Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why guys playing girls spook me off

Comments

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Here's the thing: I play whatever the heck I think looks fun or fits the character. My shaman in wow is female. Why? Male Draenei look ridiculous in anything but plate.My slayer in the Tera beta last week was an Elin. Was it because I have an unhealthy fascination with little girls? Nope, it's because I found the idea of a little girl with a sword 4x bigger than her hilarious. And the animations were cute and funny.

I've always loved the "I don't wanna state at a male character's ass all day" line. If you're looking at your character's butt, chances are you're not paying attention to something on screen you might want to. Like, you know...the entire friggin game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Terranah

Now that I reflect back on it, I think that like you Elikal, I have created characters that represented aspects of my personality.  To be honest, most of my mains have been male since Precu SWG, with the exception of APB which I also loved.

First off,  working in the healthcare field and having that natural, nurturing inclination, it doesn't seem to far a stretch to aknowledge that I might feel very comfortable playing a female avatar, since in our society females are often times considered to be more the nurturing gender.  Also, I was raised by women and work overwhelmingly with women, so again there is this comfort relating to the female gender.

Secondly, I am very creative.  I write short stories, poetry, draw, paint and sculpt.  I think for me personally, if I were to personify creativity and inspiration and give it a gender, it would be female.  But that is just my perception. Maybe this is a hard concept for people to related to though, not sure.

Thirdly, on a subconscious level I believe I may have a higher than average ability to empathize, as evidenced by the fact that when I dream, I often dream I am other people.  I will dream that I am different races, sometimes male, sometimes female.  Sometimes I dream that I live in other times.  I usually observe the dream from what I call God mode, watching the participants within the dream as events unfold, and then I become someone in the dream.  But that ability to empathize to such a degree I feel is also a femine trait or quality.  But again, perhaps this is just my prejudice.

So when I created my first and second mmo character in Precu SWG, it was very natural that I pick a female character even though I am male.  She represented my creative, adventurous and empathetic aspect, because I had grown tired of killing in fps and wanted to express another side of myself.  I had no intention of tricking people, getting free stuff, or acting out on some closeted gay fantasy.  I'm very straight.  I love women on every level, beyond even the physical.  There is no taboo against being gay in my psyche or my social circle and I would freely admit it if that were the case.  But I am hopelessly straight and am very happy.

My third character in PreCu SWG was a male.  I suppose he represented me in my totality  with my male personality traits more strongly personified.  But I started him out as a skinny little freckled red headed kid.  Creating him was like...giving birth to the real me.  My friends in my clan immediately adopted him and over the course of many months he grew (with the help of a master image designer) from an impetuous boy into a dutiful solider of the Empire, which happened to feel conflicted about his role in the war and was in love with a Rebel woman.  

From that point on I've almost exclusively played male characters, but I do like to make a female character now and again, and when I do people are usually convinced that I am a woman.  I'm a good actor, or maybe I'm not acting but just expressing that creative, nurturing, empathetic aspect that is my nature.  But no game since PreCu SWG has inspired my role playing instincts very strongly.  I feel very sad about this, but I need an open world to live and play in.  My creative mind is too big to be boxed in by some little sharded, theme park world.

Sorry this got so long, but I have no world to live in right now, just my imagination and sometimes forum boards.  I thought I would give a more thoughtful answer than usual and it got overlong.

Hm, interesting. I can kinda understand that, though I must say I have no connection to an "Inner female side". I doubt I even have one. ^^ But I can rationally understand what you say.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Terranah

Now that I reflect back on it, I think that like you Elikal, I have created characters that represented aspects of my personality.  To be honest, most of my mains have been male since Precu SWG, with the exception of APB which I also loved.

First off,  working in the healthcare field and having that natural, nurturing inclination, it doesn't seem to far a stretch to aknowledge that I might feel very comfortable playing a female avatar, since in our society females are often times considered to be more the nurturing gender.  Also, I was raised by women and work overwhelmingly with women, so again there is this comfort relating to the female gender.

Secondly, I am very creative.  I write short stories, poetry, draw, paint and sculpt.  I think for me personally, if I were to personify creativity and inspiration and give it a gender, it would be female.  But that is just my perception. Maybe this is a hard concept for people to related to though, not sure.

Thirdly, on a subconscious level I believe I may have a higher than average ability to empathize, as evidenced by the fact that when I dream, I often dream I am other people.  I will dream that I am different races, sometimes male, sometimes female.  Sometimes I dream that I live in other times.  I usually observe the dream from what I call God mode, watching the participants within the dream as events unfold, and then I become someone in the dream.  But that ability to empathize to such a degree I feel is also a femine trait or quality.  But again, perhaps this is just my prejudice.

So when I created my first and second mmo character in Precu SWG, it was very natural that I pick a female character even though I am male.  She represented my creative, adventurous and empathetic aspect, because I had grown tired of killing in fps and wanted to express another side of myself.  I had no intention of tricking people, getting free stuff, or acting out on some closeted gay fantasy.  I'm very straight.  I love women on every level, beyond even the physical.  There is no taboo against being gay in my psyche or my social circle and I would freely admit it if that were the case.  But I am hopelessly straight and am very happy.

My third character in PreCu SWG was a male.  I suppose he represented me in my totality  with my male personality traits more strongly personified.  But I started him out as a skinny little freckled red headed kid.  Creating him was like...giving birth to the real me.  My friends in my clan immediately adopted him and over the course of many months he grew (with the help of a master image designer) from an impetuous boy into a dutiful solider of the Empire, which happened to feel conflicted about his role in the war and was in love with a Rebel woman.  

From that point on I've almost exclusively played male characters, but I do like to make a female character now and again, and when I do people are usually convinced that I am a woman.  I'm a good actor, or maybe I'm not acting but just expressing that creative, nurturing, empathetic aspect that is my nature.  But no game since PreCu SWG has inspired my role playing instincts very strongly.  I feel very sad about this, but I need an open world to live and play in.  My creative mind is too big to be boxed in by some little sharded, theme park world.

Sorry this got so long, but I have no world to live in right now, just my imagination and sometimes forum boards.  I thought I would give a more thoughtful answer than usual and it got overlong.

Hm, interesting. I can kinda understand that, though I must say I have no connection to an "Inner female side". I doubt I even have one. ^^ But I can rationally understand what you say.

Thanks, Elikal :)

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by terrant
    Here's the thing: I play whatever the heck I think looks fun or fits the character. My shaman in wow is female. Why? Male Draenei look ridiculous in anything but plate.My slayer in the Tera beta last week was an Elin. Was it because I have an unhealthy fascination with little girls? Nope, it's because I found the idea of a little girl with a sword 4x bigger than her hilarious. And the animations were cute and funny.

I've always loved the "I don't wanna state at a male character's ass all day" line. If you're looking at your character's butt, chances are you're not paying attention to something on screen you might want to. Like, you know...the entire friggin game.

There are plenty of reasons to roll opposite genders.
    -Animation preferences.
    -Itemization preferences. My cloth toons are always female. It goes back to My Anarchy Online MA in wearing the pink Pepto-Dress. Now in new games, I can't stand Male mages in bathrobes.
    -Coming up with witty clever names 1st may only fit a particular gender.

-And then of course there are those who download hacked mesh skins and dance naked on mailboxes.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

You are not your virtual-self.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

The OP has some issues.  The assumption that anyone who creates an opposite sex character is doing it as an object of sexual desire could probably keep a therapist busy for a couple of years.  It has never even occured to me to do that, and I've created plenty of female characters.

It's like criticizing an author for writing female characters into his books.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by grimfall

The OP has some issues.  The assumption that anyone who creates an opposite sex character is doing it as an object of sexual desire could probably keep a therapist busy for a couple of years.  It has never even occured to me to do that, and I've created plenty of female characters.

I totally agree here. Don't mix sex and games together, there is nothing real there man. I just play whatever that looks nice, there is no sexual connotation involved whatsoever. Don't over think things like this, life is too complicated as it is.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

[mod edit]

My point is I didnt join the game to find out if your a real girl, guy or what ever.. Want to play the game together great! Other than that for me keep it to your self. For I DONT do this to others....

This is just text and not at ANYONE. This can of worms was opened not by me.

So relax let people play what they want and NOT worry about others. Its a GAME.. ignore those you dont like and PLAY.. its a GAME! lol .. drama drama drama....

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

First I have to say that for some reason "spook me off" just sounds odd. I know it's probably gramatically correct, maybe, but it is peculiar sounding.

I do not play Fem characters in SW:Tor or single player games that offer romances (NwN2, DA, DA2, ME series, etc). Call it odd but I have no interest in seeing girl on girl in game, and I don't have interest in playing a fem while romancing a male. Yes I can bypass the romance options but I enjoy experiencing/accomplishing as much as possible in game.

I do however play Fem characters in other MMO's, and I'll admit I generally have 2 fem to 1 male characters on my account(s). Just the way it's been... Why do I do it? Because it's not reality, I don't have to play my gender. Because overall, it seems players are more friendly to a fem avatar and willing to help. Just have to be honest.

• banditoabanditoa Member UncommonPosts: 13

i've picked the female characters in games when given the option for as long as i can remember. blaze in streets of rage, cammy in SF2, peach in mario 2, even in pokemon i played a girl. nowadays, i picked evie in vindictus, my character in rift is a dwarf girl, and my main two characters in lotro are a hobbit lass and a woman.

i did this as a kid because i liked to pick things that my friends, and my brother wouldn't pick. when i was a kid, you weren't allowed to have the same favorite character as someone else. it was the fucking rule. as anyone on the planet would guess, no young boy wants to pick the girl, so it was always a safe bet that i'd never have to argue over who gets to play my favorite characters. it kinda stuck with me over the years, so now i just play girls in every game by habit, unless there are dwarves available. bonus for female dwarves.

also i enjoyed the hell out of seducing alistair with my creepy-looking elf girl in dragon age.

• SuffurSuffur Member UncommonPosts: 24

Here is my simple thought process:

I create whatever I want to look at and whatever looks like it fits with my idea for the character. Be it male or female, doesnt matter.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Games are like stories.  I do not feel weird reading a story that is from a girls perspective.  Now if you are trying to convince others that IRL you are a girl when you are not that is different.  You might have some gender identity issues.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Does this forum ever have new threads ?

Why exactly do I have to justify what I play in the first place ? The game gives me the option, I like the option, so I choose it. You disagree ? Hu, too bad, but thats really exclusively your problem, not mine at all.

I dont have to justify why I play a mage and I dont have to justify why I play a darkelf. So why do I have to justify it if I consider it cooler if my darkelf mage is female ?!?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Adamantine

Why exactly do I have to justify what I play in the first place ? The game gives me the option, I like the option, so I choose it. You disagree ? Hu, too bad, but thats really exclusively your problem, not mine at all.

I dont have to justify why I play a mage and I dont have to justify why I play a darkelf. So why do I have to justify it if I consider it cooler if my darkelf mage is female ?!?

This whole subject is pretty much a necro post of a necro post its so old.. its been done to death so many times, and about the only thing thats come out of it is that there are some very fragile people out there who are clearly not in touch with their own sexuality to a degree they feel threatened by those who are. image

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Its just a bit of a mind **** for some people.  Like myself.  Always felt like a form of digital cross dressing to me.  Have I taken it far too seriously?  Yes I have.  Sorry about that. 

" Oh look, she's a looker!  Oh....you're a guy.  Eek.  "   I mean at least when there's a woman behind that....woman.....even if she's overweight and horrendous looking, there's a mind of a girl inside that girl.  When its the mind of a guy inside that female form I have to admit it ooks me out.   And yes, it does cause some level of confusion.  Not just for me,but for everyone and dont say it doesnt. 

Playing as a female how many times have you had to tell your fellow players, " Im a guy.  No really, Im a guy. " and everyone goes, " Oh....." and typically every new person you meet even though we all know thousands or millions of guys play as females, still thinks for some reason you are a real female sitting at her PC. 

And with the too few gals that play mmorpgs, this makes them nearly impossible to identify.  Unless you get to know them well, which I have, and even saw real life pictures of them, but then, are those really real?  You can never be sure.  Its maddening.   Voice chat helps tons in those cases.  But regardless, guys playing as chicks just seems awkward to everyone around them.  Oh your friends will get used to it.  AFTER the awkwardness wears off. 

And dont pretend for a minute that its never happened because you know it has, as you say you've played as a female.  Yea, there's a reason for those awkward reactions.

Err -- Necro thread ? This thread was started Mar 27 ... 8 days ago.

And my character choices have nothing to do with my sexuality. I simply create characters I LIKE. And I happen to like women. I also put a lot of other work into my characters, like finding a good name for them (always very important to me), make them cool looking (also very important to me, if a character isnt cool I just cant enjoy playing them) and trying to find the best skilling for them (I am a powergamer).

• ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27

Err -- Necro thread ? This thread was started Mar 27 ... 8 days ago.

Probably referring to the fact that it comes up every couple of months, the way popular topics tend to do on active forums with a big influx of new members :) 

To answer the OP myself: Unless there's something exclusive to male chars (such as romance options in ME / DA), I always play a female char in video games. 

Part of it is the eye-candy, part of it is the fact that I can connect better with a female char than a male one (and yes, I'm a dude), and part of it is habit started waaaaay back in my early teen years when any sort of boobies were like gold to my mind :D

Originally posted by Emrendil

I see my character as "me" in the game, so being a male and playing a female character feels weird :)

Yeah, that often applies to my "main" character. But I dont want to play myself all the time. That would be freaking super boring.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Phry

This whole subject is pretty much a necro post of a necro post its so old.. its been done to death so many times, and about the only thing thats come out of it is that there are some very fragile people out there who are clearly not in touch with their own sexuality to a degree they feel threatened by those who are. image

Has to do with being secure in their own sexuality huh?  Thats a bull theory and you know it. 

Reminds me of the time in College when I was in theater, we were prepping up for a show, and this guy I knew said he just loved putting on makeup and would wear it at home of he could.  I said, " Dude, thats a little weird but okay. " and his little girlfriend piped up and said, " Well he's just secure in his sexuality though. " to which I replied to her, " Sarah.....HE'S BISEXUAL, so yea, I guess I would agree with you.  I guess. "   She looked down, embarrassed, didnt say another word to defend her bisexual man, and the entire room laughed including her boyfriend. 

Secure in their sexuality my *** .   Im not saying the guys are bisexual that do this.  I get why they do it.  But yea, its weird.  Like I said in a few posts ago, any time a guy plays as a female it causes confusion.  Ive seen it time and time again.  It never ends.  Had a friend in EvE who played as a female (which matters far less than it does in most games) and every new person he met assumed he was a real life female.  Drove him nuts until he finally just started telling people he was 14 years old, female, and from California.   Hahahaha.  With hilarious results.  Since he couldnt beat the confusion he just intensified it. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Corehaven

Its just a bit of a mind **** for some people.  Like myself.  Always felt like a form of digital cross dressing to me.  Have I taken it far too seriously?  Yes I have.  Sorry about that. 

That's a bit like calling an author a crossdresser for creating characters of the opposite sex.  The author isn't their character, and players aren't their characters.

If I create a character in a fictional world, I want it to be interesting.  If I only ever created male characters, it'll be less interesting than occasionally making a female one.  Granted, I never really role-play the characters, so one could argue that I'm not creating a character unless it's a game like ME3 or ToR where part of the gameplay is making that character's decisions.

Either way, there's never any mixup where I consider the character to be me, regardless of my character's gender.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by seastarx

Originally posted by grimfall

I totally agree here. Don't mix sex and games together, there is nothing real there man. I just play whatever that looks nice, there is no sexual connotation involved whatsoever. Don't over think things like this, life is too complicated as it is.

I would disagree to a degree.

While I can agree that the OP needs to be a bit more open-minded, at the same time, a LOT of people who actually do have issues exist on the internet, and many of them use that anonimity to let those issues loose. The OP seems a little intollerent, but its just plain naive to think the things being described here dont exist.

Definitely not all, maybe not even most, but many for sure.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    What about transvestite males playing female characters? :p doesn't that make sense?
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

About 1/3 of my toons are female. I like making females characters, but I have to admit they are all dikes.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I once thought about rolling a female toon in WoW, just to see what it was like. But I thought I would probably just spend all my time looking at myself.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I find it a bit off. I dont know why. Never in my mmo life have I made a female. I do however have male friends that make femals toons exclusively. I wonder though, I never see women making male toons. Wonder why that is...