Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an In-depth addictive MMORPG

zonovazonova Member Posts: 34

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and i'm wondering if anyone of you can help me find an MMORPG for me to play. I've played a ton of free to play mmorpgs, but i haven't really found one that i can enjoy. Here's what i'm basically looking for:

Alright, so i just want to say that Runescape was possibly the most addicting MMO i've ever played. I don't paly it anymore, and haven't for a few years(Mostly ebcause of the maturity level of the players). But, i really loved the No-Class/Free-Skill progression in the game. I also loved the in-depth economy and crafting system. Quests in the game were not the boring kind, and many of them were exciting. Also, PvP was amazing in the Wilderness. So, if you know of an MMO that has these traits but with nicer graphics, i'd love to know about it.

Those aren't the only things i like though, and i'm definately not looking for a Runescape "clone". I just want something that will  pull me in and hold me there. Another MMO that did this with me was Mabinogi, but unfortunately that game is now over-run with hackers.

So, if any of you can reccomend MMOs with traits like these, or any other MMO that you've found to keep you addicted forever, hopefully one with a nice community, then i'd love to here it. I've heard good thigns about EQ2, but i don't want to have to put up with a lot of "Paying-Member-Only" content. (Also, if it lets you know anything about me, i loved EVE when i played it. I just couldn't afford it at the time)

Comments

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I'm afraid this day and age there aren't any (in my opinion) that fit that bill. I played Everquest 1 for 6 years and since then it's been a lot of bouncing around. I played Vanguard for almost a year but Sony made it pretty apparent that they just bought it to get it out of the way of EQ2, which I also played for a little over a year. Then an on again off again thing with World of Warcraft. Since then I am lucky if I can stand a game for 6 months. Of course they aren't designed for longevity anymore it seems. I mean Rift I played for 6 months and had 4 capped characters, and this is from a guy who plays to enjoy himself, I don't play to get to cap. SWTOR is the same thing all over again, have a hard time even logging in now. Developer's are either so far out of touch with us as gamer's or the publisher's like EA are making them push games out so damn dumbed down they aren't going to last more than 6 months. Very frustrated myself and am losing hope of finding a game that will hold my interest for any real amount of time. Good Luch with your search though.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

closest thing to Runescape is Ryzom its from circa 2002ish I wanna say, but its better graphics, great crafting and skill based leveling only

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

try fallen earth, darkfall, or mortal online.

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Take a look also at Wurm Online, it's not for everyone and will never be a mainstream hit but it isvery addicting for those who fall into this niche sandbox gamestyle, it is somewhat a cross between Minecraft and Runescape.  It's just about as "old school" sandboxy as it is possible to be.  Everything is skill based -- no classes, no quests, almost no NPCs,  no i instant travel or flashy action based gameplay. It takes people literal hours to travel around the world. , it's all player made content and your goals are whatever you set.

You can head out into the wilderness, build a homestead, raise livestock, dabble in winemaking, shipbuilding, dig tunnels and canals, make your own armor & weapons or barter with other players for goods, everything in the game is what the players choose to make it. Be part of a village with other players and share in community-generated projects, or make your own hermit homestead out in the mountains. Separate servers for pvp (epic clusters) or pve (freedom clusters)

Playerbase is made up generally of older gamers so a bit more mature community overall. There are a lot of "old school" refuges from modern themeparks who are unable to find what they want in any other game.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Originally posted by Lowfer69

I'm afraid this day and age there aren't any (in my opinion) that fit that bill. I played Everquest 1 for 6 years and since then it's been a lot of bouncing around. I played Vanguard for almost a year but Sony made it pretty apparent that they just bought it to get it out of the way of EQ2, which I also played for a little over a year. Then an on again off again thing with World of Warcraft. Since then I am lucky if I can stand a game for 6 months. Of course they aren't designed for longevity anymore it seems. I mean Rift I played for 6 months and had 4 capped characters, and this is from a guy who plays to enjoy himself, I don't play to get to cap. SWTOR is the same thing all over again, have a hard time even logging in now. Developer's are either so far out of touch with us as gamer's or the publisher's like EA are making them push games out so damn dumbed down they aren't going to last more than 6 months. Very frustrated myself and am losing hope of finding a game that will hold my interest for any real amount of time. Good Luch with your search though.

Haha this sounds like my story almsot word for word...Instead of Vanguard though I played EQ2 and I only lasted a month in RIft before I was completely bored to tears......SKill based games are pretty hard to find and often end up being FFA PVP which ruins them from teh get go.

• zonovazonova Member Posts: 34

I've looked at Ryzom and Wurm, but the problem with them is that they're are pay to play. Don't et me wrong, i don't mind paying monthly for games, but those games don't really seem to feel as if they're worth the monthly fee. I have to admit though, the idea around Wurm online seems extremely cool.

So, i suppose that EQ2 isn't worth playing? What with it being free to play now, i was debating whether or not i should redownload it and give it a second chance. I guess not

Has anyone else tried Fallen Earth? It looks pretty interesting, though i'm not sure how it lasts over time.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I wounldn't say EQ2 isn't worth playing at all as it a very good game.  I myself played it for a few months but then got bored (mainly because I played WoW for years) and it's very similar.  Both of these games have their edge.

Currently playing WURM Online,  It a great game if you like to take care of things just to keep breathing...lol  The poeple are mainly older folk and the chat channel seems to be gaurded by the SS so you won't have to worry about the things the go on in WoW.  Their are people that have been playing for years, though, I must admit, after four months, it's starting to bore me.  Not a bad game for a while though.

FE I also played (a couple of times..lol).  Most people level via the PVE system but this is a PVP game.  Once you hit cap, thats want you'll be doing.  Just make sure you spec the way you want as it will cost you RL$ to respec.

EVE, haven't played it yet (mainly because it looks so complex I feel it's going to be a five year game) and I'm just no sure I'm ready to drop that kind of time.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by mastersomrat

EVE, haven't played it yet (mainly because it looks so complex I feel it's going to be a five year game) and I'm just no sure I'm ready to drop that kind of time.

doesnt take 5 years, unless you d want to do everything ofc, does take alot of planning though if you d want to be effective, but then there is actually programs available just for that....programs to show how to skill up most effecient and to show if you can fly certain ship setups with your character and what you are lacking to be able to. 

you get more options the more time you put into the game, and the start is horrid slow, atleast when I tried it