Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What races do you want to see added?

lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Personally, I want to be a Mage.  Yup.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont mind different races to be added but if the game is about vampires then it only make sense that any playable race has vampirism. Nobody complains about a game where everyone is a healthy human, so i dont see a problem with everyone being a vampire in a vampire game. So yeah, variety of races is fine as long as they all have vampirism :)

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Er, are you familiar at all with WoD??  A werewolf with vampirism?

• shadelordshadelord Member Posts: 5

I WANT TO BE A CHANGELING!!!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

A Kung Fu Panda!

Seriously though, this game is about Vampires and Humans so I doubt there will be any other playable races. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by lifesbrink

Hm, a mage is not a race it is a class.

Originally posted by stragen001

A Kung Fu Panda!

Seriously though, this game is about Vampires and Humans so I doubt there will be any other playable races. 

they havent confirmed its only about vampires, it is called "World of Darkness" if it was only about vampires they rightly should have named it Vampire : The Masquerade or something close to that im pretty sure they will add more than vampires and humans just by its name

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by shadelord

Originally posted by stragen001

A Kung Fu Panda!

they havent confirmed its only about vampires, it is called "World of Darkness" if it was only about vampires they rightly should have named it Vampire : The Masquerade or something close to that im pretty sure they will add more than vampires and humans just by its name

From this article on PCGamer.com where they interview Reynir Hardarson the creative director it seems like players are going to start off human and then all become vampires :-

PC Gamer: Are we all vampires? Can I just play as a human and not turn?

Reynir Hardarson: Yes.

PC Gamer: Will I be able to compete though? Will I be as powerful as the vamps?

Reynir Hardarson: No. Not as a non-immortal. Part of the transformation is that immediately you become a lot more powerful in different ways…

PC Gamer: So it’s a decision that players can make? “I’m don’t want to roll with those guys?”

Reynir Hardarson: Yes. The game begins when you die.

True enough though, it doesnt specifically say that there will or wont be other races.... "As a non immortal" you cant compete, so you might be able to be things other than vamps such as warewolves etc. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Mage:

Akashic Brotherhood. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• lutlut123456lutlut123456 Member Posts: 7

I watched their entire presentation that had at CCP's fanfest, and at one point somebody asks about other races.  The response to the question was that not at launch as at launch there will only be vampires, but he does mention that the lore behind WoD includes werewolves and mages and such.  He insinuates that they plan on adding other races in later maybe with expansions etc.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

fairy

Originally posted by Vidir

Originally posted by lifesbrink

Hm, a mage is not a race it is a class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Awakening#Orders

They function similar to a race, so they would count as one in this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness

For anyone else, this article gives a good summary of the races.  Many of them, of course, stem from humans.

i hope they make the game based on the old WoD and not the new

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I'm hoping Hunter and Werewolves make it in quick.

Mage would be fun too, but it'd obviously not be so free form. That's going to be true about all the games tho' I guess from their pen & paper counterparts.

Changling and Kindred of the East a lil' lower on my to see list, but if they showed up I'd be happy too.

Personally I'd like to see the game eventually have it able to be started just plain ol' d10 Human. Then see what happens from there. LoL

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

How about a normal human?

The vampires need to hunt and feed something, and i want to fight them : )

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by daarco

How about a normal human?

The vampires need to hunt and feed something, and i want to fight them : )

You can be human. Apparently you can stay human if you want but you won't be very powerful.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/29/world-of-darkness-players-can-try-to-stay-human-but-guns-are-only-good-as-a-fashion-accessory/

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

Geist. By far the best of the WoD games. 

Or perhaps ... a Hunter, especially with so many Vampires around.

• cyberwraith81cyberwraith81 Member Posts: 9

One thing I would like to see out of a World Of Darkness game is the eventual inclusion of Mage and Werewolf. I would absolutely play if, when or if they include Mage, they included the Technocracy as a playable faction. Some of the best Mage games I played in were the ones in which we played as the Technocracy. 

If it is truley a sand box game as CCP is stating, than hopefully players will even be able to chose to play as Sabbat or Camerilla.

• ValmarillValmarill Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by RPGTag

One thing I would like to see out of a World Of Darkness game is the eventual inclusion of Mage and Werewolf. I would absolutely play if, when or if they include Mage, they included the Technocracy as a playable faction. Some of the best Mage games I played in were the ones in which we played as the Technocracy. 

If it is truley a sand box game as CCP is stating, than hopefully players will even be able to chose to play as Sabbat or Camerilla.

Mage would be awesome .. the wall they might hit in development is, that truly you can customize your spells to such a degree that how would they standardize it without losing the flavor of Mage entirely? You can literally create spells using the different schools of magic 'on-the-fly' as many of the players in our table top do. I'm not syaing this is impossible to do in a computer game but I think the mechanics would have any designer scratiching their head for years and making compromises taht might turn the hardcore Mage fans off.. Alot of the Mage game spells comes down to a ruling by the Storyteller who decides whether or not what the player wants to do is even possible and a "You'll need this many dice to pull that off." 

It would be interesting to see how they handle this.

The other WoD templates are much more straightforward and allow a lot less tweaking. Some Geist powers are determined by the player but on the whole they are standardized. Vampires and Werewolves would probably be the easiest to transition into a computer game. Do you think they could bring Mage to MMO and truly maintain the integrity of the Table-top? I have to say, I am a bit skeptical.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Inquisitor. The game is based on vampires and vampirism, so it makes sense to me that there be an opposing force. Though, yes, vampires are generally at constant if not subtle (sometimes) wars with one another, it would be nice for something outside of that box to exist. And I always loved the Inquisitor supplement, at high levels they could really lay down the undead destruction.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    60m hurdles
  • seiiyaseiiya Member Posts: 24

i heard they gonna put LATER ON some sort of mages and werewolfs

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

Mage would be almost impossible to do properly, especially when you are dealing with paradox and the challenge of trying to make your effects coincidental.   I don't see them adding Werewolf, either, if the game is going to have pvp or enforce the whole 'you can't let anyone know what you are!'  theme of the game.  Especially if it's oWoD, werewolves are extremely overpowered compared to vamps.  oWoD was never designed with cross-class play in mind. 

This will be quite a project, indeed.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by zytin

This will be quite a project, indeed.

but well worth it if they can pull it off! image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• SonshouSonshou Member UncommonPosts: 18

I'm surprised that some people still don't know what is "World of Darkness" and they think it is, well, a new vampire game but I can understand the reason. Even if this concept is great it's still underground. If it wasn't for my cousin who likes the gothic and vampires, I probably never would have found this. But after learning about WoD my interest for vampires was triplicated and turned in a passion.

Back in 1991 Mark Rein·Hagen created Vampire: The Masquerade, then in 1992 he and White Wolf expanded that universe (World of Darkness) to Werewolf: The Apocalypse another series of RPG books and novels set in the same world. And it was expanded through the years with different line of books like Mage: The Ascension - Kindred of the East - Wraith: The Oblivion - Changeling: The Dreaming - Hunter: The Reckoning - Mummy: The Resurrection - Demon: The Fallen and Orpheus.

About the thread:

I would like to see: Vampires, Werewolves, Hunters, Mages and especially Kuei-jin. The Kuei-jin could work very well as antagonists (as they did in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) unlike Werewolves and the skillful Hunters but still humans they are. BTW, CCP said werewolves would have different targets and objetives and they'll fight not for the same resources than vampires.

There's two things people should remember:

1.- Vampire: The Masquerade was the first PnP RPG game then it was expanded and became in World of Darkness.

2.- This will be an MMO and MMOs after got some success, start to expand the game, new plots-tasks or adding new playable races.

The announcements they already made were: it's based on Vampire: The Masquerade, so it's the Old WoD. They're going to concentrate in Vampire first, the other races could be added later. Everybody starts as a human and needs another PC to become in a Vampire/Kindred.

So, till this point Vampires and Humans will be available at launch. I just hope Humans could be more developed and not being simply bridges to walk and wait your turn to become in a vampire. Concepts like Ghouls (humans who drink vampire blood who don't age, have supernatural strength and endurance but they're used as servants by Vampires), Blood Dolls and simple and plain humans (Kine) could be an option.

As you can see, WoD is not a simple game like "heh, here's my vampire, he has fangs, he will fight a werewolf who is stronger, heh, now there is a hunter with a katana, heh".

gaeanprayer "Inquisitor. The game is based on vampires and vampirism, so it makes sense to me that there be an opposing force. Though, yes, vampires are generally at constant if not subtle (sometimes) wars with one another"

Well, it sounds like you're not familiar with WoD. I already said many things about this, but I should add, in WoD exists the vampire politics and vampires are in constant conflict for different reasons between themselves. There are sects called Camarilla and Sabbat. Camarilla created a set of rules to hide their existence from humans named The Masquerade if some vampire breaks those rules a blood-hunt is called by the Prince of that city. Something the Sabbat is opposed, they want to control humans because they feel humans are inferior and don't care about being noticed. While Camarilla cares about maintaining their humanity the Sabbat thinks that's a weak and coward thought.

Inside the Camarilla there's another faction who they call themselves Anarchs, they oppose to Camarilla and the Masquerade because they think is a way to manipulate and control other vampires. The Camarilla has 7 vampire clans involved, every clan could have their own interests and that obviously can cause conflict. The backstabbing in WoD is something common, I remember this guy who said he played the PnP and he diableriezed (drink all the blood and eat the soul of another vampire) his Sire (the vampire who turned him and taught him his unlife). as you can see, there's nothing subtle about vampire wars here. CCP doesn't want to make a WoW Vampire Version and WoD itself is nothing like that. Vampires politics, Humanity a big world to enjoy and discover, those are something WoD can offer.