Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO was the biggest disappointment for you?

Comments

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

all of them.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by Sephastus

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by Sephastus

trollface

For me, it was GW2. After so much hype and so much reading into it and testing, I had high hopes for it... but then while playing, I realized level 1 was the same as level 40, and the same as level 80! There was no incentive to really play the game other than to kill some time before the next MMO came out. And what really did it in for me was the inclusion of the cash shop. They said it was only going to be for cosmetic stuff, but then they kept on adding stuff. first revival orbs, then mounts, and finally timed items that would grant you a bonus for a few minutes at the cost of a few dollars. I couldn't take it anymore so I quit.

O wait... too soon??  /trollface

(Let me have some fun :-P )

Interesting, are you saying there is no 'level' progression in GW2? 

I was teasing. GW2 is a solid and good game with progression IF you do PvE. If you go strictly PvP, you can get all the good stuff right away, as you are autoleveled to 80 and your skills are autotuned to that of a level 80. Gear equivalent as well. Anyways, if you want more details, the GW2 forum is full of it, and organized much better. Now, no more derailing this interesting thread, I was just putting in a little bit of laughter (yeah, i know, i have dry humor :-P).

*PHEW* :D  - Almost made me pull a Haydensen Vader ... "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Not to burst the bubble but ya ..... I wouldnt call leveling in this game proggresion.  Leveling is a "side game" that has no long term value other than maybe the expansion.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

I really got tricked by AOC. It started off so brilliant, But four feet from the shore there was a mile deep drop off nobody saw coming. I swore I would never be fooled again. Then turned right around and let the same thing happen to me with SWTOR. This is why my wife makes all the important decisions in our family :O).

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Distopia

Tie AOC and LOTRO. Simply because the games orginally talked about (albeit Middle earth online was going to be made by perpetual if I remember correctly) were vastly different than the games we eventually got.

Both sounded awesome in early design previews, neither turned out like that.

Agreed.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

SWTOR, no doubt. I love Star Wars, so it's pretty difficult to make me dislike Star Wars themed entertainment. BioWare (Well, EA games tbh) managed.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Combat Downgrade or the No Game Experience...  take your pick.  

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Should have added Vanguard to that list.  The original "WoW Killer",  yeah right.   The first hugely hyped MMO in existence( I say this because pre-WoW, there were not nearly as many people playing MMO's, thus making the hype a lot larger that before) , but an ultimate fail.  Can argue all you want, but pre-WoW there was not nearly as many MMOers at the time, so when Vanguard was set to release there was X-times the amount of MMOers looking for the next MMO compared to pre-WoW.

Not exactly "my" biggest dissappointment, but one of the first huge ones for the community(except maybe SWG).

For me, SWG, loved the game, even stomached it through NGE and all the shit it had been flung throughout the years, but hot damn it was one huge buggy mess.  Even the people who cried wanting pre-CU back, I mean seriously, the game was a complete programmer's nightmare even in the old days.  Let's face some facts, the pvp was complete and utter trash, while I will admit to TONS of endless fun pvping on it, who creates such overpowered thing such as CM dots/disease and the lol factor of a dot/fire proc from a randomly dropped weapon being the deciding factor of who wins a battle? And even before that, Imperials running around with 3 nearly unstoppable AT-ST "pets" nuking everything in sight?  Granted I'll admit I was a bit sad that they made them useless over time. 

Biggest dissappointment ever.  SWG

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

FFXIV.

After FFXI I was looking forward to it much more than any MMO ever, but it was just terrrible at launch. It managed to break pretty much everything I loved about FFXI and then add nothing new. It didn't even have chocobos. BOO!

Other games have been equally dire, but no game has disappointed me nearly as much.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I think my biggest disappointment was Darkfall.  I loved the open world, FFA full looting aspect but the combat was pretty bad, and the magic seemed useless.  Also, the grind was just too much for me to handle.  I can handle a grind if it is fun,(with intermitent breaks for pking or the like) but in Darkfall you weren't going to pk shit unless you macroed to hell and back.

Vanguard I enjoyed despite the bugs back when there was a high population on the FFA PVP server (which no longer exists).  The open world combat in that game world was just fun as hell in my opinion.  Fun enough that i didn't care all that much about falling through the world every day.   Only left due to the gold duping and subsequent population exodus.

I actually had a lot of fun with AoC and even went back to it a few times.  Combat was great but it's not much fun with low population.

Warhammer was a big disappointment, especially for a tabletop gamer like me.  It was just WoW reskinned.  Yuck.

SWTOR was a big disappointment mainly due to my own stupidity.  I knew it would suck.  Played the beta weekend.  Bought it anyway.  Quit within a month.  Totally not my type of game, i don't know how the hype tricked me into it.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Final Fantasy XIV is the single worst purchase I've ever made in my life, and it's the worst MMO I've ever played.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

For me it's definitely Warhammer online with Age of Conan as second. Both of those games are really good early on but lack in endgame imo. There are many aspects of both games that are very good though.

If Warhammer had the crisp responsiveness of WoW's combat and one+ more year of development on endgame mainly I believe it could have been awesome, that game has so much potential in my eyes, if only they hadn't been pushed by EA to release early :/. Tier 1 Pvp of  Warhammer aswell as tortage in AoC are the best two areas of any MMO's so far imo, it's a shame that the games go downhill after that. My expectations for the rest of the games were skyhigh after having played those areas ;(

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Everything after Neocron (including Neocron 2.0) really. ;)

If I had to name a single one though, I would go with SWTOR.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Mundus

Everything after Neocron (including Neocron 2.0) really. ;)

If I had to name a single one though, I would go with SWTOR.

Nothing to date has beaten Neocron, one awesome game ****syncronising***.  SWOTOR for me too, I wanted to love it but just bored me, ah well.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

As a D&D fan, hands down DDO.  Turbine completely fucked up a lot of core mechanics and the essence of D&D wasn't ever achieved.  All it achieved was a massive relentless gear grind and stats game.  Funny how fans can make better MMOs in their PW of NWN/NWN2 which achieves the essence of D&D and actually know how to stick to the rules. 

Hoping Neverwinter achieves where DDO failed.

• a63ntorangea63ntorange Member Posts: 26

After swg pre cu, i was really excited about a new star wars IP mmorpg.  Unfortunately I got to beta test in the stress test, for about 4 hours, before i deleted it from my computer.  Absolutely nothing like it, and just another wow clone rip off, with terrible graphics.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Recently...

Rift.. They promised we weren't going to be in Azeroth anymore but in the end it felt more casual than the WoW that i quit several years ago because I felt it was too casual (ie they went the wrong direction)

Honorable Mention

Vanguard:  I seriously loved this game, in all fairness it wasn't the game that disspointed me, it was the support it got. Alot of MMOs experience buggy periods at release but its almost as if they concentrated on fixing the wrong things sometimes (like doing class balancing which resulted in balanced classes becoming severely overpowered /cough druids). Granted it had a very rocky start but it had the heart and soul of an MMO that was a worthy successor to EverQuest.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Vanguard!

The classes, the world, the crafting.... they just didnt give it enough time. Also the game engine was a mess, theres no other way to say it. SoE did what they could to clean it up, but good god it ran like crap, even on amazing computers.

Hoping for a repolish and revival for F2P but after the first time my expectations are not very high.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Like a poster above I was also very disappointed in Rift.....A very generic game that truly felt like it brought absolutely nothing to the genre.....ANyone with much MMO experience recognized right away that they took alot of things from other games and basically pasted them into their own......They hired alot of former devs from Warhammer and it looked as if they just continued on with that game......Honorable mention goes to Vanguard.....A disaster of a game that should have been great and wasn't even hardly playable.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    EQ2 - was expecting a modern EQ.
  • MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481
    For me it has to be GW2. I will never be stung like that again. Was really looking forward to it, but huge disappointment. What? It hasn't been released yet? So what, it's just going to have the same reaction anyway, just getting my bitching in firt before all the threads come out.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Age of Conan. I was really looking forward to a dark, gritty, adult-themed MMO set in the hyborian age. What I got was an unpolished, incomplete, incredibly buggy and nigh-unplayable mess of an MMO. As far as themes go, they pretty much just added boobs and said, "We've got TITS! That makes our game mature, right?".  /facepalm

Even today it features a distinct lack of optimization and polish. Such a damned shame. Robert E. Howard would kill himself again of SHAME if he saw what Funcom did to his work.

It's why I don't have high hopes for TSW. Hopefully Funcom won't repeat past mistakes, but...

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Aion for me.  Not really the games fault really...I just hyped it up to much on a personal level and it wasn't even close to what I expected.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Easily FFXIV for me.  Though my expectations for the game weren't exactly high, the result was below even them.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

So many people voted SWTOR. 

The marketing team working on SWTOR should all be given massive bonuses!  [Mod Edit]

If someone tells you "This food i'm feeding you tastes like shit"

You expect it to taste like shit so you aren't disappointed if it does...