Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else still waiting for that "something special" before they buy in?

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

Currently, I have seen all the information that has been offered on the winternet pertaining to beta.

Not a single thing seems even remotely interesting atm. I am banking on the fact that Anet is holding back some information or footage that will be revealed closer to launch to actually make me want to buy this game.

As of now however, I have no will to buy it whatsoever.

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

Comments

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Nope, you're not.  I'm very skeptical as well.  But I'm a sucker for a nice-looking game, and I have to admit, the environment looks pretty great.  I'm hoping that the world is actually as open as it looks.  I'm a bit meh regarding the dynamic events.  I think they'll be okay for a while, but to be honest, I'm not finding them much different than a standard quest chain in stages.  The fact that you'll have to explore to find them is a plus, I guess, but I'm not overly optimistic that it's going to be the be-all and end-all like a lot of the GW2 fans think it is.  

Still, I'm going to give the game a try based solely on the way the world looks.  I'm intrigued by that.  I don't ever see the game becoming my main MMO, though.  

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Oh boy the GW2 white knights are going to come ridiing in on their noble steed soon to roast you.

But just to let you know, there isn't really anything left to show or reveal. Given the press non NDA you can pretty much see everything there is too the game(DEs, Dungeons,  Combat and WvWvW).

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Monorojo

Currently, I have seen all the information that has been offered on the winternet pertaining to beta.

Not a single thing seems even remotely interesting atm. I am banking on the fact that Anet is holding back some information or footage that will be revealed closer to launch to actually make me want to buy this game.

I know there are a lot of fanboys of this game who are already going crazy about it and calling it the best thing since slice bread. Am I really the only one that is a bit skeptical still?

Maybe you should read about what is in the game instead of making random assumptions about a P2W cash shop or that GW2 with be a carebear game with no goals, nothing worth doing, and a fanbase who is blind to these gaping holes in the game's design that they obviously will regret buying the game.

...or maybe you just don't like the game...Your posting history wasn't too clear about which of these 2 options you might fall under.

Edit: Oh, and as previously stated, there isn't going to be some super special feature that they haven't announced.  It is partly because Anet has been so open about what is in the game working that we have had a really good idea of what the game looks like, plays like, and sounds like for 2 years.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

Only ones who calling the shots [best thing since slice bread or upcoming mmo saviour] is you stupid people since you guys love to put words into other people's mouth. Other than that, I'm buying the game and among other games such as D3, Bioshock, RE6, etc. Why limit yourself to one game.

I'm still waiting on Funcom to release more footage and so far I'm not buying into their game until they're little bit more transparent like A-Net and Archage has been. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I liked what I saw, so I'm going to order the game. However, I'm not going to pre-order without a launch date.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

For me that "something special" will be how the game stands 3-6 monbths after launch.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Skuz

For me that "something special" will be how the game stands 3-6 monbths after launch.

Very wise of you.  I would normally be of the same mind, but I have been waiting for GW2 for 5 years...I don't want to wait 3 to 6 months more for a game that blew me away when I tried the demo at a convention.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Will preorder and will play it. Just seems like a nice game to me. And no,..its not gonna solve problems in the world, but hey, its just a game :) If i dont like it...just moving on.

• L3nnyGpL3nnyGp Member UncommonPosts: 153

GW2 looks to be a well made B2P game I'd play and enjoy for some time:    Check here    For information on GW2 (It's alot).

I understand though... I'm usually skeptical / cynical to new MMOs, especially for ones I haven't played. Ya never know...

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

i am just happy to have put in some game time to know what i am getting into. Liked it was 90% sure of preordering now it is 100 %. Only thing that scares me and i am hoping and well i am kinda sure it will be done is the game get more optimized cause it might not make too much difference to people in Europe and US where the servers recide but for people playing from a far, the connectivity and latency and always priority in any online game.

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

I am not like OHGODGW2AWESOMEAWESOME excited, but I am still planning on pre-purchasing because it looks cool and I like the stuff they have done with it. I like the artwork too. I am still a bit worried about the game failing though.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

As long as the promise of gear-independent PvP still stands, I don't really need anytrhing else. (Well, *constant* 60 FPS would be nice even if on min settings. Don't care about gfx in a multiplayer game.)

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

No. As others have stated, A-Net have been very open regarding the details of the game and with the recent betas pretty much every feature is out in the open.  The only changes will be just that, edits and improvements of features already implemented in the game.  If the games current features havent caught you're attention then I'm afraid the game just isnt your taste.

One thing that many people need to come to terms with is if they have been playing mmos for a while, there is not going to be any new game to come out that will be better for them than there first mmo love.  It''s hard for people to admit, but its true.  Their frist good mmo experience will be the one that they remember and long for it to be recreated.  It's just not going to happen though.  There isn't gonna be a SWG2 or UO2, please just move on.

And on a final note why can't people just accept the fact that this will be great game.  It wont be the holy grail and it wont be a pile of crap.  Can't we just accept that this game may be a little or quite a bit better than the mediocre titles that have come out in the last 5 years?  Why does it have to be either the "best thing since sliced bread" or a "failure"?  Why cant it just be somewhere in the middle?:  A good game worth playing and a progression in the right direction for the genre.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The game is not going to appeal to everyone. If there is nothing about the game that grabs you then don't play it. It's perfectly ok to do that. There are a lot of other games out there. I mean a lot of the popular games don't appeal to me so I won't play them. The nice thing is that there are a great many choice of games to choose from. Find one that you like and don't worry about the ones in which you don't like.

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by Randallt3mp

No. As others have stated, A-Net have been very open regarding the details of the game and with the recent betas pretty much every feature is out in the open.  The only changes will be just that, edits and improvements of features already implemented in the game.  If the games current features havent caught you're attention then I'm afraid the game just isnt your taste.

One thing that many people need to come to terms with is if they have been playing mmos for a while, there is not going to be any new game to come out that will be better for them than there first mmo love.  It''s hard for people to admit, but its true.  Their frist good mmo experience will be the one that they remember and long for it to be recreated.  It's just not going to happen though.  There isn't gonna be a SWG2 or UO2, please just move on.

And on a final note why can't people just accept the fact that this will be great game.  It wont be the holy grail and it wont be a pile of crap.  Can't we just accept that this game may be a little or quite a bit better than the mediocre titles that have come out in the last 5 years?  Why does it have to be either the "best thing since sliced bread" or a "failure"?  Why cant it just be somewhere in the middle?:  A good game worth playing and a progression in the right direction for the genre.

but your medioca is someone elses good or great, how good a game is to someone is so subjective no one person is correct, but i do agree with what you are saying.

i do however see a huge fallout on these forums and possibly others once the game goes live as it can in no way match some peoples expectations and they will be on every GW2 forums flaming away, just look at the last big release everyone who has followed that game should have known what type of game it was going to be yet people still expected more.

on a personal note i was not bothered about GW2 at all having played the first one quite a bit but after watch quite a lot of the first release of beta vids the other month and reading up on the game it did change my opinion and i am now hoping the game does play as well as it looks in all the beta vids that are doing the rounds, but until "we" get to play it then you just never know.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Though I'm interested in the game, I'm still quite skeptical. This is more of a result of past MMORPGs promising much but not living up to it. However, I'm feeling a bit better about this game simply due to the fact that they're releasing information and allowing gameplay videos and what not. Previous MMOs say a bunch of things, but there were barely any straight-up gameplay videos and not a lot of details. When the time comes, and I actually pick up the game, I'm dissapointed.

Anyways, with the amount of information they allow out, it tells me that they have confidence in their game. However, I won't jump on the hype train, and I'll be maintaining my skepticism until I'm able to play the game myself. That being said, I don't believe they're holding back anything, at least for release. If the features, don't really interest you, then it's just not your cup of tea.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

No. As others have stated, A-Net have been very open regarding the details of the game and with the recent betas pretty much every feature is out in the open.

I beg to differ. Just look at Swtor: it had a closed beta for a long while and before the NDA dropped, the preordering had started. All beta's had been chopped up in small portions and we had very little information from long term AND max level testers; i.e. what is the game like when you played it thoroughly for over a month?

It's the same with GW2 at this moment: through the recent press embargo drop we've just seen short impressions of little chunks of content and low level gameplay (of not all races), but there's still a great number of unknowns.

In SWTOR's case, those unknowns proved to be crucial (and negative, in my case). I really think we should at least wait for the reports of long term testers, and for some things we can only wait until the game has launched to be really sure;

Will there be queues in WvW? How long will loading screens be for the average player? What will they sell in the "definitive" cash shop at launch? What kind of advantages will CS users really have? What's class balance like? Will WvW hugely favor ranged AoE classes? Are most of the DE's really a fresh breath of air or will most of them be like this:

There are more questions but you catch my drift.

*snip*

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Not really.  Despite a few concerns I have, it looks like the best attempt at making something deep and fulfilling in the MMO genre in years and I'm buying into it without question simply because of that.  If I'm disappointed, hey, I've spent as much money on games I beat in 2 weeks.  The value to me is off the charts.

Come on April 10th.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

You've started 5 previous threads in the GW2 forum, titled...

"So can we call GW2 the ultimate care bear MMO?"  (locked)

"LF1M DPS ResurrectionOrb required"

"So what are the benefits of a Pay to Win game like GW2?" (locked)

"So if you love healing, avoid this game like the plague, right?"

and "So what exactly will keep people playing?"

And then you continue the trend by insulting the people who would have taken the time to give you a thoughful answer to your question.

I see no reason why anyone should give this thread any serious consideration whatsoever.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

OP

Well if you haven't find your personal special in GW2 til now

then I suggest you to skip the game.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i also have been waiting for GW2 (i call it Gold wars since the shops) and hoped for a good game with the B2P model.

Then they swallowed their own words and changed some words in their statements (search on this forum and you will find) that there would be a shop BUT ONLY COSMETICS.....then they changed that again and now the game seems to be B2W shop......yeah yeah i know about the karma.....but ALL THE REST can be bought so people who do spend money on the shops will be OP because they get their gear faster.

For those who wil say it aint about the gear.......try w vs w naked and prove it once the game is out ok.....i would like to see that b4 i believe it.....if gear has no meaning, then what's the use of questing and raiding???

I am going D3 (at least there i still have a choice if i want to use the RMT or not instead of crawling back on their words).

just MHO

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Their frist good mmo experience will be the one that they remember and long for it to be recreated. 

I guess I'm good at moving on because I liked WAR at least as much as I liked WoW. Maybe even more.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by oubers

[...]so people who do spend money on the shops will be OP because they get their gear faster[...]

There is always a guy who earn his gear faster than you.

The horror!

Not going to matter in the first 1-2 weeks anyway - to sell gems

for ingame gold first you need someone who earned that amount of gold.

If you choose to skip that 1-2 weeks (just for the sake of selling gems) you

are already in time disatvantage.

Makes no sense IMO.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Just because this is the next "big" MMO, doesn't mean that you have to jump on the bandwagon and play it. If there is really nothing about this game that excites, or even interests you, maybe you should give this one a pass.

TSW is being released soon and TERA and Planetside 2 and probably a number of others I can't think of right now. Maybe one of them will be to your liking.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by wowfan1996

[mod edit]

Not every SWTOR fanboy is a lost cause. There's a certain pony that is close to the edge. Just a little push and we can draw him to the dark side!