Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which games do you believe have the best music?

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

as the topic simply goes with games and not mmorpg's i have to say the Final Fantasy series, with Nobuo Uematsu as the composer.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

My list...

1. Pirates of the Burning Sea

2. WoW

3. LotRO

4. AoC

• omega78omega78 Member UncommonPosts: 260

As long as we're talking single player games as well...

ALL of the Shin Megami Tensei games, Shoji Meguro is simply amazing.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Jeremy Soule does great music for the Dawn of War games, as well as the Elder Scrolls and GW1 and 2.. and something else I'm forgetting.  

Specific games though, in the MMORPG genre, I'd have to say WoW has some amazing and catchy songs.  Very well done.

Some people liked the SWTOR music, but I didn't because it was just rehashed stuff from all of the previous Star Wars movies and shows.  I prefer an all-original soundtrack.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Eir_S

Jeremy Soule does great music for the Dawn of War games, as well as the Elder Scrolls and GW1 and 2.. and something else I'm forgetting.  

Specific games though, in the MMORPG genre, I'd have to say WoW has some amazing and catchy songs.  Very well done.

Some people liked the SWTOR music, but I didn't because it was just rehashed stuff from all of the previous Star Wars movies and shows.  I prefer an all-original soundtrack.

I've heard there are around 5 hours of work that was done orginally for TOR. THe rest is a mash up between, KOTOR music and some Star Wars music, the og music is slim compared to the rest.

My vote has to go to Skyrim (TES in general morrowind's main them will forever be stuck in my head) and AOC as my favorite RPG music. A lot of it captures the feel of some of my favorite old Mythology movies/ as well as 60's era greek and roman flicks, with a tad of Sinbad thrown in. Just love it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

I'm going to have to look up the AoC soundtrack, so many people are listing it and I only played the game for a week or so.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

My favorite subject, I LOVE good video game music.

1.  Age of Conan - whole soundtrack is great

2.  World of Warcraft - same thing, whole soundtrack is awesome

3.  FFXI - Whole soundtrack as well

4.  LOTRO - here is where it divides a bit.  There are some fantastic pieces but some, like the North Downs and Lonelands music...just atrocious.

5.  Vanguard - Same thing, some pieces are awesome, others not so much

6.  Everquest 2 - Again, same thing as Lotro and VG

7.  Guild Wars - Awesome music, cant' wait to hear even more from Jeremy Soule in GW2

8.  Honorable mention for a few good pieces but horrible games - Aion, Warhammer

9.  Last but not least Rift and SWTOR, the music doesn't play often enough, but the soundtrack shows it's there and is good for both games.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted (formerly Horizons)  had some really nice music

and Age of Conan as well.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

MMO wise FFXI and FFXIV.  

Guess I never really pay attention to music much.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

So many mentioned AOC, and it had been so long since I played the game I couldn't recall the music. So I listened to ,"The Dreaming,Memories Of Crimeria" from that game. In a word it is stunning.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• KhetnenKhetnen Member Posts: 16

Jeremy Soule's music in Guild Wars 1 and 2 and all other games listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Soule

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

1. Phantasy Star Online (My avatar should be a dead giveaway. After all these years, I'm still obsessed, heh. VR Spaceship, anyone?)

2. Age of Conan (The soundtrack to this game took my breath away.)

3. Aion

4. Guild Wars (Not trying to be a parrot, but Jeremy Soule is awesome.)

5. Star Wars: The Old Republic (Ironically, this game has no option to loop the soundtrack.)

6. World of Warcraft (I can b*tch as much as I like about the overall game, but Ashenvale and Teldrassil still stand as two of my favorite tracks I've heard in an online game thus far. Cataclysm's soundtrack was pretty amazing also.)

7. Dark Souls (Perhaps not technically an MMORPG, but it is an cooperative online RPG, just as PSO was.)

8. Everquest II

9. EVE Online

10. Final Fantasy XI

While I've played (or sampled, rather) quite a few additional MMOs, the games listed definitely stand as my top ten in terms of their soundtracks. I'm one of those people who DOES listen to the in game soundtrack, sometimes long after I'm no longer mesmerized by the gameplay itself.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

( Double post. )

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

1. wow

2. wow

3. wow

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I'm going to have to look up the AoC soundtrack, so many people are listing it and I only played the game for a week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC554j9gJ0

This gets me every time. Always stop to listen and then some spoty 13 year old cuts my head off:)

Originally posted by spookydom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC554j9gJ0

This gets me every time. Always stop to listen and then some spoty 13 year old cuts my head off:)

Wow, that IS really pretty, definitely not what I'd expect outside of a cut scene.  I think I'd have a hard time staying in the mood for mayhem with such a soothing song playing, myself. lol

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

AoC tops my list for sure.

Guild Wars is the runner up for me.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Guild Wars and Skyrim.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Most of WoW music I'm not all that fond of, but 2 cuts are favorites.  Orc music in Barrens, Cello in Eversong Woods.

Other than that most games I turn the music off and listen to a stream in the background.  A few are really bad, with mellow sappy music during traveling and then pounding guitar techno for combat.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

As far as MMOs go, SWTOR...Most of the music is by the greatest film composer the world has ever seen: John Williams.

Doesn't really count though since the music was taken from the films and not composed specifically for the game.

The music that isn't by JW in TOR is average.

Bill Brown's score for Lineage 2 is very nice too.

AoC music is crap, all synths and samples, no real orchestra + amateur compositions/themes. (can't blame them for the no orchestra part though, costs a fortune, only NCsoft, EA, Activision can afford it and even then , not always)

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

Easily Chrono Trigger.

Edit: Yep I know it was mmo scores but man Chrono Triggers score is second to none.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Touhou for having the single most remixed, remastered, and reimagined franchise soundtrack to date. Especially with the heavy-ness of C81.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

If we're just talking good sounding music in general, there are many mmos with a good score.

If we're talking music that fits the theme and enhances the overall game experience though, I have to say no other mmos have stuck with me as strongly as FFXI and FFXIV. Despite how long its been since I've played FFXI, I can still recall the music and images of Rolanberry Fields, Bastok and Sarutabaruta. 

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Without a doubt FFXI, and Planetside. Planetsides music was amazing and epic, where FFXI s music just fit the game better then any game I know.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by elocke

My favorite subject, I LOVE good video game music.

1.  Age of Conan - whole soundtrack is great

2.  World of Warcraft - same thing, whole soundtrack is awesome

3.  FFXI - Whole soundtrack as well

4.  LOTRO - here is where it divides a bit.  There are some fantastic pieces but some, like the North Downs and Lonelands music...just atrocious.

5.  Vanguard - Same thing, some pieces are awesome, others not so much

6.  Everquest 2 - Again, same thing as Lotro and VG

7.  Guild Wars - Awesome music, cant' wait to hear even more from Jeremy Soule in GW2

8.  Honorable mention for a few good pieces but horrible games - Aion, Warhammer

9.  Last but not least Rift and SWTOR, the music doesn't play often enough, but the soundtrack shows it's there and is good for both games.

Rather than typing my own list, I will take this one.....along with all the fame and glory it entails! :D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"