Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the game F2P how are they going to avoid Pay2Win?

ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

since the game is a FPS and not really an RPG at heart, there isn't much in social gear or things for visual looks.  So I am thinking of what types of things they will have at their item store.  Everything that comes to mind is Pay2Win type gear and stuff, which isn't appealing to me.

How do you make a game F2P and not Pay2Win in this type of MMO?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

It's SOE they will think of a lot of things.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

What makes you think people dont want cosmetic items in an mmofps?

C

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Well, I generally associate cosmetic items with RPG games and not FPS games.  Maybe there will be a bit enough demand for it in Planetside2 that they will be able to maintain the game.  I just think it would be harder than selling "socerers hats" or "unicorm mounts" to RPers in a MMORPG game.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Given the option to have a CS with non vital, not advantage giving items like cosmetics and making a bit of money...

And packing their cash shop with pay to win items and having everyone who wants to win buy, making tons of money.

Which route do you think this company is going to take?

Oh and F2P games never *start* as buy to win...they slowly evolve to one.  Sucks in more suckers that way...gets them wrist deep into the game ect.

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Actually SOE is the one F2p company you can trust to not make a game P2w, they succeeded in making a good cash shop for DCUO and they can do it again.

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

i'm more worried about how they'll deal with aimbotters

hell if I can just recreate a new account when banned i might just aimbot myself and lol as I grief people

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Cawickeng

Actually SOE is the one F2p company you can trust to not make a game P2w, they succeeded in making a good cash shop for DCUO and they can do it again.

Exactly people say oh look arenanet has a history of non pay 2 win cash shops but dont give SOE the same credit.   SOE has had a cash shop in EQ, EQ2, DCUO and several other games non of them are pay 2 win despite EQ2 being totally free to play for awhile now and EQ going f2p in a week.

What you can expect is the same thing arenanet will do.  Any and all content patches will cost money that is the only way to recoup development cost of the content.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I assume the game is going to cost $60 to buy, no? 

F2P just refers to no monthly fee... right?

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by fadis

I assume the game is going to cost $60 to buy, no? 

F2P just refers to no monthly fee... right?

no that would be B2P

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think they will find a way to avoid it. Like other people are saying here SOE is very good about their cash shops usually, the premium subs might be required in their games that went F2P from P2P, but they definately don't make it pay to win. I assume they will have cosmetic skins, and maybe gun skins for purchase. I'm fine with the idea of it being F2P with a cash shop as long as they don't start the path that Gamersfirst took, with putting items other than cosmetics in their shooter games cash shops.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Hopefully they will only offer Cosmetic upgrades.  And I can tell you right now, a LOT of gamers would pay to kill someone with a floppy rubber dong (that costs 15 dollars in store).  =)

I personally have never really cared what my character looks like, but obviously enough players do because WoW, LOTRO, and MANY other MMO's have invested a lot of development time into cosmetic clothing systems...

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Oh shit this is great two MMOs that won't be having no P2P or P2W payment plans, this is great year for MMOs(PS 2 coming out this year right?)

Hey I can't wait for optional shit to buy like cosmectic items, character slots, holiday outfits, and etc.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by dikky

hell if I can just recreate a new account when banned i might just aimbot myself and lol as I grief people

They wont be able to deal with aimbotters no company in the history of shooters has been able to stop them. and being a game that is free it will be infested with them. 

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I'm sure they dont want to avoid anything,they just want to earn cash.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

They wont be able to deal with aimbotters no company in the history of shooters has been able to stop them. and being a game that is free it will be infested with them. 

SOE will be able to deal with them because this is a PC game that acts different then say COD on the PC.   Aimbots on consoles are easier to use because companys are limited to the xbox or PS3s updates and one someone find a way to beat that version the bots arnt stopped until the next update for that console/game.

Any AIM bot has to interact with the game client and right now SOEs launcher scans the exe for modules that are not suppose to be loaded into it.  While theres a way around it by simply closing the launcher after you load your game this will not be possible in the future.   Will this stop the really good hackers ?  No but it will stop the avg joe  from doing it and limit the use.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by Vidir

I'm sure they dont want to avoid anything,they just want to earn cash.

Correction: I'm sure they want to avoid anything that has to do with NOT making cash.

Originally posted by William12

SOE will be able to deal with them because this is a PC game that acts different then say COD on the PC.   Aimbots on consoles are easier to use because companys are limited to the xbox or PS3s updates and one someone find a way to beat that version the bots arnt stopped until the next update for that console/game.

Any AIM bot has to interact with the game client and right now SOEs launcher scans the exe for modules that are not suppose to be loaded into it.  While theres a way around it by simply closing the launcher after you load your game this will not be possible in the future.   Will this stop the really good hackers ?  No but it will stop the avg joe  from doing it and limit the use.

honestly i really REALLY hope your right, i have been dealing with stupid cheaters for years in shooters and im at the point now were im just over it. when games get to infested i just quit because im tired of dealing with it.

I know they will never stop the really good cheaters but stopping the average joe from googleing hacks and getting away with it will be a step in the right direction.

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

they said they are considering using punk buster. Punk buster can't even stop hackers from ruining a game that has a $60 buy in.

in this game so what if you get banned, just download the latest hack, play for a few days until the new hack is recognized by the system, get banned and then get the new hack and repeat ad nasuem.

maybe they'll make it so accounts need to be tied to a non-giftcard CC#

they said they are considering using punk buster. Punk buster can't even stop hackers from ruining a game that has a $60 buy in.

in this game so what if you get banned, just download the latest hack, play for a few days until the new hack is recognized by the system, get banned and then get the new hack and repeat ad nasuem.

if its true and they use punkbuster then i wont even waste my time in this game because its already over

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Actually they said that PunkBuster is only one of their toolset in place to prevent hacking.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

I don't believe they confirmed PB or not.   They just said considering.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

like every MMOFPS / Lobby online FPS out there they most likely will add in game limited time weapons that you can get permanently with real money. Not sure about anything else.... plus its SOE. Lets wait and see

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some will and if the game were B2P that could have worked but now I don't see it bring in the revenue they need.

And we are talking SOE here, they introduced the itemshop in P2P MMOs, they will go too far.

They can make pretty fun (if somewhat buggy and unoptimized) games but they are as greedy as EA and activision if not worse. I am willing to bet on that this game will be pay2win. :(

Originally posted by Loke666

Some will and if the game were B2P that could have worked but now I don't see it bring in the revenue they need.

And we are talking SOE here, they introduced the itemshop in P2P MMOs, they will go too far.

They can make pretty fun (if somewhat buggy and unoptimized) games but they are as greedy as EA and activision if not worse. I am willing to bet on that this game will be pay2win. :(

PS2 has a small budget VERY small budget because they didnt have to license or buy a game engine.   

Regards to pay2win.  Has SOE ever showed a game where you pay2win ?   EQ has had a cash shop for years nothing is pay2win and its f2p now and sitll nothing is pay2win.  EQ2 is f2p nothing is pay2win.    SOE has no history of puting pay2win items in the cash shop.  If you do some research you will find plenty of quotes and video from producers in SOE saying what will be in the cash shop.

I also think you underestimate how many people will purchase cosmetics because they like the way they look or how often they change that look.   Another thing that will be in the cash shop if i remember right is different weapons, but they wont be any better then what your character already has I.E IF you have a weapon that does x damage, but hate the look theres weapons that do the same damage but different looks in the cash shop and that is far from pay2win since you're getting the same weapon back just a different look.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by Loke666

PS2 has a small budget VERY small budget because they didnt have to license or buy a game engine.   

Regards to pay2win.  Has SOE ever showed a game where you pay2win ?   EQ has had a cash shop for years nothing is pay2win and its f2p now and sitll nothing is pay2win.  EQ2 is f2p nothing is pay2win.    SOE has no history of puting pay2win items in the cash shop.  If you do some research you will find plenty of quotes and video from producers in SOE saying what will be in the cash shop.

I also think you underestimate how many people will purchase cosmetics because they like the way they look or how often they change that look.   Another thing that will be in the cash shop if i remember right is different weapons, but they wont be any better then what your character already has I.E IF you have a weapon that does x damage, but hate the look theres weapons that do the same damage but different looks in the cash shop and that is far from pay2win since you're getting the same weapon back just a different look.

Well technically every expansion would be pay 2 win. As you could still play Planet Side without buying the expacs, you would just be denied access to whatever stupid weapons that were associated with the xpac.