You did it! Holy Cats! 

Wow, that was incredible. 

From the bottom of our hearts, we'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone who has backed us so far. If we weren't working our butts off on our new game, we'd be dancing around the Closet (our tiny office) with tears of joy streaming down our faces. Instead, the team is heads-down at their computers, sniffling loudly and wiping their eyes with their shirt-sleeves.

To everyone asking about a Mac version of the game, we've been saying that if we hit the $425,000 level, we'd add it. Linux support is definitely on the table too! (After all, who'd be a better Decker?)

In Jordan's video update below, he talks about things we could add to the game if we hit higher funding milestones. We're working on clarifying those milestones and will have an update for you before the weekend (in Seattle). 

Let's keep this going! Do the Social Media Dance of Love:

• Share the link to our Kickstarter page via Facebook, Google +, Twitter, Westeros Raven, whatever.

• Like the Harebrained Schemes Facebook page and start talking.

• Tweet and RT your love. Use #shadowrunreturns so we can all participate.

Thanks again.

HBS loves you!

New Video also!!!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

OMW to donate now. As an avid Shadowrun fan I am all over this. Thank you Creslin for bringing this to my attention sir.

edit: just threw down $100, here is hoping for a linux version!

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

wow super nostalgia...................sob and i am unemployed too, i wanna donate real bad. sweet find op! puttin this high on my watch list.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I love Shadowrun, he's got my money. 

Also, is sad that there is more games on kickestarter that I am looking forward to then big name games?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Nice!!

I played Shadowrun PnP for many years with a group of friends. I will have to let them know about this.

Creslin,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  It feels really good to be inolved (even if on a very small level) in the revival of one of my most beloved franchises of all time. 

I swear, it feels like Christmas and the development has barely even begun.  I'm going to try to temper my anticipation though.  The disapointment would be miserable if the game turned out to be no good.

BTW... As of this writing, the funding is well over $500k and there are still 23 days to go.  It may not hit 1 mill but I think it could get close. 

Update #3: Wow (again) and Stretch Goals

Let’s get this right out of the way—your extended backing has already enabledus to add the following to Shadowrun Returns:

• Mac version – available for everyone and also included at the $15 backer level (We can’t change what the description says but it’s true!)

• Additional languages: German, French, and Spanish

• And . . . RIGGERS!

Yep, that’s right. We’re going to include Rigger characters and the drones they control, dramatically expanding the game play in all sorts of fun ways.  Again, these are NOT stretch goals – they’re going to be in the game, thanks to your kind support.

As Jordan mentions in the video, the game is set in Seattle and every dollar above our initial goal will go into making a richer, deeper, gameplay setting with more stories with more assets.

But if we hit a stretch funding goal of $1m we will be able to add the following:

• A second city to explore. Which city? Well, that will be for Backers to decide! We’ll create a list of cool places for you to vote on. More on that later!

• A more powerful and more accessible (less ugly) mission editor, so more people can tell deeper stories in the world of Shadowrun.

• A musical score that resonates like the SNES and Genesis soundtracks did in the Long-Ago.

We continue to be blown away by your level of support and your passion for Shadowrun. In fact, we were almost carried away on the wave of enthusiasm over the last couple of days. But yesterday we took a step back and refocused on our core design principals and what we want Shadowrun Returns to be. (That’s why you create core design principals in the first place—to refer back to them in situations like this.)

As part of our review, we came to the conclusion that feature additions such as aLinux version, Multiplayer PvP, and Cooperative Play are beyond the scope of the project and would cause us to lose focus on the game you reacted to so positively (and the game we really want to make).

When Shadowrun Returns comes out (and is the success we all want it to be), we promise to look at these features as the core of a future release.

We are totally focused on our core goals of creating a kick-ass single player game with deep stories and thoughtful turn-based gameplay in world we can all play with. We hope you respect that decision, and again thank you for your enormous support and encouragement. 

If you can't use Kickstarter, our PayPal is now are in LIVE! Go to http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal  to back us!

New Video for those who havent been following :D

Goal Currenty 826k!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns?ref=live