Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Pre-Orders & Beta Weekends

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by cueca

Originally posted by Alalala

Think carefully about signing up. Google "age of Conan launch issues problems". Same company, same people, same pre-launch hyper hype. Diablo III launches 4 days late- play it for a couple months, then try SW.

Don't you think they learned a little from back then?!

If they make the same mistakes again, then they do deserve to fail.

Google "Anarchy Online" launch issues.

I suspect folks were expecting Funcom to learn from their AO mistakes for AoC.  Didn't quite turn out that way.

Third time is the charm, hopefully?  But I wouldn't bet on it.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, if people can brave Anet's cash shop, I can brave Funcom's launch woes lol

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Just the fact they offer "lifetime subscription" is worrysome...but then I saw so many things that can not be unseen.

This makes me sad, the regular game doesn't even seem to come with 30 days free. :(

Funcom, what are you doing?

Official reaction from Funcom at their Facebook page:

The Secret World ‎[Waldgeist] - 30 Days of playtime with the core game package.

Source:

http://www.facebook.com/thesecretworld

So you can order 30 days in advance, that start when the 30 days that are included in the core package end.

30 days are included with the standard game.

Source: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?p=694433#post694433

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Can't use my username because I already used it for AoC/AO.../sigh

Also, really no special chars in the password field? Oh, that's real secure.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

AO i had only heard how bad the launch was, but i was there for aoc launch it wasn't bad, i do not remember pulling my hair out or anything,everything worked correctly ,i read alot more than i saw, i wasn't sure where people were getting the info, but i was worried about the game before it launched, it started out before beta with some really interesting class types, then they widdled it down and tryed to over simplify it, that was discouraging,then delayed it, i tihnk they gave an unrealistic launch date to start,and gave too much info that they had to retract or change, there is pleanty of info about TSW, all you have to do is read the articles on mmorpg.com or go to there youtube page and watch there released videos, it gives enough info to let you know what the game is suposed to be like and what they actually have working , and i have yet to see a video of a live demo that shows something not working  , i think that this is very important everything works in a live demo, as far as the item shop thing, its going to be mostly vanity items, the xp potion does not bother me too much, thats not really a "pay to win" mechanic, everyone gets xp so you really  can not say you have to buy it, the xp potions will not make it imposible for the average player to fight and win against someone with xp potions,and about the 30 day sub, the wording is ambigous, does it come with 30 days and the master pack gives an extra 30 ? u have yet to read anything about this, but that is a little worrisome, it does apear that they intend to nickle and dime us, hopefully they will not start adding in items that you HAVE to buy in order to play...i was realyl thinking about a lifetime sub, but i think they will still give you that option even after the game launches,well guys and gall lets cross out fingers and hope they get things right.

• Go to your account from your other Funcom name.

• Login

• On the sidebar, account option select Add game

• Add TSW

• Then you either get a list of payment options and you select pre-order or you select View payment and pick the pre-order.

It's bloated I know and it creates an additional game account into your funcom general account.

Also to the poster above me, paragraphs are your friends. Wall of text makes it unreadable.

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by Xasapis

30 days are included with the standard game.

Source: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?p=694433#post694433

ahhh  thanks xasapis that really makes me feal better

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

I have pre-ordered Funcom games in the past and learned the hard way. While this game looks pretty cool... I will never pre-order a game from Funcom again.

I will wait to see how the game is doing 6 months from now.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

You get the pre order bonuses, namly the beta weekend access, from ordering from Amazon or does it have to be off their site?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by alanthecelt

yer these packages are very very off putting

xp boost potions?

weapon and talisman packs?

im very scared off by pay to win... it may have actually stopped me preordering seeing this

They already said that vanity item shop will include weapon reskins and stuff like that.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Alalala

Think carefully about signing up. Google "age of Conan launch issues problems". Same company, same people, same pre-launch hyper hype. Diablo III launches 4 days late- play it for a couple months, then try SW.

1) Look at the development time of AOC and just how much the investors made them rush it AND WHO WAS in charge of advertising and where that guy is now(hint: fired)

2) look at development time of TSW and the entirelly different approach to it?

3) Look at tehe fac that TSW Closed beta has been going on for quite some time already.

4) look at the fact none of head developers of AOC are working on TSW and that its helmed by the guy who pretty much only radiates and produces AWESOME stuff, also known as the guy who reinvented and saved Anarchy Online.

5) Look at the fact that it will be openly playable at PAX so you will have dozens of days to form an opinion before buying. 

6.) Diablo III....uhhhhhh, not touching that thing. Ever. Diablo franchise is dead.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ZaraathZaraath Member UncommonPosts: 18

How is this any different than WOW?  WOW has a cash shop.. they just call it something else. You can buy ingame mounts and pets.. how is that different than costumes in TSW?

Yet people flip out over the term cash shop... tons of games have it and subscriptions.

Also, to compare what this game will launch like compared to AO is ridiculous.  I doubt any of those people even work there anymore, and if they do...they have a great deal more experience now.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

I think its funny, its GREAT they finally start promoting and selling the game now but their new garanteed beta access offer means nothing to me.

They offered garanteed beta access in the past few years before and they havent lived up to that yet, granted thanks to the pushback, they are still able to live up to their promise. But I STILL think its shady dealing. If things did go as planned they couldnt have lived up to it. Im positive the garanteed access promotion isnt based on first come first served either, I accepted that deal the same day they started it. Took them up on several offers and still.. nothing.

I do hope the game turns out to be successfull but I wont buy the game till either they live up to their previous promotions or after the game is released.. if I end up buying it at all.

I stuck with them through bad and worse since day 1 of Ao, stuck with them since day 1 of Aoc and I already would have been happy with some information. hate to say it but before Im willing to invest more money in them they'll have to redeem themselves first.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I find that with MMOs (and video games) patience is a virtue...The longer you can wait them out the better.....ITs not like in a year the game will cost 100 bucks, 30 to sub, and 400 for a lifetime......Most likely it will be free to download, 15 a month still (if not f2p by then), and 100 for a lifetime sub......Funcom knows that this is the time to price gouge and they are going to do it.

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

For me, the biggest pull, is the class/role system. These systems are by far the most replayable in any game type. You can look at GW1 for referance, you get a new elite skill try out a build or team build, tweak it and try again, alot like MTG it keeps you playing for a lot longer than say a game like SWTOR which basicly has zero character build depth. Whats funny is, gw1 is basically a terrible mmo, but the character system makes all the difference.

This is also a big reason people love Rift, me included, you can tweak on your character make small choices and see how they fair, its makes you want to go back into the world just to see, it also creates a deeper team strategy and dynamic.

I dont doubt this game will be grindy, and typical with the questing format/trinity but the setting along with the character depth possibilties, are way more than enough for me.

GW2 looks amazing at this point, it offers some of this type of metagaming aswell, along with whats been revealed I can see someone passing on TSW for GW2 at this point, for me I will try both, but no way I'm going lifetime or overbaord on the digital items, so far TSW just doesn't warrant that imo.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Velera

Oh I agree that its 100% optional, and that you can just pay the normal price for the game and play it, and thats fair, my issue with this is that for a subscription based game they are throwing way too much fluff and fill out there, and it looks to me as the staging grounds for a fast conversion to F2P once they have gotten their development costs covered.

You know what? That's exactly what came to my mind aswell. The final straw was that they are offering a lifetime sub for 200€ extra, which is around year and a half subscriptions.

This game will be converting to AoC-like freemium service in less than 2 years.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Went with Lifetime on TSW.

Been hyping this game for ages and the theme is something really rare in MMORPGs. I have to admit that the 250€'s is really big investment in a game there's not that much information around of. But I want to support Funcom and their efforts in bringing old school MMORPGs that have real degree of character development and challenge.

There's really no rational reason to go with the lifetime to be honest. I just went with my hype and gut feeling. Might've been a really bad investment or a good one, time will tell o/

I think of it as supporting european game developers! 8)

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Not this time.

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Went with Lifetime on TSW.
    Been hyping this game for ages and the theme is something really rare in MMORPGs. I have to admit that the 250€'s is really big investment in a game there's not that much information around of. But I want to support Funcom and their efforts in bringing old school MMORPGs that have real degree of character development and challenge.
    There's really no rational reason to go with the lifetime to be honest. I just went with my hype and gut feeling. Might've been a really bad investment or a good one, time will tell o/
    I think of it as supporting european game developers! 8)

Did the same. Gonna be playin this for awhile.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Games888

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Just the fact they offer "lifetime subscription" is worrysome...but then I saw so many things that can not be unseen.

This makes me sad, the regular game doesn't even seem to come with 30 days free. :(

Funcom, what are you doing?

You dont need to worry, after seeing a lifestime subscription option you can pretty much know, with absolute certainty that funcom has no confidence in the longevity of their title.

There isnt one successful lifetime sub MMO out there, everyone of them, EVERYONE has failed within the year. That is just fact.

+1 + I was a beta tester for both LOTR and TSW so I know his theory is correct.  Thats why I suggest u get urself a beta account but have the option to cancel the preorder.  

ehh what??

People who bought the lifetime sub on day one of LOTRO's release got more than their money's worth!

LOTRO was highly succesful for the first 3 years, until Turbine dropped the ball and started slacking with regular free book updates that became less and less, as they were too busy converting DDO to F2P and then were bought by WB and converted LOTRO to F2P.

LOTRO, just like many other MMO's out there is an either you love it or you hate it game, just like EVE Online for example.

But it's undeniable that LOTRO (at least the first 2 and half years) had a steady 600k subscriber base.

LOTRO was actually still doing pretty well, but as DDO's F2P (Freemium) model was so extremely succesful for them, they decided to convert LOTRO to F2P (Freemium) as well, to increase their profits.... which so far has paid off pretty well for them.

Not that I like it myself, as I greatly enjoyed LOTRO before the F2P era... as now it has become more and more Pay2Win, with all updates having a very strong focus on Store Sales, rather than adding enjoyable content ingame. :-/

But please get your facts straight!  LOTRO was far from a Failure!  It was a huge success and still is!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Wait, you mean for $14.99 I can get all of the best weapons that will allow me to own everything in sight and for just $59.99 on top of that, I can get the best set of gear and a motha effin jacket too!? Take note ANet, this is how you do proper P2W!

Originally posted by heartless

Wait, you mean for $14.99 I can get all of the best weapons that will allow me to own everything in sight and for just $59.99 on top of that, I can get the best set of gear and a motha effin jacket too!? Take note ANet, this is how you do proper P2W!

If these are like AoC starter kit, those were pretty worthless once you leave Tortage. I suspect the same will happen here. Not really worth the money in my book.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

If these are like AoC starter kit, those were pretty worthless once you leave Tortage. I suspect the same will happen here. Not really worth the money in my book.

Either way you look at it, it's still trading real money for an in-game advantage over other players.

Either way you look at it, it's still trading real money for an in-game advantage over other players.

True, but they follow the PvE server design of GW2, so no big loss there. Unless I miss something and TSW has open world PvP.