Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are we waiting for?

I've been following MMORPGs since 2007. By now, I've noticed there is always some big game on the horizon that will change the whole genre and become the game we were looking for all along.

I remember playing WoW and people were talking about AoC and WAR and about how awesome they were going to be. There  have been  many others since then: Rift and SWTOR to name just a couple.

But still people are waiting. And have been waiting. Even niche communities are waiting for their niche game saviors. I'm a Darkfall player and I have to admit I'm looking forward to Darkfall 2. I realize it's stupid.

A lot of people are waiting for GW2, ArcheAge, Secret World,  WildStar, or even SWTOR patch 1.2. Soon enough people will be waiting for an announcement of an Elder Scrolls mmorpg. And the waiting for that will begin if it has not already.

Wnat are you waiting for and why?

EDIT: I voted "nothing" -- besides Darkfall 2  ;)  -- because no game lives up to the hype for me in the sense that I haven't played a game for longer than 3 months since Darkfall, which I have since re-subbed to for my fix in between playing Skyrim. I was waiting for GW2 but with the whole recent cash shop blow up, not so much. It doesn't mean I won't buy or play the game. It's just that I'm not waiting for it, much less looking forward to it.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Diablo 3

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I have been waiting for GW2 since it was announced 5 years ago.  no other game has impressed me enough to get me excited about it.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

This thread reminds me of what my Granny used to say about jobs, "The best job is the one you just left or the one you are going to." But my Granny also named her shoes and talked to them.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by grimm6th

I have been waiting for GW2 since it was announced 5 years ago.  no other game has impressed me enough to get me excited about it.

I feel the same way, though Archeage comes in a close 2nd.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

GW2, and Elder Scrolls next. In that specific order. :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I am waiting for the roast I have in the oven to cook.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Guild Wars 2. Nothing else offers what I want out of an MMO. Except maybe Planetside 2, which comes 2nd to GuildWars 2.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

GW2. there's nothing else on the horizon in the MMO world even remotely interesting, no offense to those who are awaiting TERA, TSW, etc. oh wait, DOTA2 will be epic.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

GW2, but also D3 which for those that havent played it will only offer about 1 month of game play tops and I am curious about Wild Star and Archage.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

I'm waiting for GW2 and ArcheAge.  To be honest though, I think I'll end up playing more ArcheAge.  For those of us wanting a good sandbox to come out, GW2 won't give us what we want.  It just doesn't have any sandbox elements at all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna play the crap out of GW2, but more as an 'e-sport'.  ArcheAge I think will fulfill the adventure, sandbox, and other hardcore elements that I and many others are waiting for.  That being said, I like that GW2 is not going to be a sandbox.  I like how it should provide very balanced PvP, with fun combat, and freedom to choose how you want to level.  For me GW2 = quick weekday fix, ArcheAge = weekend play.  Can't wait.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

I am planning on playing GW2, TSW, and AA.

However I am also working on my own game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Waiting for ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal, Lineage 3 and Everquest Next.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Definitely GW2. Planetside 2 also looks awesome, and while I'm a bit curious about AA, there's just not enough solid info on the game to get super excited about it.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

Pathfinder Online

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am waiting on some of the stuff, like EQ Next (seems like it will have a lot of exploration, and hopefully more like EQ originally, maybe more sandboxish), Coppernicus (maybe, maybe not, not enough info, if it is standard fair, then not, but hoping they try something new), AA if it ever comes west...Their are a few others, but I would say I am the most excited to hear about what EQ Next will be like.

I am waiting on GW2, but thats mostly for WvWvW...Cash shop, we will have to wait and see, and the dynamic events and such seem like quest loops, and I am not sure how the crafting system and others will work...I am looking forward to it, but not so much as a whole package...I can also do without the arena stuff, prefer fps type stuff if I want that.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

I'm happily playing Spiral Knights and Uncharted Waters Online right now.  And I'm still going to go back to Champions Online sometime.  And I also want to give Europa Universalis 3 a fair shot.  By the time I'm done with all of that, Guild Wars 2 will be out, and whatever problems there are with the launch will have long since been fixed.  Why sit here and wait?

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Xthos

I am waiting on some of the stuff, like EQ Next (seems like it will have a lot of exploration, and hopefully more like EQ originally, maybe more sandboxish), Coppernicus (maybe, maybe not, not enough info, if it is standard fair, then not, but hoping they try something new), AA if it ever comes west...Their are a few others, but I would say I am the most excited to hear about what EQ Next will be like.

I am waiting on GW2, but thats mostly for WvWvW...Cash shop, we will have to wait and see, and the dynamic events and such seem like quest loops, and I am not sure how the crafting system and others will work...I am looking forward to it, but not so much as a whole package...I can also do without the arena stuff, prefer fps type stuff if I want that.

Sadly it looks like EQ next is going to be a facebook style game, not an update of EQ1.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Boatsmate

This thread reminds me of what my Granny used to say about jobs, "The best job is the one you just left or the one you are going to." But my Granny also named her shoes and talked to them.

LMAO. We need more Granny's like that.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

Waiting for PlanetSide 2 and Tera.. 

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

A deep RPG charecter progression system that is also an MMO. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• I.GunslingerI.Gunslinger Member Posts: 16

I'm waiting for an EVE leve of amazing sandbox experience, something dark and dystopian, in either a cyberpunk or weird west setting.

I'm worried I'll still be waiting when I die.

(Maybe The Secret World will suffice)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by Xthos

Sadly it looks like EQ next is going to be a facebook style game, not an update of EQ1.

No merit to that rumor imo...I do not think a facebook game is going to be 'huge, with exploration, to recapture the spirit of EQ'...That was the last real information...  I think PS2 is getting most of the attention atm, but we will see...  Nothing suprises me anymore, but from everything I have heard (which isn't much, as they don't want to tip their hand) it isn't in the mold of a browser game.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by I.Gunslinger

I'm waiting for an EVE leve of amazing sandbox experience, something dark and dystopian, in either a cyberpunk or weird west setting.

I'm worried I'll still be waiting when I die.

(Maybe The Secret World will suffice)

Wait a second. You say you're waiting for an Eve-like sandbox MMO, yet you would settle for The Secret World themepark MMO, in a modern setting. image

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

waiting for GW2 and then Archage to satisfy the sandbox hunger inside me.  Gw2 offers everything i want and more, they also made awesome twists with its story.

And maybe if they do not flop FF14 2.0, why not? (This time i wont jump on the game without trying like before.)

• nakkinakki Member Posts: 56

I'm waiting for a game called elderlands www.lothgar.com. For me that game will give much more entertainment than most of the current and boring games that have non existent community and player build economy. Only downside will be the player base of elderlands and likely not enough people will play it to actually have fun. There is a small player base for such games still left tho.