Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a PvPer I'm Disappointed

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, losing control of your character is not a good sign. Games littered with CC abilities end up being unfun.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Tera was originally designed as a PvE game.

PvP is something they just slapped on to make it more appealing to PvP crowd aswell.

"Battlegrounds" are about having right classes with proper gear to counter the enemy team.

"Open World" is a zergfest where the one with higher numbers/better gear wins.

This said Tera won't have the usual features you find in other MMOs with PvP and the game works rather differently than WoW for example. If you enjoy some PvP Tera is a potential game, but for hardcore PvP fans I 'd wait for GW2.

Well, different strokes for different folks. GW2 has PvE servers only and is a faction based game. If you want open world PvP in a factionless game, then Tera is more in your territory.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

You my friend are not a PvPer at all, you're a just a skill-less PKer crying that you want rewards for being a bad player like every other MMO gives you.  I'm proud to say that Tera does not cater to the likes of you at all.  You have to gull to come into this forum talking about how broken Tera is when you came from Mortal Online which should probably win an award for having the most unbalanced, buggy PvP for an online game.

You come in here complaining, TEARS, that Tera is unbalanced because you lost to a player 5 levels above you.  And then you turn around crying that you don't get exp for constantly ganking players, which by your logic would contribute even MORE to the imbalance.

Yes, the game gets more balanced when you level up and actually get your hands on PvP gear that you can get from rewards by not being a complete anti-social player and participating in GvG.  Guess what smart people are going to be doing at launch?  They are going to spend that first month getting into guilds, forming alliances, learning their class mechanics through PvE, and participating in full on Guild Wars.  While you and your friends(?)  run around in Outlaw trolling each other in low level PvP with clear level differences and wonder why Tera doesn't reward you for your bad playstyle, and eventually end up getting beat up by the REAL PvPers.

And please don't take it as an insult when I keep saying how bad your playstyle is.  In fact I'm super happy that you posted how much you despise Tera's PvP mechanics as it validates Tera as an anti-noob-gankfest. Tera will be the game that caters to large scale open world PvP where you have to learn to actively dodge/block attacks and work-together as a team to progress in both PvP and PvE.

About the Battle Grounds, that is going to hurt Tera's launch especially on the PvE servers, and they really need to get it fixed before GW2 comes out.  But at the same time I have to grudgingly agree with En Masse's decision as poorly implemented instanced PvP has ruined more than one MMO's World PvP, and that's where Tera's bread and butter is.  Tera does have truly epic PvE boss fights thanks to the action combat and BAM designs, but I do think that the Open World PvP and PvP community is really is where Tera is going to shine.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

As good and interesting tera pve gets, you cant expect its pvp to be that good, or fair for that matter. Maybe, once people hit max lvl, and its even playing field, its gonna be fun but until then in a game where gear matters this much, pvp is just a gear check. And thats not fun, not for me at least :p

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I never relied on gear to PvP against people 1 or two level below or above my level, always was fun regardless, especially rolling around in 5man groups assaulting other groups, sometimes bigger ones.

Thought id edit my post with something cause this was meant to be a post towards someone else but i got bumped to the next page and its not worth a quote.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

You my friend are not a PvPer at all, you're a just a skill-less PKer crying that you want rewards for being a bad player like every other MMO gives you.  I'm proud to say that Tera does not cater to the likes of you at all.  You have to gull to come into this forum talking about how broken Tera is when you came from Mortal Online which should probably win an award for having the most unbalanced, buggy PvP for an online game.

You come in here complaining, TEARS, that Tera is unbalanced because you lost to a player 5 levels above you.  And then you turn around crying that you don't get exp for constantly ganking players, which by your logic would contribute even MORE to the imbalance.

Yes, the game gets more balanced when you level up and actually get your hands on PvP gear that you can get from rewards by not being a complete anti-social player and participating in GvG.  Guess what smart people are going to be doing at launch?  They are going to spend that first month getting into guilds, forming alliances, learning their class mechanics through PvE, and participating in full on Guild Wars.  While you and your friends(?)  run around in Outlaw trolling each other in low level PvP with clear level differences and wonder why Tera doesn't reward you for your bad playstyle, and eventually end up getting beat up by the REAL PvPers.

And please don't take it as an insult when I keep saying how bad your playstyle is.  In fact I'm super happy that you posted how much you despise Tera's PvP mechanics as it validates Tera as an anti-noob-gankfest. Tera will be the game that caters to large scale open world PvP where you have to learn to actively dodge/block attacks and work-together as a team to progress in both PvP and PvE.

About the Battle Grounds, that is going to hurt Tera's launch especially on the PvE servers, and they really need to get it fixed before GW2 comes out.  But at the same time I have to grudgingly agree with En Masse's decision as poorly implemented instanced PvP has ruined more than one MMO's World PvP, and that's where Tera's bread and butter is.  Tera does have truly epic PvE boss fights thanks to the action combat and BAM designs, but I do think that the Open World PvP and PvP community is really is where Tera is going to shine.

Jesus christ man, what is wrong with you?

You need to see the doctor asap, all that anger. It has obviously hampered your ability to discuss matters in a rational and adult manner.

Some people...

* Waves at Pushkina *

That was who I was going to respond to, with a sincere, *calm down broski*.

Originally posted by komobo

You need to see the doctor asap, all that anger. It has obviously hampered your ability to discuss matters in a rational and adult manner.

Some people...

Please don't underestimate me.  I know a troll post when I see one.  People are free to bash Tera as much as they want, it's a free country. 

But on the other hand don't be upset when someone more informed about the game comes in and blows up their posts.  The point that I'm trying to get across is Tera really the first MMO that gives no reward to players that are truly bad at PvP like the OP, and this is a good thing.  A Very good thing!  I actually did not say anything rude like telling him to go back to Mortal Online or whatever.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by komobo

*Snip*

Some people...

I know it's difficult for people to interpret emotions based on the internet.  But actually taking the time to read the post really helps!

Now that, that's cleared up, did you actually have something meaningful to contribute in response to my post? Not really?  That's alright  :)

Or maybe we can go off-topic again and talk about each others feelings instead of talking about the game?  Should I open up a new thread for that?

Really, is that the only response you can muster?

Now, allow me to explain in simple terms. Prefacing your reply to the OP with insults does not make for a meaningful discussion, especially so when your insults are based on some wild accusations you somehow magically seem to have derived from the OP's post.

If anything, it is clear that you have no intention or are incapable of seeking such a discussion and as such your post does not warrant any response with the intend of discussing the content of your nonsensical post more so than any troll post. And for your sake, i do hope your post is nothing but troll regurgitation.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Wait, what?

When did GW2 become the place for "hardcore" PvPers? Laugh out loud. Because all they have is battlegrounds? Wow.

One, PvP in TERA will probably look different a month from now when Outlaw mode is more structured.

Two, although released late battlegrounds will likely be coming out the same time as GW2 and maybe server vs. server which blows anything GW2 might have out of the water. Oh, I might have to take that back since they have siege weapons...

I'm not going to get into the actual combat mechanics as it's even more hilarious than the PvP comment. GW2 might have a better quest delivery method and will be really fun to play but let's not get delusional

Just not worth my time anymore.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Wait, what?

When did GW2 become the place for "hardcore" PvPers? Laugh out loud. Because all they have is battlegrounds? Wow.

Real "hardcore" PvPers don't go after a gear grind or gank lower levels. GW2 "battlegrounds" are structured PvP with equal grounds for everyone so it is based on teamwork + skill. That's what PvP is about.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Weird and I always thought PvP was about killing other players. Who gives a shit if it's a "fair" fight or not.

If you're really into e-sport... ehm well you picked the wrong game genre.

Counter-Strike, Quake, Starcraft, Street Fighter etc <- e-sport games

Let role-playing games be what they are.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

I personally don't gank, I actually hunt gankers, but PvP can be a mode or an event. Which is considered "true" PvP is up for debate since originally PvP was a mode you always played in. WoW brought structured only PvP to the table and that's not meant as a slam, it's the truth.

Again, structured PvP would actually suit my playstyle better but I think the "real" PvP is where it can happen any time.

I don't like PvP gear either because PvP should be more about skill, not how much time you've invested. In the case of TERA this isn't as bad because there is a higher learning curve to be better so the extra time playing would help you regardless.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by sketchy_

Weird and I always thought PvP was about killing other players. Who gives a shit if it's a "fair" fight or not.

Which is exactly what GW2 is going for. :)

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

Wait, what?

One, PvP in TERA will probably look different a month from now when Outlaw mode is more structured.

Two, although released late battlegrounds will likely be coming out the same time as GW2 and maybe server vs. server which blows anything GW2 might have out of the water. Oh, I might have to take that back since they have siege weapons...

I'm not going to get into the actual combat mechanics as it's even more hilarious than the PvP comment. GW2 might have a better quest delivery method and will be really fun to play but let's not get delusional

I will address your sentences one at a time.

Apart from a minor comment by badspock about being a GW2 fan, no one else in this thread brought up GW2, so your first sentence seems kind of weird. The confusion may come because there is a type of fighting in Tera that they referred to as "Guild Wars" which is guild vs. guild structured combat.

If Outlaw mode is restructured a month from now, we can revisit it then. Meanwhile, it is what it is.

BGs will be coming out the same time as GW2 which has BGs.. ok. Server vs. Server MAY be coming out the same time as GW2 which already has server vs. server (with real objectives), including full on sieges(that actually matter), open world objectives, PvP incentives, etc. Or it may not come out till later, or it may not see light of day. *shrug

GW2 has a hybrid system that allows for both methods. You can tab target, but you can also use positional and twitch without tab targetting. Some things I can see the need for tab targetting(like extremely long shots with the long bow. someone above mentioned how to be shot with a bow he would have to be relatively close to you... in GW2 that is not the case.. and doesn't make sense for a bow imo anyways) but for the most part, tab targetting will make you less effective than not in PvP.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by indojabijin

Originally posted by sketchy_

Which is exactly what GW2 is going for. :)

GW2 won't have open world pvp. Which is the main reason I'm not going to play it.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• bakagamibakagami Member UncommonPosts: 152

Some of the people in this forum need to cut back on the caffiene...and maybe take a nap.  the guy was just stating his opinion, politely too & you guys attack him like he said something nasty about your mother

Well, it's kind of the same as the "no gear progression" comments regarding GW2 PvP. You see people who basically have no clue on how this game will evolve in PvP (PvP in Lineage 2 was awesome, even without the presence of castles), trying to defend (or attack) the game.

Personally I'm more annoyed by the "Just because you can, you do" mentality of western PvPers. I rather prefer how easterners are solving their issues in a PvP game. It even makes for less convolted game mechanics. Time will tell I guess.

@Mors

Look at Goldenarrows post, he's the one that mentioned GW2 being more hardcore.

TERA is still in CBTs and they have been changing things with each one. They already added to the infamy system for killing lowboys. True, the outlaw system could stay the same from there but we'll see. Then again, having the community handle their own business rather than a programmed one.

You didn't really explain what "actually matters" or "real objectives" meant as far as mass PvP goes but have you heard about TERAs server vs. server system? You want a real objective to PvP? How about invading another server and going to town on the inhabitants after you overran the servers fortress.

Mechanics? How would the choice to lock on not be as effective as having to aim? Admittedly I have no intentions to buy GW2 until I hear feedback so may I missed something. I watched a lot of combat videos and seen the sane boring tab target system.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by drakes821

How do other PvPers feel about this?

Lineage 2, which is in my opinion a great pvp game, didn't have sieges until several months after launch. And it worked out "fine".

I'm not concerned.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Oh wow...I'm a bit awstruck how you managed to muster up this reply based on my posts...but have come to the conclusion you lack the ability to have a discussion and as a result I will not be replying to anything you post on the forums. Have a good life!

And thank you everyone else who did reply, lots of good insight. I think the OWPvP will be enough to hold us over a while (all we did in the beta was level different classes to 12-14 and pvp around lumbertown so we enjoy it), and we'll look into getting involved in some GvG wars when we have money. If we get bored in the first month we'll just wait till more PvP features are added like suggested.

Thanks.

After Tera, I'm definitely not going back to any form of tab targetting based PvP.  If you want to kill someone you need to earn it, and as much as people who haven't gotten past level 20 will tell you otherwise, you do have to earn all your kills in Tera.  And you don't have to believe me, I know every WoW player in the world will tell you that WoW takes skill, even though that's nonsense.  They stack gear and mash their macros and their become PvP heroes until the next FotM patch.  And clearly a lot of people like that playstyle, you can even say the majority of players do considering how popular WoW, Rift, and SW:TOR is sub-wise.

Then on the other side of the spectrum you have your gankers.  Ultima online players who consider preying on players that can't fight back as their ideal form of PvP.  EVE probably does it the best as it turns Space piracy and griefing into a legitimate gameplay mechanic.  And that's fine as well, people want to be the bad guy.  Playing the good guy all the time isn't fun, people want that option to play the bad guy, and it makes PvP more interesting.

What Tera does right for me is that it really hits that sweet spot for PvP.  You get a nice heavily populated PvP server, so nobody should be asking for incentives to PvP or crying tears if they get ambushed and killed while PvEing.  But at the same time you have to earn those kills.  You're going to see a lot of players trying to stack stats, and run at another player face first and mash buttons trying to win.  But they will find out that Tera combat is completely devoid of win buttons, every arrow you land has to be accurately shot, and even then it's still possible to avoid it with strict timing/blocking.  At the same time Melees that close the gap aren't guaranteed free damage either, they have to time and direct their stuns, or their attacker will get out of range again.

The best part is that there's a whole community of PvP players to hang out and battle each other.  You're going to get to KNOW these dudes that are you are constantly waging war against.  That makes beating them all the more satisfying, and alliances and rivalries will be formed, and your actions in the community for better or worse, will be judged by the community when it's time for your guild to run for Vanarch. 

What I think is genius is that it's all natural, most of the stuff players learn about grouping and combat in PvE will transfer over into PvP, and majority of the PvE content is non-instanced creating tons of potential PvP opportunities.  This makes the translation from PvE to PvP in Tera much smoother then other game, and you will get a lot of PvE players that normally hate World PvP to play Tera's PvP.

Originally posted by drakes821

Oh wow...I'm a bit awstruck how you managed to muster up this reply based on my posts...but have come to the conclusion you lack the ability to have a discussion and as a result I will not be replying to anything you post on the forums. Have a good life!

And thank you everyone else who did reply, lots of good insight. I think the OWPvP will be enough to hold us over a while (all we did in the beta was level different classes to 12-14 and pvp around lumbertown so we enjoy it), and we'll look into getting involved in some GvG wars when we have money. If we get bored in the first month we'll just wait till more PvP features are added like suggested.

Thanks.

I'm not going to be made to look like the bad guy here, you come into this forums talking about your a PvP player and you're not getting awards for PvP.  But where you were really saying was that that you weren't getting rewarded for ganking players, and I corrected you, that it's not a problem with the game design's it's working as intended.

As you can see from my post count, I don't spend count a lot of time on the forums, but I'm getting sick of players that only played the game for less than a day making threads here stating their uninformed opinions as fact.

Unlike a lot of people here, I HAVE played K-Tera and W-Tera, both NA and EU versions, and what I say isn't baseless speculation.  Anybody with more knowledges of Tera mechanics then me feel free to call me out on any of my posts.  I'm sorry if feelings get hurt, but someone that actually knows what there talking about needs to step up and defend this game from the constant, unending stream of troll posts.

Now that you've stopped posting we can let another poorly made thread die.

Bigbad, theres just one thing, he does not come off as a troll and he is being pretty polite about it. I think you are being a little too aggressive, it reminds me back when I was making my first posts. I took anything negative as a direct insult to me. But over time you just learn to calm down and try to have reasonable discussions.

He asked for other PvPers opinions about PvP, not opinions on himself or his playstyle.