Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Camthylion

I haven't seen anything special... the graphics look Asian themed, the gameplay = nothing special.  I suspect in GW2 you create a character grind to max level then do epic quests.   I am not even planning on buying this game, it looks like the same shit I was playing 10 years ago.

Your lack of even basic knowledge about the game makes your declaration that you will not buy it both new and refreshing.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

There are things in this game that won't work for some people it's understandable. It happens. No one can please everyone in an mmo. Just won't happen.

The reasons i'm excited for this game are all functional all made for long hours of fun gameplay, all made to be easily updated, not only are the devs the type who care about their gameplay and players but they have some brilliant talent there that has crunched many a long hour fixing the problems late bloomers like me experienced playing other mmos.

So to me it's very much a win situation. Being a WoW player when i first stepped onto the scene and then leaving for a while. There were two things i liked early on in WoW that i never found in any other games not even the F2P ones. Taming pets, and engineering. This is the second reason i'm excited for GW2 because they have expanded on the idea of engineering into a whole full out class, not just a severely limited hobby, and they have included taming for the Ranger class (which can also be melee). Solved everything i was looking for right there in two classes. 

The game ui is phenominal too, gone will be the days of picking up twenty quests doing them all and then running back to the turnin spot. Love how Anet has proven that the antiquated monthly fee is only needed for greed and nothing more.

To me the whole game is something special.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by Camthylion

I haven't seen anything special... the graphics look Asian themed, the gameplay = nothing special.  I suspect in GW2 you create a character grind to max level then do epic quests.   I am not even planning on buying this game, it looks like the same shit I was playing 10 years ago.

Your lack of even basic knowledge about the game makes your declaration that you will not buy it both new and refreshing.

(reacting to Camthylion) o.O asian themed?? where?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Eir_S

Not really.  Despite a few concerns I have, it looks like the best attempt at making something deep and fulfilling in the MMO genre in years and I'm buying into it without question simply because of that.  If I'm disappointed, hey, I've spent as much money on games I beat in 2 weeks.  The value to me is off the charts.

Come on April 10th.

I second that.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

NOPE!  This game will rock.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Dinasty

Originally posted by Monorojo

Currently, I have seen all the information that has been offered on the winternet pertaining to beta.

Not a single thing seems even remotely interesting atm. I am banking on the fact that Anet is holding back some information or footage that will be revealed closer to launch to actually make me want to buy this game.

As of now however, I have no will to buy it whatsoever.

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

[Mod Edit]

to the op: nope. planning on prepurchasing. :)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I think guild wars 2 has quite a bit of "special" in it already.

Does it NEED more? Probably not.

Could it USE more?  Well I mean who wouldn't want MORE special? 

WvWvW is rather special.

The combat system and the way your character progresses, special.

Dynamic events and class combo abilities, those are rather special too.

All reasons I'll be buying GW2.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

GW2 is a good game. Whether it's a game for you or not that only you can decide.

Press has been rather too positive about the game and afraid to critize it because they might lose their beta priviliges.

Such massively hyped games should always come with a Play Before Paying stickers.

Then again who am I to say, I did grab a lifetime for TSW and I haven't even played it.

Everything I've seen about GW2 doesn't validate a pre-order especially since the release date isn't out yet :j

Structured PvP = Bleh

WvWvW = Meh

PvE = Cool

CS = Bleh

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Press has been rather too positive about the game and afraid to critize it because they might lose their beta priviliges.

apparently you've never heard of totalbisquit before or his history, he doesn't care if they ban him he's going to be accurate and give criticism where it's due. and he has made some about GW2 both to the developers and to the public.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

you have to have a very peculiar taste, or just hate MMO's and RPG's to see nothing in GW2. theyve revealed everything. i was blown away by the PVE, but im a PVP'er so i was waiting for the WvW reveal, which was mindblowing.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'll buy in when its 20 bucks. That's a special enough price tag to take the plunge :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I will wait a few weeks after it comes out and see how it shakes out before I buy.  I hardly buy any game new anymore I just do not see them as worth the price a lot of times.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

If you've done your research and still are not interested in the game, then the game is not for you.   Go look for another game that does cater to your tastes because I doubt anything A-net is going to reveal at this point is going to make it interesting for you.

Definitely this.

Seriously, if you have read all the information and still are not interested, just dont play?

There are plenty of other options for people that want a more traditional MMO with gear grind endgame or the holy trinity. TERA (traditional gear grind themepark MMO with action combat), TSW (no gear grind, skill based sandbox) and Archage (gear based sandbox) look very promising for their respective sub-genres.

Just pick one that suits your prefered playstyle.

Personally I am looking forward to action based PvP that doesnt rely on having a pocket healer to win, and a return to DAOC style open world combat.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I'll buy in when its 20 bucks. That's a special enough price tag to take the plunge :)

It will never be $20.00 so you'll be waiting for a very long time.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I'll wait until I'm bored to death of D3 to decide.  Hopefully the price is under $40 by the time I seriously consider it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Waiting no more!

I was able to fully pre-purchase the CE yesterday at GameStop, just need to go back on the 10th for my beta key and IT'S ON BABY! I am pleased... for

ANET FINALLY TOOK MAH MONEY!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Wont be buying this....

Originally posted by Caldrin

Wont be buying this....

Knowing that you'd probably have to face me in the Mists, I can't blame you.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Volkon

Waiting no more!

I was able to fully pre-purchase the CE yesterday at GameStop, just need to go back on the 10th for my beta key and IT'S ON BABY! I am pleased... for

ANET FINALLY TOOK MAH MONEY!

Yes i agree, they took mah CE money too!

OT: If yout not interested in the game at this point, you'll NEVER be. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Wont be buying this....

You and what army, I run with the "Zerg"  image

But seriously, I may take a pass, at least at first because the more I know about GW2, the more it doesn't seem like a title that caters to my tastes (which is fine, don't get angry) and I think I need to quit buying MMO's that aren't for me really.

There's lots of other options out there in 2012 so I won't be bored, that's for sure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by DannyGlover

It will never be $20.00 so you'll be waiting for a very long time.

No kidding. I understand if you have a paper route or you rake leaves for your grandmother to make money and it takes a long time to save. But come on! I figure it will be about 3 months till release. Set aside .67 cents a day (one soda price) and you will have enough by launch to pay for it. I know of no other form of entertainment  that can deliver this much entertainment for $60.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by cali59

Originally posted by Monorojo

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

(OP has) started 5 previous threads in the GW2 forum, titled...

"So can we call GW2 the ultimate care bear MMO?"  (locked)

"LF1M DPS ResurrectionOrb required"

"So what are the benefits of a Pay to Win game like GW2?" (locked)

"So if you love healing, avoid this game like the plague, right?"

and "So what exactly will keep people playing?"

And then you continue the trend by insulting the people who would have taken the time to give you a thoughful answer to your question.

I see no reason why anyone should give this thread any serious consideration whatsoever.

wow - context is everything

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Kyleran

I may take a pass, at least at first because the more I know about GW2, the more it doesn't seem like a title that caters to my tastes (which is fine, don't get angry) and I think I need to quit buying MMO's that aren't for me really.

There's lots of other options out there in 2012 so I won't be bored, that's for sure.

I'm an ANET fan but I agree with you - 2012 is looking like a good year for mmos

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Nadia

I may take a pass, at least at first because the more I know about GW2, the more it doesn't seem like a title that caters to my tastes (which is fine, don't get angry) and I think I need to quit buying MMO's that aren't for me really.

I'm an ANET fan but I agree with you - 2012 is looking like a good year for mmos

I'm not trying to change your decision, but if there was any title releasing in 2012 and you were to gamble $60, why wouldn't it be on this? Honestly, there is no subscription. Everything else that is releasing has a subscription that I know of and it is the same Box price. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting Tera and probably TSW (I have no life) but if I don't like them I have to do the subscription juggle of turning them on and off (not to mentiont the $$). I respect your decisions, just don't fully understand what you guys are looking at that would be better. I want in on it too!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Wont be buying this....

You and what army, I run with the "Zerg"  image

But seriously, I may take a pass, at least at first because the more I know about GW2, the more it doesn't seem like a title that caters to my tastes (which is fine, don't get angry) and I think I need to quit buying MMO's that aren't for me really.

Bah... the zerg shall feel the crushing might of my cannons and trebuchets! RAWR!

To be perfectly honest, this game won't be for everyone. There are those that will try to rush to the end and not know what to do without the gear-treadmill raids modern MMOs have become accustomed to for example. Some will be so ingrained with the idea of tank/heal/dps that GW2 combat won't really feel right to them. There are people that like the quest-giver concept where things happen at the pace they click rather than GW2's dynamic world kicking off events and not caring if you're there or not. It's to be expected... they'll never make a game that everyone wants, especially one without a subscription fee. But, I suspect there will be a great many that do enjoy it so I expect to have plenty of company and sincerely wish you luck finding the right game for your personal tastes.

Oderint, dum metuant.