Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played for 3 months solid and quit

MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Got it for Christmas with a 60 day time card and played 3 characters to high level, one got to 50 but tbh I wn't be resubbing, the game is just not an MMO in feel, it's just a single player RPG with coop elements, what a dissapointment.

Not sure where to start tbh but the biggest killer for me was the lack of world pvp, they have designed this game specifically to keep opposing factions apart, they just don't understand that people want the exact opposite.  The result is a world that lacks any sense of danger or atmosphere, I never once felt nervous questing as I knew the chances of being ganked were so remote that I could go afk for a cup of tea while standing in the middle of a road in contested territory.

I want an MMO that is dangerous, i want to be ganked, I want to be looking over my shoulder all the time, I want a world where I have to think twice about heading down a particular road, it's all about atmosphere and this game nas none.

I played WOW for 6 years simple because riding around Azeroth (pre BC) was dangerous, you had a very high chance of being ganked and that set the stage perfectly, you were always looking over your shoulder.

So if you like world PvP keep well away.

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

In before the fanbois start claiming BW never said it would a PVP game despite the 1000s of times BW said exactly that and boasted about the PVP team working on it.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Somehow i don't believe a word your saying here this is so familiar playing game A comeup with some vague story why it suck and promote a another game B why its so much better then game A.

Ive seen this topics so manytimes over the years ive never understood why people feel the need going to forum explaining why they quit and game sucks is beyond me?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• bala666bala666 Member Posts: 7

the usual smart mmo player thinks just like you bro, +1, that game is a fail it only took me the freemonth to realize. and vanilla wow's open world pvp was great, it was the time i enjoyed it the most.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Mackeh

Got it for Christmas with a 60 day time card and played 3 characters to high level, one got to 50 but tbh I wn't be resubbing, the game is just not an MMO in feel, it's just a single player RPG with coop elements, what a dissapointment.

Not sure where to start tbh but the biggest killer for me was the lack of world pvp, they have designed this game specifically to keep opposing factions apart, they just don't understand that people want the exact opposite.  The result is a world that lacks any sense of danger or atmosphere, I never once felt nervous questing as I knew the chances of being ganked were so remote that I could go afk for a cup of tea while standing in the middle of a road in contested territory.

I want an MMO that is dangerous, i want to be ganked, I want to be looking over my shoulder all the time, I want a world where I have to think twice about heading down a particular road, it's all about atmosphere and this game nas none.

I played WOW for 6 years simple because riding around Azeroth (pre BC) was dangerous, you had a very high chance of being ganked and that set the stage perfectly, you were always looking over your shoulder.

I fully subscribe to your conclusions. Regarding your observation about factions and world design I made this graph about it a while ago:

Anyway, the leveling content is rich in SWTOR and that might keep people interested for a while but it lacks certain key elements to keep me in and you perfectly described the most important one.

• Sp1dersbaneSp1dersbane Member Posts: 49

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad game, it's just different. where a lot of new MMO's like to "copy" another studio's design, BW clearly decided to just take the elements that worked from WoW. Questing, War Zones), PVP zones (illum), Raids, dungeons, heroics, mounts, dailies, stat based game play (No skill Req. ... Even I'm good!), trade skills/gathering...etc.

Remove both IP's and just have a list of features and the only difference is Voice Acting (which for an Alt-a-holic like myself gets repetitive real fast), WoW does still have more going for it from the gamers standpoint, it's easier to play, requires lower system requirements (Recession = can't afford a new PC for most people) and it already has a community of elitist with millions of mom jokes available.

Developers need to start realising that WoW is successful because it's WOW, you can't copy it and expect a new or existing IP to carry it further. BW balls up with the single most successful IP in the history of everything, no other brand even comes close. Instead of creating something that was completely Star Warsy they took a look at wow and thought..."Hmm...so that's what makes money".

3 month's is a very long time to give a gain, Kudos to you sir, I have it 2 month's (although the 2nd month was .... "meh, cba"). The World PVP was a non-starter, the few times I came across another player we just pretty much ignored each other. War zones felt like a handbag fight. Get hit buy a rocket and just shrugging it off or a lightsaber that fails to chop a smuggler in half...seriously? This felt like a Sci-Fi Dragon Age 2 Online. It should have remained single player and should have had severed limbs and alot more explosions. Star Wars should be 50% on the ground and 50% in space, the space combat (no pvp modes) was naff, without a doubt the biggest let down. Fly-by-wire should be left to the consoles and iPhone apps, it has no place in an MMO (SWG managed to handle space combat reasonably well).

Why didn't they make it a rehash of SWG? That game may have been badly managed over the years but it felt 200% more Star Warsy then ToR. If people weren’t so fed up with Blizzards money machine I doubt tor would have been as popular as it is today, will be interesting to see what impact GW2 will have on ToR's player base.

TL;DR - Agree with OP, ToR was a letdown not only from a gamers point of view but also from a Star wars fan's. They could have re-invented the mmo genre, instead they went for the tried and tested fail option. Wow V2.0

EDIT: Darkpony, that graph pretty much sum's up the world PVP in ToR and a few other mmo's, another reason WoW's world pvp was popular was the fact you could attack the oposite factions capital city....can't in ToR. Also leave the hornet's alone!

Currently playing: Nothing, waiting for someone with an imagination to make something new and exciting. I'm watching you ArenaNet!

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by thamighty213

In before the fanbois start claiming BW never said it would a PVP game despite the 1000s of times BW said exactly that and boasted about the PVP team working on it.

It's not that it isn't advertised to be a PvP game. It's that you would have to be incredibly gullible to believe any themepark game will ever have good PvP.

OP you played for three months, how disappointed could you have been?

Well i rolled republic and got to level 46 with a Jedi and then took a commando to 42, this all within 5 weeks.  Then my server uthar wynn literally emptied in the space of a fortnight and ended up with like 20 people in fleet.  I then rerolled ona very heavy server and went Empire, got Bounty hunter to 50 then again eeryone left the server, including me.

The only reason I played for 3 months was becuase the game was a Christmas pressy with a 60 day time card which if u add the free month gives a total of 3 months plying time.  TBH the last month of my time I only played 2 or 3 times a week max, it's just not a good MMO and will go F2P within the year.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Classicstar

Somehow i don't believe a word your saying here this is so familiar playing game A comeup with some vague story why it suck and promote a another game B why its so much better then game A.

Ive seen this topics so manytimes over the years ive never understood why people feel the need going to forum explaining why they quit and game sucks is beyond me?

Its not that hard to see how lacking SWTOR is. He played because he has the same mundance remarks to reflect the mundane gameplay..

Seems legit..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• wickymageewickymagee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Good, bye...

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

that my friend is called Darkfall. not only can you get ganked just about anywere, but when you do you loose all your shit. how's that for nervous?

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by thamighty213

I was just going to type a "In before the haters start with a 'in before the fanbois' inflammatory preemptive post."  Looks like I was too late.  Seriously, did your post add anything to the conversation other than to incite people?  

Anyway, to the OP's point:  If you are into open world PvP, this is definitely not the game to play.  I think Bioware planned on making this mainly a PvE focused game from the beginning, and that PvP was going to just be something for people to do on the side in the form of WoW-style battlegrounds.  My guess is that at some point, they made the decision to add in more PvP elements, but by that time, they had already created the zones, in which the sides are segregated from each other for too long. So they brought in the Mythic team to add in more PvP content, added another warzone or two, and introduced Ilum.  Unfortunately, the entire PvP aspect of this game feels like it was hastily thrown together in the latter stages of development just to draw in the PvPers.  You can definitely see this in Ilum, which, unfortunately, just doesn't work right.  

Aside from the obvious problems with the planet maps, which pretty much make open world PvP non-existent, there is also an issue with the engine optimization.  It's just not equipped to have numerous PvPers out in the open world fighting.  It's a lot more smoother in battlegrounds, but out in the open world and Ilum, it's  a complete lagfest.  I have a Jedi Shadow Consular on a PvP server, and due to the poor optimization, I am completely able to avoid being ganked out in the open world.  Whenever I'm out and about, if another player, enemy or friendly, enters my area, I get lag.  Nothing major, just a very brief hiccup.  So when I'm in an area that I know some Imps may be, and I feel that hiccup, I immediately pop into stealth and wait for them to show up, where I can either gank them or avoid them based on what kind of advantage I have.  I use the lag as an early-warning alert.  Pretty sure that's not how open world PvP is supposed to be.  

It's unfortunate, because if there was ever a game that screamed for serious faction PvP, this game is it.  Sadly, Bioware dropped the ball early on by focusing solely on PvE, and have been playing catch-up ever since on the PvP part.  

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

It's a good game, it just does not feel like a virtual world. I feel the investment would have been better put in a massive epic single player game. 

I didn't resonate with any of my party members on my characters, or was tied in like I was in KOTOR 1. 

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Vanilla wow was the ultimate mmorpg, nothing will ever get close...developers have no clue...they mistake single player co-op games with MMORPGS.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

i played it too, to be honest its not perfect it has it good and bad sides along like all games, and its true they have to make improvments to it, and i think with time slowly it is coming, they are making patches for it, how it will turn out is still to be seen, just a fair answer to it.

now to concentare on this thread, most of threads im reading are almost written from WOW players, and in every thraed they are writting its only mostly about new mmos that are just on market or that are coming soon out on market.

from all i see they are making every mmo looking bad and writting about it lke its worth mothing or they are writing how its all wow clones and  how it sucks.

i think that most of them are trieng just to put new mmos down in its sight, and mostly to get new fans for WOW, since  that game its losing many players because other mmos are coming soon.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Most of us has played TOR for 3 months and quit as well, including myself. After reading the 1.2 notes on PTS, I'm disgusted at how the devs are handling the classes and pvp, they're nerfing merc/commando in a big way (why are they even touching merc's hired muscle reducing crit % from 6 to 3? name another class that doesn't scale crit % by 2 per box), and buffing marauder/sentinal which are already damn strong (I have one myself). The fact is that pvp is turning into a bigger mess than it already is, rated wz won't be all that great and will revolve around 2-3 specific class/builds just like WoW's arena which Blizzard admitted was a mistake.

Worse yet, they're giving a slap in the face to those that legitimately levelled ranks up to Battlemaster and such, and deleting Centurion/Champion gear in 1.2 (you get to keep them if you have them equipped).

Someone said to me, this is an equivalent to SWG's NGE, and the more I think about it, the more I agree- and so soon, only 3 months after release, AFTER 2 YEARS OF ALPHA/BETA, why did they wait?

Bioware should stay with single player games, their partner team Mythic aren't any better, wrecking Warhammer's pvp and now wrecking SWTOR's pvp.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

With all do respect OP, the writting was on the wall before the game was released that there was little world pvp (assuming you were in the beta). Total shame..

The game is called Star WARS and has for the most part been centered on 2 factions battling each other, yet this game has less world pvp then WoW does, even with all it's dungeon finder stuff..

I stayed away from day 1.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

To the OP... why are you not playing Darkfall then?  Or EVE-Online?

Playing a game that was designed, from the ground up, to be a PvE-centric game that focuses on story arcs, and crying that it doesn't have much PvP is like complaining that Mountain Dew doesn't taste like Coca-Cola.  If PvP is what matters to you, pick a game that was designed to BE a PvP game, not one that has it tacked on.

I enjoy the game, and will probably play it through the summer.  I suspect I'll drop it when Guild Wars 2 comes out, as the idea of a game where skill > gear, and the tank/aggro mechanic has been scrapped is LONG overdue.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by quixadhal

To the OP... why are you not playing Darkfall then?  Or EVE-Online?

Because they are totally different kinds of games and not the cup of tea for the OP? I dont know any gamer who just plays any game available as long as some certain mechanics are done well in it, it needs to be in the right kind of setting with also having gameplay that suits the taste of the gamer.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by sookster54

Someone said to me, this is an equivalent to SWG's NGE, and the more I think about it, the more I agree

I have done all the editing on the post, but I am somewhat lost for words now.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Why it would take 3 months of solid playing any game to decide the game is crap is beyond my comprehension.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

that my friend is called Darkfall. not only can you get ganked just about anywere, but when you do you loose all your shit. how's that for nervous?

You still have 20+ sets of armor and same amount of weapons in bank to refit you.

No buzz at all pvping in Darkfall.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265
    Want to look over your shoulder? Come to nullsec.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by bala666

the usual smart mmo player thinks just like you bro, +1, that game is a fail it only took me the freemonth to realize. and vanilla wow's open world pvp was great, it was the time i enjoyed it the most.

WoW did before Battlegrounds, flying mounts and enter instances anywhere.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Sweet, got kind of worried today, you know, wanted to make sure I got my daily fix of ,"I quit SWTOR" hits...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Slampig

Sweet, got kind of worried today, you know, wanted to make sure I got my daily fix of ,"I quit SWTOR" hits...

Why are you wondering? It is a popular game after all with a short life span. The same thing that hurt AoC badly is now hurting SW:TOR. Only the IP and the marketing is keeping some people still susbscribed. Besides, those that don't go through the limited content provided into the 2-3 month span are too casual to care about forums such as mmorpg.com