Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Beauty Of Vanguard

As Vanguard is going FTP i though i would give those who have never had the privilege of travelling the beautiful vast world of Telon a treat.

Watch in HD..

P.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3MZf6q7Bk

Check out the ship,these are craftable by player but they are an epic cost.

P.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuB1Yt4KUaU

P.3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji-9y2iVYQ

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Always enjoyed these videos, and the music choices make them even better.

Its gonna be a great year for MMOs, with both Vanguard and Guild Wars 2 w/ no subscriptions costs!

Never got into Vanguard for obvious reasons, but hopfully it'll pick up once F2P and there will be tens of thousands of others players making it more fun to play and complete content.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Never liked the way character models and armor looks in Vanguard, it was quite promsing but it was relesed in Alpha state.

Never recovered from then on.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Vanguard really needs more people because it has such a huge and open world that's just gaping empty. One could almost argue it's the only MMO to actually warrant flying mounts.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Methos12

Vanguard really needs more people because it has such a huge and open world that's just gaping empty. One could almost argue it's the only MMO to actually warrant flying mounts.

This is why FTP is coming.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I played Vanguard when it came out. It was a gorgeous game. I remember a start area with an oriental,"Eastern" ,theme that was particularly easy on the eyes. And I also recall standing on a hill watching boats that looked like "Junks"  gliding peacefully down a serene river. Seems you could get a boat in that game; or at least they had that planned. I will try ftp for sure.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Sylvarii

This game should have been closed long time ago. Its looks really bad and boring. I just cant imagine ppl who play this game.  

One of those mmorpgs that failed from the whole idea. Looks like they didnt know wich kind of demography they wanted to carter. But maybe its just me.

Originally posted by ste2000

Never liked the way character models and armor looks in Vanguard, it was quite promsing but it was relesed in Alpha state.

Never recovered from then on.

LOL,so you like a game that has armour like this..

but you dont like a game that has armour like this..

Guess Tera is more your cup of tea with the over the top armour,i prefer the more realistic.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

I love the kojan style armor, love that place to bad its only up to level 18, i hope they put more stuff on that place.

Originally posted by punkrock

I love the kojan style armor, love that place to bad its only up to level 18, i hope they put more stuff on that place.

Kojan was meant to be as big as the other continents and there was also a fourth continent made as well.As for Kojan being level 18 we have the Ulvari portal which could be opened.

They have already put magi hold on the southern part of Kojan so it has already got content that goes beyond level 18.When was the last time you played Vanguard.

The fouth continent is called Lothenland which is a vast ice and frozen continent.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by makii

This game should have been closed long time ago. Its looks really bad and boring. I just cant imagine ppl who play this game.  
    One of those mmorpgs that failed from the whole idea. Looks like they didnt know wich kind of demography they wanted to carter. But maybe its just me.

I disagree. Vanguard had brilliant ideas, but failed at execution due to ego butting and being stuck in development limbo only to end up being bought by SoE and kept on life support so as not to threaten their precious Everquest 2. Hell, when you have diplomacy, adventuring and crafting each pretty much being a separate game in its own right then you know you have something worth looking at.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Its you but their is no point explianing it to you because you wont be playing it anyway.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

So just because you don't like the game it should be closed? What about the people who enjoy the game, would you really take the game away from them just because you don't like it? What kind of stupid ass attitude is that? I don't mind people expressing their opinions on a game, but people who want a game to close just because they don't like it really annoys me. For what possible reason could you justify wanting a game to close? A game doe not need tens of thousands of players to be great. There should and is space for small niche games in the market. And thank god for that, and some diversity.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Tried the trial again recently (last time I saw this game was beta) & the trial isle is quite well done, does seem to lack a certain "smoothness" but the grass & trees swaying, the sheer variety of trees & other flora plus the dynamic weather & skies do seem to give the game a much larger & more convincing "world" feel.

The character graphics could have used a bit more variety, sure there are a lot of sliders but the actual visual differences they make are tiny & barely noticeable for the most part, at least facial sliders are. Few too many humans for my tastes.

Enjoying the diplomacy mini-game, quite a steep learning curve on it & the tutorial explanations still felt like you needed to have an understanding of the game before reading them as it was very hard to relate what was being said to the onscreen action but worth persevering with.

If the character & npc models were given a good once-over the game would have a lot more charm to it, animation felt a little stilted but was overall convincing enough, just.

Definitely worth a F2P conversion & I look forward to spending more time with the game & other players when it converts over, I think it could well win subs on it's aesthetics alone & the gameplay is quite deep. Just needs to be given lots of dev love & polish.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I hope they let you start in the city of your race when ftp comes. Do you think they will let you?

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I hope they let you start in the city of your race when ftp comes. Do you think they will let you?

hopefully they will remove island of dawn for the f2p realse. its good with a populated world :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.

Originally posted by Skuz

Tried the trial again recently (last time I saw this game was beta) & the trial isle is quite well done, does seem to lack a certain "smoothness" but the grass & trees swaying, the sheer variety of trees & other flora plus the dynamic weather & skies do seem to give the game a much larger & more convincing "world" feel.

The character graphics could have used a bit more variety, sure there are a lot of sliders but the actual visual differences they make are tiny & barely noticeable for the most part, at least facial sliders are. Few too many humans for my tastes.

Enjoying the diplomacy mini-game, quite a steep learning curve on it & the tutorial explanations still felt like you needed to have an understanding of the game before reading them as it was very hard to relate what was being said to the onscreen action but worth persevering with.

If the character & npc models were given a good once-over the game would have a lot more charm to it, animation felt a little stilted but was overall convincing enough, just.

Definitely worth a F2P conversion & I look forward to spending more time with the game & other players when it converts over, I think it could well win subs on it's aesthetics alone & the gameplay is quite deep. Just needs to be given lots of dev love & polish.

The trail is so far away from the real world of Vanguard it's a joke,be prepared to be blown away by some of Vanguards vast world.

I suspect that many who have not gone beyond the trail or played the game will be truly lost.Some areas and dungeons are beyond anything you have ever come across in an mmo.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I agree.  Played the free trial last year and was not in the least impressed.  Hated the combat animations, and the graphics were worse then WoW IMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

my buddy built one of these very, very costly and time sink boats, just to have it "lost" after a update.

With no help from customer support, he never saw his time sink again. Then he quit that game

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

I am new to the game to be honest, i was just told by some player back in 2010 that kijan was pretty dead, glade to hear the info thou!  are you still playing know?  

look for me*anyone can*  setsua or dracons.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

[...] Few too many humans for my tastes. [...]

Err, what ?

Theres 19 races in Vanguard. You complain 6 of them are human, or human-like ? Theres 13 others to choose from !

Nobody forces you to play human if you dont like it.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Vanguard has one of the most realistic, most beautiful enviroments in MMO.

problem is that the character models are down right  hideous.  i don't mind the armor styles in vanguard,  is just that there isen't enough variety and most are identical with the same designs but  different colour textures.

character creation during Beta in vanguard was great.  you really were able to make very unique, great looking characters.   they reduced or got rid of most sliders , in order to improve performance.

my once gorgeous high elven cleric, now looks like an Albino Zulu with a Pig nose.

human females,  now all look like sex dolls.

only race that is still somewhat decent are the dark elves.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The problem is that they were given the once-over already. SoE simplified the character models to help with game performance, so there was a lot of lost options and slider details, and the character models are noticably less detailed than when the game was launched.

Its probably time to revert this change with computers able to handle Vanguard better these days.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

All non-trial players can already start in the home towns. I dont see why they would remove that option.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

I disagree. Vanguard had brilliant ideas, but failed at execution due to ego butting and being stuck in development limbo only to end up being bought by SoE and kept on life support so as not to threaten their precious Everquest 2. Hell, when you have diplomacy, adventuring and crafting each pretty much being a separate game in its own right then you know you have something worth looking at.

Not sure which universe this version of events is from, but it sure is not this one.

First, Sigil had a deal with Microsoft (May 16, 2002), Sigil wasted a ton money, so Microsoft said goodbye (May 5, 2006), then Sigil went to SOE and made a deal, Sigil then released an unfinished, bug ridden mess of a game (January 30, 2007).

Because the game was basically shit, players left in droves, Sigil was financially screwed, so they sacked most of the Sigil staff (May 14, 2007) and sold the game to SOE (May 15, 2007).

Blaming it all on SOE is ridiculous, in fact, blaming any of it on SOE is ridiculous.

The fault lies with Sigil, they developed the game, they wasted time and money, they made the game what it was. Sigil were that good at developing V:SoH, they could not even get hats/helmets/head gear put into the game.

You should actually be thanking SOE instead of blaming them, as if they had not picked the game up, it would not exist at all now.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• doomingdooming Member Posts: 17

Vanguard was a pretty good game from the beginning.  Sure, it had some bugs, but people would have endured them if it wasn't for the real reason for it's demise.  I feel like I am the only one who remembers this, but WoW released Burning Crusade on January 16, 2007, two weeks before Vanguards release on January 30, 2007- and  BC was a smashing success.   That is what killed the game.     If Burning Crusade turned out to be a flop, I am sure that Vanguard would have succeeded.     Maybe that is what they were counting on?