Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I miss playing an MMo with a fully open world and no loading screens..

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Does anyone else miss that?

Like the old WoW.. No loading screens for the inn's or zone changes. Just a change of weather and music.

Comments

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

Oh man, I really miss Asheron's Call !!!!!!

The best open world no loading times and no specific class MMO back in the days!

• a63ntorangea63ntorange Member Posts: 26

try fallen earth, no seriously give it a shot and make it to level 15, before you rage quit.

• OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34

When I saw the title I thought it was about Asheron's call. That was the best open world mmo.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Vanguard is going F2P this summer.  Doesn't get any more open and seamless than that.  Even the dungeons and raids are non-instanced.  

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I miss when MMOs were worlds and not the just the next game.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

"Seamless open world" used to be a respected feature.

To be fair though, it is a huge undertaking in comparison to going the instanced route.

It has become vastly more expensive and time-consuming to make a modern seamless mmo.

But at the same time, for SWTOR at least, EA could've invested in providing seamless worlds instead of the excessive voice acting and other superfluous things they poured so much of their budget into that don't really contribute to the longevity of the game.

I'm with ya.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Play the 14 day trial of Vanguard see what you think ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Vanguard saga of heros and AC are the only two i can think of that is not insta*or heavy insta*  i tell ya i was in a cave in vanguard today and it felt so real and alive. It was awesome.  The exit of the cave going into thhe world just made it feel so real and the fact that the cave monsters kept running after me when i was out was funny to lol.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

I would rather sub or wait for it to be f2p  to try it, the  island does not give it a good feel to be honest. I resub to the game and made a goblin DK and starting him on the main land. It was far better and no insta zones at all. Love it thus far!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Indol

"Seamless open world" used to be a respected feature.

To be fair though, it is a huge undertaking in comparison to going the instanced route.

It has become vastly more expensive and time-consuming to make a modern seamless mmo.

But at the same time, for SWTOR at least, EA could've invested in providing seamless worlds instead of the excessive voice acting and other superfluous things they poured so much of their budget into that don't really contribute to the longevity of the game.

I'm with ya.

Sure,BW should have made each planet touch each other so you would be able to walk to them.  Takes care of the little spaceship issues as well.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yeah, I miss that as well. One of the reasons SWTOR didn't stuck with me. Every loading screen is like a pair of scissors snipping your umbilical cord of immersion. V_V

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DarkPony

Yeah, I miss that as well. One of the reasons SWTOR didn't stuck with me. Every loading screen is like a pair of scissors snipping your umbilical cord of immersion. V_V

Do you think of elevators as loading screens in the real world?

j/k.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

There is one upcoming game vith very very little loading screens , - ArcheAge ,there even won't be loading screen between contients.

It is still long way till it hits western shores though.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Sarariel

Like the old WoW.. No loading screens for the inn's or zone changes. Just a change of weather and music.

WoW has always been instanced and had loading screens.

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

That and how every NPC i kill sprungs back to life after few minutes. Why the hell they don't stay dead? talking about immersion why when i die i don't stay dead? in real world one bullet from blaster or one swing of lightsaber would be enough to kill me. Damn immersion breakers.

*shakes fist*

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Darkfall- AGON a huge open world with no loading screens one of best open worlds no limitations on climbing mountains swimming seas/lakes/rivers.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

DeepPony.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Do you think of elevators as loading screens in the real world?

j/k.

No :) At least elevators move physically and actually save you time from walking stairs.

Long queues at grocery stores or traffic jams are much worse V_V

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

Is seamlessness really such an issue for you? Is it just the loading screen that bothers you or is the feel of the world not being one big piece? Like with Eve online its not exactly a seamless world, but jumping from one system to another is pratically instant.

I only ask because I have this idea about world building, saw the thread and wanted to gauge if seamlessness is the actually issue or the loading screen... :)

• AnkurAnkur Member Posts: 334

Originally posted by Banden

Is seamlessness really such an issue for you? Is it just the loading screen that bothers you or is the feel of the world not being one big piece? Like with Eve online its not exactly a seamless world, but jumping from one system to another is pratically instant.

I only ask because I have this idea about world building, saw the thread and wanted to gauge if seamlessness is the actually issue or the loading screen... :)

I also find it surprising that people make such a huge deal about it. Of all the obvious immersion breaking things in the world this is the one people focus on. It is ok to have unlimited lives and npc's which just sprung up after being killed for millionth time but the moment you see a laoding screens people freak out. Convenient.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Sarariel

Old WoW was still too closed for me.  Vanilla WoW still had artificial barriers with mountains, hills, cliffs, water, building geometry and a host of other methods used to segment the world into zones.  I much prefer the way Skyrim or Asherons Call does it....see a place and you can visit it.  This method opens up the possibility for exploration like nothing else can. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

I think they both matter, but the length of the wait is directly proportional to the amount of immersion breakage. Once it gets past a few seconds my mind starts wandering away from the game. Maybe I can has ADD but I think this goes for most people.

edit: In EVE the wait is so short that it never really bothered me. Also the gates have a role in the game for campers and hostile players and a lot of pvp gameplay is focussed on them. Essentially they've incorporated the zoning mechanism into gameplay which is pretty smart.

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

I dont mind loading screens where it is appropriate, like for instaced dungeons. But what i do not like, are these constricted movie set like "worlds", with mindlessly placed mobs, just standing around for no reason waiting to be killed.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Both things matter. I don't like fragmented world, just knowing that it is fragmented is disturbing (even if I don't know precise why) , actual impact for gameplay and loading times (AND FREQUENCY as well  10 loading screens in short amount of time ,even if they are like 5 s each is immersion breaking and annoying maybe even in worse way that 1-2 long every know and then).

Anyway both of those things matter. 

EvE is special case - first of all their zones are huge , secondly loading is very fast , lastly this is game where you basically play spaceship and things like jump gates are known to all / most sc-fi fans and can even add to immersion in a way.

Same thing does not apply to game where you play as humanoid character. Even if it is sc-fi - see STO and Swtor.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Go back to Dransik Online. Open world, tradeskills to train, no loadscreens, no instances.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.