Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 CBT3 | Good PvP & WvW Videos

Comments

• Its too bad the press server was so hugely over populated in comparison to the others.

Makes the videos one sided and therefore somehwat boring.  As we all know one sided battles are fairly boring and the main reason to even have 3 factions.

I kept wonder why the end fights were like 5 on 30 until MikeB mntioned that large population imbalance due to press vs. real Testers

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Originally posted by jondifool

I think its worth remembering that what we see most in thesse pvp videos is highlights. And highlights is often about taking and defending keeps, especial the doors.

Its harder to see and appriciate the supply system , that is actual an anti zerg mechanic. Simply because that its possible to keep up a good defense if you can get the supplies to the keep.

A door being defended and repaired in a keep that actual gets a steady stream of supplies, can take forever for a zerg to batter down. Now this can look quite boring watching a zerg being hold in that way. But the zerg is just plaing the WvW inefficent by not starting taking out the supply lines first.   

Basicly there is a metagame thesse videos have a hard time to justify

Is literally a copy and paste of warhammer rvr but with 3 factions. WAR have the same system where you need supply to def/atk a keep, build ramps, siege machines etc, is exactly the same system, howewer the rvr system in war atm is even more complex than what we saw on this gw2 vids. But people still remember the ¨doorhammer¨ and from what i saw it will happen on gw2, even worse because you have ¨fast travel¨ icons all around your map, and you guys need to understand  how the MMO population think, if is more easy to cap an undefended keep or objetive, they´ll do that.  

Which is why you only get points for owning keeps, not the capture of it,  every 5 mins or so (dont quote the number) the score is tallied and you earn points for what you own.

If you just cap something and move on someone will be right there to take it back and build up the fortifications

Yes, Is exaclty like the ¨old days of warhammer¨, the same old system, i have 3 years playing war and like i said is literally a copy and paste of war rvr but with 3 factions. 

as far as i can remember you get points for the capture of objectives, so i can gain points every time i go somewhere and capture a new point instead of defending the one i captured, which is why keep hoping is popular and not defending a keep.

in war there were more keeps left un defended because you got a lot more points from attacking then defending

You can claim the objective by right-clicking it and waiting until the timer runs down. Once you have claimed the objective, you must defend it as the capture timer runs down. After you have successfully captured the Battlefield objective, you are granted Renown.

• Tier 1 BOs grant 400 Renown per capture

• Tier 2 BOs grant 600 Renown per capture

• Tier 3 BOs grant 800 Renown per capture

• Tier 4 BOs grant 1000 Renown per capture
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I think its worth remembering that what we see most in thesse pvp videos is highlights. And highlights is often about taking and defending keeps, especial the doors.

Its harder to see and appriciate the supply system , that is actual an anti zerg mechanic. Simply because that its possible to keep up a good defense if you can get the supplies to the keep.

A door being defended and repaired in a keep that actual gets a steady stream of supplies, can take forever for a zerg to batter down. Now this can look quite boring watching a zerg being hold in that way. But the zerg is just plaing the WvW inefficent by not starting taking out the supply lines first.   

Is literally a copy and paste of warhammer rvr but with 3 factions. WAR have the same system where you need supply to def/atk a keep, build ramps, siege machines etc, is exactly the same system, howewer the rvr system in war atm is even more complex than what we saw on this gw2 vids. But people still remember the ¨doorhammer¨ and from what i saw it will happen on gw2, even worse because you have ¨fast travel¨ icons all around your map, and you guys need to understand  how the MMO population think, if is more easy to cap an undefended keep or objetive, they´ll do that.  

Which is why you only get points for owning keeps, not the capture of it,  every 5 mins or so (dont quote the number) the score is tallied and you earn points for what you own.

If you just cap something and move on someone will be right there to take it back and build up the fortifications

Yes, Is exaclty like the ¨old days of warhammer¨, the same old system, i have 3 years playing war and like i said is literally a copy and paste of war rvr but with 3 factions. 

Can you attack from multiplke sides, place unlimited number of seige weapons in war?

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

as far as i can remember you get points for the capture of objectives, so i can gain points every time i go somewhere and capture a new point instead of defending the one i captured, which is why keep hoping is popular and not defending a keep.

in war there were more keeps left un defended because you got a lot more points from attacking then defending

You can claim the objective by right-clicking it and waiting until the timer runs down. Once you have claimed the objective, you must defend it as the capture timer runs down. After you have successfully captured the Battlefield objective, you are granted Renown.

Thats warhammer 3 years ago. Now WAR have a system where u need supply to cap/def, build siege weapons, upgrate ur keep and supply carriers, who can be killed btw,  it works exactly like we saw in the gw2 vids. I mean is a mix from all the systems of the last 3 years of warhammer, but they only way to drop a keep door war is with a siege weapon, gw2 looks like the ¨doorhammer golden age¨ atm. 

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Thats warhammer 3 years ago. Now WAR have a system where u need supply to cap/def, build siege weapons, upgrate ur keep and supply carriers, who can be killed btw,  it works exactly like we saw in the gw2 vids. I mean is a mix from all the systems of the last 3 years of warhammer, but they only way to drop a keep door war is with a siege weapon, gw2 looks like the ¨doorhammer golden age¨ atm. 

Thats how it should be. what good are a bunch of people attacking a castle door with regular weapons?   At least the door isnt the only way in.  The door heavily guarded?  knock down the walls with treb fire.

Didnt kno warhammer changed so much though.. good info thanks

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

*snip*

Except in GW2 all you get from capturing an objective are personal rewards (XP, gold & karma) and in the long run, once you've been level 80 for a while, those rewards will seem unimportant. The real rewards are only garnered by holding as many objectives your entire server possible can, which will heavily discourage Keep hopping and leaving vital objectives undefended.

Also this won't be DoorHammer 2.0 because we can do THIS. image

*snip*

Thats how it should be. what good are a bunch of people attacking a castle door with regular weapons?   At least the door isnt the only way in.  The door heavily guarded?  knock down the walls with treb fire.

Warhammer may have changed but the game is dying (constant server closures) and if they don't go F2P before GW2 comes out, then the game is as good as dead.

• Originally posted by st4t1ck

It looks like all walls are destructible both wooden and stone.  So the whole "doorhammer" point is completely wrong.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I've been seeing some gorgeous artwork in videos; brush strokes,attention to detail. Many players don't seem to put much value in the music of a game but I do. Everyone had that song the Epony girl sings in "Zelda" stuck in their head. I have heard some haunting piano solos in GW2 that are very moody, as well as some of the more familair,Jesper Kidd/WoW-type operetic pieces. The music I have heard is nice, and the artwork is easy on the eyes.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

So, as usual in pvp Ranged > mele. So much for groundbreaking !

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just wanted to say thanks MasterK! I don't think I've seen most of these videos before.

Nice find! And thanks for posting.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Beachcomber

So I heard that all characters have access to Ranged weapons (and melee weapons).

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by DJJazzy

So I heard that all characters have access to Ranged weapons (and melee weapons).

Also, ALL melee builds have access to closing/pursuit skills..and many have hamstring effects. There's not a lot of "I kite you till you die" going on here.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Shhh you will break his tropism about how ranged classes beat melee in MMO pvp, don't tell him about how all classes can be effective ranged combatants. You may upset him.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

I love how you blatantly failed to watch the very FIRST video in the entire thread! Well done!

Originally posted by terrant

Also, ALL melee builds have access to closing/pursuit skills..and many have hamstring effects. There's not a lot of "I kite you till you die" going on here.

If you get kited in this game that pretty much tells you that you are playing terribly. There is no excuse for that.

Originally posted by terrant

If you get kited in this game that pretty much tells you that you are playing terribly. There is no excuse for that.

Just watch the first video in the thread. It pretty much shows that this is blatantly false. (Has a hammer warrior pretty much dominating melee & range classes w/ equal ease. Only time he has trouble is when he gets dogpiled by a caster, necro, and a bunch of minions.

Oh I'm agreeing with you aesperus. 

What is happening in the cases where people complain about melee being owned is that they are used to other mmo conventions. The combat in GW2 is meant to fluid, that means weapon swaps, change of playstyles, using utility skills and not just damage skills. People will learn and adapt to it I'm sure. And if they don't? Well they won't enjoy the game very much then.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by aesperus

I love how you blatantly failed to watch the very FIRST video in the entire thread! Well done!

I watched the one where the ranged line up and take pot shots, while the mele run about like headless chickens.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I watched the one where the ranged line up and take pot shots, while the mele run about like headless chickens.

The fact remains that if the melee suck, they suck. You can't blame that on combat positioning but rather you should blame that more on the skill of the player.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

The fact remains that if the melee suck, they suck. You can't blame that on combat positioning but rather you should blame that more on the skill of the player.

This ^

The only place in PvP where melee are at a clear disadvantage is during keep sieges (during which they can simply just switch to a number of ranged weapons). However, depending on the class you can also run gank parties / intercept groups, attack supply lines, or infiltrate into the enemy's keep and try and pick off the defenders.

However, this will not prevent you from being terrible. A good example of this would be the permastealth thief videos. The ones in this thread show the thief playing laughably poor. However, there are earlier threads showing a permastealth thief completely dominating a match.

Not only do melee classes have quite a few gap closers, but they also have lots of stuns, knockdowns, and dazes to deal with ranged classes.

If you've PvPed much in GW1, you can expect a similar dynamic in GW2. There are already builds forming, and as certain ones get popular, people learn to expect and deal with those builds by forming counter builds. This isn't specific to ranged or melee classes at all, btw. It's just going to be a constantly revolving door of builds, meta builds, and balanced builds.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Master10K

Engineer PvP (720p) | TapRepeatedly

Why is this private now??? I just added it to my queue last night. Come on, TapRepeatedly, don't lock people out of your best videos!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Why is this private now??? I just added it to my queue last night. Come on, TapRepeatedly, don't lock people out of your best videos!

Huh? I watched it earlier. No idea why he put it on private now.

Edit: Found out what he had to say.

[UPDATE] "Youtube has decided to attempt to Stabilize the video, causing warping. I've disabled this and moved the video to PRIVATE but it needs to rebuffer. It should be rectified very shortly."

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

According to Lewis he had to reload it or something. So look for it in a bit. It is probably the best pure pvp video out there.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by DarkPony

What's that WAR RVR video doing in your list?

Oh wait ...

But seriously, I thought I was looking at a Warhammer RvR video a few times to be honest; bashing in doors, fighting npc guards and keep lords, funneled geography rather than wide and open, mainly fighting over premade objectives and the steamrolling of all players that happen to be in the way of the zerg , ....

Animation and sound wise it looked pretty great though, and I bet you can do a lot of fun things with trebuchets, reinforcements and whatnot (like WAR allowed for pots of oil, rams, etc).

First impression: Y U SO MUCH WAR RVR ANET?!

:- /

But WAR RVR consisted of Order versus Freekills, luckily in GW2 you don't have bright wizards running around wiping 40 people with one skill.