Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The End of The Mittani Era

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, all hell broke loose in the EVE Online community with the revelation of what some called "bullying" by The Mittani, a legend in the EVE Online world. In our latest One Jump Home column, we offer the unique perspective about the issue. Read on and then share your thoughts in the comments.

Our story begins with Goonswarm Federation CEO, and Council of Stellar Management 6 chairman The Mittani being handed a microphone on stage and beginning what he would later recount as one of his lowest moments in EVE Online. Just a few days earlier a member of Goonswarm Federation had successfully polished off a tasty 80 Billion ISK scam which was sometime in the works, and executed with the sort of tactful grace that rewards he who dares with such a bountiful yield. However, the player in question hereafter referred to as W. was to become the centre of a controversy that quickly overcame both of them.

Read more of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: The End of The Mittani Era.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

He's lucky to have been spared the rod of the new cyber bullying laws.

Mittens would have made for a cute correctional facility alias.

• DrulisleDrulisle Member Posts: 15

Live by the sword; die by the sword. So why are MMORPG staff writers crying over this cyber-psychopath's spilt milk?

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I was horrified by this initially. Bullies aren't cool, not in the slightest. I'm not an EVE player but it's been hard not to read about this not just here but everywhere in the gaming community. Punishment has been handed down now and it's over. The guilty party now will have this hanging over his head for the rest of his life. In the age of information, he's got a prison sentence without having served time behind bars. I'm not sure what I feel about that except I am fairly certain at this point he wishes he had kept his mouth shut to begin and he definately SHOULD have kept it shut but he didn't for whatever reason.  I can't speak for someone I don't know and I can't crawl inside the head of someone who does these things. But as a human being, I think it's important to remember that people CAN change. If they do or not that is up to them. But we move on and we move forward otherwise we become twisted people in our own right seeking our own form of punishment because we don't like the punishment handed down. Time to move on people.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Eve breeds cyber bullies. Have yal played the game? All you do is gank unknown people.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Eve breeds cyber bullies. Have yal played the game? All you do is gank unknown people.

The game is the game, when you confuse it with life you have a problem.

Originally posted by Zaltark

have you never played on a pvp server in any other MMO?

edit: Agree with Ref. It's the player in question, not the game.

I disagree fundamentally with this article, using a public platform which was being broadcast over the internet to call on people to harrass someone who may have mental health issues with the stated aim of trying to get him to commit suicide, even if said in poor jest, is inexcusable and is in no way diminished by associated misreporting or the glee taken by his in game enemies. The writer of this article should be ashamed at having written this.
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Drulisle

Live by the sword; die by the sword. So why are MMORPG staff writers crying over this cyber-psychopath's spilt milk?

The author of that article is not a staff writer.  So quick to flame.

http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/White_Tree

• DruftDruft Member Posts: 24

Yeah right :D Such a poor child to have over 20 accounts for grinding money in even and then crying about suicide to the biggest griefer in EVE...  Such stupid hypocracy... Someone would talk about a random dude with 20 accounts to same online game all grinding money, most people would just call him a useless **** and tell him to get help... Now because he gets killed in the game and whines about his life being bad, suddenly everyone is "awwww, poor player"... Yah right...

• GnomigGnomig Member Posts: 48

I think it's kind of relativistic to say of ALL of us Eveplayers that we do to him what he did to that tendencially suicidal guy. Of course there are some freaks who are no better than he is, but I think equalling the majority of players who are just sick of that guy with those [mod edit] is quite wrong and it does not make his behavior in any way better - which is implied by the "well he did that but don't we ALL do that to him?"-argument.

If he's in the center of a shitstorm right now, well... I think he caused it. And I sure do hope I get spared of his self-indulgence now.

Originally posted by Druft

Yeah right :D Such a poor child to have over 20 accounts for grinding money in even and then crying about suicide to the biggest griefer in EVE...  Such stupid hypocracy... Someone would talk about a random dude with 20 accounts to same online game all grinding money, most people would just call him a useless **** and tell him to get help... Now because he gets killed in the game and whines about his life being bad, suddenly everyone is "awwww, poor player"... Yah right...

Trying to justify this in any way is not helpful in the slightest.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The Mittani did the right thing to publicly apologise unreservedly and resign.

However, I think people over-emphasise the importance of the CSM - the really important things (such as the game's direction) are decided by CCP.

A riot in Jita, a storm on the forums, and people quitting Eve, are all probably more influential than the CSM.

The CSM is one of the 'checks and balences'.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

The Mittani did the right thing to publicly apologise unreservedly and resign.
    However, I think people over-emphasise the importance of the CSM - the really important things (such as the game's direction) are decided by CCP.
    A riot in Jita, a storm on the forums, and people quitting Eve, are all probably more influential than the CSM.
    The CSM is one of the 'checks and balences'.

The Mittani did not resign, he had to be removed from the chairmanship of CSM6 and the body CSM7 by CCP. The importance of the CSM is irrelevant. He did apologise however, which was the correct thing to do, a pity he couldn't bear to go through with his stated aim of resigning and tried to cling to his position on CSM7 instead by trying to only decline the chairmanship.

Originally posted by melangel

Seeing as you said you are not an EVE player... Tell me what is the most horrible thing about this case?

The fact that 1 person got drunk and gave another players character name to other people and told them to spam that person? Since thats all that happened really...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Great column. The intense hatred for Goons and their leader over video game misfortune (i.e. first world problems of people with no life anyway) has surprised me me more than the Goons actual ingame atrocities (which were often hilarious). They are the evil clowns of EVE and supply the entire community with laughs and tears. He'll be back and that's a good thing for everyone.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I have a tornado setup and ready to go in Jita for when Mittens returns. Whether you love or hate the Goons, they do make the game more interesting and create lots of publicity for our little niche game.

Originally posted by Murashu

I have a tornado setup and ready to go in Jita for when Mittens returns. Whether you love or hate the Goons, they do make the game more interesting and create lots of publicity for our little niche game.

I agree with both you and Dark Pony here, a sandbox needs bastards and villains and the goons play the role with style, my issue over Suicidegate is with people attempting to justify the unconscionable and attempting to minimise the severity of a crass act which even the main protagonist says was dreadful.

Seeing as you said you are not an EVE player... Tell me what is the most horrible thing about this case?

The fact that 1 person got drunk and gave another players character name to other people and told them to spam that person? Since thats all that happened really...

I'm not even going to answer your question. Perhaps you can search hard and answer it yourself. The man in question admited his wrong doing, apologised and I agree people should move on. The ones who can't admit that he admitted wrong doing are the ones I worry about more.

I suggest the best answer for you would be found in the mittani's widely published apology.

I'm not even going to answer your question. Perhaps you can search hard and answer it yourself. The man in question admited his wrong doing, apologised and I agree people should move on. The ones who can't admit that he admitted wrong doing are the ones I worry about more.

What he did was wrong, yes and he admitted he was wrong, yes.(in his way...)( "I'm a jedi like obi-wan kenobi") But was the thing he did worth all the attention it has been getting as the most horrifying this sliced bread? No, not really.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by RefMinor

I disagree fundamentally with this article, using a public platform which was being broadcast over the internet to call on people to harrass someone who may have mental health issues with the stated aim of trying to get him to commit suicide, even if said in poor jest, is inexcusable and is in no way diminished by associated misreporting or the glee taken by his in game enemies. The writer of this article should be ashamed at having written this.

Oh my, let it go.... I think you have managed to put across your rage about it all in the last 'over 9000!' posts you have made about the subject.

Perhaps make moaning about it part of your sig or something.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

What he did was wrong, yes and he admitted he was wrong, yes.(in his way...) But was the thing he did worth all the attention it has been getting as the most horrifying this sliced bread? No, not really.

Now you are into the what if's I'm afraid. I've little doubt he's had some what if's of his own swimming around his head. Perhaps CCP has as well or the other person involved has also. What if it had never been said? What if it had never been broadcast? What if the other person had never written what he did to the OP in game? What if this had never become big news? What if it had just all gone away quietly? It's pointless to think that way because it is what it is now. And that's not going to change by pages of discussion.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Its amazing how people manage to find ways to do the wrong thing even in a self contained, apparently harmless medium like an mmo.

This reminds me somewht of the story of the funeral in a pvp server in wow. Seems we are capable of hurting people no matter how, where or when.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by RefMinor

Oh my, let it go.... I think you have managed to put across your rage about it all in the last 'over 9000!' posts you have made about the subject.

Perhaps make moaning about it part of your sig or something.

After every post I let it go, but then someone seems to wait a while and then makes a dumb post and the circle repeats.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Eve the most hardcore game out there.

Life's are ruined in a split second.

Moments of victory are shared between brothers.

Miners smoking pot all day while bashing rocks hours on end.

What The Mitany did was not something to be proud of, and he said he was sorry.

He used his position in a bad way and should be punished a little.

But things like this and much worse things happens evryday in eve....so i dont understand the fuzz about it tbh.

Ive lost ships worth months of farming in a blink of an eye by not playing it save.

Eve aint no home for cry baby's and weak at hart players, its a dog eat dog world and even the hunted get hunted.

Take it like a man and move on.