Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was it just misinformation?

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Distopia

Yep that's what TOR looked like in CB. But as far as movement goes, what's different?

I see NPC's moving around, I see one or two standing around talking to each other, and vendors are stationary as they are in all games.

Seems pretty average and normal to me.

Seems a lot like the GW2 vids posted.

You notice the guy making that video had all the audio settings turned up, and all you heard were footsteps?

Yep, he was in the starter area of Nal Hutta.

In Closed Beta.

Also I heard that one little area of the game is fully represenative of the entire game, as ALL MMOS are Fractals, right?

Edit:  Walk into a cantina, do you really expect the little area where you train to have a lot of conversations going on?

Where he was walking was the starter trainer areas, which you spend less than 10 minutes in total, so yeah I'm sad they didn't waste time on such an important area.

Actually no i played in that area and it sounded JUST like that a month after release, yep that's right full on release of the game mini patches and all and they still made no noise when talking to one another nor was there ambience.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Yep that's what TOR looked like in CB. But as far as movement goes, what's different?

I see NPC's moving around, I see one or two standing around talking to each other, and vendors are stationary as they are in all games.

Seems pretty average and normal to me.

Seems a lot like the GW2 vids posted.

You notice the guy making that video had all the audio settings turned up, and all you heard were footsteps?

Yep, he was in the starter area of Nal Hutta.

In Closed Beta.

Also I heard that one little area of the game is fully represenative of the entire game, as ALL MMOS are Fractals, right?

Edit:  Walk into a cantina, do you really expect the little area where you train to have a lot of conversations going on?

Where he was walking was the starter trainer areas, which you spend less than 10 minutes in total, so yeah I'm sad they didn't waste time on such an important area.

Well, give us something else to go by then. Post a video of the lively areas, with NPC activitiy and chatter. Show us once and for all that that's simply a misconception with SWTOR... the whole static, dead-world aspect is simply taken out of context. Simple enough to prove yourself correct on this.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by evilastro

I got a Sith Sorceror and Imperial Agent to 50, both had full Rakata raid gear and Battlemaster gear. I also got a Trooper and Jedi Knight up to 50 on the Republic side, but just played them casually.

Several NPCs? Every single hub? Haha do you exaggerate much? Sometimes if I left myself AFK long enough while getting a snack I would hear a conversation, then dead silence for another 5 minutes. Either you were confusing the companion bug for actual NPC chatter or you are just deliberately exaggerating.

If you read my previous posts, I have nothing against SWTOR, its fine for what it is. A story driven combat MMO. It just didnt have enough content to keep me interested, I have no hard feelings towards the game. But pretending that the ambiance is at an acceptable level for a persistant world in the game is just silly and counterproductive. There are hundreds of posts on the official SWTOR forums complaining about it and sticking your head in the sand about it wont resolve the issue.

So you spend most of your time in the Space station hub, where there is literally no NPC's talking to each other.

Ok, I already said that.

yes, EVERY quest hub I've been to, from the 1st one outside of Nal Hutta, to the Daily quest areas on Bal Morra, has NPC's talking with audiable ambient sound of them having some pointless conversation, that apparently is VITAL to game play for some people.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Personally I ♥ what they did with the cities.

The chatter and vista's already rate it miles above Swtor's fleet stations (which I absolutely came to despise). Only Holbroek doesn't seem so appealing to me. The rest seems ace in the immersion department. Whether NPC's are standing still in a lot of cases or not.

(This only becomes an issue when 99% of them are standing still; if you have 10% of npc's performing activities your whole perception changes and it seems they have this covered in GW2).

If I had to decribe the cities I'd say "WOW 2.0" in style and atmosphere as there still is this slightly stylized aspect to them with exagerated colors and proportions here and there and that's great. It oozes "fantasy", rather than "forced realism".

In the city department I won't go anal on Anet. It really seems they did a great job there, but ...

I do have one gripe though: they seem huge ... also most streets and walkways are very broad. Running through them time and time again will be a pain eventually. So yeah, those city vids make it clear to me once again that this game could really do with some mounts.

Gimme a damn reason not to use teleports or to limit their use and to not have to flip flop around the entire world and I'll gladly take it!

The infrastructure to support mounts is there already.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are Anet devs working on mounts at this very moment  ...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Unlight

I don't remember seeing a whole lot of town NPCs moving around, but I know for certain that I have seen them.  I remember that it made me wonder about the mechanics of wandering NPCs; if they were at all randomized or if they were following a disctinct path, what would happen if you interrupted them while they were moving and if spontaneous chatter might kick off if they passed near other NPCs.

To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to the NPCs at all, except when there were sylvari involved because I'm still very curious about them.  I'm sure I'll watch more closely now that someone has made a point of it (same for zone transitions).

TBH I wouldn't notice it either if it weren't brought up so much about TOR, and If I didn't get called a fanboi for pointing out this is how MMO's always are, then getting called an apologist or Biodrone.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Well, give us something else to go by then. Post a video of the lively areas, with NPC activitiy and chatter. Show us once and for all that that's simply a misconception with SWTOR... the whole static, dead-world aspect is simply taken out of context. Simple enough to prove yourself correct on this.

Here is two NPC's talking to each other, in the starter area of Nal Hutta.

Hmm seems like a conversation, it took me 2 seconds to find that with google...

Are you guys saying you can't google this yourselves?

The difference i'm seeing between the too is night and day. 

In gw2 they have children skipping, people walking having conversations that you can actually hear and understand that aren't just random they are either clues about events in the area or they are bits of lore to flesh out the world, there is ambient noises all around, you can interact with almost all of the npcs (i haven't personally seen them all be clicked on 100%) it FEELS alive.

When i played SWTOR it felt like a backdrop. A painting that didn't have life but was imitating it.

Hopefully for the players and fans of SWTOR they will address this in 1.2 as it was a major contention for many.

Originally posted by itgrowls

In SWTOR they have children skipping, people walking having conversations that you can actually hear and understand that aren't just random they are either clues about events in the area or they are bits of lore to flesh out the world, there is ambient noises all around, you can interact with almost all of the npcs (i haven't personally seen them all be clicked on 100%) it FEELS alive.

When i played GW2 it felt like a backdrop. A painting that didn't have life but was imitating it.

see what i did there?  Yep I can make claims that aren't backed up with any evidence too!

Edit: If you think people quit because NPC's weren't talking or skipping, you are sadly very mistaken.

WE WANT CONTENT!  Not meaningless idle chatter, thats already in the game.

Heh... that was hilarious! The little guy is in a short loop, the big guy just standing there with sound being played over it not even remotely synched to the characters. Amazing all they can say without moving their lips at all. Well... the big guy was easy... Yep. No.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by colddog04

Most NPC's in TOR move their hands, nod their heads, do body emotes, work on things , etc..

video?

Go to youtube I'm sure you'll find plenty..

Couldnt find any. Could you find some for us? Not from cutscenes or dungeons, cheers.

This is quite comical actually because of the issue I"m talking about with the complaints and considering the video title, it's a decent showcase for my point.

Wow, that looks horrifying. I had no idea it was that bland in SWTOR.

Hahaha.. that video made me laugh so hard....  I love that they use the *exact* same NPCs right next to each other.  They didn't even try to make the game interesting.  haha.. there's like 40 of the same NPCs in one area.

That's what it was like in CB, I don't remember the clones at launch. ANyway again as far as movement goes what is different?

The video was just funny.  [mod edit]

"In both games, some NPC's move and some don't."   Is this the sum of your point?  Did I or anyone else here ever think all of the NPCs in GW2 were 100% interactive and autonomous?  Nope.  Apparently you did though.

Now, if you want to compare the two game worlds and put all the cards on the table, let me know.  Most of the arguments I posted and read against TOR's world included the lifeless NPCs, but wasn't limited to that.  There are countless posts and threads all over the internet about how boring the whole game world was, NPCs included.  From what we know of GW2 from media reviews, this isn't the case when looked at on the whole which is what really matters.  Some day maybe all NPCs will have AI and be autonomous, but that day isn't here and ANet never claimed it was.

You can sit here and draw parallels between the NPCs of both games if you want, but that's just an intellectually dishonest jab at those who found SWTOR's world to be lacking in almost every measurable way.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I can tell this thread is just going to end up making SWTOR look really bad in the "lively areas" department instead of detracting from what Guild Wars 2 was able to accomplish in the same department.

I keep looking at various videos and it does seem like Arena Net spent a lot more time fleshing out the city ambiance, NPC movement, NPC interaction and just a general city feel. And then there are the multitude of SWTOR actually showcasing the lack of depth when it comes to these characteristics. The ones that show the main space station are particualarly disturbing.

It's not that I think GW2 is some groundbreaking MMORPG when it comes to city life, but it certainly seems to rank as one of the top MMOs when it comes to attention to detail in the area. At least in the Beta videos that showcase the cities in the Yogscast and a few other various city showcases, there is a very real difference between the two games. At least to me.

Heh... that was hilarious! The little guy is in a short loop, the big guy just standing there with sound being played over it not even remotely synched to the characters. Amazing all they can say without moving their lips at all. Well... the big guy was easy... Yep. No.

Goal post has moved :P

Ah, so you don't like the quality of the content, but you must admit, its there.

And again, if you cannot be bothered to do your own googling, then perhaps you shouldn't bother commenting either :-D

Funny how i found this just as fast. There are five total videos showing the lack of ambience. I experienced this both here in the starter areas AND in the major cities i went to on the max level toons. I suppose you are going to tell me that this guy's evidence has been tampered with in some way because that's usually the next argument by people who can't handle the truth.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by DarkPony

Personally I ♥ what they did with the cities.

The chatter and vista's already rate it miles above Swtor's fleet stations (which I absolutely came to despise). Only Holbroek doesn't seem so appealing to me. The rest seems ace in the immersion department. Whether NPC's are standing still in a lot of cases or not.

(This only becomes an issue when 99% of them are standing still; if you have 10% of npc's performing activities your whole perception changes and it seems they have this covered in GW2).

If I had to decribe the cities I'd say "WOW 2.0" in style and atmosphere as there still is this slightly stylized aspect to them with exagerated colors and proportions here and there and that's great. It oozes "fantasy", rather than "forced realism".

In the city department I won't go anal on Anet. It really seems they did a great job there, but ...

I do have one gripe though: they seem huge ... also most streets and walkways are very broad. Running through them time and time again will be a pain eventually. So yeah, those city vids make it clear to me once again that this game could really do with some mounts.

Gimme a damn reason not to use teleports or to limit their use and to not have to flip flop around the entire world and I'll gladly take it!

The infrastructure to support mounts is there already.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there are Anet devs working on mounts at this very moment  ...

Although I like the idea of mounts in the game, I would never want to see them turning up in cities.  Brings up too many memories of WoW asshats sitting their fat mounted asses on top of vendors and questgivers and generally making nuisances of themselves.  Maybe just give players a bit of a speed buff in the cities to offset their scale.  Not a big one though.  I don't personally mind the size of them at all and I wouldn't want to trivialize the experience of walking through them.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Perhaps you don't understand how arguments work.  We don't make your case for you.  We provide GW2 evidence, you provide SWTOR evidence.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

Funny how i found this just as fast. There are five total videos showing the lack of ambience. I experienced this both here in the starter areas AND in the major cities i went to on the max level toons. I suppose you are going to tell me that this guy's evidence has been tampered with in some way because that's usually the next argument by people who can't handle the truth.

OP posted that in HIS favor, then you post it as an arguement against?

um... have you been reading this thread?

The video was just funny.  As for arguing with you, I'm all full up on that trollfest.  Your post is either an outright troll, or the Captain Obvious post of the week.  

"In both games, some NPC's move and some don't."   Is this the sum of your point?  Did I or anyone else here ever think all of the NPCs in GW2 were 100% interactive and autonomous?  Nope.  Apparently you did though.

Now, if you want to compare the two game worlds and put all the cards on the table, let me know.  Most of the arguments I posted and read against TOR's world included the lifeless NPCs, but wasn't limited to that.  There are countless posts and threads all over the internet about how boring the whole game world was, NPCs included.  From what we know of GW2 from media reviews, this isn't the case when looked at on the whole which is what really matters.  Some day maybe all NPCs will have AI and be autonomous, but that day isn't here and ANet never claimed it was.

You can sit here and draw parallels between the NPCs of both games if you want, but that's just an intellectually dishonest jab at those who found SWTOR's world to be lacking in almost every measurable way.

What you don't seem to understand is complaints came from more than just one aspect, there were those who complained about overall ambience, and those who complained about NPC ambience (statues). I'm talking about the latter, you can make your own thread if you want to talk about the former, because I have no argument against that, as I too agree on an overall level GW2 has more going on and a better city atmosphere (seemingly so anyway).

I can tell this thread is just going to end up making SWTOR look really bad in the "lively areas" department instead of detracting from what Guild Wars 2 was able to accomplish in the same department.

I keep looking at various videos and it does seem like Arena Net spent a lot more time fleshing out the city ambiance, NPC movement, NPC interaction and just a general city feel.

Exactly since Anet is making a non subscription model, they have to remain more honest in their approach to the gameplay and address problems more quickly. I think with their Devs experience in Blizzard and their experience with mmo's in general this being their second game and all they've actually learned from gaming history on what not to do. We can expect honestly a great experience.

Originally posted by cali59

Perhaps you don't understand how arguments work.  We don't make your case for you.  We provide GW2 evidence, you provide SWTOR evidence.

Where is the GW2 conversations?

I dont' see any posted in any of these threads.

Please provide sources, I cannot google myself. I'm too lazy.

BTW I'm planning on buying GW2, so don't try and "put me" in a category, I'm on the side of an honest debate, that doesn't attack the person it discusses the topic.

Thats my agenda, always.

I keep looking at various videos and it does seem like Arena Net spent a lot more time fleshing out the city ambiance, NPC movement, NPC interaction and just a general city feel.

Exactly since Anet is making a non subscription model, they have to remain more honest in their approach to the gameplay and address problems more quickly. I think with their Devs experience in Blizzard and their experience with mmo's in general this being their second game and all they've actually learned from gaming history on what not to do. We can expect honestly a great experience.

SWTOR had the fastest patches and fixes, and the most content added the fastest out of any MMO ever.

If this isn't true, please prove me wrong.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I got a Sith Sorceror and Imperial Agent to 50, both had full Rakata raid gear and Battlemaster gear. I also got a Trooper and Jedi Knight up to 50 on the Republic side, but just played them casually.

Several NPCs? Every single hub? Haha do you exaggerate much? Sometimes if I left myself AFK long enough while getting a snack I would hear a conversation, then dead silence for another 5 minutes. Either you were confusing the companion bug for actual NPC chatter or you are just deliberately exaggerating.

If you read my previous posts, I have nothing against SWTOR, its fine for what it is. A story driven combat MMO. It just didnt have enough content to keep me interested, I have no hard feelings towards the game. But pretending that the ambiance is at an acceptable level for a persistant world in the game is just silly and counterproductive. There are hundreds of posts on the official SWTOR forums complaining about it and sticking your head in the sand about it wont resolve the issue.

So you spend most of your time in the Space station hub, where there is literally no NPC's talking to each other.

Ok, I already said that.

yes, EVERY quest hub I've been to, from the 1st one outside of Nal Hutta, to the Daily quest areas on Bal Morra, has NPC's talking with audiable ambient sound of them having some pointless conversation, that apparently is VITAL to game play for some people.

Oh so now I played in the wrong areas? While leveling 4 characters to 50? Thats just hilarious.

First we didnt play SWTOR, then when we point out that we did, we didnt play it right.

Theres no point debating with you, you are just being an obvious troll at this point. Anyone with a brain who has played SWTOR can tell you that the NPCs are severely lacking. The quest hubs arent 'buzzing' with activity, and unless you go AFK for long periods of time in the quest hubs you would be lucky to hear 3 conversations while leveling to max level.

Ah, so you don't like the quality of the content, but you must admit, its there.

And again, if you cannot be bothered to do your own googling, then perhaps you shouldn't bother commenting either :-D

Yes, you found one, on a 22 second loop. Grats. The Divinities Reach tour beat that in the first 22 seconds just randomly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

In SWTOR they have children skipping, people walking having conversations that you can actually hear and understand that aren't just random they are either clues about events in the area or they are bits of lore to flesh out the world, there is ambient noises all around, you can interact with almost all of the npcs (i haven't personally seen them all be clicked on 100%) it FEELS alive.

When i played GW2 it felt like a backdrop. A painting that didn't have life but was imitating it.

see what i did there?  Yep I can make claims that aren't backed up with any evidence too!

Edit: If you think people quit because NPC's weren't talking or skipping, you are sadly very mistaken.

WE WANT CONTENT!  Not meaningless idle chatter, thats already in the game.

Actually no there were pleanty of complaints about the lack of ambience from the RP and pve crowd just because you didn't want to include those types of players in this community doesn't make their claims any less valid nor does it make their complaints any less true. Content includes a living breathing world to the best of the programming and technology available just because you don't care about that part of a game doesn't matter it's everyone's experience with a game that gives it an overall good or bad feel.

Yes, you found one, on a 22 second loop. Grats. The Divinities Reach tour beat that in the first 22 seconds just randomly.

Yeah, I found one in .2 seconds of searching.

It was SOO HARD because of how rare NPC conversations are in the game.