Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Firefall and Dust514 won't touch PS2...

2»

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Errr.. I didn't read much of this thread - But I'm assuming you think everyone falls within the same category

Because personally I'll be playing Both PS 2 and Firefall, and i may even get Dust514 because Its coming out on the VITA

.. Not to mention - This is coming from someone who really dislikes the FPS Genre.

The only one I'm not sure about is Dust, because from what I've heard Its just a lobby based shooter with some behind the scenes management through E.V.E - But thats just because I'm uninformed.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Huge Planetside fan here.  Planetside2 and End of Nations are the only two games I have my eye on for the forseeable future.  Every other MMO just looks like the same ole re-hashed garbage to me.

Dust shot themselves in the foot by going console only. I will never, ever understand the logic behind linking an exclusively computer game to an exclusively console game.  Maybe I'm missing something.

...and Firefall, well, people who enjoy the epicness of the Planetside experience might try Firefall for laughs, but they will call PS2 their home.

The only thing that concerns me about PS2 is is how Sony handles the "free" to play thing.  If it's something like those who pay the most get the best equipment, then I'll pass.  As much as I love Planetside...I'll pass.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Let me start by saying I am a 8 year vet of planetside. I have played it since it's inception and always find myself going back because nothing else can fill that void. Planetside, in a good way, ruined other FPS game for me. No other game has ever come close to touching what truly makes Planetside what it is. At it's core, it's a massive FPS skirmish for power. And, as if that wasn't enough, it offers the customizability of RPGs and the freedom to do what you want. (There's no quests here... or game-given missions)

I'd be a fool to disagree that PS had died over the years because it has. With the creation of BFRs, dual core hackers, and just hackers in general PS definitely had seen better days. In spite of all that, it still maintained a very strong following and SOE did everything they could to combat these issues. Some of them could not be helped from a development standpoint simply because the game was horribly coded and it was said that the person who worked on it, that left some time ago, left a giant cluster-fuck of code that was extremely hard to work with. But enough about Planetside's past... lets get to the future.

Games like Firefall and Dust514 (CCP's future PS3 game which I just heard about) simply do not offer what planetside does. NPC battles are a dead giveaway here. No one wants to play an FPS against NPCs... Where's the challenge in that? These games won't offer the awesome teamwork that is capable in PS. If you want to go kill big monsters and dumb AI NPCs then go right ahead... Just know full well that the big boys won't be playing it.

Words simply cannot explain the epicness that is Planetside... it is truly an experience that one must partake themselves to fully grasp. Even trying to explain everything the game has to offer... all the depth, gameplay, ect... takes quite a bit of time. I've known people who's minds were literally blown simply because I tried to explain the game... they couldn't comprehend it. I would just tell them to try it, which they did... and addicted they became.

I could go on and on to explain every single minor detail why PS is better, but I do not have the time. You'll just have to take my word for it. Everything from micromanaging your character with custom loadouts for a whole slew of different situations, to coordinating truly massive atacks with armor columns and air craft, to the very teamwork, skill, and comradery that the game inforces... nothing can touch that.

And if you haven't already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Twyfcncurg

Dude, this post is awesome. I honestly couldn't tell if you were joking or not until I read the rest of the thread. PLanetSide 2 looks pretty good and all.. but damn. It's like a preemptive defense against some argument that may or may not happen. And really, there's no need to slam other games that are arguably different. I'm sure I'll try out PS2 and Firefall. Perhaps ease up a bit; this is borderline GW2 shit. Seriously head over to that forum and try to say something negative... see if you make it out alve. lol

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by cdestey

Dust 514 will fail because it's a PS3 only title, tied to a PC title that 99.9% of PS3 owners have never heard of. Making it just another in the glut of FPS's that are released every year on the console. It'll disappear from memories in a couple months, when the next COD or Battlefield hits RedBox, only to be found in bargain bins from then on.

honestly SOE would have to seriously screw up the game to not do better than DUST... which even now has been pretty much ruled out as being of any consequence (even by Eve players who could care less about it as its not on the PC anyway..) and firefall just isnt in the same category anyway..  as long as PS2 avoids the pitfalls that SOE created in PS1 then it will be a good enough game to outshine any other FPS multiplayer game out there...  just hope theres no BFR's this time.. that would be ... bad.. image

The main difference between Dust 514 and Planetside 2 are CCP and SOE. A few years after their release, Dust 514 will be available on PC/Mac and CCP will still be updating it for a long, long time. SOE on the other hand will put ps2 on maintenance mode while working on planetside 3.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Greenzor

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by cdestey

Dust 514 will fail because it's a PS3 only title, tied to a PC title that 99.9% of PS3 owners have never heard of. Making it just another in the glut of FPS's that are released every year on the console. It'll disappear from memories in a couple months, when the next COD or Battlefield hits RedBox, only to be found in bargain bins from then on.

honestly SOE would have to seriously screw up the game to not do better than DUST... which even now has been pretty much ruled out as being of any consequence (even by Eve players who could care less about it as its not on the PC anyway..) and firefall just isnt in the same category anyway..  as long as PS2 avoids the pitfalls that SOE created in PS1 then it will be a good enough game to outshine any other FPS multiplayer game out there...  just hope theres no BFR's this time.. that would be ... bad.. image

The main difference between Dust 514 and Planetside 2 are CCP and SOE. A few years after their release, Dust 514 will be available on PC/Mac and CCP will still be updating it for a long, long time. SOE on the other hand will put ps2 on maintenance mode while working on planetside 3.

PS2 will be f2p SOE will be drawing revenue from it for a very long time.  Maintence mode is something i find funny you want SOE to pump money into PS1 when they cant get the investment back ?  Or to any other game they put in maintence mode ?   They keep the games up for the FANS yet get slammed for doing so.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Hey OP,

I should think you or a lot of people would be surprise how good Firefall is.

I predict you would play PS2 and Firefall too.

I would be playing on and off PS2, Firefall, GW2 and Archeage.

Should I be buying xp potions?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

We'll have to wait and see. I didn't play PS1 but PS2 is definately on my radar. I will say straight up though that I'm not overly confident in Sony...especialy in terms of hacking and account security. I'm not writing them off automaticaly...but pretty much anything with a Sony name attached to it is on a "Prove it to me, don't tell me about it" basis these days.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Zeemer

Pretty much breaks down like this. If you like MMOFPS genre you will be playing one of these three games. If you primarily like PvE you will play Firefall. If you like open end World PVP! You will play planetside. If you cant afford a computer and already own a playstation, you will be playing dust 514.

That said. I love planetside and I count the days until this games release. I will most likely buy a new computer and cancel many dates with friends in the name of the New Conglomerate. 

Yes, all of three are promising. Firefall looks very interesting, although it would have been better for me with Open PvP; Dust entices mainly through the integration with EVE and the future possibilities, but I'm going to play it only if it comes out on PC.

PlanetSide 2 looks great, if the alpha trailers is any indication. Anyway, MMOFPS subgenre is going to boom this year.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Agreed OP.  Neither of those games will offer what PS2 does. Or even PS1 for that matter.  

Firefall has the PvE focus and small PvP matches that Planetside doesn't even mess with. Not to say those are bad things, but they make the game very different. PS has no PvE or instanced PvP.  Totally different beast for an MMOFPS.

Dust is a console shooter. Nuff said IMO.  Not sure how big the matches are, but they are just that. Matches. Theres persistence there, and I think it will be "closer" to Planetside than Firefall, but again, a totally different beast. I don't even know if it really is an MMO at all (it doesn't seem like it). 

Planetside will offer something that no other FPS, MMO, or MMOFPS will be offering at the time. Hell, Planetside 1 still offers a gameplay style that no other FPS can offer.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by xmenty

Hey OP,

I should think you or a lot of people would be surprise how good Firefall is.

I predict you would play PS2 and Firefall too.

I would be playing on and off PS2, Firefall, GW2 and Archeage.

Should I be buying xp potions?

I don't think that anyone is seriously saying Firefall is going to be a bad game.  

The thing is, it is nothing like Planetside. They are VERY different games.  I'm excited for Firefall, but I can say that if PS2 were to launch before it, it wouldn't even be on my radar. Not because it's a bad game, but because the gameplay style I want (and have wanted since I stopped playing Planetside) is Planetside 2.

There are many games that I have tried since Planetside with the hopes of getting that feeling back, and none have lived up to the standard set by PS. Many devs have claimed to have made "MMOFPS" games since then, but none have really captured what I believe the genre should be about. They are mostly arena shooters with instanced matches, like Global Agenda, Firefall, etc that also focus on PvE content. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Everyone knows Dust514 is going to fail no matter how good it is, because it's console only when Eve is a PC game.  A pretty stupid move by CCP really.  Anyone who wants to play an MMOFPS is going to pick Planetside 2 because it's the only real option.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

So Firefall NDA dropped, WHO STILL THINKS ITS ITS IN COMPETITION WITH PS2?!?!...LAWL.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Originally posted by skyexile

So Firefall NDA dropped, WHO STILL THINKS ITS ITS IN COMPETITION WITH PS2?!?!...LAWL.

Yep. I pretty much already knew this, but now it's plain as day to see.

Firefall is an attempt to take traditional MMORPGs and add FPS combat to it. Quests, PvE, instanced PvP, etc. It is an MMOFPS in the sense that  MMORPG + FPS combat = MMOFPS.

Personally, my definition of MMOFPS = Planetside. Firefall is not even the same kind of game at all.  TF2 style PvP is great and all, but it is apples and oranges when compared to Planetside. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Ok, just got into Firefall beta a week or so ago.

It's a fun game. It's not even close to what I expect out of Planetside. If you think these games are competing, think again.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I have a few buddies playing Firefall. My Corp in EVE is passing out beta keys and getting lots of other people involved. When I see the gameplay it makes me long for Planetside 2 :)