Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underrated games that provide a whole new experience

Comments

• Reeves87Reeves87 Member Posts: 2

Excellent list, quite a few gems I've not seen mentioned elsewhere in quite some time. I would recommend an excellent MUD-type game though, Roto-X.  It's got an energy cap, similar to other browser games, but there's legit ways to circumvent that. Good post-apocalyptic theme going on that's very trendy at the minute, great community too!

What's more is that the game has recently had a reset, so everything is great for a new player to jump on-board with. 

The game has a ton of humour in it, a little reminiscent to old school fallout actually. It's well worth checking out.

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

This list is brilliant! My game fits perfectly (now in open beta).

Island Forge - Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!

It's all about player-created content, with an old-school style. It's not your typical MMORPG - I've made it a point to do things a little differently. Features a unique hybrid HP/XP system and different kind of leveling model. Everything is built around providing a nice environment for storytelling and player creativity.

See my open beta thread here at mmorpg.com.

Thanks for your interest!

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

• historybuff4historybuff4 Member Posts: 5

I'd like to find a good mmorpg.  I tried Runes of Magic did't like it as moding gear was too complicated.  I like a good story that continues to evolve any ideas?

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59
    You can try First Earth (http://www.firstearthgame.com)
    Based on mainly on Ultia online and Wurm, still in Alpha testing but should have a Beta out soon, very promising game, ALOT more info on there forum, they havent really looked into marketing just yet because they want toget a working Beta out first xD

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by historybuff4
    I'd like to find a good mmorpg.  I tried Runes of Magic did't like it as moding gear was too complicated.  I like a good story that continues to evolve any ideas?

Island Forge is all about player-created content, with a strong focus on storytelling. ("Create islands with stories for others to explore.") Consequently, the world's story/ies have endless potential to evolve!

What is more, the character system has been specifically designed to be un-complicated (but still intricate in a classic RPG kind of way).

I think you'd enjoy Island Forge, and I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm the (sole) developer. Thanks for your interest!

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

• BabySaamBabySaam Member Posts: 9
  • Kapalua2483Kapalua2483 Member Posts: 7

Happy to see at least one place that has us in it :)

I'm from the Shades of Truth Community.  Just a player but we're still around and kicking.  I've tried some of the other games on this list too because I would love to find a game with something similar to SOT's community but a bigger player base like we once had.  Unfortunately it's very difficult to find, so I stick to the good ole.

Though on the plus side we're about to get NPC enemy creatures back for hunting now (Makes leveling easier).  Though it requires skill to actually kill them, not like alot of games where you enter into a combat system.  It's free flowing and if you face off against one that is stronger than you can handle.  It'll punt you around lol.

• SunZooSunZoo Member Posts: 1

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I figured I'd add it.

Domainofheroes.com

It is a text based/browser based mmorpg with a huge list of races and classes to choose from, each with their pros and cons.  There are a lot of features of this game that stand out in providing a new experience, for me atleast, but what stands out the most is the fact that it can be played afk.  It is very intricate, but also a passive game you can manage to play in the background of other games, or even at work.  Countless types of weapons and equipments with 16 total equipment slots.  I could go on all day, but if you haven't checked it out yet, it's definitely worth it.  OH YEA!  It's free!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

+1 vote to add Ryzom to the list. I've spent the past few days playing it and it's an extremely unique and fun game.

<3

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Gatheryn no longer exists. It never made it out of the beta stage and I'm not sure what happened to it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Achaea definitely needs some exposure because it gave so many ideas to the MMORPG industry

• elchosenoneelchosenone Member Posts: 4

Parallel Kingdom is very unique from the rest of the pack b/c it's a location-based rpg. So your position in the game's overworld is determined by your real-life locale. And it  happens to be very deep, especially for a smartphone game, and getting deeper b/c the game is continuously updated.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Hey, I just noticed you added Vendetta Online, my favorite game of all time.  Major cool points image

Let me know if you need help or if you have any questions... in game or here.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    would you kindly change the BLUE color to a lighter tone, i can barely read any of it.

• bluezone5bluezone5 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Alganon is a great day. Extremely great game!!!
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Serious Sam 3

One of the better recent pc fps. It's not dishonoured or farcry 3, but its a ton more fun than cod.
  • PandahPandah Member CommonPosts: 5

I am surprised I don't see The Secret World. Since it has been B2P, the sub barrier is gone. The game is decent, more than decent, and it is very different with the ability to learn all weapons and spells on one toon and change abilities in and out on a whim, by fight or whenever without penalty or charge as long as you know them.

There is a learning curve to the game, but the community overall is great and the forums are stuffed with threads on how to make decent builds.

The missions are also very different. Along witht he basic missions there are stealth quests (quests that require you to go into dangerous areas sneakily, if you get caught you probably die) and puzzle missions (google is your friend... deciphering runes, morse code, ISBN codes from books, old songs, even Bible passages are clues) along with the regular kill and fetch quests.

I highly recomend The Secret World to any adult looking for something different, it has a rated M.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

opening post hasnt been updated since 2010. maybe get someone active to update and repost? then re stiocky?

• Fatality001133Fatality001133 Member Posts: 10
    How about Resident Evil 6 for PC? or Total War. I heard RE 6 have some nice graphics

• FroccsFroccs Member Posts: 1
    Having played Resident Evil 5 i am looking  forward to get my hands on RE6 finally. Friends of mine said it's really great, and the graphic is also beautiful.

My Blog here

• jaiceafjaiceaf Member Posts: 46

Panzar is a really unique game that I have recently picked up that I have become quite enchanted with. It is free to play and a MOBA. Skill based-aim based. Great smooth engine, blocking, mages, healers that do more than press buttons, tanks that are TRULY tanks. Please give the game a shot. I have more info about it in this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/385038/Panzar-Give-this-game-a-shot-F2P-.html

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Remove or update Faunasphere, Knights of Dream City, Mytheon, Dark Solstice, Roma Victor, MegaTen, Craft of Gods, Hostile Space, Underlight: Shades of Truth, Gatheryn, Spellborn, and Golemizer.

Dead links, generic redirects, or dead project pages.

The only reason I care about this list is because Vendetta Online and ATITD are on it.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• korbzykorbzy Member Posts: 30
    Add darkfall unholy wars, mmorpg with a subscription service but is fantastic
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by korbzy
    Add darkfall unholy wars, mmorpg with a subscription service but is fantastic

The OP doesn't post here anymore (link) so the list can no longer be updated. Might be worth it for someone else to start a new thread.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MuffinSGEMuffinSGE Member Posts: 9
    StarportGame.com

Looking for a fresh indie game that focuses on gameplay rater than income?

Starport: Galactic Empires is easily the most fun I've ever had. I've been playing it for over 5 years, and I'm still not considered a veteran. This is a game that never gets old, and that's why people stick around so long. With a huge open galaxy like EVE, where you can colonize planets, invade other people's colonies, form corporations, fight in ships, and start wars, the possibilities are endless. Everything is completely community driven and the developer listens to every concern that every player has, and integrates constant updates to meet their needs. The combat system is like none-other. No auto-aim and auto-shoot bullshit. This game requires serious skill. Not only are you shooting other players, but you're also pulling them around, repelling them, and rendering them immobile with EMP blasters. Every ship and weapon has a purpose, and the PVP is seamlessly balanced. The perfect combination of PVE and PVP: one day you'll be building your colonies, and the next you'll be part of a 5v5, firing nukes and maneuvering around planets, and then invading a colony with your buddies to stream-line the process. You can go solo, or with a corporation. This game offers everything, and if something doesn't satisfy, you can bring it up with our benevolent developer, Toonces. Then why is there only about 100 people playing it? 2 reasons: The admin doesn't pay for advertising anymore, and graphics. It's a 2D game, so most people dismiss it as trash. But the 2D actually offers up more possibilities than limitations. The 2D is why the combat system is so incredible! It's like PVP asteroids on steroids! And in my opinion, the small player-base is the best part. You get to know everyone in this close-knit community, and becoming #1 is actually feasible. Server-wide wars are started over a broken-friendship or a rumor. It's really very interesting. And as if the original game wasn't good enough, a new server called Blitzkrieg was added, offering 20 minute games of capture-and-hold that really puts the combat system to good use. Pure skill-based PVP that requires strategy and teamwork. If you get a chance to try Starport: Galactic Empires out, message me in game. My name is Muffin and I love to help out new players. My goal is to increase the player-base and bring this game to its former glory. Do me a favor and check out the website:

StarportGame.com

Thanks, Muffin