Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you pa $50 a month for an MMO?

Comments

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Dense counter argument is dense.
    There's not going to be a MMO that can match the actual service I get from my cell phone plan. You might as well put in.. "I hope you don't get shoes once every year or two." "I hope you don't eat canned soup every day for lunch, that'd be nearly 30 dollars a month." "I hope you don't brush your teeth every day. That adds up."
    Look, it'd be idiotic to pay 50 bucks a month for a game that a normal person would play maybe 10 hours a week at a healthy level.

IT's not a dense counter argument.
    I have yet to play an mmo that gives me what I thought mmo's were going to be "about". I can easily envision the type of mmo I want/wanted but it seems that these developers fall short.
    If some developer created a boutique (to use a word set aside for specialty services/businesses) style game that was very full service, a lot of gm support, that gave one all of the features that people are looking for in a game but the game would cost $50.00 then one might consider it.
    I mean, Community boating in this area is $259.00 per year and the optimum time to use it would be spring and summer, maybe early fall. Daily fees for a golf club are $30.00 to $40.00 dollars and that's just one day. Not inlcuding club rentals if you need them. In light of many activities that require membership/entrance fees, $50.00 isn't really a lot. My Gym is $29.00 per month and I am supposed to be going 3 times a week. However, that oftentimes is only once or twice and it's only about a 2 hour workout max.
    It's not beyond the pale to imagine a boutique game developer that decides that most mmo's/all mmo's (?) just dont' go far enough.
    I certainly don't think they do.
    Will a game like this be made? Probably not. Are any of the current games worth $50.00 per month? nope.
    Is "my" phone service worth the $54.00 or so per month? not at all given how little I use the thing.

Gym member as well, 29.99 a month but there's a lot of perks with it.
    I go 1 hour 4 days a week with one of my weekend days being a max day and then one of the extra services. Like a boxing or MMA class.
    So?
    Can a game be as useful a utility as your phone? Little used or not? No.
    People trying to pick their vices as if it'd have the same value as something actually useful isn't a worthwhile comparison.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I go 1 hour 4 days a week with one of my weekend days being a max day and then one of the extra services. Like a boxing or MMA class.

So?

People trying to pick their vices as if it'd have the same value as something actually useful isn't a worthwhile comparison.

It might have those perks but if you dont' use them then they are pretty useless. A phone does have utility and I pay the 54.00 per month but paying a dime more, espeically for a smart phone seems like a waste of money for me. Some find it a "must have".

And how about the golf or the boating? Or if you have a horse, stabling it can be up to 800.00 per month. Obviiously that's an extreme example but it does go to show that people can and will pay a decent amount per month or per year for their hobbies.

Now again, there currently is no game that comes close to a $50.00 per month price tag. But if someone did decide to create a full service, constantly staffed game with many updates, huge customization options, open world, many events staffed by gm's, some sort of metagame options, with a huge amount of guild tools and perhaps even the options to create your own mini - events then I would very serioulsy consider payign $50.00 per month. It would probably be my only mmo but it would be a far greater value than pahying $15.00 per month for so-so value.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

So?

It might have those perks but if you dont' use them then they are pretty useless. A phone does have utility and I pay the 54.00 per month but paying a dime more, espeically for a smart phone seems like a waste of money for me. Some find it a "must have".
    And how about the golf or the boating? Or if you have a horse, stabling it can be up to 800.00 per month. Obviiously that's an extreme example but it does go to show that people can and will pay a decent amount per month or per year for their hobbies.
    Now again, there currently is no game that comes close to a $50.00 per month price tag. But if someone did decide to create a full service, constantly staffed game with many updates, huge customization options, open world, many events staffed by gm's, some sort of metagame options, with a huge amount of guild tools and perhaps even the options to create your own mini - events then I would very serioulsy consider payign $50.00 per month. It would probably be my only mmo but it would be a far greater value than pahying $15.00 per month for so-so value.

I think stabling a horse for 800 dollars would be equally as retarded. This might just be because I have 2 horses, grew up around horses, and you'd only see those type of fees charged towards; my whole argument; suckers.

And edited to point back to my originally contended point. Suckers are born every minute. You'd have to be a fool to pay 50 bucks a month for a MMORPG.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

For $50 a month that game better suck my --- *ahem* When we have holodecks a la Star Trek, we'll talk. Until then, no.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    For a truely premium experience..? Yes I would..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Xthos

Originally posted by Khole

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

So many suckers in this thread just begging to be fleeced.

Hell no.

I wouldn't pay $50 a month to play any game, mmo or otherwise.

Actually that's a great observation.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.

Look at him; some of us call him a scum sucking piece of crap. Others call him a genius.

I think he's both because he can find these suckers every minute.

Paying to track Call of Duty stats.............. How can I get in on fleecing these idiots?

I sure hope you don't have a cable, internet, or phone bill that is near $50/mo....If so, count yourself...I hope you never go to the movies (heck that can be $10-15, even without someone you are taking, for 90 minutes...)..

I bet a lot of people on here spend $50 a month on pizza, pop, coffee, energy drinks....etc...

If you don't, you don't, but the average person 'wastes' money on things, so if something was the best game ever, I think a lot would pay it, even if they want to kid themselves into thinking they wouldn't.

People pay $50/mo more on a phone, so they can play angry birds and other generic games, than they would pay for a basic phone without the bells and whistles...So next time you see someone glued to their phone, you keep telling yourself no one would ever pay $50 for entertainment....Not that you see many people glued to their phone...

When I see a game that offers me as much as my phone plan i'll pay 50 dollars. I haven't played a game yet that is worth even close to 50 dollars a month. Hell, most games released these days aren't worth 5 bucks a month. 

I agree, but that was the question, if you were offered a game that was that damn good, would you pay, people are acting like the OP said would you pay $50 a month for farmville....  I would pay, if it was that good.  No one is asking would you pay $50 for the same old trash that people are playing the free month on, then quitting.

There's not going to be a MMO that can match the actual service I get from my cell phone plan. You might as well put in.. "I hope you don't get shoes once every year or two." "I hope you don't eat canned soup every day for lunch, that'd be nearly 30 dollars a month." "I hope you don't brush your teeth every day. That adds up."

Look, it'd be idiotic to pay 50 bucks a month for a game that a normal person would play maybe 10 hours a week at a healthy level.

I was comparing 'luxury' item, which is valid, no one needs to play a game, people usually don't really need  a 'smart' phone...If someone played a game 10 hours a week, thats 40 hours a month, thats a little over $1 an hour...I use my phone a heck of a lot less than 10 hours a month...

Super duper cable plans that hit nearly $200/mo, phones that are $50-80/mo, going to the movies, can be $15 or more a person for one movie...Going out drinking for one night $50-100 or more....It is all entertainment...  Nice try though, with the circular logic though....If someone had to eat soup and not brush their teeth to pay for something, they got more problems than figuring out what entertainment is 'worth' it to them.

• bomber009bomber009 Member Posts: 21

Yes, but it would have to be everything I ever wanted in a game with little to no room for error.

Also it had better come with friends ;)

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

This is the cost of a cell phone bill without a data plan.

for a few dollars a month I can help a family in Africa. I guess I will have to play an inferior mmorpg, because I will not spend the money that's left after paying the necessary bills on myself. But even when I can afford both, I won't do it. So my answer is no, in my opinion no game is worth that amount of money! (nor a phonebill for that matter)

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

short answer: no

long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hell no.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.
    Look at him; some of us call him a scum sucking piece of crap. Others call him a genius.
    Paying to track Call of Duty stats.............. How can I get in on fleecing these idiots?

I sure hope you don't have a cable, internet, or phone bill that is near $50/mo....If so, count yourself...I hope you never go to the movies (heck that can be $10-15, even without someone you are taking, for 90 minutes...)..
    I bet a lot of people on here spend $50 a month on pizza, pop, coffee, energy drinks....etc...
    If you don't, you don't, but the average person 'wastes' money on things, so if something was the best game ever, I think a lot would pay it, even if they want to kid themselves into thinking they wouldn't.
    People pay $50/mo more on a phone, so they can play angry birds and other generic games, than they would pay for a basic phone without the bells and whistles...So next time you see someone glued to their phone, you keep telling yourself no one would ever pay $50 for entertainment....Not that you see many people glued to their phone...

When I see a game that offers me as much as my phone plan i'll pay 50 dollars. I haven't played a game yet that is worth even close to 50 dollars a month. Hell, most games released these days aren't worth 5 bucks a month. 

I agree, but that was the question, if you were offered a game that was that damn good, would you pay, people are acting like the OP said would you pay $50 a month for farmville....  I would pay, if it was that good.  No one is asking would you pay $50 for the same old trash that people are playing the free month on, then quitting.

I was comparing 'luxury' item, which is valid, no one needs to play a game, people usually don't really need  a 'smart' phone...If someone played a game 10 hours a week, thats 40 hours a month, thats a little over $1 an hour...I use my phone a heck of a lot less than 10 hours a month...
    Super duper cable plans that hit nearly $200/mo, phones that are $50-80/mo, going to the movies, can be $15 or more a person for one movie...Going out drinking for one night $50-100 or more....It is all entertainment...  Nice try though, with the circular logic though....If someone had to eat soup and not brush their teeth to pay for something, they got more problems than figuring out what entertainment is 'worth' it to them.

You'd still be a jack ass for paying 50 bucks a month to play a MMORPG by the requirements set in this thread. Comparisons to whatever else don't really apply is the point. Each experience is different and has varying worths to people.

Then there's a line drawn.

A 50 dollar a month MMORPG is right up there with the 10k dollar hot dog. A sane person should point and laugh.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

If the MMO were worth it, then of course I would!

People pay 50 bucks for a single player game that will only last a few weeks, they do this on a regular basis.  There's really nothing that off base for this.

• I totally would pay 50 a month for a good MMO with no cash shop and no expansion cash grabs. Just a pure virtual world that I don't feel like I'm being lead along by a rope the entire time. The last time I really felt like that was in pre-Age of Shadows Ultima Online, sure there were boring spots, but the fact that players actually wanted to interact with each other back then made it worth while.

Even world of warcraft feels a lot less like a large world and a lot more like hand holding then when it started. When it started you would get a kill quest, and actually need to explore the world and navigate based on land marks in the quest description, where as now a blue area is highlighted on the map where you need to run to for the quest. The rest of the world can safely be ignored as you stright line it to the highlighted blue area. I can't honestly blame Blizzard for this though, it was done to cater to the largest gaming audience which is more casual players who don't want to spend hours exploring a virtual world just to complete an objective.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Why not...?

I spend more than that a month on cigars, let-alone 1 round @ the pub with the fellas.

Obviously.. @ $50/month is a premium game. So mostly RPG'ers.. no children, no kali_kidz..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

So?

I think stabling a horse for 800 dollars would be equally as retarded. This might just be because I have 2 horses, grew up around horses, and you'd only see those type of fees charged towards; my whole argument; suckers.

And edited to point back to my originally contended point. Suckers are born every minute. You'd have to be a fool to pay 50 bucks a month for a MMORPG.

Well that really depends on where you live what kind of stable you rent the place from  and whats included in the prize tho.

I do tend to agree however 800$ only for the stable place is a bit high BUT add to that the cost of the coach the money for the horse trailer the gas costs for all the tournaments plus the fees to join them and 800$ is a joke.Not even mentioning the new saddle every once in a while that's another 1000$ easily.(if you are lucky)

Its the same with gaming some take there hobby's more serious than others and are willing to spend more for it there is no right or wrong in this debate just a matter of personal opinions.

Like i already stated earlier if this MMO would be so good that it would occupies all my gaming time i would even save a lot of money over a year.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

With the advent of F2P...good luck charging 50$ per SUB...LOL...this thread is funny.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

I would pay $50 a month for a mmo with these aspects:

1. A well populated gaming world.

2. A deep crafting system where all the good items are crafted items.

3. A very developed auction house with the ability to sell and buy through bidding both with real money and game currency.

4. A diverse world which is a mix of sandbox and quest system along with timed instances.

5. A faction system where guilds form separate factions and deep guild area housing and farming options.

6. A skill based PvP system with a separate part of the world offering open PK.

7. Good graphics and smooth gaming through moderately built PC’s.

8. A website feeding news about current achievements by game characters.

9. An auto group and an auto loot system with roll dice options.

10. The option of both pre-made characters with skill tree and hybrid characters with a mix of abilities to choose from.

11. Gathering, Fishing, Farming, Mining form an integral part of the game.

12. Different planets/areas for land grab for guild bases and guild housing.

13. Regular updates and bug fixes.

14. A forum where the member has all his / her characters and achievements listed at the bottom of his / her posts.

15. Title system generating from soloing high level Monsters and Bosses by low level characters.

16. Can make real low level powerful characters through enhancements and crafting.

17. Fashion changing with time and fashion items timed for a specific period of time.

18. Trading between players through private shops without going AFK and list of items for sale by different players can be searched through search engines and sold and bought from anywhere in the game world without any space limitations for the inventory.

19. The game revolving around buffing and player interaction.

20. Mounts, Space- Mounts, Teleport, Rides all made to reach different parts of game world in speed with mount race tracks and customization for the mounts to add to the game achievements. Flight Option.

21. Varied number of pets with different Hp and Mp along with freedom to choose the pet abilities.

22. Arena for pets where you bid on a pet and make money if the pet wins the fight compared to the other player pets.

23. Proper 1-1 arena for players and party arena with rich rewards.

24. Botting, Grinding, Repeating same instances eliminated through time lock or level caps.

25. Action system based on skill and strategy rather than just repeating skills or  macros.

26. A mix of very high difficulty levels and very easy difficulty levels to missions and quests thus eliminating time devoted to the game through better gaming.

27. A choice of instance and private dungeon difficulty levels.

28. Open dungeons for all the parties without PK.

29. Player migration from server to servers through level caps.

30. Not ip banned to any region but open to the entire real world.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Hell no.

Bobby Kotick is pleased.

You'd still be a jack ass for paying 50 bucks a month to play a MMORPG by the requirements set in this thread. Comparisons to whatever else don't really apply is the point. Each experience is different and has varying worths to people.

Then there's a line drawn.

A 50 dollar a month MMORPG is right up there with the 10k dollar hot dog. A sane person should point and laugh.

It is up to the individual, but yes, I would get more use out of the best MMO to ever be seen a month, than I would a smart phone, so you may think I am the jack ass for paying $50, and I would look at you and think, hey whats with the jack ass too, for paying that money for a phone...Then we both may look at some guy dropping $100 out drinking and both think he is the jack ass....  Then we all look at the guy buying the pole dancer a $50 big drink at a strip club and think the same....Thing is, if the entertainment is worth it to you, you will pay, and if someone made the best game EVER....I think it would be worth it to a lot of people...

I spend way more than $50 on luxury, entertainment, and convienience every month, so do most people I know...  I won't say its the smartest thing ever, but it's life....I work, make good money, and I buy and do what I want to do, that is within my means.  I have a feeling that once I am dead, new mmos are going to really suck.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Yes.

The game would have to be on its game in:

* Content (PVP and PVE)
    * Customer support
    * Community

For app. $1.66 a day on a typical 30 day month I would not feel bad at all provided it was a quality product. Thats about the cost of a soft drink at the gas station these days.

This kind of game would never exist in todays MMORPG world though. It would be impossible to create. You can already see on this post how, if everyone didnt feel like they were being personally catered to they would nerd rage in nano seconds. Catering to every players whims and trying to make everyone happy is the downfall of every MMO. Make a challenging, quality product with great customer support and a selectied player base to create a specific type of community.

50.00 a month for a closed game with a selective admittance process and the key factors I pointed out above?

Absolutely.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Nope, I wouldn't.

I think that the game to end all games, that makes everyone perfectly happy and satiates every little gaming need is an impossibility. If I paid that much a month for one game it'd have to make me never want to play another gane ever again, and I happen to like a bit of variety in my gaming life.

I'm not going to pay close to the equivalent cost of an SPG per month for an MMO.

I realise that some folks already almost do this, but every new MMO, play for the 'free' month and then head off to the next new shiny...but that's not my thing either.

I'm generally subbed to / playing 2 MMOs at a time, and have SPGs on the side for when I feel like something different. Spending $600 a year on a single game would be a touch beyond me.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

$50 per month or $600 per year. Hell no way.... $20 /mo is about my limit.

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by Suraknar

With the advent of F2P...good luck charging 50$ per SUB...LOL...this thread is funny.

If it was actually free to play they'd go bust, the term is a scam, the idea is they can get more money from you by selling you items in game then they can by charging a sub, end of story.

You're probably like, yeah but I just won't buy that shiny Sword of PaytoWin.... but, when everyone else is running around with it and you aren't, you gonna be like... well its only 5 dollars, .... so you buy it, then you notice everyones got an Orb of IPwn4FiveDollars and your like, well, its only 5 dollars.... ad Stupidium.

Theres no such thing as Free to Play.  

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Many people do: double, tripple and quattro accounts, websites, teamspeak and other servers.

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

Short answer.. no.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Yes. If it would keep my mind active all the time, if it would interest me that Heavy as from the start - tickling all my senses over the first month (and NOT having a vague feeling of this game is already at its end) then yes, I would pay 50stones per month.

Keep in mind, that you can sell people everything if the quality is that briliant that people will give the credit by their own, without any pressure that the game will not be available for them anymore if they do not pay.

A huge company could afford such a fee. But the amount of content that this would include would basicly mean: Every month a totally new game. And a totally new game in MMO-perspectives is such an incredible huge amount of content, that I think this is nearly impossible.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Yes. It would not be expensive compared to P2W games anyway. Of course it would also have to be a very good game.