Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arabian Nights Themed MMO, Why Not?

NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really getting sick and tired of the standard elf, dwarf, medieval, low fantasy and high fantasy stock settings.  While there are a few Sci Fi themed games, why can't dev's / companies dip into some different background settings.

I for one would love to see an Arabian Nights like setting.  As far as I know only the brower based game Nadiam is set in this theme.  There's a book out titled Desert of Souls that would fall into the low fantasy area nicely.  You could still have your elves and dwarves but all clothing, armor, spells etc ... would be a la Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Nebless

You could still have your elves and dwarves but all clothing, armor, spells etc ... would be a la Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves.

So, basically LotRO in silk skirts and pants and wearing veils then?  Instead of gathering 10 Wolf Tails it will be 10 Camel Tails?  ;)

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

hmm I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining dwarves and elves in an Arabian Nights setting. image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

We have Arabian Nights in every West-European city for free already.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by melangel

hmm I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining dwarves and elves in an Arabian Nights setting. image

That is because you never played Al-Quadim, Forgotten realms middle eastern setting.

But I guess it would work (EQ2 have an expansion based on the theme) but I rather have a historical game instead. Something without magic.

Originally posted by Loke666

That is because you never played Al-Quadim, Forgotten realms middle eastern setting.

But I guess it would work (EQ2 have an expansion based on the theme) but I rather have a historical game instead. Something without magic.

Not heard of that Loke.  I'd rather have something without dwarves and elves. Without magic well that too. Though I wouldn't mind some new kind of magic that doesn't involve carrying a magic wand or staff etc.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not heard of that Loke.  I'd rather have something without dwarves and elves. Without magic well that too. Though I wouldn't mind some new kind of magic that doesn't involve carrying a magic wand or staff etc.

Not a D&D player I guess... But yeah, mixing creatures from norse mythology with middle eastern is kinda silly.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Elikal

We have Arabian Nights in every West-European city for free already.

That's probably the worst post you ever made on these boards, at least from the posts I've read.

To the OP: check out Vanguard, one of the three continents there has a Middle Eastern theme.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Not a D&D player I guess... But yeah, mixing creatures from norse mythology with middle eastern is kinda silly.

ah ha! We've played DnD quite a bit with our boys in the past but never heard of that version. We are at best mediocre as a family at it but we do have fun which is the point! And yea I'd have a tough time wrapping my head around Norse mythology + Arabian Night style setting image P.S. Holding my hands up to admit I am the worst at DnD in my family

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

My name is in that book.

:P

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

My name is in that book.

wayne jr? (sorry had to ask :D )

My name is in that book.

wayne jr? (sorry had to ask :D )

The only wayne on the credits page.

;)

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

;)

that is pretty damn cool tbh!!!image

P.S. and I didn't mean to insinuate the ideas in the game were bad. Just my imagination might be too broken to grasp it :P

;)

P.S. and I didn't mean to insinuate the ideas in the game were bad. Just my imagination might be too broken to grasp it :P

The setting is too niche.

;)

The setting is too niche.

:( Though it seems it's the sort of thing Nebless who started this thread is looking for so that's not a bad thing :)

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Awesome theme. Throw in some events and characters like from,"Jason And The Argonauts", "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad", "Ali Baba And The 40 Thieves (or was it 30?). Cool wardrobe and weapons from that genere too. Boats, flying Carpets, Genies,what's not to like?

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Why cant we just start creating our own IP's rather than piggy backing on old ideas?

Seriously, the D&D model is great but overdone, the tolkien based lore same thing.

WHen are developers going to create a IP based on the game they are making, rather than shoehorning an old IP into the game?  And by create a new IP i dont mean a new twist on the same concepts. 

Is there anything out there that tries to escape the fantasy middle ages?  Or ancient mythology lore? 

THeres gotta be a way to make a new story up..

Im just sick to death of it all i guess, i know TSW is attempting to spin modern consperiacy theroies and ancient mythology into a new lore but its all within existing stories....

Are there any deep thinkers out there in the mmorpg industry? Ones who are not afraid to make a completely new lore and IP and setting with no ties to previous ones?

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Can we get Robin Williams to do the VO?

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Well TTS is purely human as far as playable races. And the main enemies are from the Children of the Thousand Suns role playing setting. CotTS possesses all the traditional races but they exist in only a small fraction of sub settings.

I would like to note that many races in CotTS have some similarity to races from other IPs. Its hard to come up with an entirely new concept these days, however it does diverge from nearly all traditional fantasy settings.

TTS itself is set in the post-Fall of the Ascendancy Old World. I was considering whether to use traditional fantasy races or some of the various analogues, or going for one of the more obscure and unique settings. However the game is centered in a more or less traditiona fantasy setting technology wise. In particular post medieval but pre steampunk with the magic system being relatively divergent.

@Crunchy I hear ya really. Seriously I dunno how many more dwarves and elves and such the MMO industry can take. It is just boring now at least to me. Though I don't know how easy it would be to come up with a completely new IP either. I guess I'm not the only one who's had difficulty in some games trying to wrap my brain around a backstory that is just not interesting ENOUGH. Since you have to start somewhere and even with a new IP it's hard to come up with a completely new subject I reckon. Same when it comes to writing books. Even Terry Pratchet as brilliant as he is uses magic though I think his world is simply amazing and despite the magic it manages to be unique. So you've got things like Fantasy, Sci Fi, Futuristic (could fit in Sci Fi depends though) Horror, etc and all the sub directories those subjects might have. Regardless the hypothetical new IP will fit somewhere in there and it's unlikely it will be alone completely. I really wouldn't mind if someone converted stories already written or other material already out there into an MMO as long as it's not yet another in the long line of games that give you the been there done that a squillion times now feeling. LotR Online, Conan and others show us it's a pretty tricky process to get right. Ever the optimist (why else am I here?) I think someone WILL manage to do it and do it well eventually. Even then it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea and as waynejr pointed out, you risk being niche. BIG long paragraph just to say I agree with you and I haven't a clue how to make it happen image

@Cuathon steampunk rocks and I'd be all over a really good steampunk MMO :P

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Me too actually; but I was thinking of all the complaining that went on with the last "human's only" game  that came out - TOR.  Would I rather they weren't in a true Arabian Nights style game vice a DnD / T&T version?  Yes, very much so.

AoC had the one starting area (Stygia) that was Egyptian themed.  Visually beautiful zone, nice (different) theme.  Funcom just didn't keep it going for leveling. 

As to the low fantasy comment.  Not really talking about magic with wands and spells, but genie's, ginn's etc .... would kick it towards fastasy or even historical if you take all that as the natural order of things.

About the only comment on here that answered my question was:

"The setting is too niche."

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter