Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was it just misinformation?

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by colddog04

I can tell this thread is just going to end up making SWTOR look really bad in the "lively areas" department instead of detracting from what Guild Wars 2 was able to accomplish in the same department.

I keep looking at various videos and it does seem like Arena Net spent a lot more time fleshing out the city ambiance, NPC movement, NPC interaction and just a general city feel.

Exactly since Anet is making a non subscription model, they have to remain more honest in their approach to the gameplay and address problems more quickly. I think with their Devs experience in Blizzard and their experience with mmo's in general this being their second game and all they've actually learned from gaming history on what not to do. We can expect honestly a great experience.

SWTOR had the fastest patches and fixes, and the most content added the fastest out of any MMO ever.

If this isn't true, please prove me wrong.

Rift. nuff said

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by cali59

Originally posted by Volkon

Well, give us something else to go by then. Post a video of the lively areas, with NPC activitiy and chatter. Show us once and for all that that's simply a misconception with SWTOR... the whole static, dead-world aspect is simply taken out of context. Simple enough to prove yourself correct on this.

Here is two NPC's talking to each other, in the starter area of Nal Hutta.

Hmm seems like a conversation, it took me 2 seconds to find that with google...

Are you guys saying you can't google this yourselves?

Perhaps you don't understand how arguments work.  We don't make your case for you.  We provide GW2 evidence, you provide SWTOR evidence.

Where is the GW2 conversations?

I dont' see any posted in any of these threads.

Please provide sources, I cannot google myself. I'm too lazy.

BTW I'm planning on buying GW2, so don't try and "put me" in a category, I'm on the side of an honest debate, that doesn't attack the person it discusses the topic.

Thats my agenda, always.

The Divinities Reach tour... close your eyes and listen. The conversations, the background noise, it's all in there. Dogs barking, kids laughing. People chatting. Beggars asking for a few coins, a lady trying to make a living. Just listen. You have the link already.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I can tell this thread is just going to end up making SWTOR look really bad in the "lively areas" department instead of detracting from what Guild Wars 2 was able to accomplish in the same department.

I keep looking at various videos and it does seem like Arena Net spent a lot more time fleshing out the city ambiance, NPC movement, NPC interaction and just a general city feel.

Exactly since Anet is making a non subscription model, they have to remain more honest in their approach to the gameplay and address problems more quickly. I think with their Devs experience in Blizzard and their experience with mmo's in general this being their second game and all they've actually learned from gaming history on what not to do. We can expect honestly a great experience.

SWTOR had the fastest patches and fixes, and the most content added the fastest out of any MMO ever.

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-rift-news/patch-notes/

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

The difference i'm seeing between the too is night and day. 

In SWTOR they have children skipping, people walking having conversations that you can actually hear and understand that aren't just random they are either clues about events in the area or they are bits of lore to flesh out the world, there is ambient noises all around, you can interact with almost all of the npcs (i haven't personally seen them all be clicked on 100%) it FEELS alive.

When i played GW2 it felt like a backdrop. A painting that didn't have life but was imitating it.

see what i did there?  Yep I can make claims that aren't backed up with any evidence too!

Edit: If you think people quit because NPC's weren't talking or skipping, you are sadly very mistaken.

WE WANT CONTENT!  Not meaningless idle chatter, thats already in the game.

Actually no there were pleanty of complaints about the lack of ambience from the RP and pve crowd just because you didn't want to include those types of players in this community doesn't make their claims any less valid nor does it make their complaints any less true. Content includes a living breathing world to the best of the programming and technology available just because you don't care about that part of a game doesn't matter it's everyone's experience with a game that gives it an overall good or bad feel.

Yep, you are right, I didn't want to include RPers or PVEers, except I am one.

Stop making personal attacks and judgements on posters, debate the topic, not the person.  Please follow forum rules, thank  you.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Well, give us something else to go by then. Post a video of the lively areas, with NPC activitiy and chatter. Show us once and for all that that's simply a misconception with SWTOR... the whole static, dead-world aspect is simply taken out of context. Simple enough to prove yourself correct on this.

Heh... that was hilarious! The little guy is in a short loop, the big guy just standing there with sound being played over it not even remotely synched to the characters. Amazing all they can say without moving their lips at all. Well... the big guy was easy... Yep. No.

Ah, so you don't like the quality of the content, but you must admit, its there.

And again, if you cannot be bothered to do your own googling, then perhaps you shouldn't bother commenting either :-D

Yes, you found one, on a 22 second loop. Grats. The Divinities Reach tour beat that in the first 22 seconds just randomly.

The funniest ones are those stuck in a never ending action pose
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I think it would make more sense, since you made the statement, to provide proof of what you stated.

Also, does that mean that SWTOR required the most fixes?

I also have to wonder what your statement has to do with the topic or even what it has to do with the post you quoted. Since we have no clue about how much content or patches ArenaNet is going to put out post launch (not to mention whether or not they will need them), there is no way of comparing the two games when it comes to post launch content/patches.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Funny how i found this just as fast. There are five total videos showing the lack of ambience. I experienced this both here in the starter areas AND in the major cities i went to on the max level toons. I suppose you are going to tell me that this guy's evidence has been tampered with in some way because that's usually the next argument by people who can't handle the truth.

OP posted that in HIS favor, then you post it as an arguement against?

um... have you been reading this thread?

yep and i've already made a post to answer his concerns with evidence. did you even read the entire thread? yeah didn't think so. k.thx.bye

Originally posted by evilastro

VS THIS

3 months (SWTOR)

Vs a year and two months (RIFT)

Seems about the same pace, if not faster.

Yes, you found one, on a 22 second loop. Grats. The Divinities Reach tour beat that in the first 22 seconds just randomly.

Yeah, I found one in .2 seconds of searching.

It was SOO HARD because of how rare NPC conversations are in the game.

Rather than target one chat, find me a vid where they walk around the city and you hear the chatter around you like the Divinities Reach one does. I did look. YouTubed SWTOR Cities. Watched the walkthroughs of a few. Every one... quiet, dead. Almost... sterile? Yeah... sterile. Apparently your mastery of the Googles is greater than this young padawan, so help me Laughing Man, you're my only hope.

Oderint, dum metuant.

I think it would make more sense, since you made the statement, to provide proof of what you stated.

I also have to wonder what your statement has to do with the topic or even what it has to do with the post you quoted. Since we have no clue about how much content or patches ArenaNet is going to put out post launch (not to mention whether or not they will need them), there is no way of comparing the two games when it comes to post launch content/patches.

Well, if you read the post I was replying to, which I assume you did.

Poster was claiming SWTOR didn't fix any of its problems and was very slow to make patches.

I was merely pointing out the falseness of that.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

VS THIS

3 months (SWTOR)

This has to be said... you consider it a bragging point for a game to be released and require so many fixes so often? Just wondering...

Oderint, dum metuant.

Rather than target one chat, find me a vid where they walk around the city and you hear the chatter around you like the Divinities Reach one does. I did look. YouTubed SWTOR Cities. Watched the walkthroughs of a few. Every one... quiet, dead. Almost... sterile? Yeah... sterile. Apparently your mastery of the Googles is greater than this young padawan, so help me Laughing Man, you're my only hope.

I'd love to, if only I didn't unsub, I'd make one myself.

Yet sorting through hundreds of youtube videos seems a bit tedious, wouldn't you agree?

I mean since you refuse to do it yourself?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

OP, though  Im a TOR supporter and think its a very good game (though I took a break for a couple of weeks), the videos in these pages clearly show the ambience and NPCs are a good percentage less static then TOR. Is it Skyrim? No, but its a very good step in the right direction. Also, Bioware recently admitted that it is on their plate to make the world feel less static..so hopefully later this year it will move more in the direction of this game. Maybe you were expecting hundreds of people roaming around the screen like New Years Eve in Manhattan, but I think that would be unrealstic for performance issues alone.

There Is Always Hope!

VS THIS

3 months (SWTOR)

This has to be said... you consider it a bragging point for a game to be released and require so many fixes so often? Just wondering...

I guess rift is a huge failure too?

Ah yes and patch notes are ALWAYS fixes, they never add new content like raids and quests and such.

Poster was claiming SWTOR didn't fix any of its problems and was very slow to make patches.

No he wasn't.

I'd just go back and read it. It doesn't really matter. It seems like you are implying a lot from him rather than reading without bias.

Yet sorting through hundreds of youtube videos seems a bit tedious, wouldn't you agree?

All I did, admittedly, is put "SWTOR cities" in YouTube and start at the top. Which is strange that all that showed up at the top were tours of dead, dried up cities... why wouldn't the lively ones you claim exist be there? Do I need to search hundreds of vids to actually find a lively one?

Strange... GW2 is the opposite. Wonder why that is...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by keithian

OP, though  Im a TOR supporter and think its a very good game (though I took a break for a couple of weeks), the videos in these pages clearly show the ambience and NPCs are a good percentage less static then TOR. Is it Skyrim? No, but its a very good step in the right direction. Also, Bioware recently admitted that it is on their plate to make the world feel less static..so hopefully later this year it will move more in the direction of this game. Maybe you were expecting hundreds of people roaming around the screen like New Years Eve in Manhattan, but I think that would be unrealstic for performance issues alone.

I expected what i am seeing, this topic is about movement not overall ambience. The video I linked was a small desert area , the videos others are linking are for capital cities, of course there will be a difference in how many NPC's are around.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

No he wasn't.

I'd just go back and read it. It doesn't really matter. It seems like you are implying a lot from him rather than reading without bias.

Here is his quote

"Exactly since Anet is making a non subscription model, they have to remain more honest in their approach to the gameplay and address problems more quickly. "

Seems like hes saying other games don't address problems fast enough.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I like that even listening in on conversations can lead you to amazing things.

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by keithian

I expected what i am seeing, this topic is about movement not overall ambience. The video I linked was a small desert area , the videos others are linking are for capital cities, of course there will be a difference in how many NPC's are around.

I think part of the problem is that the capital cities in SWTOR look just as bad as that hub you linked earlier. Or at least very similar.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

VS THIS

3 months (SWTOR)

You said content. They have released one dungeon in what is now nearly 4 months and expanded one raid that should have been ready at launch.

Thats lots of patches, but mostly bug fixes or fixing an exploit they created. Half of them are tiny patches or crap like this:

1.1.5b Patch Notes

3/15/2012.

General

• Corrected an issue allowing incorrect access for Weekend Pass players.

Or this:

1.1.3a Patch Notes

2/14/2012

General

• Using mouse button 5 while hovering over the UI will no longer cause the game client to crash.

Excuse me while I stand back in awe at the magnificence of these patches.

All I did, admittedly, is put "SWTOR cities" in YouTube and start at the top. Which is strange that all that showed up at the top were tours of dead, dried up cities... why wouldn't the lively ones you claim exist be there? Do I need to search hundreds of vids to actually find a lively one?

Strange... GW2 is the opposite. Wonder why that is...

So in the videos of GW2 I've seen a lot of NPC's patrolling around town, this looks a lot like Stormwind.

Why is that progress?

I'm just confused as to how GW2 is "NIGHT AND DAY" to SWTOR's NPC's when clearly they are rather similar, both games have patrolling NPCs that talk to one another, much the way NPC's do in WoW only with text bubbles.

They are both taking something from WoW

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

There is a bit more movement in the GW2 cities if that is what you are talking about. Now if it is acceptable the level of immersion that you want, only you can say for sure. I will say this, there will never be an mmo that has the activity of an Assassins Creed game for example.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

VS THIS

3 months (SWTOR)

I am sorry, but Rift/Trion seem a lot more competant, I played both (and I am not playing either atm).  BW seems to let things drag on a lot longer unfixed, where as Trion hot patched and fixed things so much faster than BW, it is ridiculous.  The PvP exploits would not of lasted like they did, if it was Trion.  They would of been fixed probably the same day...

I am not a big fan of Rift, but Trion is a quality company, and I am impressed by them, I wish they would of took more chances, and done some things differently, but given they are a smaller/new company, and the budget/size of the companies, Trion kills BW imo for post product support.  It isn't even close imo....Thats what killed me so much, I mean I am not a fan of TOR's end game vision either, but it killed me that after a month that basic endgame quests that were nothing special were still broken, not spawning things, and problems were not fixed...I mean they had, depending on who you talk to 4-6 times the budget of Rift...Again, i say this as a person that is not a fan of either...

You said content. They have released one dungeon in what is now nearly 4 months and expanded one raid that should have been ready at launch.

Thats lots of patches, but mostly bug fixes or fixing an exploit they created. Half of them are tiny patches or crap like this:

1.1.5b Patch Notes

3/15/2012.

General

• Corrected an issue allowing incorrect access for Weekend Pass players.

Or this:

1.1.3a Patch Notes

2/14/2012

General

• Using mouse button 5 while hovering over the UI will no longer cause the game client to crash.

Excuse me while I stand back in awe at the magnificence of these patches.

YEAH!  They shoulda left that stuff broken!

Or maybe lied about it for a long time saying certain crystal colors are in the game and obtainable just "really hard to do so"

cough cough SWG with Jedi's much?

SWTOR's amount of patches and fixes ARE impressive, if you don't think bug fixes are important or that other games launch with bugs...  Can I have your rose colored glasses? I lost mine.