Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Verdict on the Fourth Pillar

12346»

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by Elikal

I wasn't that impressed tbh. I mean I liked the personal story and the decisions a lot. Really. But overall, it was 1-2 single player stories and then it was game over for me. I had fun with those 2 stories, Jedi Knight and Sith Inq., but I didn't feel I wanted to spent time beyond that in SWTOR, and story didn't make me stay. It was good, it was nice, but it just wasn't a MMO I experienced.

And while I liked the story much, I know I can live quite well without VO and choices, if the next MMO has other things I like.

Personal note. I hope Bioware never makes another MMO. But that's just how I feel.

The real shame of it all is that they made a boring and crappy game using the SW IP. If they wanted to screw something up they should have used their own IP and made a ME game instead.

Dont go there.

Koster launched a buggy, no content having, POS title in SWG. Regardless if you like TOR or not, we arent crashing to desktop constantly, and there are things for everythintg to do.

SWG was the most expensive MMO made at the time, and it was an epic failure. When they have totally revamped TOR twice, then come talk to us.

I didn't mention SWG anywhere in this particular post now did i. TOR is crappy all on it's own. But since you mentioned it, even though SWG was ruined by the NGE it still lasted for 8 yrs. with a sub fee. I"ll bet my house that TOR doesn't make it 2 yrs. tops. It's bleeding subs out so bad and not adding any back in from what i can see, as well as the monumental amount of just bad views and reviews of the game, it's not gonna last long. You can go to any game site and the official site for that matter and people are clamoring for Bioware to add in open world planets and all these sandbox elements. It doesn't take much to see that TOR is not an mmorpg and will not keep people playing for yrs and yrs. Subs will keep trickling down and TOR will be the scapegoat for Bioware to use for what they did wrong and what they learned as they try and hype their ME mmo.

Without SOE All Access to keep it afloat, it would of been gone long before that. Same with MxO.

You talk about "only SW MMO"....I was in that boat for many yrs.  Maybe in 8 or 10 yrs your side of the coin will get another go round. You guys had your SW MMO, and now you begrudge others. Priceless.

As far as SWG, it is beyond old listening to you sandboxers carry on about TOR, especially when SWG had an unreal amount of money dumped into it at the time, and yet couldnt be bothered to give us good PVE content. We wont even go into bugs, and how much missing at launch etc.

That is why it was brought up. TOR is in a hell of a lot better shape than SWG was at launch.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by ignore_me

You had a SW sandbox, it tanked liked a mofo, and it was shut down. If you wanna blame someone, blame yourselves. Rather than 2 or 3 subs, if you wanted it so bad, then you should of carried 5 or more each.  Folks did everything they could to badmouth SWG into the grave after NGE, and now they bitch cause it is gone. I mean you cant make this stuff up.

This is really good, AAA quality oversimplification.

SWG would still be live if the IP didn't have an expensive license, and if it wasn't nearly 8 years old. At some point you trade in the old car for a new one even if the old car was a great car. Problem is that the new car turned out to be a piece of crap marketed aggressively, and overhyped with innuendo suggesting more than was delivered. This was done mainly through omission and secrecy, not active message control or distortions. SO it's not a matter of they told me what to expect, but more like they let the train go nuts without thinking about how the hype trajectory would end.

As for the sandbox hating, I'm not buying it anymore. It's a false dichotomy. 'Them lousy sandboxers' sounds like old man ranting. These are design features, not political ideologies for fuck's sake.

I am happy for you that you like the game though. And I mean that because I remember what it was like.

I am talking about the entirety of SWG's run. There werent enough subs to keep SOE happy during any era. That thread the other day about "would you pay 50 per month for a game" comes to mind.  With 500k subs, SOE wouldnt of touched SWG. That would of given it more than EQ(at 450k), which was top dog until WoW hit.

As far as "them lousy sandboxers", I would say you like to project. This side of the fence doesnt try to correlate a persons IQ, nor motivation in life, or whatever unrelated idea into others game choices.  Instead I have always said sandboxes appeal to those that enjoy PnP, and PVP. If you cant see the difference, I dont know what to tell ya.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

You had a SW sandbox, it tanked liked a mofo, and it was shut down. If you wanna blame someone, blame yourselves. Rather than 2 or 3 subs, if you wanted it so bad, then you should of carried 5 or more each.  Folks did everything they could to badmouth SWG into the grave after NGE, and now they bitch cause it is gone. I mean you cant make this stuff up.

SWG would still be live if the IP didn't have an expensive license, and if it wasn't nearly 8 years old. At some point you trade in the old car for a new one even if the old car was a great car. Problem is that the new car turned out to be a piece of crap marketed aggressively, and overhyped with innuendo suggesting more than was delivered. This was done mainly through omission and secrecy, not active message control or distortions. SO it's not a matter of they told me what to expect, but more like they let the train go nuts without thinking about how the hype trajectory would end.

As for the sandbox hating, I'm not buying it anymore. It's a false dichotomy. 'Them lousy sandboxers' sounds like old man ranting. These are design features, not political ideologies for fuck's sake.

I am happy for you that you like the game though. And I mean that because I remember what it was like.

I am talking about the entirety of SWG's run. There werent enough subs to keep SOE happy during any era. That thread the other day about "would you pay 50 per month for a game" comes to mind.  With 500k subs, SOE wouldnt of touched SWG. That would of given it more than EQ(at 450k), which was top dog until WoW hit.

As far as "them lousy sandboxers", I would say you like to project. This side of the fence doesnt try to correlate a persons IQ, nor motivation in life, or whatever unrelated idea into others game choices.  Instead I have always said sandboxes appeal to those that enjoy PnP, and PVP. If you cant see the difference, I dont know what to tell ya.

Have a good one man :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• I read through some of the comments from people which were pretty negative. I am playing the game with my son and thoroughly enjoying it. I like the dialogue options and it's great fun to roll against each other to see how it will turn out.  For me following the story is one of the strongest parts of the game.  I actually wish I could save or replay some of the more epic story related encounters.  (Not really interested in watching someone else's toon on youtube)

• OlindraskeOlindraske Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by beel

I read through some of the comments from people which were pretty negative. I am playing the game with my son and thoroughly enjoying it. I like the dialogue options and it's great fun to roll against each other to see how it will turn out.  For me following the story is one of the strongest parts of the game.  I actually wish I could save or replay some of the more epic story related encounters.  (Not really interested in watching someone else's toon on youtube)

That really is kind of the point. I have read several people in this post call SWTOR a great PVE, single player game with MMO capabilities which in my opinion is spot on. There is a nice story but after you grind up all your characters to 50, what? there is no community based game play, no player villages or cities, crafting is pointless.... space is well... (x-wing vs tie fighter was more impressive save for graphics). In all bioware made a very foolish endevour choosing to take on their first MMO with the marketing title of Star Wars. The expectations were very high and now we are left with KOTOR you can play with friends but not an MMO. There is no endgame, no originality between appearances of players, their rides, their ships, ect.

Overall, nice single player KOTOR I can play with my kid but NOT an MMO.

• OlindraskeOlindraske Member Posts: 2

Have a good one man :)

SWG had many bugs, glitches ect... but it was an excellent real MMO. Player based cities and crafting that were unmatched. A decent storyline and things to keep you and your guild mates entertained.

It was far from perfect but had some of the Pre-CU crowd stuck around they would have seen that it had gotten better and by games end was a very well balanced  and fun game to play.

After 8 years though the game engine needed work and the population was not high enough for SOE to maintain the agreement. Lucas also had stated several times that he would not allow multiple Star Wars titles to compete against each other. Hence the death of SWG for something new. The problem is the something new is nice and shiny but lacks any horse power.

SWTOR is a nice single player game with multiplay capabilities but it is NOT a good MMO.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Nero is fiddling while Rome burns.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

More paid drivel, oh joy. Just what we needed.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

This is exactly what i was talking about, some 3 months ago. You CANT play the story for years. End of.  Having a story is nice, but i wont resub for 6 months waiting for new story pieces to come out. :/

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    MikeB you already listed this game as your 10th favorite Star Wars game of all time.

Which just in itself proves that you've no idea what a good Star Wars game even is.

And there are only 8 SW games :D
    for real?  i'm not arguing, just trying to actually count.. let's see...

Rebel Assault
    Rebel Assault 2
    Rebellion
    Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight 2
    KOTOR
    KOTOR2
    SWG
    X-Wing
    Tie-Fighter
    X vs TF
    TOR
    The Force Unleashed
    The Force Unleashed 2
    uhm..there was another RTS one that i forget the name of... i think there are definitely more than 8 PC ones... 

i probably missed a few...

Then it's the 16+a few+2th best SW game ever made. :D

To be fair, the poster did say Star Wars games of all time.
    This would include board games, electronic hand held games, console video games, coin-op arcade games, even the Table Top RPG.

• CeleberegCelebereg Member Posts: 38

The 4th Pillar is Fail

Been playing since early testing, and now I space thru all dialogue.  Why?

It's flat.  It's one-dimensional.  Other than the class story (even then) its completely flat.  Why?

Because Star Wars or any story is an ensemble cast, (Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, Jaina, Allana, etc. etc.) the interaction of the protagonist with other characters that share the journey, and charm. 

Not in SWTOR.  In SWTOR, its an avatar moving from one stranger to another, to get the next task and a bonus to kill 15-50 mobs for extra credit.  One stranger, another stranger, it all blurs together and there's no ensemble.

The crew barely has any lines, and is a real missed opportunity.  They should have taken half the generic quests and just issued them out of the already in existence SWTOR Mission Terminals, and used the extra development time to significantly increase crew interaction during quest dialogues, and during rare companion quests.

As it is, its so dry, so boring, so flat, its like reading the worst of the Conan the Barbarian books, where he just wanders around with no supporting casts.

1.5 of 10 Points

• MellybellyMellybelly Member Posts: 9

Firstly... I'd really like to point out my amusement. I've been lurking on this website for years. Every. Single. MMORPG. Even World of Warcraft. Gets chewed by 90% of comments. On any given article. It really completely invalidates the opinions and it's a sad fact because some peoples opinions, including critque, are very valid. But I find myself scrolling to the bottom or never posting.

To answer the question: I can't get enough the story. I love it. I also find the SWTOR is far more condusive and friendly to roleplayers. I have noticed the larger portion of traditional hardcore gamers, the ones that want the best stats, the best gear, the best score, etc are the ones that primarily dislike the game (from experience in-game). Though I'd say BW were prepared for that when focusing on story. I think largely they were attempting to pull in their SP fanbases - especially from the cult-classic KOTOR - into an MMO environment. On my part? It worked a charm. I didn't start subscribed after a month. Then I resubbed 3 weeks ago. So of the say 3 or 4 months it's been out. I'm missing a month, maybe a month and a half. With eight individual storylines to play through and the usual standard raid faire I find the game is well worth while when compared to the classics like WoW or Rift.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Mellybelly

Firstly... I'd really like to point out my amusement. I've been lurking on this website for years. Every. Single. MMORPG. Even World of Warcraft. Gets chewed by 90% of comments. On any given article. It really completely invalidates the opinions and it's a sad fact because some peoples opinions, including critque, are very valid. But I find myself scrolling to the bottom or never posting.

To answer the question: I can't get enough the story. I love it. I also find the SWTOR is far more condusive and friendly to roleplayers. I have noticed the larger portion of traditional hardcore gamers, the ones that want the best stats, the best gear, the best score, etc are the ones that primarily dislike the game (from experience in-game). Though I'd say BW were prepared for that when focusing on story. I think largely they were attempting to pull in their SP fanbases - especially from the cult-classic KOTOR - into an MMO environment. On my part? It worked a charm. I didn't start subscribed after a month. Then I resubbed 3 weeks ago. So of the say 3 or 4 months it's been out. I'm missing a month, maybe a month and a half. With eight individual storylines to play through and the usual standard raid faire I find the game is well worth while when compared to the classics like WoW or Rift.

Fair enough, but what is your highest level character?

Most people love this game till they get in their 30s and up. Some make it to 50 and then quit. Will story be enough for you then? 

I loved the first 30 days. I loved the stories (on the empire side). I really wanted to get into the Republic stories because they were under-represented on my server, but they just weren't as engaging at all, to me.

How far along are you in SWTOR?

• phatleetphatleet Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Mellybelly

Well as you can see from my post count I'm a lurker too XD. 

I'm a rpg fan and avid mmo player, I've been playing them long before I got pubes XD. 

Since the day I found about SWTOR I became a fan (2008) I even pre-ordered.

But then I played the game.....

I won't dive much in all the things that I disliked I my short time there (lvl 13, and still got 1 month of game time).

But  take it from a guy that even likes to read all the books IN skyrim...The story is bland  and personally I don't see what's

all the fuzz with the voice'd over cutscenes, since they all are fugleh. Recicled movements ad nauseum, Boring

conversations and answers I didn't feel related to at all, I started hitting space @ lvl 5 =S.

But now that I re-read your post I can see why you like it, You are in love with SWTOR the single player game, And I dislike

SWTOR the "mmo"

It's like KOTOR with minigames (pvp,flashpoints etc.).

I wanted to go on and make a list of the things I dislike about it but I got bored, sorry =P.

One last thing you should know by now that comparing any games, and specially "classics" will get you some good ol'

flaming... (The troll inside me was like "HELLZ TO TEH NO, HE AINT GONNA COMPARE MAH RIFT WITH THAT STEAMY

PILE OF...." then I calmed down XD).

Oh oh, and what about that guy with the wiki game list??? He wants to "educate" us XDDD.

Like knowing the names and dates of all sw games is being well educated XDDD.

In all cases that could "educate"  me how to acces wikipedia and copy/paste...

I lol'd soo hard XD.

Peace buddies!

Edit: cause I'm dumb and sleepy.