Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-order after what they did to AoC?

2»

Comments

• NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20

I Pre-ordered AoC and got a year out of it. Guess I was lucky since I didn´t have any major issues with it. I do feel They fixed AoC quite quickly though and i´m confident they´ll sort things out fairly quickly if there are any problems with TSW aswell. But I guess that´s just me after reading this thread.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Originally posted by syntax42

I hope most people haven't so quickly forgotten the horrible flop of a launch for Age of Conan.  It started off the same way as The Secret World, with fairly little information or opinions being released before launch.  Because of the similarities and Funcom's history, I am very hesitant to pre-order TSW without hearing some "readiness" opinions from actual beta testers and not just press who get paid to hype a game.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

By the way, I am not suggesting a positive or negative image of the game.  I will probably play it, but I simply can't justify a pre-order until I know more about the predicted state of the game for launch.

Same here. Im not paying anything until i played myself or saw alot of ingame footage.

Right now this game is stil a mystery. Funcom talked alot of the game ideas and visions. But there is no beta footage or feedback.

Diablo 3 and GW2 is just around the corner. TSW can wait for my cash or never.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by ElderRat

To assume a future game will be bad because a previous one was, is ridiculous. You mean to tell me, even if reviews or positive forum feedback comes in you'll be..."nope, i'm not playing cause AoC stunk" ? Think about it, what you're saying now is going to seem pretty dumb in retrospect if the game turns out good.

With your reasoning...."heck no, i'm not gonna get a 2012 corvette ZO6 because their chevy vega was a lemon"

Let me boil it down, after their previous record I am willing to wait for them to fix the game before I invest in it. If they launch with a finished product this time, well then good for them, I'll check it out. If they launch with an unfinished product then I will just wait until they finish it.. or not.  Edit: I have learned to be patient, I no longer have to play a game on it's first day.. I can wait.

Why did you feel you had to "boil it down" for me? If you had read what i said, and what you said was sincere, then you would of know my post wasnt directed at you

It seemed that you needed it boiled down,  I stand by my boiling process, if you like paying for unfinished product and like it raw, then hey have at it. I am a little older and like my product finished and boiled to a perfect "T".   I felt that there may be some out there that needed a boil on it also. LOL, Just Saying.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Sorrow

AOC's a great game now and getting a ton of love and support, so if I had bought a lifetime I would have had a game that was worked on and supported constantly and eventually became a great game.

It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination.  It's better than it was, but still not very good.  I'm hoping Funcom learned their lesson and will have TSW ready to go at launch.

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Sorrow

AOC's a great game now and getting a ton of love and support, so if I had bought a lifetime I would have had a game that was worked on and supported constantly and eventually became a great game.

It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination.  It's better than it was, but still not very good.  I'm hoping Funcom learned their lesson and will have TSW ready to go at launch.

I dont think they did learn....

why else would they offer a lifetime subscription, in most cases they offer that just incase it goes the wrong way. For example:

DCUO

Champions online

(LOTRO and STO not included because they still had a pretty good player base before they whent f2p)

so ye im just guessing this game goes F2P in a couple years maybe months who know

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Seriously?! Don't you think Funcom learned from their mistakes? I am sure that FC knows that they failed big time with AoC's launch. But, FC has turned that game around and has made it one of the best on the market now. That's good enough for me to pre-order from them.

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

Not pre-ordering.

Too many signs point to a WoW clone in gameplay, with very little evidence around on the web as to how the actual game plays.

I'm also tired of the mentality of "lets sell the beta access period" No thanks, If they don't give me a free trial or an open beta then theres no chance I'm buying this one.

Hype won't see me your game, let me play it first.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Seriously?! Don't you think Funcom learned from their mistakes? I am sure that FC knows that they failed big time with AoC's launch. But, FC has turned that game around and has made it one of the best on the market now. That's good enough for me to pre-order from them.

Seriously do you forget about there other game which many say was the worst mmog launch in history Anarchy-Online? If you think funcom has learned anything your seriously mistaken,.Funcom has and always will be about the release cash grab they don't worry about long term profits all they do is try to get ppl interested enough they will buy into there hype machine plain and simple.The company has ZERO integrity.They did a thing about a year ago for there kid mmo pets vs monstors promising anyone who would log on on a weekend during a set time and make lvl 15 would get beta access for TSW.Me and 4 friends went in and did just that.They never did credit our account and when all of us emailed them about itt with proof we had did it they replied back to each of us with a pretty much too bad for you we aren't gonna fix it.

Sorry but this crook company will never see a dime of my money ever again.I spent 5.5 years in AO through all there expansions other than there last.All of them were broken or full of false promises they released the Alien Invasion expansion advertising player markets right on the box and they didn't even get it into the game until NINE months after they sold the expansion to us.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

I got into beta for this was really interesting. Game play for me was good and i enjoyed the difference. However, i wont be pre-ordering as while i got beta it wasnt the finished product. FC has a bad record for when they release their games. So for me i will wait for a month or 3 after release to get it.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

To assume a future game will be bad because a previous one was, is ridiculous. You mean to tell me, even if reviews or positive forum feedback comes in you'll be..."nope, i'm not playing cause AoC stunk" ? Think about it, what you're saying now is going to seem pretty dumb in retrospect if the game turns out good.

With your reasoning...."heck no, i'm not gonna get a 2012 corvette ZO6 because their chevy vega was a lemon"

by that analogy your refering to TSW as the ZO6 and AoC as the vega? Have you lost your mind?

Let me refresh your memory a little. At AoC launch, the AoC dev team split in half, one team stayed to fix AoC, and the other went to work on a "NEW MMO". At the time that new MMO i didnt know the name, but now i think its safe to say that it was probably TSW.

So basically the people who made the first P.O.S are making the second P.O.S. Your getting another chevy vega, just a different color than the first. So enjoy your 2nd lemon.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by toddze

by that analogy your refering to TSW as the ZO6 and AoC as the vega? Have you lost your mind?

Let me refresh your memory a little. At AoC launch, the AoC dev team split in half, one team stayed to fix AoC, and the other went to work on a "NEW MMO". At the time that new MMO i didnt know the name, but now i think its safe to say that it was probably TSW.

So basically the people who made the first P.O.S are making the second P.O.S. Your getting another chevy vega, just a different color than the first. So enjoy your 2nd lemon.

I had an awesome time playing AoC. If you hadn't, then I feel sorry for you, but to me it was almost as good as playing EQ and CoX. If there are people from AoC involved that are working on TSW too, I see no problem with it, imo they launched the game too early but the game itself was one of the better MMO's, it provided good gaming fun to me.

That said, I'll judge TSW for its own pros and cons when I beta play it.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I am with you, but I actually like Funcom overall.  They have traditionally bad launches AO and AoC both followed by turning them into very good games, imo.

I am so hovering over that pre-order button but can't quite click it yet.  I have a few friends who already have though so it is likely I will too.  Just not sure I can get myself to buy any of the extras or not.

Take the leap of faith.

I'll give you hug if TSW fails 8)

Well that is better than a drinking cape and mammoth at least, hehe.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

As many have said already, I won't fall for another FC trap and pre-order TSW... Though I'd still like to get in some beta play time and see where it stands, then maybe I'll think about it...

• fiveodanofiveodano Member Posts: 15

ugh...I just did the pre order. I did not get into the other Funcom titles until they were playable so I don't have the sour taste many of you do. But everything I see in this game is exactly what I have been looking for in an MMO. Having said that, with the bad rep that FC has earned, I only ordered the base game. If this had been made by the people who brought us EVE or Rift, I would have gotten the lifetime sub. So I am cautiously optimistic. AO, AoC...maybe the third times the charm 

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42

I ordered AOC and was ripped off like many so never agaiin will i pre-order a product from Funcom.

I'll wait 3months plus like many here and see how it goes.

Plus i noticed on their pre order page i noticed they have a lifetime subscription option...for me thats a bad sign that they are expecting a short cashflow window on release and want to get as much as they can as quick as they can...i'll pass.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Anarchy Online = Alpha

Age of Conan = Beta

The Secret World = Release

Dont se the risk. It is going to be a good game

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

AoC had a bad launch but its one of the better MMOs out right now. And if they update and support TSW as much as they do AoC its gonna be fine.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Rollcage8

Not pre-ordering.

Too many signs point to a WoW clone in gameplay, with very little evidence around on the web as to how the actual game plays.

I'm also tired of the mentality of "lets sell the beta access period" No thanks, If they don't give me a free trial or an open beta then theres no chance I'm buying this one.

Hype won't see me your game, let me play it first.

WoW clone?...how do you come up with that because i just dont see it. This game and maybe Eve have few similarities other than they are both MMOs. Where are all the different races in TSW? I only see one. Where is the fantasy setting in TSW? TSW is a refrehing change from the tired fantasy themed MMO that has been beat to death thats been around longer than WoW.

As for the pre order to play beta, that is a trend that is becoming commonplace. Its a sound marketing strategy to start generating revenue sooner. As you know, it takes a crapton of cash to develop an MMO. I'm sure, from a business standpoint, you'd want to start recouping some of that outlay asap. I for one find it a great idea. It costs me no extra, as i'll have to buy it anyway to play on release. I can  count on playing in beta instead of sitting at my computer hoping i get invited.

I'd venture to guess 90% of a game's "beta testers" just want to play and could give a rats ass about giving feedback to the Devs.The same amount of feedback is recieved no matter how they got in. But hey, if you dont like it there are plenty of asian MMOs where you can jump right in their "beta"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by syntax42

I hope most people haven't so quickly forgotten the horrible flop of a launch for Age of Conan.  It started off the same way as The Secret World, with fairly little information or opinions being released before launch.  Because of the similarities and Funcom's history, I am very hesitant to pre-order TSW without hearing some "readiness" opinions from actual beta testers and not just press who get paid to hype a game.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

By the way, I am not suggesting a positive or negative image of the game.  I will probably play it, but I simply can't justify a pre-order until I know more about the predicted state of the game for launch.

Funny i remember AOC  being hyped up all over the place... but even with the issues AOC had it was still a great game..

I have really enojyed both of Funcoms MMOS so i have faith that this will be just as good..

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

I want to but I am not going to rush in this time.

Unless they dish out info and gameplay vids the way GW2 have done

I will wait and watch and then decide

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Funcom simply won't get more money from me. I played AoC for 3 years since launch and never did theyproved to me they knew what they were doing. Their patches broke as much as they fixed. Instead of fixing features they didn't bother they just took out the features that were broken. Raiding T3 became quite pointless for healers gearwise because Funcom didn't bother to upgrade the gear to Godslayer standards eventhough Godslayer came out only a few months after they released T3. So no heal rating on T3 gear meant healers couldn't get max benefits out of their AA's and were forced to gear grind Faction gear. In stead of making it an alternative as it should have been. 

Some say it's a great game now... well only if you like a massive gear grind, PvP never got any love since the game went live.

I fear Funcom simply doesnt get it and never will. 

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please pay attention to the stickied threads. There is a thread for Funcom discussion/complaints. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.