Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Review

Comments

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Since you didn't bother to give a reason I think your either lying or didn't do much research before going to all that trouble.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

Too me, their opinion just became invalid.. Of course if they give a reason then it wouldn't be invalid. I know I can be harsh..

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by medafor

I couldn't get into it, some of the classes look like final fantasy knock offs. starting zone was unimpressive, typical themepark. Not my cup of tea. To all saying give the game a chance, I did, why should you have to level to 10 or 20 to get off a starter island to enjoy the game, not an excuse. Everyone keeps saying the game picks up at level 20, IMO a game should pickup when you double click the icon on your desktop.

Lancer is nothing like Dragoon, warrior is nothing like warrior, Mystic is not like bard, Priest?  Yep not like white mage.

This just shows us you didn't even double click to start the game.

No idea what you are talking about, I said "looks like" visually, not "plays like" .  Seems you are  the " defender of Tera", calm down, people have the right to opinions, no one is like OMG TERA SUXOR! Some are just saying they didn't care for it, no need to call everyone out in this thread who didnt like it. Seems like you want a 2 page explaination of why people didn't like it, sorry we didn't get as deep into the game as you did, maybe I should get in the next beta and play for 30 more hours so I can be more descriptive for you. 

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I couldn't get into it, some of the classes look like final fantasy knock offs. starting zone was unimpressive, typical themepark. Not my cup of tea. To all saying give the game a chance, I did, why should you have to level to 10 or 20 to get off a starter island to enjoy the game, not an excuse. Everyone keeps saying the game picks up at level 20, IMO a game should pickup when you double click the icon on your desktop.

Lancer is nothing like Dragoon, warrior is nothing like warrior, Mystic is not like bard, Priest?  Yep not like white mage.

This just shows us you didn't even double click to start the game.

No idea what you are talking about, I said "looks like" visually, not "plays like" .  Seems you are  the " defender of Tera", calm down, people have the right to opinions, no one is like OMG TERA SUXOR! Some are just saying they didn't care for it, no need to call everyone out in this thread who didnt like it. Seems like you want a 2 page explaination of why people didn't like it, sorry we didn't get as deep into the game as you did, maybe I should get in the next beta and play for 30 more hours so I can be more descriptive for you. 

Honestly, I've learned to give a game a chance long enough before giving it a rating.I agree that a game should pickup right when you double click on the desktop. But unfortunately, games aren't like books we read or tv shows or movies we watch. So whether they captivate us for the first 10-20 levels or vice versa.. it never really plays out like we want. I think the best game would be one that starts you off in suspense and keeps you in suspense. Then ends with a bang.

I still think they should put a BAM, or two, on the starter island as to better represent the game. While it's smart to get people hooked right away when I think back to the good memories of past MMOs it's not the beginning.

There is no crystal ball to see if a game will hold you 1-max and beyond. It's important to see the potential with the systems in place. Also there are so many videos to watch it's insane. It doesn't capture what it's like to play but you can asertain a lot of info from them.

Ya that would be cool if they did.  Well there is the Dark Revelations BAM

This is true and did seem to be harder the last time I fought him but it was still solo with the NPC buddy lol.

Something that requires a group before 20 would be nice. They really missed the mark showing TERAs real gameplay pre-20. It's a shame but I certainly won't miss out on it :)

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

Honestly, I've learned to give a game a chance long enough before giving it a rating.I agree that a game should pickup right when you double click on the desktop. But unfortunately, games aren't like books we read or tv shows or movies we watch. So whether they captivate us for the first 10-20 levels or vice versa.. it never really plays out like we want. I think the best game would be one that starts you off in suspense and keeps you in suspense. Then ends with a bang.

thats called a well written book, movie, or designed singler player game XD. You can't have an end to mmorpgs, its purpose is to kill time, if you have a end the game well won't hold interest after it ends XD

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

A lot of people want to generally know if Tera is a good game.  It's good that a lot of people are being honest and admitting that they they only played the game for less than a day, and probably done no research prior.  And you're all entitled to your own opinions, but I cannot emphasize more how worthless uninformed opinions are to anybody seriously interested in playing the game.

Also please don't please don't continue to waste our time by trying to argue otherwise.

On-topic.  I did have my doubts, but so far I'm extremely pleased with the westernization changes to the game so far.  My only real complaint is how slow they are at getting content out on time.  If they can get can deliver quality content at a reasonable rate for a P2P game, then I am sold.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The following is opinion :D

I played TERA up to level 25 on both an archer and warrior and up to level 18 on a lancer and mystic.

Full disclosure: I cancelled by CE preorder.

Character Design:

Graphics are very well done and are not resource intensive. No eye color customization, but other than that, character customization is quite extensive. The armor is, of course, absolutely impractical for all females (outside of Amani) and some of the male races. There are few choices for those who do not want to have all their skin exposed, so make sure that you enjoy watching your character.

Questing:

This, RIGHT HERE, is the reason I canceled my pre-order. I won't pretend to know what being a "hard-core" PvE or PvP player is. However, what I know is that lore, story, and environment are important to me...nearly as important as combat (I'll get to that in a sec). What REALLY pisses me off with TERA is that it actually has a decent story and lore foundation. However, the PRESENTATION of the lore is so jarringly awful, especially when put next to the quality of the setting, that it was enough for me to not want to play on day one. I challenge people to read the quest text (even for just the main quest) and not cringe at how they have forced every single bit of lore into a Kill-10-Rats quest.

It seemed like all the creativity in this game went into making the enemies and combat; then, 1 week before the game was due to launch, they decided to put quests in.

I am an alt-oholic: I LOVE playing with different characters of different classes in most games. After making it to level 25 on two characters, I realized that I had absolutely no desire to have my character wiped and start all over again. Level 1-25 really just felt like work.

Combat:

Hit or miss, imo. I came in watching gameplay videos from trailers for this game, so I thought it would be sort of like vindictus in an open world. Instead, it winds up playing like Monster Hunter (great game).  The most jarring thing is the motion lock when using skills. I understand not being able to use skills when jumping; however, not being to use skills while strafing was a big disappointment.

This is most evident in Warrior gameplay. The warrior is probably the most agile class in the game. However, when they want to attack, they are all of a sudden rooted to the ground. It doesn't seem to fit with the class.

The most fun I had was with the archer. His skills (though few) allowed for a very active ranged dps style which I found very enjoyable.

The lancer is, imo, the best tank class design in any game. The rooted nature of combat actually seemed to fit the lancer's class style. Timing percisely when you wanted your shield up and then punishing opponents when they got too close was really fun. If you have a chance in beta, I recommend you pick this guy up.

Mystic was kind of "meh" for me. The rooted casting really pissed me off with the class as well. However, the targeted healing is a great addition.

All that said, I understand that the game would be a bit more difficult to balance with more movement. I just feel like had they been up to the task, they could have made the "True Action Combat" MMO that people most likely had in mind when they first saw TERA trailers.

PvP:

It's gear/skill based. any PvP that has a gear grind really doesn't appeal to me that much (I'm a huge fighting game fan...my costume shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether I win or not). Enchanting is RNG crazy...be prepared to pull out some hairs trying to get any equipment above +6.

------------------------------------

My opinion

Overall: 7.0

TERA is by no means a BAD game. In fact, I would say TERA is a really good MMO that had amazing potential. That said, TERA is being weighed down by two related problems.

The first is the quest design. There isn't a damn reason why people who made a game with combat this creative should be stifled to "please kill 10 piglings, and then 10 reapers, and then 10 deer" ad nauseum. With 90% of the game's experience being either kill x of y / fetch x of y, it get's tiring REALLY quick. Yes, kill 10 rats is in almost every game. However, most decent games actually provide context that the player would care about so it doesn't FEEL like it's a kill 10 rats quest.

The second problem, which is mostly based on the first issue, is that nearly NO ONE cares about the story or world that they are playing in. It is almost impossible for a game to be successful when no one feels any sort of connection to the game that they are playing. And worst of all, the only defense for this glaring flaw is "wait until you fight your first BAM @ level 20". TERA is a GAME...you should not have to feel like it's work, ESPECIALLY during the initial areas. If a game can not grab it's audience in the first 15-20 minutes, there is a VERY big problem. You would not tell someone to sit through the first 30 minutes of a 2 hour movie to wait for it to get good; why should we wait through the first 1/3 of levels for things to pick up?

Right now, I feel like TERA would make a really good F2P game. However, I could not see myself paying $10-15 a month for a game in which it feels that I care more about the portrayal of the game's lore and environment then the actual developers.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Most games truly begin at max lvl. Get max lvl in the game then you will have a better understanding. Use swtor as an example and one can assume that they only made the game for the leveling process. Look how well that game is doing now.....

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by hotix

Most games truly begin at max lvl. Get max lvl in the game then you will have a better understanding. Use swtor as an example and one can assume that they only made the game for the leveling process. Look how well that game is doing now.....

1.7 million active subs reported as of March?  I'd say it's doing very well.  But don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

It's fine to have end-game and unique mechanics and situations reserved for the level cap.

However, it is NOT ok to make the journey to that cap feel like you're working a 9-5.

What's the point of having fun content at the end of a game if there isn't enough at the beginning to hook the audience? The greatest resources in a game's development should always be in the tutorial and the beginning areas. You should feel like you have accomplished something incrementally throughout your experience.

It seems that we often forget that we are playing games and not simply working in a virtual world.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Vorch

It's fine to have end-game and unique mechanics and situations reserved for the level cap.

However, it is NOT ok to make the journey to that cap feel like you're working a 9-5.

What's the point of having fun content at the end of a game if there isn't enough at the beginning to hook the audience? The greatest resources in a game's development should always be in the tutorial and the beginning areas. You should feel like you have accomplished something incrementally throughout your experience.

It seems that we often forget that we are playing games and not simply working in a virtual world.

well all the mmorpg's makes u work in a virtual world it's always grind this and that, I have yet to play in one when u do not hv to worry abt levels, equipment, loot etc... grinding, grinding and more grinding....

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

1.7 million active subs reported as of March?  I'd say it's doing very well.  But don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

Not saying SW:TOR is a bad game although I didn't like it personally but...

believing the 1.7m is almost joke worthy, they went from every server being full/heavy on release to now almost all servers being medium/light with three/four hitting heavy at peak times and some servers are almost dead. 

So only 300k of 2m left the game? I don't believe America's worst company on this one tbh.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Not saying SW:TOR is a bad game although I didn't like it personally but...

believing the 1.7m is almost joke worthy, they went from every server being full/heavy on release to now almost all servers being medium/light with three/four hitting heavy at peak times and some servers are almost dead. 

So only 300k of 2m left the game? I don't believe America's worst company on this one tbh.

SWTOR is still going to have more people than Tera ever will in the US.  Why?  For a game thats supposed to be centred on pvp, it sure doesn't seem to have a whole lot of it and what it does have is pretty meaningless.  Someone else summed this up fairly well:

No battlegrounds of any kind at launch at least for solo players

Some kind of grouped battleground available(10 man)

Battlegrounds may be in this summer

World PvP has no real objectives or purpose, just gank

No PvP rewards

So as a solo PvPer why should I play TERA?

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=16270.msg1058517#msg1058517

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Xyched

I would have liked more grouping and fewer kill X rats quests, but I actually enjoyed the combat! When you're having fun killing ten rats, suddenly it's not such a game-breaker.

exACTly

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Cant decide if this game is TERAbad, or just TERAble

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Cant decide if this game is TERAbad, or just TERAble

Both.

/rimshot? Enjoy your other game then.

Ginaz, since you are here commenting you should look around some other threads about TERAs PvP, lots of good info.

Not everyone believes PvP needs to have more incentive to engage in it other than to fight other people. When it's fun you don't need to be "paid" to do it. I will trade TERAs Deathmatch system for the three battlegrounds you get in SWTOR any day.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

TERAs deathmatch system. <3

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

/rimshot? Enjoy your other game then.

Ginaz, since you are here commenting you should look around some other threads about TERAs PvP, lots of good info.

Not everyone believes PvP needs to have more incentive to engage in it other than to fight other people. When it's fun you don't need to be "paid" to do it. I will trade TERAs Deathmatch system for the three battlegrounds you get in SWTOR any day.

There has to be a reason to pvp other than just for the hell of it.  Having fun is important but after awhile if theres no point to it, then it just becomes glorified dueling.  I enjoyed playing as a Bounty Hunter in pre-nge swg because there was a consequence to my actions (loss of xp from the Jedi players I killed).  The only in game reward/incentive I got were credits but it was still the most fun I've ever had in an MMO because of what was at stake (I also enjoyed fighting BHs playing my Jedi).  After the nge was put in place, there were no consequences at all other than the minor inconvenience of the loss of time and buffs so it was pointless. 

If you have any facts to refute the perception that there isn't much to  pvp in this game, esp. for solo players, please feel free to present them.  And if I wanted a deathmatch system, I'll play a FPS or World of Tanks.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

PvP reward systems in mmo's should only be look based and not stat based.

If i beat a guy down 4 times i wanne know my skills did it not my gear.

Iam not looking forward to Tera as the information ive read leads me to believe this one will end up like Aion  / Warhammer / SWTOR real fast.

Keeping my eye on GW2 / Planetside 2 / Dust 514 for competitive pvp.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The further they are from lunch, the better they look ;)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

When it's fun you don't need to be "paid" to do it.

exACTly.

its funny how people are proud to proclaim that they need some game system to tell them what to do and how to have "fun", via collecting "rewards".  when there is absolutely nothing rewarding about the gameplay itself.

just proves the games those kind of people play aren't any fun, that you have to be led around by the nose by an itemized script giving you a milkbone everytime you jump thru your hoop, rollover or play dead.  maybe its not so much playing anymore as actually becoming dead inside from all the mundane activities you're being commanded to do.

kinda sad to see what so many MMO players have been reduced to.  little hoop jumping lapdogs.

Corpus Callosum