Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the best MMO to come out since WoW

Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

WoW was my first MMO and only one I ever actually played. I tried a lot of others but they all sucked compared to WoW. I even tried EVE, but the community was horrible compared to WoW's community.

I avoided playing SWTOR because of all the hate it gets, but yesterday I bought it and played all day. And wow! This just overtook WoW for me. The world (on origin world, and it only gets bigger) is huge. Graphics are top notch, in terms of art style and the customization for characters is amazing. But what really stands this MMO apart from the others is the amazing voice acting. It is better than Tortage in AoC, the only good part of that MMO. I just love going through this huge story that other MMOs just don't have.

I mentioned graphics, which are amazing and some of the best of any MMO. But the animations and cut scenes really make it. I've played SWTOR for about 10 hours now and having the most fun I've had in an MMO. My guy is a Sith Sorceror and its amazing going pewpewpew.

Also, the community is actually better than WoW's, which a lot of MMOs fail in that regard. There are people all over the place going about their business, chat isn't full of trolls complaining about WoW and getting groups is incredibly easy. This is probably a better grouping game than WoW, which already was good for groups.

Anyway I'll end this year as I know a lot are like "tldr"...so to sum it up: Best MMO since WoW, maybe the best MMO ever and everything about SWTOR is amazing. Never have I been so into a story in a game, MMO or not. Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

Comments

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

I don't think playing for a single day is enough to base judgement of "the best MMO you've ever played"

For me SWTOR was the greatest game ever.... For about a week

And your 10 million subscriber comment is hilarious

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by korent1991

He's not trolling. We were all once like him

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Isasis

WoW was my first MMO and only one I ever actually played. I tried a lot of others but they all sucked compared to WoW. I even tried EVE, but the community was horrible compared to WoW's community.

I avoided playing SWTOR because of all the hate it gets, but yesterday I bought it and played all day. And wow! This just overtook WoW for me. The world (on origin world, and it only gets bigger) is huge. Graphics are top notch, in terms of art style and the customization for characters is amazing. But what really stands this MMO apart from the others is the amazing voice acting. It is better than Tortage in AoC, the only good part of that MMO. I just love going through this huge story that other MMOs just don't have.

I mentioned graphics, which are amazing and some of the best of any MMO. But the animations and cut scenes really make it. I've played SWTOR for about 10 hours now and having the most fun I've had in an MMO. My guy is a Sith Sorceror and its amazing going pewpewpew.

Also, the community is actually better than WoW's, which a lot of MMOs fail in that regard. There are people all over the place going about their business, chat isn't full of trolls complaining about WoW and getting groups is incredibly easy. This is probably a better grouping game than WoW, which already was good for groups.

Anyway I'll end this year as I know a lot are like "tldr"...so to sum it up: Best MMO since WoW, maybe the best MMO ever and everything about SWTOR is amazing. Never have I been so into a story in a game, MMO or not. Will definitely easily have 10 million subscribers or more if they keep coming out with updates.

i play swtor and i can tell you it aintthe best mmo ever,thats for sure..you really need to broaden your horizons before you make a statement like that..also played wow,and they basically have the same formula.swtor is ok ,has for your statement about gfx..there are tons more games out there that look way better than this.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I actually agree with the OP, but that's not a good thing by any means, it just shows how low this genre has sunk since WOW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Im hesistant on giving it a try still, I like staw wars, but am no junkie for it. So the theme really won't draw me into it, besides I don't really feel like the passion would be there in an MMO for SW then a sprpg would, but hey thats me. As long as you realize that this is your opinion thats cool, I hope you enjoy your time playing it! It's hard for me to get out of the WoW rut personally, I been playing MMO's years before wow and joined wow when bc came out. It's not perfect and it doesn't have much fun things to do, but there is something beautiful to me about it's painterly look, and lore. I've tried a handful of mmo's since it's launch like Aion, Rift, Lotro, etc. And they all feel rather bleek. I want to try out some serious sanbox MMO's like vanguard or eve, but keep forgetting to and also I don't want to waste anymore money on duds to me :(. I was a big guild wars fan before I played wow and even during, but now recently with what I saw in the cash shop + it may have console support I'm a little scared for how it will actually shape up to be. Shame this genre has SOOOO much potential but no company wants to take afvantage of it it seems....

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Im glad you are enjoying it and having fun. 

I felt the same way as you for about 2 months. Levelling and the personal storylines in SWTOR are great, but there isnt much to do at endgame.

I invite you to come back and let us know what you think after a couple of months.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Use of a superlative to describe a game here,even had you tacked on the disclaimer,"imo" will make you a small ,furry target with bulls eyes on both sides. Good luck with that. Glad you are enjoying the game though.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• phatleetphatleet Member Posts: 19

Did I only get the sarcasm in the op's words?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Jason2444

No we werent all like him. I didnt think wow was the best game. Maybe vanilla was good but after that. I personally played EQ1 for 5 years, then wow for 2 years, then moved on. In addition I thought swtor was ok... Not the best game since wow.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't see it ever getting 10 million players, do you even understand how many players that are?

TOR is already the second largest MMO who ever came out, few games before it have topped even one million players and none have kept them past a month.

But TOR is too close to a singleplayer game to ever have that many players, it is mainly focused on telling a story but both the PvP and endgame are far from perfect and still need a lot of work.

If the game would have been F2P or B2P 10 millions are possible, but I don't see it happening now, I don't see it come up to 10 million boxes sold ever. You can actually count the PC games that sold that well on the fingers on your left hand (The Sims (1, 2 & 3), World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, StarCraft and Battlefield 2), yeah, I count all the sims as one game but they each sold over 10 million copies.

TOR is not a bad game but I think it will be hit rather hard when GW2 releases. While GW2 have less of a story it offers as least as much other stuff without a monthly fee.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

im seriously considering nominating the OP for the funniest post of the year award, no seriously, i laughed my socks off reading that one, he should do stand up comedy, he really should image

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by phatleet

Did I only get the sarcasm in the op's words?

I didn't pick up on any sarcasm. But I do sense a little fanboyish/overinflated view of the game that may or may not be a troll attempt.

It's sad that someone can make a very postitive post about TOR and we all think he's trolling. I like TOR also (see XFire stats) but I would never post what OP did. It's not all rainbows and puppies like he is implying. Maybe after 1.2?image

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

There's no way the OP is actually serious.

That being said, I played SWTOR for about a month and now I'm back to playing WoW... so, imo, no MMO has yet to top the fun factor of WoW, but I AM going to agree that it's the best one to come out since 2004/WoW. Not to mention that SWTOR doesn't look much better, plays worse, and has a ton more bugs (which you can say "the game just came out and WoW's been out for 7 years" or however long to, but that doesn't matter in a genre where you're competing for players).

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't see it ever getting 10 million players, do you even understand how many players that are?

TOR is already the second largest MMO who ever came out, few games before it have topped even one million players and none have kept them past a month.

But TOR is too close to a singleplayer game to ever have that many players, it is mainly focused on telling a story but both the PvP and endgame are far from perfect and still need a lot of work.

If the game would have been F2P or B2P 10 millions are possible, but I don't see it happening now, I don't see it come up to 10 million boxes sold ever. You can actually count the PC games that sold that well on the fingers on your left hand (The Sims (1, 2 & 3), World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, StarCraft and Battlefield 2), yeah, I count all the sims as one game but they each sold over 10 million copies.

TOR is not a bad game but I think it will be hit rather hard when GW2 releases. While GW2 have less of a story it offers as least as much other stuff without a monthly fee.

/sigh

WTF is wrong with folks!

Why is it always about numbers? To be honest, of all your post this right here suprises me the most.

Also to mention again how some of you continue to label it as a SIngleplayer game.

-Flashpoints

-World Bosses (at various lvls)

-Heroic Missions

-Operations

-Pvp (Premades)

The players make the choice to engange with other fellow players in game not the game itself.

The very exact and same tool used in even before WoW is still there; Chat Box.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by StoneRoses

/sigh

WTF is wrong with folks!

Why is it always about numbers? To be honest, of all your post this right here suprises me the most.

Also to mention again how some of you continue to label it as a SIngleplayer game.

-Flashpoints

-Heroic Missions

-Operations

-Pvp (Premades)

The players make the choice to engange with other fellow players in game not the game itself.

Because it FEELS like it is a signleplayer game when you're playing it... Atleast it did for me, and the server population didn't help a bit there since it suddenly dropped after the honeymoon...

The game doesn't feel like it's worth the money, in my opinion.. That's why I unsubbued.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

There are certainly things that SW:TOR does well. The storylines, right down to voice acting, are excellent. (I'd have expected no less from Bioware, of course.) The way companions are used is clever, giving extra combat control, some aspect of group dynamic even when solo, and - this struck me as particularly inspired - using companions for crafting so you can multitask. And the environments are great. Even as a casual SW fan I enjoy the world variety.

That said, I wonder if they understand what actually makes an MMO work. A supposedly Massive Multiplayer game should be designed to simplify and encourage player interactions. That should be the mindset through all of development. Group-forming functions. Cross-server tools. Global chat channels. Reasons to replay, so low-middle levels aren't vacant 3 months after release. Thriving trade (again, cross-server). Many large cooperative raids of varying difficulties. These are the minimal things they must do to form a community.

I also don't think they understand how to build an open world. There's a lot of space between forced linear and hiding things in the corner. Off the top of my head I know advanced classes and some of the mid-level flashpoints were quite easy to miss - and many people did. (Advanced classes seem both linear and hidden, since the first time I went to the trainer and couldn't pick a class until I found my way back to the random guy who tells me to go to the trainer.) Most MMOs know the formula: a simple unchained delivery quest from A to B introduces players to key areas. Guidance but unrequired.

Oh, and I'm nowhere near top level yet. (I haven't had time to play all year until earlier this week.) There's much I really want to like, but it sure seems they missed some important stuff.)

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Its awesome to see people who dont listen to the trolls of the community.  Swtor recieves so much hate, even on this thread you made your gonna get haters but trying out games is the only way to see if you will like it.  I also agree this is the best MMO since WoW.  GW2 may change that who  knows, either way I can play both because GW2 is b2p.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by StoneRoses

/sigh

WTF is wrong with folks!

-Flashpoints

-Heroic Missions

-Operations

-Pvp (Premades)

Because it FEELS like it is a signleplayer game when you're playing it... Atleast it did for me, and the server population didn't help a bit there since it suddenly dropped after the honeymoon...

The game doesn't feel like it's worth the money, in my opinion.. That's why I unsubbued.

I gotta say, while I don't feel the game is worthy of my sub, as well, it feeling like a single player game was never an issue. It actually felt more multiplayer than any other MMO I've played in a while because of heroic areas and stuff. At the very least, it never felt any less multiplayer than other games. So I honestly have no clue why anyone would feel this way in SWTOR.

That being said, they still could have tried harder to make the game even MORE multiplayer, but that would have required thinking out of the box, which apparently BioWare isn't good at anymore. :p

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I see what you did here...   My only question is:   Did you bite your tongue?  

I went with tongue-in-cheeck, dead-pan sarcasm.   

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Must resist urge to post nasty commentrff's fg.fgd/sfsf///gdfyashr4u6845w78

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

He's not trolling. I WAS once like him

Edited for you.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Swtor is bad but wow is worse.

Not even close.  

Aion peaked at 4 million and still has 2.5 million subs and is converting to F2P.   Lineage  peaked at 3.25 million.    Lineage II peaked at 2.1 million and SWTOR will never pass that seeing that they couldn't even keep the 1.7 million they had in December.   Guild Wars 1 sold over 6.5 million.