Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Opinions from a Long Time Fan

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at the game from the viewpoint of a long time fan. Our thoughts are based on the recent beta weekend. See what you think before adding your comments.

A few months ago we talked about some things that were in the original game that I was hoping to see come back for Guild Wars 2.  One feature was very small, but made a huge impact.  I’m talking about the ability to draw on the mini map.  Why would something so simple be so important?  This feature was in the first game and I used it so much when adventuring in a group or with my guild.  Sure we had voice chat available, but it was nice to draw out the battle plans as we discussed strategy with each other.  It made sure we were all on the same page.  I am very glad to see that this feature is brought back for Guild Wars 2, as well as the ability to ping locations by simply double clicking the map.  Upon telling my guild the feature would be returning, they cheered!

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Opinions from a Long Time Fan.

The original party window was comparable to the size of the mini map. Such a small thing, yet it offered a wealth of information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

If you don't like using a keyboard please go back to console games and DC Universe. I don't mean to be rude but I feel that it is people like you that are ruining the MMORPG genre. MMOs are supposed to be role playing games/worlds - not action games.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I too would like to see official support for gamepad use.

My PC is close enough to my big HDTV to run a HDMI between the two, that + gamepad = playing GW2 on a massive TV from the comfort of my couch - epic.

And a wireless keyboard on the coffee table when chat is needed = win.

Originally posted by tordurbar

If you don't like using a keyboard please go back to console games and DC Universe. I don't mean to be rude but I feel that it is people like you that are ruining the MMORPG genre. MMOs are supposed to be role playing games/worlds - not action games.

Ever stop and think a MMO could be both a game/world and an action game?

MIND BLOWN

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by BadSpock

My PC is close enough to my big HDTV to run a HDMI between the two, that + gamepad = playing GW2 on a massive TV from the comfort of my couch - epic.

Originally posted by Kuppa

I'd probably still use keyboard+mouse at my desk for PvP though.

TV+gamepad would be fun for casual DE/exploration and such.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Constantly having to move can be hard on Healers in some games. I wonder about here.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38

Agree on both points! Get controller support in the game and I will pre-order on day it's announced. Otherwise, no thanks, WASD action is not my world.

The party window in GW1 was a stroke of genious, I agree it should come back in some form.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I couldn't care less if you console playing couch potatoes want a gamepad in the game, just as long as they don't ruin the keyboard and mouse controls in the process.  There's a good reason no one has made a decent full-featured MMO for consoles.  They suck.  They are the "easy-bake oven" of gaming.

My attitude also comes from being a long, long time PC FPS competitive player.  Console controls are so slow, clumsy and dumbed down that I can't even stand the thought of them.  Accuracy = huge spam-cone of fire.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

[Rant] All the new AAA games are trying that - including WOW. They are all for "we cater to skilled players" less so the thinkers, the explorers, the crafters. I see action games as belonging to one of two categories, pvp or story. PVP is obvious. That is what action games are really about - how fast you can crush another human opponent. Consoles are the perfect platform for that - he who has the faster reflexes invariably wins.

Story - you hack and slash  your way through mobs and obstacles to get to the end (with the emphasis on hack and slash). I find it amusing to see Diablo 3 included in MMORPG - it is a pure action game. I see SWTOR more as an action game than a deep MMO.  

People complain that companies are dumbing down MMO games. My feeling is that is due to the action gamers. Emphasize fighting and pvp. That sounds like about every new MMO except for ArcheAge.

Back to the OP - in SWTOR cities everything the NPCs say in cities revolves around the story. In GW2 cities the NPCs talk about other things too. This may be deliberate in SWTOR but reinforces the image of the city as a stage and not part of a world.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

there is a small team working on a GW2 console port, Controler support in a MMORPG is kinda sketchy to me. Its the whole point of a MMO to be social? how do you plan on communicating with anyone on a controller?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"The party is viewed on the upper left hand corner.  This is really the only thing I can honestly say I dislike in the entire game."

Ok ...

0_0

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Caponestyle

there is a small team working on a GW2 console port, Controler support in a MMORPG is kinda sketchy to me. Its the whole point of a MMO to be social? how do you plan on communicating with anyone on a controller?

Voice chat ;)

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by Boatsmate

Constantly having to move can be hard on Healers in some games. I wonder about here.

clearly this guy cant see past trinity..how sad :D :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

true, Its a shame voice chat has not been implemented properly in any MMORPG to date. It would be nice if they got rid of keyboard chat and forced everyone in the game to use voice chat. wouldnt it be cool if while running by another player game ingame you could hear what he was talking about and as you got further away , his voice gradually faded out? lots of cool stuff they could do with this.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

true, Its a shame voice chat has not been implemented properly in any MMORPG to date. It would be nice if they got rid of keyboard chat and forced everyone in the game to use voice chat. wouldnt it be cool if while running by another player game ingame you could hear what he was talking about and as you got further away , his voice gradually faded out? lots of cool stuff they could do with this.

Worst idea ever! I would never play a game like this. It would completely destroy the whole game.

Party window was awesome in GW. healthbars chaning color when poisoned or hexed, easy to see what condition each party member had etc. I really wish GW2 had the same functionality.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

I'm really not going to miss all the penises being drawn on the minimap what so ever. If they do put it in GW2 then give the party leader control over who can draw on it.

As for controllers doubt I'd use one even if my eyes weren't all bad. Don't have anything against them though.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

removed

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Boatsmate

One of the major points of GW is that you don't need traditional healers.  Beyond that who actualy clicks on the player when healing. Part of what i hate about most current MMO Healing classes is its more about memorization of who is what hotkey than it is about intelligence, buffs, and status effects.  I miss the old school MMO's where everyone had to be like shit how do i deal with that mob instead of just having a tank and healer face roll it.

tordurbar

what part of being of the acronym RPG stands for shitty skilless combat.  Being an RPG is mostly about progression choices and story, two things most so-called MMO-RPG's have lost over the last 10 years.  I think its people like you who are really ruining the genre, thinking that games have to be a certain way to be good.  Might as well keep buying cd's instead of mp3's while your at it budy cause change always keeps coming.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well every game that I have seen, especially any MMO that supports gamepads, has horrible UI because when you fit a UI into a gamepad you always end up dumbing down the interface.  That is fine if you want to put up with such, but the vast majority on this forum just shudder in horror at such an idea.

As to voice chat, a lot of crap that comes out of peoples mouths on voice chat is not fit for any medium.  At least you can report people for over the top text comments.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    I like the new party ui.

Sic Luceat Lux

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I just bought Razer Naga just for this game. So playing with controller now is out of question, however I don't see why they wouldn't add support for it. If it brings joy to some, let it be :)

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

In my opinion  mouse+keyboard beats any controller in action games. It's much more natural and precise to use the mouse for navigation/aiming and the amount of keys available on the keyboard is obviously way beyond anything a controller can ever provide.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by gladosrev2

the amount of keys available on the keyboard is obviously way beyond anything a controller can ever provide.

Completely untrue. Using an xbox controller as an example:

No buttons held down = 14 buttons

Left trigger held down (same concept as shift 1) = 14 buttons

Right trigger held down = 14 buttons

Both triggers held down = 14 buttons

Thats 56

Add hold zones to every button and shift so that they do different things if pressed or held for 1-2 second/s. This doubles it.

Thats 112. Thats also more keys than on a standard keyboard. It's also waaaay more than you'll ever need for any game.

You can also create cycle commands for buttons. Useful for say.. selecting group members. First time you press it, it selects group member 1, next time group member 2, then 3, 4, 5, 6, then back to 1. Easy to rapidly press a shoulder button to get the selection you want. Cycle commands can also be used as a right mouse button toggle so you can toggle in and out of mouselook easily in any game.

This is easily done with something like pinnacle game profiler. I do it all the time.

I'm not trying to troll, i'm honestly not.. but anyone who can't play an mmo with a controller is simply rubbish with them (controllers, not mmos) compared to those who can. I am currently playing Aion using only a controller and doing amazingly. I also played WoW using a controller and was excellent at PvP, always top 3 in battlegrounds.

I already have my pinnacle profile set up and ready for when gw2 hits and i'll be able to do everything the same as those on keyboard.. possibly better than most but definately better than clickers. Keyboard right in front of me for chat, mouse on hand for managing menus if i dont feel like always using my right stick to do it all the time (a mouselook toggle setup gives you full mouse pointer control when out of mouselook mode).. all from a comfortable and relaxed seated position...

... and looking forward to meeting keyboard users in WvWvW.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Eve online has voice chat, and it works pretty well. Some people don't even use vent anymore.

This is not a game.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by tordurbar

Nice of you to dictate to the world what an mmo MUST be. Really appreciated. A roleplaying game that has fluid and responsive gameplay? Outrageous! They must be mad!

Fortunately for the rest of us ArenaNet arent as narrow minded as you. It must be cramped inside your little boxed in world