Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is pop

AlennaAlenna Member UncommonPosts: 114

How is population on blood and glory server ,worth start playing now or its dead?

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Blood & Glory servers are pratically dead population wise.

Actually all servers are kinda low pop. Well maybe with exception of one of EU PvE server - I forgot it's name though.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

in EU, I guess its Crom thats most pop. Fury still has alot, but not so much as Crom I think.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

And Wiccana is a great US Server. Remember that you can PvP on PvE servers too, just that it is not FFA.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by funk-ommed

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=240999

Someone calculated from published revenue numbers that AoC has about 150 k players that leaves dollars in the game. Think that is pretty accurate from activity in the game nowadays compared to other times when numbers have been released.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by DaSpack

Someone calculated from published revenue numbers that AoC has about 150 k players that leaves dollars in the game. Think that is pretty accurate from activity in the game nowadays compared to other times when numbers have been released.

Lol you linked a thread showing how few people play this game, when there are only 6 servers as both new PvP servers have only 100 players total at most and most of those servers are dead empty, when there are fewer than 100 players at level cap on a given server it is not light load but rather dead.

So from the thread you linked there are only two servers that have have ANY players, both in europe.  I doubt two of the cheap servers funcom just switched the game over to could hold 150 k players.  Maybe when free to play went live a year ago it had 150 k active players but now we are in the 20-25k range worldwide and there is nothing planned in the future to bring players back or get new ones.  Most servers are so empty if they combined all servers worldwide into 1 or 2 servers the game servers would still be medium load. 

You should log into the game activity is at an all time low Daspack.  Expected though when so little has been added in the last few years, players get bored of doing the same thing over and over.

• schiehallionschiehallion Member CommonPosts: 9

If you want to play on US servers, go Wiccana or Tyranny. For EU servers, go Crom (PvE) or Fury (PvP).

Crom's population is healthy though you have much lower activity these days due to SWTOR, ME3, TSW beta, BF3, etc. Judging by guildies (I'm on Crom) who take a break to play other MMOs, they'll return soon because SWTOR, TSW beta, etc. are not living quite up to expectations and are not the MMOs that will kill AoC anyway. :)

Originally posted by tares

Lol you linked a thread showing how few people play this game, when there are only 6 servers as both new PvP servers have only 100 players total at most and most of those servers are dead empty, when there are fewer than 100 players at level cap on a given server it is not light load but rather dead.

So from the thread you linked there are only two servers that have have ANY players, both in europe.  I doubt two of the cheap servers funcom just switched the game over to could hold 150 k players.  Maybe when free to play went live a year ago it had 150 k active players but now we are in the 20-25k range worldwide and there is nothing planned in the future to bring players back or get new ones.  Most servers are so empty if they combined all servers worldwide into 1 or 2 servers the game servers would still be medium load. 

You should log into the game activity is at an all time low Daspack.  Expected though when so little has been added in the last few years, players get bored of doing the same thing over and over.

Nothing to lol at here. The thread I link is an exelent example of how you not can count unique players leaving money in the game. What is a sure thing is to look at revenue from AoC. Because one thing is for sure, people are not donating funcom money, money/revenue must come from players and if you then are willing to do a basic assumption of how much each player leave (like 10 USD for example) the number will give itself. It must be in the 150 k range.

Activity is also picking up now. Dun know why but possibly because SWTOR is on a decline and there are many people that want to see the exeptional House of Crom Dungeon. The most hefty dungeon in MMO history.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Counting heads is the best way, when you log in and see there are only 4 level 80s or 90 level 80s on your server, you have a problem with doing social content.

Also, revenues are way down so I have no idea what you are talking about, they did take out a huge loan to launch TSW.  $10 month / player is not the goal, it is to get players to buy stuff like epic rank 5 PvP armor sets in the cash shop at level 80 or classes/races for ftp.  The population is deserted in all north america and just hanging on in europe, they even said in the last report that the game is declining and projected to further decline.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Erm I don't see how you could ever use revenue as a source for player population in a f2p game. You can't count the people that never buy anything. Then there are the people with a sub that also use the cashshop. You won't know the payment plan that people use for subs either. I can go on for awhile with this.
    The biggest error though is making an assumption how much a player pays funcom. You can not make a guess and hope to get the correct end result it doesn't work.
    Constantly running into the same people in different areas will tell you player population isn't exactly high. And my girkfriend who still plays does see the same names quite often.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I went back after the free to play change and it seems to be pretty busy.  I don't play the game a ton though so I am not 100% but from what I have seen it looks pretty decent.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Connmacart

Erm I don't see how you could ever use revenue as a source for player population in a f2p game. You can't count the people that never buy anything. Then there are the people with a sub that also use the cashshop. You won't know the payment plan that people use for subs either. I can go on for awhile with this.

The biggest error though is making an assumption how much a player pays funcom. You can not make a guess and hope to get the correct end result it doesn't work.

Constantly running into the same people in different areas will tell you player population isn't exactly high. And my girkfriend who still plays does see the same names quite often.

Well thats the thing it's a F2P game with microtransactions and it would be very very very conservative to make a 10 USD pr month assumption on all players in average. If you then are willing to use this assumption you easily can derive the minimum amount of players. This number is fare above 100 000 it's actually about 150 000 ish. All these players are naturally not logged on simultanously, some in night, some in day, some every third day and some just every 2 weeks. What is common though is that these are all unique different people playing the game (some more than the others).

Population is more than decent actually, otherwise we would not have been able to complete the very hard raid dungeons, but our guilds are healthy and rather large if we set up an event on specific weekday. This is coming from someone that is playing the game. If you want a guess on what the development will be in future I think we will see growth. There is a lot of new material coming in that is really epic (i.e. crafting).

The Ultimate Breakdown

• schiehallionschiehallion Member CommonPosts: 9

Counting heads is the best way, when you log in and see there are only 4 level 80s or 90 level 80s on your server, you have a problem with doing social content.

Also, revenues are way down so I have no idea what you are talking about, they did take out a huge loan to launch TSW.  $10 month / player is not the goal, it is to get players to buy stuff like epic rank 5 PvP armor sets in the cash shop at level 80 or classes/races for ftp.  The population is deserted in all north america and just hanging on in europe, they even said in the last report that the game is declining and projected to further decline.

What has me wondering is how Arena.net is doing it with GW and now GW2 as well. One-time cost for game + no monthly fees, but you can buy stuff with microtransactions from shop. I.e. all players pay roughly 50 GBP (average price all countries, maybe wrong, but not important). So I take it that's all the money Anet can "count" on getting from their players, should no one use their money shop.

With AoC, Funcom has both a subscription fee and item shop. At launch, f2p was not possible, and I guess that most players probably had at least a 1-month or 3-month subscription so that's about 50 GBP in total per player too, right?

How does Arena.net survive economically?

How come Funcom can't now adopt Arena.net's strategy, go f2p for all with decently priced microtransactions in item shop to get extra revenue, rather than the insane prices they have at the moment. Make new "premium" players pay a small fee, e.g. 10-20 GBP, to get the game, then no monthly fees after that. This distinction is just in case they want to preserve their different content access between f2p and premium, but even the premium players will not have the monthly fees anymore.

As for pop just now, on the EU PvE server Crom, in mornings it's usually quiet and only a mini or two going + maybe some 6-mans dungeons and/or 1 low-tier raid which probably doesn't fill for at least 1-2 hours. After midday and prime time, there's lots of 6-mans dungeons, raids and minis at level 80. Low-level dungeons and minis are struggling to fill up, I blame offline leveling and powerleveling for that, because people think they need to rush to level 80. True, that's where you have the whole endgame, but still there's so much fun content and great storylines going for you from levels 1 - 79.

Anyhow, enough rambling. :)

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by schiehallion

How does Arena.net survive economically?

How come Funcom can't now adopt Arena.net's strategy, go f2p for all with decently priced microtransactions in item shop to get extra revenue, rather than the insane prices they have at the moment. Make new "premium" players pay a small fee, e.g. 10-20 GBP, to get the game, then no monthly fees after that. This distinction is just in case they want to preserve their different content access between f2p and premium, but even the premium players will not have the monthly fees anymore.

As for pop just now, on the EU PvE server Crom, in mornings it's usually quiet and only a mini or two going + maybe some 6-mans dungeons and/or 1 low-tier raid which probably doesn't fill for at least 1-2 hours. After midday and prime time, there's lots of 6-mans dungeons, raids and minis at level 80. Low-level dungeons and minis are struggling to fill up, I blame offline leveling and powerleveling for that, because people think they need to rush to level 80. True, that's where you have the whole endgame, but still there's so much fun content and great storylines going for you from levels 1 - 79.

Anyhow, enough rambling. :)

It's a little more complicated than that.  People like to think that ArenaNet is its own company and it is this indie developer that has done well on its own.  It's not.  It is a part of NCSoft.  With ArenaNet's business model they would have never been able to afford the production of Guild Wars 2.

Funcom on the other hand is an indie developer.  If they didn't do business the way they do they would never be able to afford more games.  Funcom trades for 21 kronar on the Swedish Stock Exchange (OSE).  Don't get too excited, the exchange rate is10 to 1.  By comparison Funcom is hella poor and cannot afford to not to take advantage of the first boom.

Well thats the thing it's a F2P game with microtransactions and it would be very very very conservative to make a 10 USD pr month assumption on all players in average. If you then are willing to use this assumption you easily can derive the minimum amount of players. This number is fare above 100 000 it's actually about 150 000 ish. All these players are naturally not logged on simultanously, some in night, some in day, some every third day and some just every 2 weeks. What is common though is that these are all unique different people playing the game (some more than the others).

Population is more than decent actually, otherwise we would not have been able to complete the very hard raid dungeons, but our guilds are healthy and rather large if we set up an event on specific weekday. This is coming from someone that is playing the game. If you want a guess on what the development will be in future I think we will see growth. There is a lot of new material coming in that is really epic (i.e. crafting).

There are only 3 guilds that have killed the Garden Imp and 2 that have killed the Zodiac on Crom. General Sheng has been nerfed quite a few times now and the basilisk has always been a push over. so because there are about a 150, very generous here, people able to do the new raid encounters does not make the population decent.

Circle of Eternity my old guild, the guild my girlfriend still belongs to, absorbed Band of Brothers a few months back. If the playerbase had truly been healthy then getting people for the top raiding guild on Crom would have been easy and they wouldn't have had to agree to taking them in.

And again you can not make assumptions on how much people pay, not without knowing how much of the revenue is from subs. You are fooling yourself if you think you can.

There are only 3 guilds that have killed the Garden Imp and 2 that have killed the Zodiac on Crom. General Sheng has been nerfed quite a few times now and the basilisk has always been a push over. so because there are about a 150, very generous here, people able to do the new raid encounters does not make the population decent.

Circle of Eternity my old guild, the guild my girlfriend still belongs to, absorbed Band of Brothers a few months back. If the playerbase had truly been healthy then getting people for the top raiding guild on Crom would have been easy and they wouldn't have had to agree to taking them in.

And again you can not make assumptions on how much people pay, not without knowing how much of the revenue is from subs. You are fooling yourself if you think you can.

Well the end game of AoC is not lacking any more. The last and hardest raids are no walk in the park by any means and few are those able to actually complete them. This does however not tell much about the population in general. One thing is for sure the revenue AoC generate have to come from customers and to say that millions of USD is comming from a very few players is also not right. The question comes down to what is the correct conversion rate. 10 USD pr person is a lot for a F2P game, so I think I am guessing very conservatively here. Some people play the game but never pays a dime... you see what I am saying? 10 USD pr month is a conservative guess and even with this you end up on about 150 000 players. If you want to guess on outrageous 20 USD pr month pr customer you still have 75 000 players... So regardless of how you want to spin this the revenue in itself gives away that there is a good group of people playing AoC. Also that amount is picking up now that SWTOR is winding down.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Well the end game of AoC is not lacking any more. The last and hardest raids are no walk in the park by any means and few are those able to actually complete them. This does however not tell much about the population in general. One thing is for sure the revenue AoC generate have to come from customers and to say that millions of USD is comming from a very few players is also not right. The question comes down to what is the correct conversion rate. 10 USD pr person is a lot for a F2P game, so I think I am guessing very conservatively here. Some people play the game but never pays a dime... you see what I am saying? 10 USD pr month is a conservative guess and even with this you end up on about 150 000 players. If you want to guess on outrageous 20 USD pr month pr customer you still have 75 000 players... So regardless of how you want to spin this the revenue in itself gives away that there is a good group of people playing AoC. Also that amount is picking up now that SWTOR is winding down.

The OP asked about 1 server, BnG PvP server and you answered there are only 3 level capped players. 

Funcom lost money this quarter but revenue was 3,500,000 USD.  1 million from AO, ? from bloodline champions.  Now you bring up an interesting point, funcom said the cash shop brings in 100% of revenues.   I take that to mean if revenue per sub is $15 USD average then cash shop is another $15 USD so on average per month or $90 per subscriber (cash shops my be more ftp, but everyone wants those epic PvP sets)

The quarter numbers are not final so may be lower when readjusted and they are from a while back as quarterlies lag, so this is before SWTOR launched and before AoC's servers were a broken lag fest for two months.

The raids in AoC are meh , come out to slow, and usually bugge/not tested.  If AoC wanted to be a raiding game like, rift, wow, EQ1/2, SWTOR after update so can do 16 mans, maybe aion it needed to hire scripting staff instead of graphical artist.  To get raiders the game has to have some raiding focus, the expac launched with 2 broken raids and remained that way for a year, so raiders got bored of doing old content and left, is what my guild said, but they all quit as we were on BnG server and was empty.

Funcom lost money this quarter but revenue was 3,500,000 USD.  1 million from AO, ? from bloodline champions.  Now you bring up an interesting point, funcom said the cash shop brings in 100% of revenues.   I take that to mean if revenue per sub is $15 USD average then cash shop is another $15 USD so on average per month or $90 per subscriber (cash shops my be more ftp, but everyone wants those epic PvP sets)

The quarter numbers are not final so may be lower when readjusted and they are from a while back as quarterlies lag, so this is before SWTOR launched and before AoC's servers were a broken lag fest for two months.

The raids in AoC are meh , come out to slow, and usually bugge/not tested.  If AoC wanted to be a raiding game like, rift, wow, EQ1/2, SWTOR after update so can do 16 mans, maybe aion it needed to hire scripting staff instead of graphical artist.  To get raiders the game has to have some raiding focus, the expac launched with 2 broken raids and remained that way for a year, so raiders got bored of doing old content and left, is what my guild said, but they all quit as we were on BnG server and was empty.

3.5 Mill ?? Try 4.3 Mill :)

1 Mill from AO?? Try 0.1 Mill,  

30 USD pr person pr month in AoC in average ???!!?? You are avare of that there is a bunch of players that never leave a dime? if the average use is 30 USD pr person pr month how much would then the core players spend pr month? More than 30 USD, I don't think so. My guess is that average use pr person is maximum 10 USD pr month.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Let me quote yourself from another thread.

lalala and the wheel goes around.

Keep deluding yourself about player population all you want.

Let me quote yourself from another thread.

lalala and the wheel goes around.

Keep deluding yourself about player population all you want.

Oki, fine I'll accept that if you can explain to me where the revenue comes from. NOONE have donated it out of kindness. It comes from players, period.. And btw that matches well with my own observations ingame. February was the worst month populationwise, but it is picking up again now.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Oki, fine I'll accept that if you can explain to me where the revenue comes from. NOONE have donated it out of kindness. It comes from players, period.. And btw that matches well with my own observations ingame. February was the worst month populationwise, but it is picking up again now.

Ok 4,284,000 over three months .  Minus 2 million the average fourth quarter income from the two years before AoC's launch (2,146,000 + 1,745,000)/2  http://www.funcom.com/ir_archive/files/Funcom_Q407_report.pdf    AO brings in a over a million a quarter and Funcom launched two games since AoC so they should be generating revenue or why would a business launch them?

2,284,000 / 3 months =  $761,333 / month from AoC

761,333 / $ 15 subscriber (because USD < EURO conversion subscriptions cost more) =  50,755 subscribers

BUT WAIT! http://l3cdn.funcom.com/funcomportal/pdf/investor/2012/funcom-4q11-presentation_final.pdf page 17.

funcom said the cash shop matches revenue from subscribers when projecting TSW. so subscription is only half of AoC income and cash shop is the other half!

50,755 x (1/2) =  25,377 subscribers

There must be some free to play players that use the cah shop, who knows how many it takes to match sub revenue but Funcom claims a 1:1 ratio of cash shop:subscription revenue. Also, remember, Funcom claims revenues to be going down next quarter.

Ok 4,284,000 over three months .  Minus 2 million the average fourth quarter income from the two years before AoC's launch (2,146,000 + 1,745,000)/2  http://www.funcom.com/ir_archive/files/Funcom_Q407_report.pdf    AO brings in a over a million a quarter and Funcom launched two games since AoC so they should be generating revenue or why would a business launch them?

761,333 / $ 15 subscriber (because USD < EURO conversion subscriptions cost more) =  50,755 subscribers

BUT WAIT! http://l3cdn.funcom.com/funcomportal/pdf/investor/2012/funcom-4q11-presentation_final.pdf page 17.

funcom said the cash shop matches revenue from subscribers when projecting TSW. so subscription is only half of AoC income and cash shop is the other half!

There must be some free to play players that use the cah shop, who knows how many it takes to match sub revenue but Funcom claims a 1:1 ratio of cash shop:subscription revenue. Also, remember, Funcom claims revenues to be going down next quarter.

wth you lnk in a repport from 2007 to prove that AO have 1 mill revenue. Its 2012 and AO have close to 0 revenue.... This is where you proove that you dont care about the argument/discussion anymore. You are pretty much ready to fudge anything to be right. 4.2 mill/3 = 1.4 mill pr month. Each player using 10 USD equals 140 000 players.. 140 000 that would be F2Pers and Preium players.

The Ultimate Breakdown

wth you lnk in a repport from 2007 to prove that AO have 1 mill revenue. Its 2012 and AO have close to 0 revenue.... This is where you proove that you dont care about the argument/discussion anymore. You are pretty much ready to fudge anything to be right. 4.2 mill/3 = 1.4 mill pr month. Each player using 10 USD equals 140 000 players.. 140 000 that would be F2Pers and Preium players.

Funcom gets money from a lot of places and states it in the financials,  AoC isn't 99% of the revenue.  To ignore that fact shows a huge fudge in integrity.  The financial report we are using says 2011 and it is 2012, so 2007 would be 2008 or four years ago a few months before AoC launched and remember preorders don't get charged until release.

So you expect anyone to believe AO survived a horrid launch to stay alive from 2001 to 2008 and earned 1.5 million a quarter on average the morning before AoC released and then 95% of the players left without it being mentioned? Some left but Funcom's new projects bring in more revenue to cover that. AO had an expansion launch at the same time as AoC's expansion so it has subscribers.

Fincancials isn't my thing, who cares but is funny how you think AoC is the only thing Funcom has. 

AoC doesn't have very many Free riders, they can't get any AAs, they can't do more instances, they can't use the expansion and there is nothing to do before the expansion at level 80.  The trial people buy races and classes and then either subscribe or do like most players hit level 40-80 then quit.

140,000 active players would fill 12 servers,  Age of conan only has at most 2 half full servers and the rest are varying degrees of empty.  Also you have to watch out for stuff like this http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=241049 that falsely inflates the revenue.

DaSpeck have you tried age of conan? maybe you should try it out like I did.

Funcom gets money from a lot of places and states it in the financials,  AoC isn't 99% of the revenue.  To ignore that fact shows a huge fudge in integrity.  The financial report we are using says 2011 and it is 2012, so 2007 would be 2008 or four years ago a few months before AoC launched and remember preorders don't get charged until release.

So you expect anyone to believe AO survived a horrid launch to stay alive from 2001 to 2008 and earned 1.5 million a quarter on average the morning before AoC released and then 95% of the players left without it being mentioned? Some left but Funcom's new projects bring in more revenue to cover that. AO had an expansion launch at the same time as AoC's expansion so it has subscribers.

Fincancials isn't my thing, who cares but is funny how you think AoC is the only thing Funcom has. 

AoC doesn't have very many Free riders, they can't get any AAs, they can't do more instances, they can't use the expansion and there is nothing to do before the expansion at level 80.  The trial people buy races and classes and then either subscribe or do like most players hit level 40-80 then quit.

140,000 active players would fill 12 servers,  Age of conan only has at most 2 half full servers and the rest are varying degrees of empty.  Also you have to watch out for stuff like this http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=241049 that falsely inflates the revenue.

DaSpeck have you tried age of conan? maybe you should try it out like I did.

Not bothered to read this garbage. Read my previous post.

Join us for a weekend in AoC and I'll show you around.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

In my opinion the population is very low right now. I've gone F2P the last weeks, and I've tried to find some T1 raids for one of my blue geared alts. During the last 2 weeks I havent been able to find a raid even if I've been on 1-2 hours solo'ing at various hours (prime time/non prime time). This week I decided to stop playing as I found myself hardly logging on after I gave up finding raids for my alt.

The game is basicly in a bit deadtime now. Normal players haven't had a update since January, and the big boss in the HoC Social dungeon seems to be more or less unkillable. The big guilds doing T4 raids seems to be doing allright I think..

There's two new Solo dungeons coming( or updated versions) and a new group instance. After that there's the big Crafting update, then there's the adventure pack towards the end of the year.

I'll defnetly check out the crafting update and the adventure pack later in the year. But for now. It looks like AOC is going to be pretty dead during the summer.