Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Death Bounce [a poll]

PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

This is asked in the general context of gaming.

Video games of course, but can be applied to table top games as well if anyone plays with a kill happy GM.

Regardless; fps, rts, online backgammon, moabs, mmorpgs, whatever.

What's your threshold for dying? In-game of course, because we all know the limit IRL. ;)

For me personally first person shooters nearly drove me crazy because at a young age when I lost all my lives with Mario or Megaman I'd just move on to a new game and widdle away my free time in that manner. Then came along deathmatches, respawns, and spawn camping. Death in video games has became a trivial sort of part of the game.

League of Legends and Battlefield 3 have recently helped me get more used to the idea that it's okay to die in a game and keep going until the end. But still in a MMORPG one good wipe is enough to send me packing to the Witcher 2.

How about yourselves?

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

as far as FPS I'm more likely to blow my own self up (HL2) so the only one to be frustrated at would be me not other people or the game mechanics.

For other games, I've been known to drag my half dead body accross the finish line in many a quest/dungeon/run from area to area with full broken armour or full death penalty to stats whatever. I have quite a lot of patience in that regard and the more I die the more I want to finish the damn thing if only to say I did it.image

I wouldn't mind trying a game with a stronger death penalty ie perma death as long as it was implemented in such a way that it didn't happen every few minutes. I started out gaming without save features/hard drives and you die too often that's it you start all over. Perma death was a well known feature in early gaming. Arcade machines also, I used to be the queen of Ms Pac-Man image but it took me many deaths and a ton of quarters to get good at it.

As long as I thought the game itself was great I would be unlikely to give up the game because of the death penalty.

P.S. Have you seen game rage videos on youtube and the like? While I find them funny I've never suffered game rage like that when playing any game. I might get slightly pissed off but not quit in rage or quit forever.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by melangel
    as far as FPS I'm more likely to blow my own self up (HL2) so the only one to be frustrated at would be me not other people or the game mechanics.
    For other games, I've been known to drag my half dead body accross the finish line in many a quest/dungeon/run from area to area with full broken armour or full death penalty to stats whatever. I have quite a lot of patience in that regard and the more I die the more I want to finish the damn thing if only to say I did it.
    I wouldn't mind trying a game with a stronger death penalty ie perma death as long as it was implemented in such a way that it didn't happen every few minutes. I started out gaming without save features/hard drives and you die too often that's it you start all over. Perma death was a well known feature in early gaming. Arcade machines also, I used to be the queen of Ms Pac-Man but it took me many deaths and a ton of quarters to get good at it.
    As long as I thought the game itself was great I would be unlikely to give up the game because of the death penalty.
    P.S. Have you seen game rage videos on youtube and the like? While I find them funny I've never suffered game rage like that when playing any game. I might get slightly pissed off but not quit in rage or quit forever.

LoL Yeah, if I could have back half the 25 cents I dropped into arcades to see what was next.
    I'd like to say I don't really rage quit at these games. I sort of get this "I'm done" feeling and just move on to something else. LotRO has some pretty tough solo / small group content start up around lvl 30 that many sane people ignore until they're level 40 and just retro go back to complete. I'm not really a completion type player so I'll go recommended level, and if I lose just move on to more appropriate content.

This apparently is wrong. LoL

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by PukeBucket

LoL Yeah, if I could have back half the 25 cents I dropped into arcades to see what was next.

I'd like to say I don't really rage quit at these games. I sort of get this "I'm done" feeling and just move on to something else. LotRO has some pretty tough solo / small group content start up around lvl 30 that many sane people ignore until they're level 40 and just retro go back to complete. I'm not really a completion type player so I'll go recommended level, and if I lose just move on to more appropriate content.

This apparently is wrong. LoL

No way you aren't wrong :D I have been known to go toughen up (sometimes stupidly tough) and come back and kick the arse out of the game because I couldn't beat it at the right level. image And I'll usually only walk away from a game if I think in general it's pants and I'm not having any fun.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Death don't bother me in computer game, dying is like a second nature to them, but i still find it pretty much stupid in computer rpg, i prefer the table top death, i think your character should die.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

(other)  I try to avoid dying.  I don't mind a steep death penalty.  Death should be an annoyance, it's the penalty of failure.

No risk waters down the sense of satisfaction of having completed a difficult task.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

None of the above. After I've reached my death threshold either with the game or with a particular part of it I go to the boards and ask for advice. Usually it's something simple like switching attack type, waiting a few levels or kitting out my character differently.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

If I die a lot in a game, I'll probably get frustrated and put it down for a while...but I'll usually come back.  In fact, dying a lot usually makes me play longer because I see it as a challenge to overcome.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321
    If I die a lot in a game, I'll probably get frustrated and put it down for a while...but I'll usually come back.  In fact, dying a lot usually makes me play longer because I see it as a challenge to overcome.

Yeah, I try to explain that phenomina to some people. Ninja Gaiden (original Xbox one) and Dark Souls gave me that feeling. Now after two or three deaths I'd go on to a new game as per my usual style, but I was always compelled to return to those harder titles to progress. Probably took me 14 months to beat Dark Souls, but it's one of those fond memory titles.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I prefer a heavier death penalty on average- it serves to make me a better player by forcing me to think more about situations before just jumping in, it tends to make it much easier to find groups because the threat of death is lessened, and by endgame I've found that more players know their classes to a higher degree than in games with negligible penalties.

I'm content to take my lumps along the way so long that I have higher quality folks to group with.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

My prefered death style for MMO is what Everquest 1 had, drop all items and loose some XP which you had to loot you items back and you can get rezzed for a % of your xpback.

Diablo style games - I like the PoE style for hardcore for that when you die in hardcore you go to normal core and loose the benefit for being in hardcore which was increased XP gain, it also has 2 more harder sytles which wasnt in the beta. I also wouldnt mind seeing perma death in games aswell but has it as an option to enable or not to.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

I always remain in game no matter how many times I die

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

It depends really.  If I was playing the game for 8 hours then I die and forget that I have never saved since I started, Im friggin switching and going back to it after a few days or something.

Now if the death penalty is just simple for example umm..waiting a few seconds to respawn or starting at the beginning of the stage like megaman then Ill go on for  few times then I give up if I really cant get passed and jsut try it again later.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Castillle

It depends really.  If I was playing the game for 8 hours then I die and forget that I have never saved since I started, Im friggin switching and going back to it after a few days or something.

Now if the death penalty is just simple for example umm..waiting a few seconds to respawn or starting at the beginning of the stage like megaman then Ill go on for  few times then I give up if I really cant get passed and jsut try it again later.

^Pretty much this to a tee.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by cheachan

Im the same no quiter. This can sometimes give problems hehe.

I tend to play untill i manage to beat it so long nights untill early morning can happen:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Loss of armor/swords no thanks, I don't have the time to invest in trying to get the elite stuff then lose it 5mins later from death.  Inventory loot?  Yes I am okay with that and some form of death shroud.

I think the death penalty I hate the most is when it's my own fault. Like the ol' Daggerfall / Morrowind days when I didn't f5 regularly and didn't realize there'd be 3 casting lizards in a room instead of just 2. That'd be after a good 2 and a half hours of game play. That's a downer.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by cheachan

Im the same no quiter. This can sometimes give problems hehe.

I tend to play untill i manage to beat it so long nights untill early morning can happen:)

Very true. I tend to play til I win it, except that I finish it earlier, like in the wee hours XD unless I get scolded T.T;