Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Guild Wars 2 - Why World vs. World Will Rule

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by EricDanie

Originally posted by mbeach90266

Anonymity in PvP is a big let down

I want to earn a name for myself, I want to be able to hunt down someone who's earned a name for themselves, I want to be able to exact revenge upon someone who got the kill on me.

None of that can happen if you can't see someone's name.

I don't like the anonymity factor either, but I guess the reputation will go for Guild tags.

It seems player reputation will be exclusive to structured PvP.

I think they really need to add in guild tags in the form of an image that are viewable in game, I would love to get to know what guilds do what and who to look out for.

TERA may be a completely different niche than GW2 but they have it so a little image you can upload for your guild appears beside your name, just in the BETA guilds have already earned huge reputations, made rivals and made friends because the image is so distinguishable. It's a really great feature the game has in my opinion and it creates a bigger sense of community, something all MMOS are lacking these days.

That being said I am pretty interested in how WvW plays out and look forward to playing it with my guild.

Guild emblems are in Guild Wars 2, which is essentially the kind of thing you are talking about. You will be able to "fly your colors" over conquered keeps and wear the emblem on shields and other equipment. With that level of visibility, all you'll need is the tag next to your name to associate it with the huge flag flying over the keep the guilds are defending to make the connection.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by DarkPony

Over population is the biggest threat I guess, because WvW is by far the biggest appeal to GW2 in the pvp department. If I have to wait an hour before getting into WvW on my own server I'd be really frustrated. Really curious about what the player cap will be and how soon it will be reached on an average server.

100% agree, this is the downfall of GW2 pvp, in the name of keeping it "playable" If anyoen one thing will be a massive detractor from thegame its that its not open world pvp.

Another potential downside is the ability to buy Influence for gold and buy appealing guild boosts with that. This might give bigger and richer guilds another edge over members of smaller or poorer guilds.

What? You mean bigger guilds can do more, the horror. Is that really a critical comment or you complaining about math. Hey guys big guilds will have avantages , you don't say. Who would'a thunk it.

I'll add one of my own.

The class system is shit. It 100% undeiniable. People atm might think nahh its not that bad... believe me you'll see that it is after a month or two.

It easy to understand why tho. Lack of diversity. Which seems odd seeing as every classes is massivly diverse, with the ability to fullfill any role or the lack there of roles. In this way there is no real diversity between classes in function, just play (which is at least nice).

They should have just taken another page from old mmos and made highly diverse and specializable classes/characters. (So that there is a reason to work together for greater outcome, there is replay value, and from one toon to the next the game experinces differs largely).

Da hell? lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553

I gotta say the part about the unknown encounter in pvp / world vs. world is spot on. One of the things that made DaoC great was that roaming pvp, searching for groups, stragglers,, flanking the zerg and surprise hits. Brings about a rush every other mmo has failed to capture with their crappy scenarios and battlegrounds.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Keep in mind that you are you fighting certain servers for 2 weeks. After that you are put against servers closer to your server ranking. So if you are afraid that you keep getting overpowered by that same server, they are put against better servers next dual week, and your server against lower ranking server. So every 2 weeks new opponents (unless you are part of top/bottom 3 servers of course :p ).

As for balance. Balance will be sought after mainly for the 5vs5 structured PVP. That is the 'e-sports'. WvWvW is obviously unbalanced (in numbers) because you never know how many enemies you will encounter. But classes will still be balanced because of structured PVP. WvWvW is mainly a fun gank/zerg fest. It is your Spartaaaaa! moment :p Good luck to any guild trying to structure that chaos lol.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

3.) The Three Faction System.

I just wish the developers could budge a bit more creativity and make it so you can actually fight races and classes that are different from yours.  Three factions in daoc was awesome, they also had 44 classes and 24 races. 

This wil lbe your Sylvari, Humn, Norn, etc vs their SYlvari, Human, Norn.  That's so darn bland.  But meh, this is as good as it gets these days.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by someforumguy

Keep in mind that you are you fighting certain servers for 2 weeks. After that you are put against servers closer to your server ranking. So if you are afraid that you keep getting overpowered by that same server, they are put against better servers next dual week, and your server against lower ranking server. So every 2 weeks new opponents (unless you are part of top/bottom 3 servers of course :p ).

As for balance. Balance will be sought after mainly for the 5vs5 structured PVP. That is the 'e-sports'. WvWvW is obviously unbalanced (in numbers) because you never know how many enemies you will encounter. But classes will still be balanced because of structured PVP. WvWvW is mainly a fun gank/zerg fest. It is your Spartaaaaa! moment :p Good luck to any guild trying to structure that chaos lol.

The pvp guilds will find ways to organize things and have the guilds/groups assigned certain tasks/areas, while random people that jump in will run random and gank/attack whomever or join up to help the guilds. It will get structured to some degree. One guild in chareg of supply, one defending keep, one attacking other keeps/objective, one doing DE's/PvE to ehlp (like the Ogre npc's recruiting thing i read about), etc. They will communicate and get it somewhat organized.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

*snip

Another potential downside is the ability to buy Influence for gold and buy appealing guild boosts with that. This might give bigger and richer guilds another edge over members of smaller or poorer guilds.

What? You mean bigger guilds can do more, the horror. Is that really a critical comment or you complaining about math. Hey guys big guilds will have avantages , you don't say. Who would'a thunk it.

*snap*

Nah, don't mean that; of course larger guilds will have advantages: sheer numbers, organization and more supplies trickling in for their keeps. That's all fine and like it should be. But I was talking about the extra advantage they get by buying influence directly with gold (which can also be generated through selling Gems you got in the cash shop), and getting all the best guild boosts up.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

yeah yeah....gold wars 2 will do fine.....i turned away when the shops came.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Auto attack auto target is not interesting, still as dull as the PVP you found in other RPG MMO's of the past.  Planetside 2 for me over this dull auto tab target PVP.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

*snip

*snap*

Nah, don't mean that; of course larger guilds will have advantages: sheer numbers, organization and more supplies trickling in for their keeps. That's all fine and like it should be. But I was talking about the extra advantage they get by buying influence directly with gold (which can also be generated through selling Gems you got in the cash shop), and getting all the best guild boosts up.

The simple fact is that big guilds don't have to purchase influence. They get enough of it just by playing the game. Everything you and your guildmates do in the game adds influence so the more active members you have, the more influence you get.

Watch this video and you'll see just how much influence you get. You contribute aproximately 21 influence for each completed event. You contribute about 2.1 influence for each solo task and apparently 110 influence for winning a PvP match. Although I think that the guild in the video had +10% influence in PvP buffs running, so the unbuffed number is actually less. But it doesn't even matter because if you have 10 members doing events, you get ~210 influence per event. Most of the temporary bonuses, including the WvWvW ones, cost about 200 influence each. So just 10 members just playing the game and completing 1 event each buys you 1 temporary guild buff. Now what if a guild had 50 or 100 members?

The purchase of influence via gold is more useful for smaller guilds who do not have enough members to accumulate influence at a fast rate.

And who cares, really? A month or so down the line, almost all major guilds will have all of the most important influence bonuses anyway. So what if one of them gets a head start?

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by oubers

yeah yeah....gold wars 2 will do fine.....i turned away when the shops came.

You may as well give up on MMOs then, because you cannot get one without a sub or a CS. Even the F2P games have CS's.

*snip

*snap*

Which adds up to exactly nothing....

Any advantage said guild had, will be lost withing days, and doesnt even hurt the other guilds, because your not fighting them, your fighting the other servers.

Seriously, why would you be upset becasue a guild on your server got top level before yours did? Makes no difference at all, even in PvE....lol

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg.

Pass.

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by someforumguy

The pvp guilds will find ways to organize things and have the guilds/groups assigned certain tasks/areas, while random people that jump in will run random and gank/attack whomever or join up to help the guilds. It will get structured to some degree. One guild in chareg of supply, one defending keep, one attacking other keeps/objective, one doing DE's/PvE to ehlp (like the Ogre npc's recruiting thing i read about), etc. They will communicate and get it somewhat organized.

Thats exactly how we did it in DAOC, and we would switch it up during the day so people wouldnt get bored.

I always prefered covering choke points and setting up ambushes.   :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by karmath

Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg.

Pass.

Not likely.  People are different, and have different goals and strategies.  My friends and I plan on avoiding big groups to earn glory and have fun on smaller objectives.  All players on the server are not necessarily going to stick together.  In fact, from most opinions I've read, everyone's got their own plan in mind.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Originally posted by Eir_S

Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg.

Pass.

Not likely.  People are different, and have different goals and strategies.  My friends and I plan on avoiding big groups to earn glory and have fun on smaller objectives.  All players on the server are not necessarily going to stick together.  In fact, from most opinions I've read, everyone's got their own plan in mind.

So did everyone before and during WAR, my alliance tried to keep it quiet when we were going to go for a fort but it ended up a massive zerg lagfest pretty quickly regardless.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg.

Pass.

So did everyone before and during WAR, my alliance tried to keep it quiet when we were going to go for a fort but it ended up a massive zerg lagfest pretty quickly regardless.

Thats because WAR blew it, the PvP mechanics were so messed up, there were few strategies to use in WAR becuase of it, you were stuck doing one or two things.

In DAOC smaller groups did do well. Since GW2 is built on the same system, and it has many small objectives specifically for smaller guilds/groups, they should do even better.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

And that's why there is three sides in the fight. It's going to be awesome!

• LaztorWLaztorW Member Posts: 3

Please take this guy off PvP articles; it's clearly not his thing.

*snip

*snap*

Not to be a giant fanboy (I will admit to it to some degree), but gold selling is prevalent in damn near every game whether it is sanctioned by the devs or not. From a business perspective, why not cash in on something third parties are reaping from your product? 

I will agree that I don't see the point of selling influence for gold, could you point to the supporting link?

Nevermind, I see it's in the official wiki. I guess it's a gold sync, but imo you're right and gold being used to buy influence should be axed.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by LaztorW

Nevermind, I see it's in the official wiki. I guess it's a gold sync, but imo you're right and gold being used to buy influence should be axed.

Ah ok. Just looked it up for you, here's the link anyway: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Promoter

Seeing how many useful buffs you can get for inf it might be a very important factor in WvW.

• baykes112baykes112 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Doesnt matter what you Guys do. Item mall destroyed this game before it comes out...

Biggest  Epic Fail of history of mankind. WvW or more systems wont save this game,close the item mall idea, that WILL.

Dont try to fool people with other subjects please..

Bye Bye fail company, promise something afterwards changing to item mall system..

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

What I'm afraid of for WvW is exactly what his video showed. Lots and lots of PvE instead of PvP. I suck at PvP and I would much rather die alot to other people than siege keeps against NPC's. I did enough of that in WAR.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by baykes112

Doesnt matter what you Guys do. Item mall destroyed this game before it comes out...

Biggest  Epic Fail of history of mankind. WvW or more systems wont save this game,close the item mall idea, that WILL.

Dont try to fool people with other subjects please..

Bye Bye fail company, promise something afterwards changing to item mall system..

Really? And why does an item mall make it fail instantly? Because it has the name "Cash shop"?  Because thats the only realistic reason you could use at this point and if thats the case dont expect to be taken seriously by anyone.

No one knows what will be in the CS untill its launched. Anet even said to ignore the leak for now because they arent even sure whats going to be in it yet. I didnt like what I saw but I will withold judgement on it till the game is launched.