Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else bothered by the lack of... theme?

DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

So first off, I do know asain MMO's, after playing FFXI for 4 years, i'm deffinitly no noob to them. So I do understand that they do things a little diffrent.

Second, I do like the fact that this is semi-sandbox, I like options, and I do realize options are often abused and that is part of the big gulp that is a sandbox.

AND last but not least, I am a huge fan of Archeage and plan on buying it the second I possibly can..

BUT

....having said all of that. I don't really care for the fact that there is no realy uniform way of doing things in Archage. For instance, they are still using dark-aged catapults for seiges, but they have underwanter diving helmets that are clearley from the 1950's..  To me it just kinda throws off the whole world/feel.

And like the whole "tractor" planting thing.. its like, we use steam powered tractors for planting...but we still fight with swords?

Now stuff like gliders i'm not as bothered by, because I do realise this is a high-fantasy world and generaly speaking stuff like that is accepted, because they did have stuff like this, back in those time periods (or at least were discussing ideas like winged flying machines)

Anyways, just my opinion, and its not like this thread will change anything. But I was curous about other peoples opinions...

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

The genre is fantasy  and not historical and it isn't bound to any IP that i know of even to no eastern one.  In fantasy it is possible to combine swords with underwater helmets. Whats count is that the style is good to look at. For me personally even that doesnt count at all because in MMORPG's it is gameplay over looks anytime. 

The important part is to be able to dive underwater and do the underwanting planting, treasure hunting and i dont care if the helmet look like from the 50's or i eat a pill that make grow gills or some mage put a underwater breath spell on me. The option to just be able to do that is what counts and satisfy my fantasy.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The genre is fantasy  and not historical and it isn't bound to any IP that i know of even to no eastern one.  In fantasy it is possible to combine swords with underwater helmets. Whats count is that the style is good to look at. For me personally even that doesnt count at all because in MMORPG's it is gameplay over looks anytime. 

The important part is to be able to dive underwater and do the underwanting planting, treasure hunting and i dont care if the helmet look like from the 50's or i eat a pill that make grow gills or some mage put a underwater breath spell on me. The option to just be able to do that is what counts and satisfy my fantasy.

While I agree that this is fatasy game, generaly there are still rules as to which themes go togeather.

Not many people would accept a world of warcraft magic/sword early stoneage theme...but with spaceships. So I understand "there is no timeline" so they can do whatever....it just seems like alot of it conflicts.

I'm probably not wording this the best way either... I dunno I look at the game and I don't see a smooth world, the terrain looks great, the graphics are sharp, the sunsets and water effects are amazing... but when you start looking at the "man made" things in the game...it just looks so, busy. like there is crap everywhere and none of it really belongs.

But maybe I'm the only one that feels this way..

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

Not many people would accept a world of warcraft magic/sword early stoneage theme...but with spaceships. 

There are spaceships in wow! Draenei and Orcs are from space. I understand that sometimes mixing genres is a little weird, but with fantasy you get the freedom to make up whatever you want. If you were to take a magnifying glass to any fantasy you would see historical errors. The key is to just realize that these fantasy worlds are not real, and never existed in any period of time, therefor they can have what ever the developers want in them.

Originally posted by nateslo

Not many people would accept a world of warcraft magic/sword early stoneage theme...but with spaceships. 

There are spaceships in wow! Draenei and Orcs are from space. I understand that sometimes mixing genres is a little weird, but with fantasy you get the freedom to make up whatever you want. If you were to take a magnifying glass to any fantasy you would see historical errors. The key is to just realize that these fantasy worlds are not real, and never existed in any period of time, therefor they can have what ever the developers want in them.

yeah like I said I understand that. And I'm deffinitly not trying to be anal and take a magnifying glass to the game, But after watching the most recent Yogstcast it was kinda the last staw? so to speak.. but I deffinitly have noticed this many other times while watching vids of Archeage.

Like I said I am still very exited about the game. But I deffinitly don't get that "I'm in a created high fantasy world" feel... it feels to me more like I'm in Second Life.

(Anyone whos even seen second life knows what I mean, random stuff...everywhere. Its like a kids rooms, where mom never tells you to clean up)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Dewm

So first off, I do know asain MMO's, after playing FFXI for 4 years, i'm deffinitly no noob to them. So I do understand that they do things a little diffrent.

Second, I do like the fact that this is semi-sandbox, I like options, and I do realize options are often abused and that is part of the big gulp that is a sandbox.

AND last but not least, I am a huge fan of Archeage and plan on buying it the second I possibly can..

BUT

....having said all of that. I don't really care for the fact that there is no realy uniform way of doing things in Archage. For instance, they are still using dark-aged catapults for seiges, but they have underwanter diving helmets that are clearley from the 1950's..  To me it just kinda throws off the whole world/feel.

And like the whole "tractor" planting thing.. its like, we use steam powered tractors for planting...but we still fight with swords?

Now stuff like gliders i'm not as bothered by, because I do realise this is a high-fantasy world and generaly speaking stuff like that is accepted, because they did have stuff like this, back in those time periods (or at least were discussing ideas like winged flying machines)

Anyways, just my opinion, and its not like this thread will change anything. But I was curous about other peoples opinions...

I dont fully understand  where your coming from. "unifrom way"? you mean like 1 way? like all every run of the mil themepark? I prefer things not be uniform, i like creativity.

Theres seige cannans to go side by side with catapults. maybe the catapults are cheaper and easier to make. which would make sense why people would use them 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Ok a lot of fantasy has mixed time line technology, for intance Chain mail and Plate mail were never in the same time peroid, yet most people have no problem with them both being included in one single game.  Studded leather clearly replaced normal leather as the standard, yet a lot of games have both.

Asian MMO's are not "similar" to each other, development companies make simliar games to one another.

FFXI is made by Square enix, FFXI is essentially the same rule set as FF3 or 5 or Tactics, only its online.  Most of its elements are taken directly from other Final Fantasy games, and its style is completely different from say Lineage, or Lineage 2.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I understand what you're saying and I've also thought about it.

However, I'm willing to overlook my feelings about that issue because the game itself is pretty amazing considering the depth. This game is so far beyond anything we're seeing on the market today that it will take a lot more than that to keep me away from it. ArcheAge makes pretty much every other MMO on the market look silly with how much depth it has.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

While I agree that this is fatasy game, generaly there are still rules as to which themes go togeather.

Not many people would accept a world of warcraft magic/sword early stoneage theme...but with spaceships. So I understand "there is no timeline" so they can do whatever....it just seems like alot of it conflicts.

I'm probably not wording this the best way either... I dunno I look at the game and I don't see a smooth world, the terrain looks great, the graphics are sharp, the sunsets and water effects are amazing... but when you start looking at the "man made" things in the game...it just looks so, busy. like there is crap everywhere and none of it really belongs.

But maybe I'm the only one that feels this way..

Rules, in a fantasy game?  The limits are the limits of the imagination.  I can imagine this, why can't you?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Zekiah

However, I'm willing to overlook my feelings about that issue because the game itself is pretty amazing considering the depth. This game is so far beyond anything we're seeing on the market today that it will take a lot more than that to keep me away from it. ArcheAge makes pretty much every other MMO on the market look silly with how much depth it has.

Sums up my thoughts quite nicely, I look passed the combat even though I swore I wouldn't go back to tab target again. The game just sucks me in.

Originally posted by toddze

BUT

I dont fully understand  where your coming from. "unifrom way"? you mean like 1 way? like all every run of the mil themepark? I prefer things not be uniform, i like creativity.

Theres seige cannans to go side by side with catapults. maybe the catapults are cheaper and easier to make. which would make sense why people would use them 

Yeah sorry there Toddze, you missed what I was saying, with the "uniform way" (that and my missspelling) But I mean there is no theme.. (at least to me)

I mean, its not set in the dark ages... its not set in the modern ages, its not all of the buildings in a town look arab, or europian, or indian, or..whatever...

And I know its "fantasy" but I wouldn't care for a game that had 1979 Buicks, but you lived in straw huts and hunted with a lazer gun. So I think (at least in my opinion) most games need to settle on a tech timeline and then go with it.

Few exeptions would be like a starwars game, where you live in space with space fighters but there are the little teddy bear dudes who use catapults and sticks. I mean that is explained in the story line, and they live in diffrent worlds.. so it works. 

I just feel in AA it doesn't really "work"

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

BUT

I didnt even read past the first sentence. Final Fantasy 11 was made in Japan.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by Epicent

BUT

ummmmmmm..........

This is another time when a Blinking-eyed emoticon would come in handy.image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    You are misinformed and need to educate yourself, oh sorry, my mistake these aren't the GW2 forums and we can admit to imperfections, I agree it's one of the games minus points, I aim to try and ignore it as best I can when I play.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

BUT

ummmmmmm..........

Or maybe a continental world map emoticon
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Zekiah

Sums up my thoughts quite nicely, I look passed the combat even though I swore I wouldn't go back to tab target again. The game just sucks me in.

Yeah, that's another one I could do without but it's still not enough to make me look the other way. Even with a few things that bother me about the game, there's just simply nothing close in comparison. Nothing.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

BUT

I would actually agree with you. And to a certain extent is is a bit bothersome.

I realize that there are people who will tout the "It's fantasy therefore it's not real life" but I am also a huge believer in design and having a consistent design philosophy throughout a project.

And that could be any project, movie, art, music, etc.

There is a reason that great works oftentimes take one small idea and develop off that idea instead of just cramming as many ideas as they can into one work.

The "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy just doesn't work for me.

So yes, having a disco in this game is not what I call great in light that it's supposed to be some sort of fantasy world that seems to be a hodge podge of different time periods.

Now, havign said that, one must also look at the larger picture. For the most part, it's a "hey let's have fun with the materials that we find interesting and put them in a game/game world in such a way that it's sort of a nod and a wink to not take everything seriously.

This is one of the reasons I dont' find the highly sexualized "armor" in Tera to be an issue. Oh sure, I could start pointing out the million different reasons why it's just not armor, but that's not exactly the point of the developers presentation. what they are asking players to buy is the idea that it's all about a style and in this incarnation of reality that style just "works".

So, in archeage, regardless of different time periods one must realize that the entire game/game world is an anachronism.

That's right, it comes dowo to that five syllable word that ties it all together. It's all about being one giant anachromism that ties in disjunct materials and essentially says "it just works".

Whether or not we as players can get beyond our own tastes or preconceptions is another thing.

Personally it's an open world game and a sandbox/thempark so done and done.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

BUT

I would actually agree with you. And to a certain extent is is a bit bothersome.

I realize that there are people who will tout the "It's fantasy therefore it's not real life" but I am also a huge believer in design and having a consistent design philosophy throughout a project.

And that could be any project, movie, art, music, etc.

There is a reason that great works oftentimes take one small idea and develop off that idea instead of just cramming as many ideas as they can into one work.

The "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy just doesn't work for me.

So yes, having a disco in this game is not what I call great in light that it's supposed to be some sort of fantasy world that seems to be a hodge podge of different time periods.

Now, havign said that, one must also look at the larger picture. For the most part, it's a "hey let's have fun with the materials that we find interesting and put them in a game/game world in such a way that it's sort of a nod and a wink to not take everything seriously.

This is one of the reasons I dont' find the highly sexualized "armor" in Tera to be an issue. Oh sure, I could start pointing out the million different reasons why it's just not armor, but that's not exactly the point of the developers presentation. what they are asking players to buy is the idea that it's all about a style and in this incarnation of reality that style just "works".

So, in archeage, regardless of different time periods one must realize that the entire game/game world is an anachronism.

That's right, it comes dowo to that five syllable word that ties it all together. It's all about being one giant anachromism that ties in disjunct materials and essentially says "it just works".

Whether or not we as players can get beyond our own tastes or preconceptions is another thing.

Personally it's an open world game and a sandbox/thempark so done and done.

Well said, And like I stated in the OP this is mainly for disscution purposes. I will still buy the game (if it ever shows up in NA) and I will probably play it to death..

....But its something that I had noticed, and wondered if anyone else thought the same way..

BUT

... Japan is part of asia. 

AND japan is only a mer 500 miles from Korea (where the game is made)

That would be about a 2 day drive.. 

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

ummmmmmm..........

lol educate the poor guy though

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by Hedeon

ummmmmmm..........

lol educate the poor guy though

Was going to, but I wasn't sure I could do it............nicely.

You know what Mom always said.....................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

Some games can pull it off really well (like FFXIV).  Other games do it moderately okay (TERA), and then there are games like ArcheAge and Guild Wars 2, where the theme is VERY inconsistent.

ArcheAge should have stuck to its guns (or not as the case may be) and kept it fantasy, instead of butchering the genre.  I feel like they incorporated all these features badly, and decided at the last minute they were going to go steampunk.  It does feel pretty ridiculous how half the things are steam-powered and electrical and the other half not.  It makes no sense.

Guild Wars 2 is even worse though.   When you look at TERA and FFXIV, they have high-tech cultures too, but it all meshes well together and there doesnt really seem like a lot of conflict between high and low tech cultures.

I love ArcheAge, but OP is definitely right to voice concerns about this.  The devs really went overboard in this aspect.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

I 100% agree with you. I don't like the idea of having steam engines and underwater helmets either. If they can do that than surely they would have things like guns, bombs etc... pretty much things that would make swords, horses and other medeival aspects obsolete. It just doesn't make much sense. It is one of the things that really annoys me about WOW. You have guards walking around with swords and armour and then some other guy some where has a flying machine with bombs. Again, it is just silly.

I also agree though with gameplay over look and feel I just wish they would keep to the fantasy asepect. Rather than having a helmet to go underwater why not just have a potion that allows you to do it. Or if you want to fly  why not have a levitation spell that lets you do it. You can still do these cool things without having to bring in unrealistic non-medeival original fantasy elements.

Just my humble opinion.

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by alyosha17

ArcheAge should have stuck to its guns (or not as the case may be) and kept it fantasy, instead of butchering the genre.  I feel like they incorporated all these features badly, and decided at the last minute they were going to go steampunk.  It does feel pretty ridiculous how half the things are steam-powered and electrical and the other half not.  It makes no sense.

Steam? Electricity? Wut?

Game lore says machines are powered by Akium, which is one of the main things players farm on the third continent. Akium is pretty much the petroleum of ArcheAge world, having different forms and states, and it's used in many crafted items. (Heck you need a lot of akium logs to craft the "tank").

Aside from that they didn't suddenly  "change" theme. Akium powered machines have always been there. I think the mistake here is trying to "classify" the game into a "fantasy" or whatever else game. Why classify it? Just take for a custom fantasy genre with its own originality.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by alyosha17

Some games can pull it off really well (like FFXIV).  Other games do it moderately okay (TERA), and then there are games like ArcheAge and Guild Wars 2, where the theme is VERY inconsistent.

Guild Wars 2 is even worse though.   When you look at TERA and FFXIV, they have high-tech cultures too, but it all meshes well together and there doesnt really seem like a lot of conflict between high and low tech cultures.

I love ArcheAge, but OP is definitely right to voice concerns about this.  The devs really went overboard in this aspect.

The whole concept of steampunk/magic games is that half of it should work on steam while the other half aint. all books , all games using steampunk have somekind of fraction thats against the steam part and uses only magic, be it a "playable" fraction or a "npc"  fraction.

I would also like to remind people of REAL history,  there was a time we used cannons AND catapults, there was a time we used Guns AND Swords,  there was a time we couldd Dive using big heavy metal helmets and still used wooden ships, (those metal diving helmets are not 1950's  , they are more 1850's  :P )   and diving helemts have bin used since before diving bells, those apeared around 16th century.

1832 Netherlands

Diving bell and Helmet

AA takes it a bit further by mixing alot of 14th-18th century togetter as is normal in games, I find it strange that someone would complain about wraping up a few slow invention century's but seem having no problem whit ELF only games whit creatures and magic that never ever exsisted at all and is all compleetly made up and have no consistend background at all but what the writer of the game Made Up. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by nateslo

This is true, but even fantasy has to adhere to it's own internal logic... I get what the OP is saying tbh.

If you are gonna have advanced 50's tech mixed in with steam mixed in with swords then the fantasy needs to be clear about why that has happened. True, fantasy is limitless by definition, but to connect the gamer to that fantasy you need to avoid contradictions, or at least explain them in a way thats acceptable enough to not break their willing suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise the world just starts to look like a random pile of ideas that makes no sense, which will constantly jar your gamer out of the immerion you are surely trying to create in a game like this. In short, to buy into your world they have to believe in it.

Now, I don't know much about AA lore, so I make no judgements on the game, I am just making a general point.