Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auction house will be awesome.

FezVizziniFezVizzini Member Posts: 24

One of the things that I always like to do in mmos is to play the auction house to try to accumulate as much currency as I can. Imagine my delight to recently find out that the GW2 auction house will be global over all the servers. Awesome !

Am mmo economy will always benefit from the number of players that it gets and in normal mmos if you end up on a low population server (not that I suspect that will be a problem in GW2) then the economy tends to be poor with not a lot of activity on the AH. A global economy will be just brilliant.

You will also be able to transfer currency from a toon on one server to one on a different one by placing an item on the AH for a stupidly large price and buying it with the rich toon. OK, you will loose whatever commission is charged but that not too bad. Many people use this method already to transfer funds between toons in different factions in WOW or Rift for example.

I also very much like the that you will be able to place orders on the AH for other people to fulfill. I'm not sure how the game is going to enforce orders are going to be honored though. Would be a bit annoying if you make a rare item only to find that the person who ordered it then didn't want it anymore.

Roll on release date so I can start the long haul to become the games 1st millionaire !!!

Comments

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Your characters share bank space, and your home server is account-locked, so that's a pretty convoluted way to transfer funds.

When you place an order, you pay the money up front. The Trading Post stores it (as it does for items on sale) until either someone accepts it or it expires. If it expires, you're refunded.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by FezVizzini

One of the things that I always like to do in mmos is to play the auction house to try to accumulate as much currency as I can. Imagine my delight to recently find out that the GW2 auction house will be global over all the servers. Awesome !

Am mmo economy will always benefit from the number of players that it gets and in normal mmos if you end up on a low population server (not that I suspect that will be a problem in GW2) then the economy tends to be poor with not a lot of activity on the AH. A global economy will be just brilliant.

You will also be able to transfer currency from a toon on one server to one on a different one by placing an item on the AH for a stupidly large price and buying it with the rich toon. OK, you will loose whatever commission is charged but that not too bad. Many people use this method already to transfer funds between toons in different factions in WOW or Rift for example.

I also very much like the that you will be able to place orders on the AH for other people to fulfill. I'm not sure how the game is going to enforce orders are going to be honored though. Would be a bit annoying if you make a rare item only to find that the person who ordered it then didn't want it anymore.

Roll on release date so I can start the long haul to become the games 1st millionaire !!!

You won't be able to do the second part. You always buy the lowest price offering of an item and you don't see the name of the seller. You have a price chart showing pricing trends and how many of an item are available, but not a full listing of all offerings of the item. Imagine the game trying to push and sort ten thousand listings of a popular resource!

This isn't just a logistics issue, but a way to combat gold sellers.

Also, all your characters share the same Home Server. You can freely visit other servers for PvE content, but your Home Server locks you into a server for World vs. World and the server wide buffs WvW provides.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• FezVizziniFezVizzini Member Posts: 24

Ah OK thanks for setting me straight there. Didn't realise you always bought the lowest and didn't see the seller.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

They will be awesome : )

Better than going to Lions Arch or Kamadan and having to shout for hours just to get someone to see what your selling. THAT SUCKED!!!

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

It also won't be called an "Auction House" because there are no auctions and no bidding. You choose the item you want, and it tells you the item's current selling price, current buying price, the number of items being sold, and the number of items currently on order. It gives you a very good feel for the actual value of an item as well as the current supply and demand.

In the gem store you can apparently see a graph of the value of gems over a five day period. It would be great if this was also the case for items on the Trading Post.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

In the gem store you can apparently see a graph of the value of gems over a five day period. It would be great if this was also the case for items on the Trading Post.

This could kind of cost a lot of storage power...   and did the product even sell on the last 5 days?

My question is:  Will the trading post be global or server based?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• McMoneybagsMcMoneybags Member Posts: 18

One of my favorite passtimes within the passtime that is MMORPGing is dominating the economy. I especially love doing so in games where my pocketbook can impact my in-game buying power, whether it be buying gold from third parties or doing it legitimately by buying from the company itself.

I'm looking forward to powerleveling with boosts and manipulating the gem/gem store item market at launch.

Players should not have an advantage over other players simply because they have put more time into their characters. We are in the new age of capitalism in gaming!

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by McMoneybags

One of my favorite passtimes within the passtime that is MMORPGing is dominating the economy. I especially love doing so in games where my pocketbook can impact my in-game buying power, whether it be buying gold from third parties or doing it legitimately by buying from the company itself.

I'm looking forward to powerleveling with boosts and manipulating the gem/gem store item market at launch.

ah, you're so cute.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

This could kind of cost a lot of storage power...   and did the product even sell on the last 5 days?

My question is:  Will the trading post be global or server based?

The Marketplace is Global. All buy and sell orders are aggregated across all servers and you always buy the lowest price item, across all servers. This is good, as it will make market manipulation by individuals very difficult.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Your forum name and avatar make this post even better.  :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Hehe, a concept poster.

Well done.

People might wonder why you aren't focussing on Diablo3, though. With their real money AH being able to net you an irl profit that should appeal even more to you.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Ok, that's funny lol

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Global market? i must admit i'm a bit amazed too.

• FezVizziniFezVizzini Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hehe, a concept poster.

Well done.

People might wonder why you aren't focussing on Diablo3, though. With their real money AH being able to net you an irl profit that should appeal even more to you.

Forgot about Diablo 3. Real life money would be cool. If anyone is stupid enough to spend real cash for virtual objects then I will certainly make use of them.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I am not sure how the GW2 Global AH will work?

I am going to ASSUME that it will be hard trying to go against the gold sellers at AH,

as they try to grab all the gems at AH.

Gold sellers would want to resell the gems cheaper than Anet. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by xmenty
    I am going to ASSUME that it will be hard trying to go against the gold sellers at AH,

Even if they sell for cheaper which they do in all f2p games anyway, you have to be a bit dump to risk your account being banned by Anet or being hacked/phished by those sellers to gain few $. But i guess you'll always find people ready to take the risk, especially those for which buying from wild rmt became a habit.

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by FezVizzini Forgot about Diablo 3. Real life money would be cool. If anyone is stupid enough to spend real cash for virtual objects then I will certainly make use of them.

Um, you mean like people who buy computer or console games? <.< 

They should ask to pay only for the price of the box (no digital downloads!) and demand that there be no virtual objects in their games. 

It would be stupid to pay for those. 

/sarcasm off

The problem with RTM shops and DLCs is that the price:gain ratio is often completely off and can be abused, not that you pay real money. 

As for the marketplace and auctioning in GW2, I hope there will be enough safeguards to prevent drastic manipulations and artificial inflation. From what I read, that's already the plan, I just hope it will work well enough in the actual game. 

Originally posted by xmenty

It wil be much harder for a gold seller to manipulate the global market, vs. a server wide market. It's a lot easier to corner the market of something on a server with 8,000 players than on a Global Market with potentially Millions of players!

If you decide to Sell Gems on the Marketplace, you can see a graph with the pricing history over the past five days, so players can make a more informed decision on setting their prices. Gems can not be converted back into cash, so I don't know why Gold Sellers would bother with them anyway. IF speculators managed to drive up prices for Gems, guess what, you can always just buy Gems for Cash, so there is a celing.

I expect that selling Gems for Gold probably won't provide a lot of value once prices settle down. The Marketplace Gem traffic may end up being more about the selling of excess gems left over after buying a gem bundle for a cash shop purchase than people paying $$$ for Gems hoping to score mounds of in game gold.

Also for the analogy with D3, i really think those system are very different. In D3 boter/gold seller will get back their money in real life money in the game, be it $ or whatever they use, they don't have to use anything else but ingame features to get payed. In GW2 for them to get back real money you will have to buy from them directly in some web site using real money, in D3, they are pretty much now included in the system, and there is no way you know if you trade with them or not, they are just common players. In GW2 they are still out of the system and need you to trade outside of the game with them.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

This strikes me as the kind of thing that after a couple of patches and a little tweaking will become the standard. Everybody always calls for multi-server PVP in a game. Why not the AH's?  More access is usually a good thing I think.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by FezVizzini

Originally posted by DarkPony

Hehe, a concept poster.

Well done.

Forgot about Diablo 3. Real life money would be cool. If anyone is stupid enough to spend real cash for virtual objects then I will certainly make use of them.

I imagine the folks who prefer to spend real cash for virtual objects view it as thinking if anyone is "stupid enough" to spend all of their free time playing MMORPG's instead of making more money in RL they might as well take advantage of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Everybody calls for multi server pvp?

Err I don't, so it isn't everybody.